Paris - Fire at Notre Dame Cathedral, Apr 2019

Ce que l'on sait de l'incendie qui a ravagé Notre-Dame de Paris

An investigation opened for "involuntary destruction by fire"; workmen are questioned.

An investigation has been opened for "unintentional destruction by fire," the Paris Public Prosecutor's Office announced. The possibility of an accidental fire starting from the construction site on the roof of the cathedral "attracts the attention of investigators in the investigation stage," a source close to the case said.

According to information from BFMTV, several people among the site workers were being heard by the investigators overnight.

Investigators began on the night from Monday to Tuesday to collect testimonies from people who worked on the Notre-Dame site, according to the Paris prosecutor's office.

BBM

I wonder what the plan was, both to prevent a fire and what to do in case of a fire.
No one seems to be surprised that this could happen, shocked yes, but surprise not so much. Lots of talk about old buidings, roofs and cobwebs, and examples of other fires like the one at Windsor Castle (1992).
It's all very well to explain why canadairs cannot be used, but does the responsibility stop there? The roof was still vulnerable. Water mist can be as effective as a lot of 'solid' water for instance. There are many historical buildings that might benefit from that. But apparently this has not happened.
I am very curious about the fire plan

Was France indeed willing to take risks with its most important cultural and historical heritage?

Well, making the decision to actually intervene that deeply in these monuments takes ages. It's really expensive. Also, it's a pain in the butt because places like Notre Dame are filled with people every single day. The logistics of doing renovations must be a nightmare.

Ce que l'on sait de l'incendie qui a ravagé Notre-Dame de Paris

An investigation opened for "involuntary destruction by fire"; workmen are questioned.

An investigation has been opened for "unintentional destruction by fire," the Paris Public Prosecutor's Office announced. The possibility of an accidental fire starting from the construction site on the roof of the cathedral "attracts the attention of investigators in the investigation stage," a source close to the case said.

According to information from BFMTV, several people among the site workers were being heard by the investigators overnight.

Investigators began on the night from Monday to Tuesday to collect testimonies from people who worked on the Notre-Dame site, according to the Paris prosecutor's office.

BBM

I wonder what the plan was, both to prevent a fire and what to do in case of a fire.
No one seems to be surprised that this could happen, shocked yes, but surprise not so much. Lots of talk about old buidings, roofs and cobwebs, and examples of other fires like the one at Windsor Castle (1992).
It's all very well to explain why canadairs cannot be used, but does the responsibility stop there? The roof was still vulnerable. Water mist can be as effective as a lot of 'solid' water for instance. There are many historical buildings that might benefit from that. But apparently this has not happened.
I am very curious about the fire plan

Was France indeed willing to take risks with its most important cultural and historical heritage?

If indeed an accident, I feel terrible for those involved. As awful as I know this may sound (and I hope this doesn't come across wrong), I'd almost hope for it to be arson vs accidental just because I cannot imagine the sheer amount of guilt for anyone involved in this tragedy, if they weren't at fault. Even though no lives were lost, the sheer devastation is just so monumental--I can't imagine carrying any responsibility for such an event. I hope that makes sense.

Merci aux @PompiersParis, aux policiers et aux agents municipaux qui ont réalisé ce soir une formidable chaîne humaine pour sauver les œuvres de #NotreDame. La couronne d'épines, la tunique de Saint Louis et plusieurs autres œuvres majeures sont à présent en lieu sûr.

D4OsfKmXsAAUo7A.jpg:large

Anne Hidalgo on Twitter

English: Thanks to the @PompiersParis, the police and the municipal agents who formed a formidable human chain tonight to save the [art] works of #OurLady. The crown of thorns, the tunic of Saint Louis and several other important pieces are now in a safe place.

First photos show damage inside Notre Dame Cathedral
[...]

Paris Fire Brigade Commander General Jean-Claude Gallet said the initial call to emergency services notified authorities of a fire in the attic of the cathedral.

About 400 firefighters were mobilized to deal with the blaze, the French Interior Ministry said. Firetrucks had difficulty accessing the scene, located on an island in Paris, amid the daily afternoon rush hour.

[...]

Here’s an overview of some of the revered Gothic cathedral’s most noteworthy features.
  • The Great Organ has been replaced and updated several times throughout history. The position of titular organist, or head organist, carries great prestige in France and around the world.
  • The Rose Windows are a trio of immense round windows over the cathedral’s three main portals.
  • Numerous sculptures, statues and paintings inside the cathedral depict Biblical scenes and saints.
One series of 76 paintings, each nearly four meters tall, commemorates the New Testament’s Acts of the Apostles, including the crucifixion of St. Peter and the conversion of St. Paul. The works were completed between 1630 and 1707 by the members or associates of the Royal Academy of Painting and Sculpture.

[...]

Wow, thanks Gardenista. Lots of photos here I hadn't seen.

12310806-6925737-A_priest_wipes_the_Crown_of_Thorns_a_relic_of_the_passion_of_Chr-a-6_1555378125794.jpg

A priest wipes the Crown of Thorns, a relic of the passion of Christ, at Notre Dame de Paris

12322892-6925737-Emergency_responders_worked_with_city_staff_to_manhandle_pricele-a-1_1555378125788.jpg

Emergency responders worked with city staff to manhandle priceless relics away from the fire

12322888-6925737-Reliquaries_statues_and_artefacts_including_the_crown_of_thorns_-a-2_1555378125789.jpg

Reliquaries, statues, and artefacts including the crown of thorns were saved from the fire by 'human chain'

12322890-6925737-Shortly_after_midnight_Paris_time_the_artefacts_had_been_safely_-a-3_1555378125793.jpg

Shortly after midnight, Paris time, the artefacts had been safely transferred to a storage room

12322994-6925737-Parisians_applauded_and_cheered_fire_crews_as_they_drove_through-a-5_1555378125794.jpg

Parisians applauded and cheered fire crews as they drove through the streets in the early hours of the morning

French billionaire François-Henri Pinault said Monday night he and his family will donate 100 million euros to help reconstruct the Notre Dame Cathedral, hours after a catastrophic fire tore through the historic structure, collapsing its spire and causing significant damage.

"My father [François Pinault] and I have decided to release as of now from the funds of Artemis a sum of 100 million euros to participate in the effort that will be necessary for the complete reconstruction of Notre Dame," Pinault wrote in a statement.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...e-rebuild-pinault-donation-french-billionaire

It is very nice of Mr. Pinault, his wife actress Salma Hayek and their family to make such a large donation.

Wow, thanks Gardenista. Lots of photos here I hadn't seen.

12310806-6925737-A_priest_wipes_the_Crown_of_Thorns_a_relic_of_the_passion_of_Chr-a-6_1555378125794.jpg

A priest wipes the Crown of Thorns, a relic of the passion of Christ, at Notre Dame de Paris
This photo of the white glove wiping down Jesus Christ's Crown of Thorns wasn't taken after the fire. This is an old photo.

This sacred item is brought out during mass on Holy Friday at 3 pm during Lent. The faithful are allowed to venerate it. A priest, wearing white gloves, wipes the spot where the faithful touch or kiss it. He wipes it after every touch or kiss.

According to architectural historians, the cathedral's medieval stone vaults — which served as a buffer for the fire after it burned through the wooden roof — had a hand in this.
Dr Robert Bork, an architectural historian at the University of Iowa, told the ABC the cathedral boasts some of the earliest six-part vaults used in the 12th century.
Innovation and exploration in the Middle Ages resulted in the creation of wider vaults that would better allow for elaborate windows than previous Romanesque churches, he explained.
"When the spire crashed through [the cathedral], that was a problem obviously and in some places the fire got through, but most of the vaults seem to have survived, which is a testament to how well they were put together in the 12th century."
The general principle of a vault, Dr Bork explained, is the same as that behind an arch, which sees lots of stones that are relatively small work to span a large space.
"So, in Notre Dame, [these stones] cross the span which is about 14 metres across on the inside, and they're all essentially wedged together so that when gravity pulls down on each of those little stones, [the structure] is held into place by the friction of its neighbours in a kind of wedging action."
How a medieval design trick helped save Notre Dame from perishing completely

Attachments

• 484140E1-D493-43C5-A11A-E209FD188A88.jpeg
    484140E1-D493-43C5-A11A-E209FD188A88.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 11
Amazing photo taken just before the fire has gone viral.

Twitter
I took this photo as we were leaving #NotreDame about an hour before it caught on fire. I almost went up to the dad and asked if he wanted it. Now I wish I had. Twitter if you have any magic, help him find this

Attachments

• 61009AD7-C229-400D-9E9E-A70B9AA58838.jpeg
    61009AD7-C229-400D-9E9E-A70B9AA58838.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 48

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members