Identified! PA - Delaware Co, Ridley Creek State Park, WhtFem 25-45, UP14642, rings w/initials, Jan'16 - Name Withheld

I have a question. In these UID cases, are the estimated ages (and height) usually accurate? Is there much room for error? I know the estimated age range (or height) doesn't match here, but what about Holly Grim? I guess I'm just wondering if in the past you guys have seen initial estimations that turned out to be incorrect. Tia.

Family of Amanda De Guio waiting on report of body found in Ridley Creek Park http://www.delcotimes.com/article/DC/20160103/NEWS/160109922

AR-160109922.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

Joanne De Guio received a call from the Pennsylvania State Police asking for information on her child. “The remains could very well be Amanda De Guio,” police Superintendent Michael Chitwood said. “Her body could have been there since 2014.” According to Chitwood, Lt. William Kane is the lead investigator on the De Guio case.

I didn't consider Amanda because her height is listed as 5'2" which wouldn't match a tall woman. :waitasec:

I have a question. In these UID cases, are the estimated ages (and height) usually accurate? Is there much room for error? I know the estimated age range (or height) doesn't match here, but what about Holly Grim? I guess I'm just wondering if in the past you guys have seen initial estimations that turned out to be incorrect. Tia.

Height estimates are notoriously inaccurate, both with regard to the missing person, and the UID (especially if they are skeletal). But we pretty much are stuck having to rely on what little info they given us, or any missing women of any age, any race, and any height would be possible.

I used to do +/-4 inches on the height estimate when trying to match UIDs to MPs, but I don't do it anymore because height isn't as reliable as we previously thought. For one, a body will shrink after death and may appear several inches shorter than the person was in life. Two, in case of partial remains, the height estimate may come from only one or two specific bones, which leaves more room for error since the medical examiner/forensic anthropologist didn't have much to work with. The height listed on a MP report is probably an estimate that came from a family member, and that's not really something you should rely on, especially if they haven't seen the MP in years.

It's a plus if the height is consistent, but you definitely shouldn't rule out a potential match just because the height is off.

Height estimates are notoriously inaccurate, both with regard to the missing person, and the UID (especially if they are skeletal). But we pretty much are stuck having to rely on what little info they given us, or any missing women of any age, any race, and any height would be possible.

I used to do +/-4 inches on the height estimate when trying to match UIDs to MPs, but I don't do it anymore because height isn't as reliable as we previously thought. For one, a body will shrink after death and may appear several inches shorter than the person was in life. Two, in case of partial remains, the height estimate may come from only one or two specific bones, which leaves more room for error since the medical examiner/forensic anthropologist didn't have much to work with. The height listed on a MP report is probably an estimate that came from a family member, and that's not really something you should rely on, especially if they haven't seen the MP in years.

It's a plus if the height is consistent, but you definitely shouldn't rule out a potential match just because the height is off.

Thanks for your responses and for everyone's amazing work and efforts here on all these unidentified persons.

And yes, it's very very common for initial descriptions like this to be off on many factors--sex, height, age, everything.

That first link takes one to the Kortne Stoufer page on the site of NamUs (National Missing and Unidentified Persons System). I remembered her from the Jamie Metzger case, where people turned me on to the NamUs database. I pulled and mapped all of its entries for women reported missing since 2010. (But that was in late June, and doubtless somewhat out of date by now). Here's a screen shot of it with the Stoufer marker selected. The red star is for the location of the park where the remains were found. Here's a link to the map.

Screenshot 2016-01-04 at 6.54.06 PM.jpg

It looks to be an almost straight shot down 322 from where Kortne was last seen to where the unidentified remains were found..

new details:

The skeletal remains were those of a white female in her late teens to late 20s. No identification would be made until an autopsy is completed later in the week.

The woman was about 5-foot-3, authorities said in new details released Monday afternoon, with a slender build, "prominent teeth," and either light brown or blonde hair and believed to have worn a size 9 shoe.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/l..._found_in_Delco_park.html#kqEfrRxBzYVvFUBk.99

bbm

new details:

The skeletal remains were those of a white female in her late teens to late 20s. No identification would be made until an autopsy is completed later in the week.

The woman was about 5-foot-3, authorities said in new details released Monday afternoon, with a slender build, "prominent teeth," and either light brown or blonde hair and believed to have worn a size 9 shoe.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/l..._found_in_Delco_park.html#kqEfrRxBzYVvFUBk.99

bbm

wait, though, 5'3"? that's not tall at all.

could be Erica McMullin? https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/17655/14/

new details:

bbm
5' 3" with a size 9 shoe?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

It could also be someone we don't even know about here...

That is entirely possible, I am 4'11" and wear a 7 1/2 or 8, lol.

Totally O/T

And I'm 5"10" with a size 8.5 foot. My daughter is about my height and has a size 10 foot. Everyone is different.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back