OR OR - Union Co, Finley Creek Jane Doe, UnsFem 14-25, UP11902, preg, on wooded hillside, Aug'78

Hey folks, hope this helps a little bit....

A few months ago, I reached out to Dr. Vance at the Oregon State Medical Examiner's office in response to this case (In fact, @theshadow45 I believe you were the one to inspire me to reach out to her on this case). I received a response shortly afterwards and it read the following:

"Good afternoon, Jason:
Unfortunately, we have very little information on this case, as it was found in the archived files at the Medical Examiner’s Office. The body was cremated many years ago (as was standard protocol back then, when someone persisted in being unidentified) and there are no photos of the cranium for any type of reconstruction.
She is listed under NamUs UP# 11902, if you want to peruse the profile we’ve created for her at www.NamUs.gov
The reports are confidential, as it is still considered an ongoing investigation.
Sorry I couldn’t help more. Thanks for reaching out, Nici"

So there are some things here that we have learned. One is that there are no remains to analyze or extract DNA from. She has been cremated. More than likely, her remains are probably at the MEO in Clackamas, Oregon (more the 250 miles away). Also, based on older posts from this forum, it appears she only has dental records, but no DNA...this is going to be a hard case to solve.

So tomorrow, I am going to plan something a bit ambitious. After work, I plan to drive out to LaGrande and do some research on the case using the same methods I've been using in previous cases: microfilms of old newspapers that may have reported this case. Afterwards, I will do some photography of the area where Jane Doe was found and will see what I and others can do to build a proper profile on this case.

I ask everyone to bear with me as I do this. Thanks! :)

A few months ago, I reached out to Dr. Vance at the Oregon State Medical Examiner's office in response to this case (In fact, @theshadow45 I believe you were the one to inspire me to reach out to her on this case). I received a response shortly afterwards and it read the following:

"Good afternoon, Jason:
Unfortunately, we have very little information on this case, as it was found in the archived files at the Medical Examiner’s Office. The body was cremated many years ago (as was standard protocol back then, when someone persisted in being unidentified) and there are no photos of the cranium for any type of reconstruction.
She is listed under NamUs UP# 11902, if you want to peruse the profile we’ve created for her at www.NamUs.gov
The reports are confidential, as it is still considered an ongoing investigation.

So there are some things here that we have learned. One is that there are no remains to analyze or extract DNA from. She has been cremated. More than likely, her remains are probably at the MEO in Clackamas, Oregon (more the 250 miles away). Also, based on older posts from this forum, it appears she only has dental records, but no DNA...this is going to be a hard case to solve.

So tomorrow, I am going to plan something a bit ambitious. After work, I plan to drive out to LaGrande and do some research on the case using the same methods I've been using in previous cases: microfilms of old newspapers that may have reported this case. Afterwards, I will do some photography of the area where Jane Doe was found and will see what I and others can do to build a proper profile on this case.

Love that you’re getting out there and actually doing something proactive. Thank you. Look forward to hearing any updates from you.

It's very disappointing to hear that there's a good chance that the only identifier for FCJD will be her dental chart as it is unlikely that DNA will be an option with her body having been creamated and almost no chance of a composite being done for her. I do have to say though Jason, that your drive to investigate these cases personally in whatever way you can and speak for those like this UID who cannot do so on their own behalf is inspiring. I think that your efforts can only do good in situations like these where there is little else to go on. Best of luck to you with your research!

"Good afternoon, Jason:

You Rock !!!!
fabf9a56_msn-emotions-pig-8.gif

"Good afternoon, Jason:

Thank you Jason. You're great!

UPDATE: My contact, Katie Townsend of Eastern Oregon University’s library, helped me locate some news articles on the case that should paint a clear picture of what happened. It appeared the woman was strangled to death, as there was a cord found with the body. She had been located along a deer trail near a campsite where hunters typically stayed called the Finley Creek Camp.

Sounds like there is tons of information in the four articles alone that suggest that she was murdered by some significant other or a john.

I wonder if Dr. Vance knows about these clippings.

Attachments

• DBD5C512-E2A6-449D-B7E9-215E99F6D918.jpeg
    DBD5C512-E2A6-449D-B7E9-215E99F6D918.jpeg
    224.7 KB · Views: 150
  • 25774BDD-8A7B-471A-89E3-1267D287D910.jpeg
    25774BDD-8A7B-471A-89E3-1267D287D910.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 157
  • 1ABA6AF5-EAD1-4DD1-8D39-B53DD881719E.jpeg
    1ABA6AF5-EAD1-4DD1-8D39-B53DD881719E.jpeg
    211.8 KB · Views: 149
  • C1201BD2-99CD-4EC8-AC76-7C6CA748F41F.jpeg
    C1201BD2-99CD-4EC8-AC76-7C6CA748F41F.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 131
Great find on those articles, Jason! I had the feeling that there had to be more to this Jane Doe's story than what little we originally knew about. In one of the articles it was mentioned that there was a potential candidate for FCJD's identity, a Teena Bradford who had been missing from the area for approximately a year by 1978. I wonder whether she was ever ruled out, also if she was found or if she is currently still unaccounted for?

