Plane crashes into stands-Reno

The plane was flying in the air, came around and then was sideways as it came in. Looked like it was having trouble. If you find the video it was just after 39:00.

It's events like this that make me wonder how I'd react, being a nurse, to the carnage. I know that I'd do my best to get in and provide care for folks...but I don't know how I'd deal with it, to be honest.

Current report is that there are 75 injured; 25 at least are critical. Unknown number of fatalities confirmed (although I am sure there will be many).

God bless all those who've survived, and God rest all those that have perished...not much more to say at this time.

Best-
Herding Cats

The live feed earlier said this was an experienced pilot and appeared that he may have realized he was going to go into the main stands, and the veering was him veering deliberately so he wouldn't go into those stands, but off to the side instead.

I have no idea how reliable that info is. I know nothing about flying a plane.

How awful. Prayers to all affected by this tragedy.

OMG, I just found out that two of my friends are there but safe! They had just left their seats to walk to another area and the plane crashed where they were sitting.

Prayers for those who lost their life and who are injured.

And speaking of miracles.............

:hug:

5:59 p.m. update: A plane plunged into the stands Friday at an air race event in Reno in what an official described as a “mass casualty situation.”

It wasn’t immediately known how many people were killed, but a medical official said more than 75 people were injured.

Stephanie Kruse, a spokeswoman for the Regional Emergency Medical Service Authority, said 25 people were critically injured and another 25 people were seriously injured in the crash.

more at http://www.rgj.com/article/20110916/EVENTS05/110916036/P51-Mustang-crashes-Reno-Air-Races-multiple-injuries-involved?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

And speaking of miracles.............

:hug:

I know, thank you. I was waiting anxiously to get word before I posted. I'm so glad they are both ok and checked in quickly. They definately had angels watching over them.

I know, thank you. I was waiting anxiously to get word before I posted. I'm so glad they are both ok and checked in quickly. They definately had angels watching over them.

Most definitely! To think they had just been sitting in that area!

:angel:

The live feed earlier said this was an experienced pilot and appeared that he may have realized he was going to go into the main stands, and the veering was him veering deliberately so he wouldn't go into those stands, but off to the side instead.

I have no idea how reliable that info is. I know nothing about flying a plane.

Beanie, can you link the live feed for me? I would like to follow it.

eta they say the pilot was 80!

6:18 p.m. update: Renown says two people have died in the Reno Air Races crash, and nine of the 22 patients being treated are in critical condition. It is unclear if the two dead include pilot Jimmy Leeward, for whom a memorial is planned tomorrow.

more at http://www.rgj.com/article/20110916/EVENTS05/110916036/P51-Mustang-crashes-Reno-Air-Races-multiple-injuries-involved?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

May they Rest in Peace :rose:

So sad...

Wow that is a quickly planned memorial for him.

Another video of the crash. This one from a different angle, and not as graphic as the other one going around. There is some vulgar language from the guy filming, exclamations of shock.

The angle of the filming shows the plane going straight up and then straight down.

Plane crashing at Reno air race sept. 16 2011 - YouTube

Looks to me like the plane goes up, rolls over, and is upside down on the way down.

The Reno Air Races are an amazing annual event...horrible that this has happened.

Best-
Herding Cats

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz