OR - Militia members occupy federal building in Oregon after protest #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Prosecutors said the Hammonds set a fire that burned about 130 acres in 2001, to cover up poaching. They were sentenced to five years in prison."...
..."The Hammonds, who are set to turn themselves in Monday afternoon, have said they set the fire to reduce the growth of invasive plants and to protect their property from wildfires, CNN affiliate KTVZ reported."
[video=cnn;us/2016/01/03/oregon-armed-protesters-occupy-federal-land-sandoval-dnt.cnn]http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/03/us/oregon-wildlife-refuge-protest/index.html[/video]

Trying to figure out the crux of the argument.

That doesn't look like 300 people...
JMO

The fire quickly raged out of control, trapping
Dusty near a creek and forcing others who were
camping and hunting in the area to flee. Pet. App. 3;
C.A. E.R. 97-100, 158-159, 207. Dusty thought he
“was going to get burned up” by the 8-to-10-foot-high
flames, but the 13-year-old managed to escape on his
own.
C.A. E.R. 207. The fire damaged 139 acres of
federal land and required that the tract be removed
from production for two growing seasons. Pet. App. 3;
C.A. E.R. 287-289.
The fire destroyed any evidence of petitioners’ illegal
deer hunt. C.A. E.R. 248-250. Petitioners then
attempted to cover up their arson. When Dusty made
it back to the ranch after escaping the fire, Dwight
and Steven both ordered him to “keep [his] mouth
shut” about what they had done

http://www.justice.gov/sites/defaul...02/12/hammond-cert2-br_in_opp-osg_aay_v2b.pdf

Ew. Get these <modsnip> wanna-be terrorists OUT of my state, please.

Ritzheimer's a known member of a terrorist organization (white nationalist) and he's not even FROM here.

But seriously, an armed takeover of a wildlife refuge? Are they taking it over from the prairie dogs?

Ha ha, that made me snort!

Ritzheimer's a known member of a terrorist organization (white nationalist) and he's not even FROM here.

But seriously, an armed takeover of a wildlife refuge? Are they taking it over from the prairie dogs?

They have taken over a federal building which houses employees for the wildlife refuge.

How long can this last?

Armed Group Vows to Hold Federal Wildlife Office in Oregon &#8216;for Years&#8217;

04oregon-web03-master675.jpg

http://static01.nyt.com/images/2016/01/03/us/04oregon-web03/04oregon-web03-master675.jpg

Hmmm....so none of them have families or work to get back too? No children to raise? No obligations? SMH
They may want to stay there for a long as possible, because I would think what they have done is a federal crime and they will be prosecuted and this time spend many years behind bars.

Forgive my ignorance but who *are* these guys? Upthread someone said one of them is a known white supremacist. Are they all?

I don't really understand what they stand for. Are they like the Aryan Brotherhood types who hole up in the hills with tons of guns and think the govt is somehow out to get them? Basically domestic terrorists like Tim McVeigh and friends?

Somewhat odd, imo.
Although there are always two sides (or more) to a story.... that bit with the arson is pretty serious. Even if it WAS a 'controlled' burn, what if there'd been campers ? That is, after all, public land !
And you really cannot do any kind of burning on land that's not your own property , afaik.

And I highly doubt they'll be there for years -- don't they have jobs to go to ?

I'm all for the right to protest in certain situations, and in the U.S. many of us are attached to our freedom to express ourselves -- but you still need to be responsible about it.
And, also like to know more about the person I'm protesting for.
:moo:

The Bundy family has gained some notoriety in NV due to run ins with authorities over use of federal lands for grazing rights. They became involved in widely covered armed standoffs with federal authorities in 2014

They seem to have taken up the cause of the Hammonds and embarked upon this occupation as a means to further publicize their own stance that lands should not be held or their use restricted by the government.

The refuge headquarters was empty at the time of the seizure, Harney County, Oregon, Sheriff Dave Ward said in a statement.

"These men came to Harney County claiming to be part of militia groups supporting local ranchers, when in reality these men had alternative motives to attempt to over throw the county and federal government in hopes to spark a movement across the United States," Ward said.

"We are currently working jointly with several organizations to make sure the citizens of Harney County are safe and this issue is resolved as quickly and peaceful as possible," he said, adding that no other areas in Harney County are in "immediate danger."
http://abcnews.go.com/US/militia-fa...eral-land-national-wildlife/story?id=36064909

Can someone break it down for me Barney style? They're upset that someone was convicted for arson, so they took over a wildlife refuge in protest.

Are there employees of that refuge IN that building at this time? ETA: Just saw the above post, disregard question :p

Forgive my ignorance but who *are* these guys? Upthread someone said one of them is a known white supremacist. Are they all?

I don't really understand what they stand for. Are they like the Aryan Brotherhood types who hole up in the hills with tons of guns and think the govt is somehow out to get them? Basically domestic terrorists like Tim McVeigh and friends?

The BLM is trying to take land from many people and every one is mad. The media is making it appear they are crazy loons and it seems people dont care as long as it isnt their property being taken or their rights being imposed on.

That is the simple version .

The BLM is trying to take land from many people and every one is mad. The media is making it appear they are crazy loons and it seems people dont care as long as it isnt there property being taken or their rights being imposed on.

That is the simple version .

I can understand the desire to protest that, it is a valid reason to protest.

But armed takeovers of a federal facility is not protest. That is hostile takeover, an act of terroristic aggression. JMO.

I can understand the desire to protest that, it is a valid reason to protest.

But armed takeovers of a federal facility is not protest. That is hostile takeover, an act of terroristic aggression. JMO.

Well it could be a response to the BLM employee torching on of the landowners homes. Not sure but maybe.That does not make it right .Also The BLM went in armed . Before all this.

To be clear, in this situation BLM refers to Bureau of Land Management, correct?

To be clear, in this situation BLM refers to Bureau of Land Management, correct?

Yes it does.

I cant link , but you can see some videos on you tube of the stuff the media wont show you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lilhuda