Great find on those articles, Jason! I had the feeling that there had to be more to this Jane Doe's story than what little we originally knew about. In one of the articles it was mentioned that there was a potential candidate for FCJD's identity, a Teena Bradford who had been missing from the area for approximately a year by 1978. I wonder whether she was ever ruled out, also if she was found or if she is currently still unaccounted for?

I searched for a while on Teena Bradford (and a couple of variations) and her companion, but I couldn't find anything. At least not that she was a missing person. Of course she could be, but never reported.

I searched for a while on Teena Bradford (and a couple of variations) and her companion, but I couldn't find anything. At least not that she was a missing person. Of course she could be, but never reported.

I have been researching this "Teena Bradford" name as well and have also tried various versions of the name to no avail. I even used some of the bigger Eastern Oregon towns to trace her (Pendleton, La Grande, Baker City, Ontario) and nothing pops up. I am thinking about reaching out to the Union County Sheriffs Office to see if they would be at liberty to discuss that lead 40 years later. Based on what the tipster told the line, this Teena Bradford matches the description of the Jane Doe to a T.

For those not familiar with Eastern Oregon or never been, you must understand this. The Eastern portion of the state is desert, very similar format as Nevada and most parts of Idaho. The towns are also strikingly similar to rural desert towns: populations less than 10,000, not a whole lot of things to do, everyone knows everyone, etc. Typically there is only a handful of doctors around and if you are not close to a bigger city, help will not get to you for at least an hour or so if you are in trouble. That being said---I am pretty shocked this woman hasn't been identified yet if she was from around there. However, something tells me she could be from somewhere further out. The nearest "big" cities around La Grande would be Portland (roughly 4 hours), Bend (About 3 1/1) and Boise (2 hours).
I would rule out Nevada because if the goal was to discreetly hide a body, I don't think anyone would have a problem doing that deep in the desert. So it has to be three of those cities the woman was from, or at least I assume.
I will continue to follow up with the Teena Bradford lead and if its exhausted, then at least we have information about what happened to this Jane Doe and a more descriptive account of the goings on that day.

So I have a quick update that may interest everyone! I reached out to the UCSO this morning, and I received an email back around 1 this afternoon. There is a very interesting twist to this: the UCSO was not a formalized unit in 1977; the policing of the county was done by the Oregon State Police unit in La Grande. There was a sheriff, however he has since passed away. Here is what the email read:

Thank you for your email. I hadn’t heard of this case and it made for interesting reading. Unfortunately I’m not able to answer any of your questions. It doesn’t appear as if the Sheriff’s Office had any involvement in this case. I spoke to retired Sheriff Steve Oliver (who was a patrol officer in Wallowa, OR at that time), who told me that at this time frame the Sheriff here had no patrol deputies so there would have been no deputieshere to assist the State Police. Bob Price was the Sheriff during that timebut he passed away several years ago. Sheriff Oliver also told me that John Spiker, the OSP crime lab Sergeant mentioned in the articles, lives in Pendleton, Oregon.

I’m sorry I’m not able to be of any help. Good luck in your research.

Catherine Falck, Office Manager
Union County Sheriff’s Office

This means, my next step will be to reach out to the Eastern Oregon La Grande Division of the OSP. Stay tuned!

So I have a quick update that may interest everyone! I reached out to the UCSO this morning, and I received an email back around 1 this afternoon. There is a very interesting twist to this: the UCSO was not a formalized unit in 1977; the policing of the county was done by the Oregon State Police unit in La Grande. There was a sheriff, however he has since passed away. Here is what the email read:

Thank you for your email. I hadn’t heard of this case and it made for interesting reading. Unfortunately I’m not able to answer any of your questions. It doesn’t appear as if the Sheriff’s Office had any involvement in this case. I spoke to retired Sheriff Steve Oliver (who was a patrol officer in Wallowa, OR at that time), who told me that at this time frame the Sheriff here had no patrol deputies so there would have been no deputieshere to assist the State Police. Bob Price was the Sheriff during that timebut he passed away several years ago. Sheriff Oliver also told me that John Spiker, the OSP crime lab Sergeant mentioned in the articles, lives in Pendleton, Oregon.

This means, my next step will be to reach out to the Eastern Oregon La Grande Division of the OSP. Stay tuned!
Thanks for keeping us updated! Love your work.

Thanks and good luck!! Again a wonderful job Jason!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeanBean
Back