Penalty Phase - Verdict Watch #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, it is rather like two bites at the apple for the death penalty and given the seriousness of the punishment that just doesn't feel right. You know, one doesnt agree on death so we will find one that does. It just sticks in my craw and should anyone's no matter if they favor dp or not. The judge should make the decision after a hung jury
I think you eliminated half the equation. It's not that the jury doesn't agree on the death penalty, it's that the jury doesn't agree on a penalty, one of which is the death penalty.

The goal when the death penalty is involved, is to find a jury that agrees on a penalty of life or death -- not one that agrees on death.

If you see each phase as distinct trial then it is completely consistent with how our system works. When a jury hangs, the person is retried (if the prosecutor chooses) until a unanimous verdict is reached. And so it is in this phase, the prosecutor can have a new penalty "trial" or can take death off the table and let the judge decide between life and LWOP.

I really like the idea that only a jury can decide to put a person to death. I don't think that decision should be in the hands of judge -- especially one who is elected.

Wild About Trial @WildAboutTrial

Captain O'Neil just arrived in a black shirt and converse shoes, no flip flops? #JodiArias

maybe dressed up to talk w/ media after the verdict? :floorlaugh::please:

From WAT :

1m Wild About Trial @WildAboutTrial

Actually they are heading into the courtroom not the side room. #JodiArias. I think I will go into the courtroom as well.

2m Wild About Trial @WildAboutTrial

Travis' family just arrived and are headed into the side room. #JodiArias

:praying: Praying these wonderful jurors will show as much mercy to CMja as she showed to Travis on June 4, 2008. :praying:

P.S. I understand if some jurors have sympathy for CMja's family, but this is not enough to mitigate the extreme cruelty of the crime. And delivering justice for Travis and his family is far more important than sparing the feelings of CMja's family! :moo:

Excellent sleuthing. But what happens when the DT fails to list her disorder on the 8 factors they submitted?

The DT doesn't need to. The jury is allowed to consider any evidence they have heard in the trial as mitigating, whether the DT listed it or not, discussed it or not.

No. I hope I am wrong.

I think they will remain deadlocked and I am sick with worry over it.

I don't know much about Arizona law but it doesn't seem right to have to choose a new jury for just the penalty phase. If the jury is deadlocked it should go to the judge IMO. It just doesn't seem right to me.

If they choose a new jury, how will that jury know all of the testimony and evidence?

I respect your opinion and too believe it should be an easy DP conviction, but I'm not in that jury room.

I just don't see any way in any situation that THIS jury can be compared to the Pinellas 12 in Floriduh.

JMO

MOOOO

ITA! If Jodi had been acquitted id understand ppl comparing but this jury has convicted her and found extreme cruelty. Comparing the two juries is comparing apples to oranges. I think this jury has/will work very hard to come to a verdict. I still believe there was misunderstanding about the jury being deadlocked. After only deliberating just a few hrs I don't see it. I still have faith that they will come back with DP but no matter what I don't see Jodi ever being free again. Jmo

PMLsMom, I already posted the signs on page 5 here, at #36.

Snipped respectfully by me for relevance.

2. Sure, JA might have a free speech right to conduct those interviews. But why was she given the option of wearing a sweater to cover the cute little stiped outfit? There is nothing in the consitution that says someone has a right to cover up prison stripes. Conduct the inverview if you will, but you are an inmate. Just doesn't seem right to me.

Ahhh.. let's all take a brief moment and review Jodi's attractive jail interview couture! The sandals, pink socks, and leg irons are a particularly nice set of accessories, don't you think?! The metal adds some bright accents to an otherwise drab and uncoordinated look. What color lip gloss and eye shadow should one wear with horizontal gray stripes, pink socks, brown plastic sandals, and leg irons? Hmmmm........

jodistripes_zpsaf490378.jpg

Wow. HLN said the jury is deliberating early. The clock has started. Does this mean something. Time will tell and I hope we know soon.

Early, black shirt, long weekend beginning tomorrow. Signs are looking good for today.

Hi everyone!

I too think today will be the day!! I'm praying for the Alexanders hoping that today will be the day they finally feel justice has been done for Travis.

From WAT :

3m Wild About Trial @WildAboutTrial

They just came back out of the courtroom. hWIld will stay outside in hallway still. #JodiArias

14s Wild About Trial @WildAboutTrial

Willmott just left court with her other clients. She has on a gray suit. #JodiArias

Marlboro Man has made it to the court!
"Wild About Trial @WildAboutTrial
Marlboro man just arrived after his long hwalk. #JodiArias"

And the jury started deliberating EARLY! I hope that's a good sign!!

this whole time I thought they would give her LWOP, but today I just have this feeling they are going after the DP. It might have taken them time to adjust to the idea that they were going to do it.

Exactly what I was thinking PMLsmom. Tuba would love to hear from ya, from what I understood from your post this would be consistent with your analysis, right?

With the threads going so fast, I haven't seen Tuba's analysis...Can you give me a synopsis??? TIA

Okay, that makes more sense than in relating to Stewie from The Family Guy. It's hard for me to read with those "h's" there, but his tweets are funny and informative. Thanks for the info.
He made reference to it and the Salmon references on Twitter a few weeks back. Maybe he was just kidding?:peace:

I'll stand corrected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member