Pastor's wife, 65, buys pistol from gun shop, shoots herself dead in parking lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
JUST ANOTHER REASON you should not be able to get any guns so fast.
it should take at least 30 days to clear you for one. :moo::moo:

She could have killed herself in many ways. Maybe she had been pondering suicide for 30 days prior to this, and we don't even know if it was suicide, but let's jump on the gun issue. Never let a tragedy go to waste right?

And the poison is not readily available.
Whereas she could buy a gun in 20 minutes.

She already owned a knife and tall buildings are free. If she was truly suicidal, she'd find a way.

Why don't people just take pills if they want to end it all, and do it in the privacity of their own homes. That way others don't have to be exposed to the horror and carnage!! Also two shots?

Maybe she did it there because she didn't want her family to be the ones finding her?

I am willing to bet that this woman was suffering emotionally for many years before she resorted to this. You have to hurt pretty bad to be willing to defy God in your very last act on Earth. She probably felt that all choices to relieve her pain were sinful, so she chose to die, praying that God would have mercy on her soul.

I am a christian woman, and I think that I understand how she might have felt so hopeless.

MOO

Respectfully snipped by me.

THANK YOU TGI for your compassionate insight.
Your thoughts help shed more light on the pressures of a seemingly perfect life, that was obviously lived with great pain.
I hurt for her.

Interesting that witnesses all say they heard two shots. I imagine it's difficult to shot yourself twice. Perhaps it misfired once? Rest in peace Mrs. Deison.

Yeah most of the time if the first shot doesn't do the trick there is no second shot, often times their face or half of their brain is gone but they survive.

Gunshots to the head are a risky business unless someone is sure they know what they are doing, many women supposedly prefer shots to the heart for that reason.

Years ago a cop told me a story about that, he got a call and went to the house to discover pools of blood. The owner had used a shotgun but didn't aim well, his face was gone and the guy was trying to find the weapon to finish it off but was blind. He survived. That story freaked me out.

Why don't people just take pills if they want to end it all, and do it in the privacity of their own homes. That way others don't have to be exposed to the horror and carnage!! Also two shots?

In some places, like where I live, it's easier to buy a gun than a box of Sudafed. But, see, that's because guns don't kill people. Or so I have been told.

She already owned a knife and tall buildings are free. If she was truly suicidal, she'd find a way.

She did find a way. The easy way. She bought a gun in 20 mins and shot herself.

At least in this case that ridiculous analogy about guns and spoons and obesity actually fits. Unless I am missing all the articles about murders who force fed their victims to death. :waitasec:

Yeah most of the time if the first shot doesn't do the trick there is no second shot, often times their face or half of their brain is gone but they survive.

Gunshots to the head are a risky business unless someone is sure they know what they are doing, many women supposedly prefer shots to the heart for that reason.

Years ago a cop told me a story about that, he got a call and went to the house to discover pools of blood. The owner had used a shotgun but didn't aim well, his face was gone and the guy was trying to find the weapon to finish it off but was blind. He survived. That story freaked me out.

Egads. That would haunt me, too. It's so macabre.

She did find a way. The easy way. She bought a gun in 20 mins and shot herself.

At least in this case that ridiculous analogy about guns and spoons and obesity actually fits. Unless I am missing all the articles about murders who force fed their victims to death. :waitasec:

So had it not been for the gun, she wouldn't have killed herself? The guns to blame for this aledged suicide?

I wonder if there were any indications that she had been getting her affairs in order before she died? Did she call anyone to say "No matter what, always remember that I love you" ?

If she was in physical pain, maybe that would explain the two shots. If her hands and fingers were weak, she might not have had a good grip on the gun. Maybe the first shot missed or barely grazed her.

Killing herself in her own home would have left her family having to deal with a mess and the memory of her gruesome death in the home. Doing it in public, clearly alone in the vehicle, would contain the mess and avoid any question about others being involved. It is easy to get rid of the car. No question of anyone forcing her to pull the trigger.

She looks happy in all of the pictures I've seen, but smiling in public and for the camera are requirements of the wife of a mega-successful man. Happy people don't kill themselves.

People in physical pain have medical options which would have been very available to her and not considered to be off-limits because of her faith. I just don't see this kind of woman killing herself because of physical illness or pain. She had options for that.

If her pain was emotional or mental, she may have felt she had nowhere to turn. Divorce is off-limits without adultery. There is a tendency in Christian churches to blame emotional, marital, or mental problems on a lack of faith or spiritual fitness. ( Unless the person is a man, then the problems are the fault of his wife, of course.)

This is a very emotional subject for me. I don't mean to imply that all christian churches or christian men are corrupt. I just wish that it was not so prevalent. It makes me sad and angry when people twist God's Word to gain power and hurt women and children.

Maybe that did not happen in this case. I hope not.

I am sorry that her family is hurting.

MOO

When I posted about why she didn't shoot herself in her own home, I was, and still am, under the impression she lived alone with her husband. And, while it would be awful for him to find her, however, at least it would be private.

My point is she did this, while in her car, she did this in a public place, where anyone (even children) may have heard/seen this.

At her age she could have gotten pain killers from her dr., hoarded them, and taken them in her bedroom. I know from an aunt, who is elderly and in constant pain, that her doctor gives her prescriptions for 90 (a three month supply)

When I posted about why she didn't shoot herself in her own home, I was, and still am, under the impression she lived alone with her husband. And, while it would be awful for him to find her, however, at least it would be private.

