Plane crashes into stands-Reno

Caravan of vehicles from the ME office has arrived.

This will give an answer to whether a medical emergency occurred with the pilot, or mechanical failure.

"Members from the coroner’s or medical examiner’s office are usually asked to collect tissue samples from the deceased so they can tell if a natural medical event occurred before the crash. For example, he said testing samples of someone’s tissues can indicate drug or alcohol use, or a heart attack or stroke."

http://www.rgj.com/article/20110916/EVENTS05/110916036/P51-Mustang-crashes-Reno-Air-Races-multiple-injuries-involved?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

It hit the box seat area from one witness I was watching before the feed died.

6:58 p.m. update: A vintage World War II-era fighter plane plunged into the grandstands Friday during a popular annual air show, killing at least three people and injuring roughly 75 and creating a horrific scene strewn with body parts and smoking debris.

The plane spiraled suddenly out of control and appeared to disintegrate upon impact. Bloodied bodies were spread across the area as people tended to the victims and ambulances rushed to the scene.

more including a witness account at http://www.rgj.com/article/20110916/EVENTS05/110916036/P51-Mustang-crashes-Reno-Air-Races-multiple-injuries-involved?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Anderson Cooper on CNN having a discussion of what could have happened to cause the aircraft to nosedive to the ground. Showing video of the plane crashing. Analyst is speculating a medical situation with the pilot may have caused the crash.

Presser delayed...waiting for the guv to get there.

I can't get the guy missing his leg out of my head (the graphic video link that is posted on the previous page) no way he could have made it, he'd have lost so much blood :( :(

My prayers are with everyone :(

I can't get the guy missing his leg out of my head (the graphic video link that is posted on the previous page) no way he could have made it, he'd have lost so much blood :( :(

My prayers are with everyone :(

The video CNN is showing is bad enough just to imagine what could have happened to those people close to the crash site. Debris is falling and scattering everywhere since the force of the impact is so great. Two eyewitness survivors from Lake Tahoe are talking to Anderson Cooper now about what they saw. They are saying the plane seemed to pull away from the grandstands.

:cry:

How awful! My kids and I spent some time in Reno just a few weeks ago. Praying for the victims and family and anyone that witnessed this. :(

CNN will also bring the press conference 'live' when it starts.

Mayor of Reno on the phone now with AC. No report of number of casualties or injuries at this time. Hasn't been given any information either what went wrong. 700-800 emergency responders arrived within minutes. Commending the way EMS handled the situation.

Another eyewitness now speaking. This man was right underneath the plane. He believes the pilot pulled up within last seconds to miss the bleachers and did his best to try to hit the tarmac and avoid the crowd. Witness was about 100 ft. from crash site. Witness believes engine was still on; plane didn't stall. Plane hit tarmac at high rate of speed; cloud on videos is dust, not fire. Horrible accident; saw a lot of injured and a lot of others helping the injured. Witness says it is by the "grace of God" he's talking to AC right now.

News conference starting now with event official speaking. NTSB taking over investigation. 54 have injuries and have been transported to hospitals. Do not have final count on number of deceased. Pilot Leeward was 74 years old, not 80 as previously reported; medical records current; qualified pilot. Discussing memorial service(s) pending for pilot. Plane was flying on course; speculation as to what took place, appears to be some problem with aircraft causing it to go out of control. NTSB will analyze everything. The event this weekend is cancelled, as for years to come, "one day at a time". The airport is closed to all traffic; may update for outbound traffic tomorrow. Continuing answering questions from reporters. Official was a close personal friend of Jimmy Leeward.

Prayers for everyone injured or who lost loved ones :praying:

, our WS resident pilot, your thoughts please.
Were you there?

I was thinking about wondering if he went to the airshow and I thought he said he flew planes, he's in Nevada. But I think he said he was like half way between Las Vegas and Reno.

My first thought was as well. I've been waiting to hear from him.

I just texted him and left a vm.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back