Identified! PA - Delaware Co, Ridley Creek State Park, WhtFem 25-45, UP14642, rings w/initials, Jan'16 - Name Withheld

I can't help to find the wording strange. The woman's identity is not discovered and at the same time genealogy testing led authorities to identify the woman. Could it be they found familial connections but not her exact identity?
I am puzzled about that wording as well. It seems quite deliberately phrased to indicate they're on track to identify her, but need some corroborating information from family or records that they haven't yet unearthed. The word "update" indicates (to me, anyway) they may be planning to ask for for assistance from the public in tracking down these details, or perhaps in locating her family members. It reminds me of the circumstances regarding the recently identified Joseph Augustus Zarelli (the Boy in the Box). Your theory fits, but I suppose we'll have to have to wait for the presser to find out what they mean by "identity has not been discovered, but ... led authorities to identify the woman." Regardless, I'm glad this woman won't have to wait 65+ years to be identified and have some of her story discovered, as poor Joseph did.

I can't help to find the wording strange. The woman's identity is not discovered and at the same time genealogy testing led authorities to identify the woman. Could it be they found familial connections but not her exact identity?

I caught that. It's actually why I chose it as the snippet to post. What I also find a little strange is that Patch (a credible source) is the only place that I've seen anything about this. I would have expected Delco Daily Times to have something but so far - nothing.

I caught that. It's actually why I chose it as the snippet to post. What I also find a little strange is that Patch (a credible source) is the only place that I've seen anything about this. I would have expected Delco Daily Times to have something but so far - nothing.
Got you ;) Sharp as always. Keep us posted please. It would be wonderful if this woman finally could be identified. I've always been very interested in her "story". With some people I just have that.

I think Patch probably just has a grammatical error in their post. They meant to say "had" instead of "has"...meaning, since 2016 the identity had not been discovered.

"The body of a woman was found Jan. 1, 2016 in Ridley Creek State Park by hikers.
The woman's identity has not been discovered, but Pennsylvania State Police are planning to provide an update on the woman's identity on May 17"

I think Patch probably just has a grammatical error in their post. They meant to say "had" instead of "has"...meaning, since 2016 the identity had not been discovered.

"The body of a woman was found Jan. 1, 2016 in Ridley Creek State Park by hikers.
The woman's identity has not been discovered, but Pennsylvania State Police are planning to provide an update on the woman's identity on May 17"
So have they identified her yet or are they testing family members DNA and hope to have an answer by the 17th. I hope she gets her name back and her family gets answers.

Go Pennsylvania!

MEDIA, Pa. (CBS) -- A woman who was found by a hiker in the woods of Ridley Creek State Park in January 2016 has been identified, Pennsylvania State Police said Wednesday. It's the first case state police's new forensic genealogy unit has ID'd.

Grateful this woman is identified. May she rest peacefully. Sincere condolences to her loved ones.

Doesn’t the identity have to be released? Bizarre that the police continue to ask the public for help in answers as to how she died, but no name??
"While she has been identified, the cause of her death remains unknown. State police are asking anyone with information about what happened to the woman to contact them at 717-783-5556.'

IMO they don't ask how she died, more like what was going on in her life, is there anybody who might have encountered her, if she was living in the park, homeless, etc. Maybe at least a first name would be useful.

In a news conference Wednesday, state police said they extracted DNA from the woman's bones and entered it into a database. The database led them to the woman's sister and other family members who still live in the Philadelphia area.

Investigators said the woman's family had lost track of her over the years but never reported her missing.

While she has been identified, the cause of her death remains unknown.

State police are asking anyone with information about what happened to the woman to contact them at 717-783-5556.

Doesn’t the identity have to be released? Bizarre that the police continue to ask the public for help in answers as to how she died, but no name??

See for my reaction #471 and JerseyGirl #472 with the reference-link to the quote.

AFAIK, UP # 17475 (Kensington, Philadelphia) - name has never been released to the public and that was quite clearly a murder.

In this case, where cause of death is unknown, I actually understand the family not wanting her name released. There are a lot of rude, judgemental people out there (look at all the crazies when Joseph Zarelli was ID'd). This woman's family doesn't need that kind of aggravation, nor should they.

Capt. James Cuttitta, director, Special Investigations Division Pennsylvania State Police – Bureau of Criminal Investigation said two personnel from the unit are now certificated in forensic genealogy, allowing state police to eliminate the unpredictable and rising cost of third-party genealogical research, which can require a significant amount of time for an investigation.

It would be helpful to know whether the rings belonged to the victim?

AFAIK, UP # 17475 (Kensington, Philadelphia) - name has never been released to the public and that was quite clearly a murder.

In this case, where cause of death is unknown, I actually understand the family not wanting her name released. There are a lot of rude, judgemental people out there (look at all the crazies when Joseph Zarelli was ID'd). This woman's family doesn't need that kind of aggravation, nor should they.
Absolutely agree. I understand why the family wouldn't want her name released, either. Being the first unidentified remains case solved by FGG, I'm convinced how the public treated Marcia King's family kind of ruined it and set the bar for the rest of us on future cases. Her mother kept the same phone number all those years, in hopes Marcia would call. So, of course, crazy and cruel members of the public took it upon themselves to call and harass the poor woman.
I, like many others, dedicated a lot of time and research to this case, so of course I'd love to know who this person is, but not at the expense of her family's well-being.

Absolutely agree. I understand why the family wouldn't want her name released, either. Being the first unidentified remains case solved by FGG, I'm convinced how the public treated Marcia King's family kind of ruined it and set the bar for the rest of us on future cases. Her mother kept the same phone number all those years, in hopes Marcia would call. So, of course, crazy and cruel members of the public took it upon themselves to call and harass the poor woman.
I, like many others, dedicated a lot of time and research to this case, so of course I'd love to know who this person is, but not at the expense of her family's well-being.
The Philadelphia case is witheld due to active investigations and probably sensitive information ive heard (I guess crime/drug related).
Not sure if there is a law that names have to be released if there is no investigation. I guess it is up to the family and LE.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhatHappenedToJAB
Back