My point is she did this, while in her car, she did this in a public place, where anyone (even children) may have heard/seen this.

At her age she could have gotten pain killers from her dr., hoarded them, and taken them in her bedroom. I know from an aunt, who is elderly and in constant pain, that her doctor gives her prescriptions for 90 (a three month supply)

So - she wanted to make it public. Without a written statement of some kind, her intended message, if there was one, will remain a secret.

Re: feeling the pressures of living up to a Christian ideal.....

I remember my ex SIL, who was a devout Christian, saying jokingly she wanted to meet "Proverbs 31 woman" and smack her.

My SIL burned her candle at both ends all day, every day trying to be the perfect Christian wife, mother, Home and Sunday school teacher, etc. Sadly my ex told me that his sis had a breakdown year before last, but she is okay now.

For those of you who don't know the Proverbs 31 reference;

10 4 uAn excellent wife who can find?
She is far more precious than vjewels.
11 The heart of her husband trusts in her,
and he will have no lack of gain.
12 She does him good, and not harm,
all the days of her life.
13 She wseeks wool and flax,
and works with willing hands.
14 She is like the ships of the merchant;
she brings her food from afar.
15 She xrises while it is yet night
and yprovides food for her household
and portions for her maidens.
16 She considers a field and buys it;
with the fruit of her hands she plants a vineyard.
17 She zdresses herself5 with strength
and makes her arms strong.
18 She perceives that her merchandise is profitable.
Her lamp does not go out at night.
19 She puts her hands to the distaff,
and her hands hold the spindle.
20 She aopens her hand to bthe poor
and reaches out her hands to bthe needy.
21 She is not afraid of snow for her household,
for all her household are clothed in cscarlet.6
22 She makes dbed coverings for herself;
her clothing is efine linen and fpurple.
23 Her husband is known in gthe gates
when he sits among the elders of the land.
24 She makes hlinen garments and sells them;
she delivers sashes to the merchant.
25 iStrength and dignity are her clothing,
and she laughs at the time to come.
26 She opens her mouth with wisdom,
and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.
27 She looks well to the ways of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children rise up and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
29 “Many jwomen have done kexcellently,
but you surpass them all.”
30 lCharm is deceitful, and beauty is vain,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
31 Give her of the fruit of her hands,
and let her works praise her in the gates.

That is a lot to live up to! Wow!

Again, many people who take pills end up vomiting or being discovered and survive. In fact, I believe the instructions for this method tell you to put a plastic bag over your head to make sure you suffocate while you are unconscious. Some people panic at the very idea of putting a bag over their heads.

I would assume every suicide has some personal reasons for the method chosen. And it may not be fair, but I'd rather a stranger found me than my husband. I think a stranger would recover more quickly.

maybe her reasons were public and not private? i would think that she was making sure that this didnt get swept under the rug. moo

In some places, like where I live, it's easier to buy a gun than a box of Sudafed. But, see, that's because guns don't kill people. Or so I have been told.

Last time I checked rope wasn't hard to get and it is just as effective for suicide.

Maybe we should ban rope? Think of the lives we could save!!!

I would assume every suicide has some personal reasons for the method chosen. And it may not be fair, but I'd rather a stranger found me than my husband. I think a stranger would recover more quickly.

Yeah having a loved one come home to find that would be very traumatic for them, they might even have to move as a result plus there is always a slight chance suspicion could fall on them. Since she shot herself in the car chances are whomever noticed called the police pretty quick and didn't have to see more than they wanted to.

Years ago a family friend's husband was dying of bone cancer, he OD on his painkillers at home in a suicide attempt, she realized and called 911 and the police started accusing HER of trying to kill him, if he had died theoretically she could have been facing murder charges.

Last time I checked rope wasn't hard to get and it is just as effective for suicide.

Maybe we should ban rope? Think of the lives we could save!!!

But how many folks commit murders with a rope vs. with a gun? How about mass murders?

And how many suicides by rope vs. gun?

Are those numbers even close?

And we are discussing this on a thread where the lady DID, in fact, SHOOT herself. She did not hang herself. :waitasec:

One other note: I have never called for the ban of guns so I do not know where you are getting that but please do not put words in my mouth.

My statement was that it's harder to buy a box of Sudafed than a gun. I think it is ridiculous how easy it is to legally purchase guns without having to go through the background checks and waiting period.

Anyway sorry for the OT, I just wanted to clarify. I understand that this thread is about a poor woman who shot herself to death. :(.

Again, many people who take pills end up vomiting or being discovered and survive. In fact, I believe the instructions for this method tell you to put a plastic bag over your head to make sure you suffocate while you are unconscious. Some people panic at the very idea of putting a bag over their heads.

I have read before (not sure if it is really true) that women typically do NOT shoot themselves to commit suicide. Women typically choose methods that are less, em, mutilating. (Sorry)

If that IS true, then it is unusual for her to kill herself that way, but maybe she also knew that pills, CO, etc were not reliable methods and she meant business.

It's just sad, poor lady. :(

Maybe she wanted her death to be known as a suicide and not hushed up as some sort of in-home death or accident. Some families would tend to try to hide a suicide, perhaps a parson's family especially, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeanBean