President Obama commutes sentence of Chelsea Manning

Setting traitor Manning free is a betrayal by Obama
http://nypost.com/2017/01/17/manning-move-is-obamas-latest-betrayal-of-us-ideals/

Pence: Chelsea Manning is a 'traitor'

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/pence-chelsea-manning-is-a-traitor/article/2612220

Sen. Tom Cotton Slams Obama on 'Traitor' Chelsea Manning

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/tom-cotton-slams-obama-traitor/2017/01/17/id/769069/

Pentagon head opposed Manning commutation

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/314731-pentagon-head-opposed-manning-commutation-reports

Ryan: Obama’s Manning commutation ‘outrageous’

http://us.pressfrom.com/news/us/-19430-ryan-obama-s-manning-commutation-outrageous/

Pentagon recommended against Manning commutation, official says

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...gainst-manning-commutation-official-says.html

The president has faced mounting bipartisan criticism over the commutation, announced as part of a late wave of clemency decisions a day earlier.

Fox News has learned that outgoing Defense Secretary Ash Carter and other top Army leaders recommended against the commutation.

Republicans blasted the decision with House Speaker Paul Ryan calling it "outrageous" and saying Obama had set a "dangerous precedent" that anyone guilty of compromising U.S. national security will no longer have to pay for their crimes.

In an interview with Fox News set to air Wednesday on “Special Report with Bret Baier,” Vice President-elect Mike Pence said the commutation was a “mistake.”

“Private Manning is a traitor and should not have been turned into a martyr,” he said. “… Private Manning's actions compromised our national security, endangered American personnel downrange, compromised … individuals in Afghanistan who were cooperating with our forces by leaking 750,000 documents to WikiLeaks.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/18/obama-defends-manning-commutation-decision.html

It's my personal opinion that one of the strongest "reasons" Obama granted clemency to Manning is not "oversentencing", but Manning's transgender claims.

If Chelsea Manning was Bradley Manning, with no transgender issues, I sincerely doubt Obama would have entertained clemency. JMO. Obama was making a social/ political commentary about transgenderism-- this has absolutely nothing to do with Bradley Manning's crimes.

Obama believes he is "rescuing a fragile damsel in distress" from the big, bad prison experience, IMO. Obama believes that Manning's gender dysphoria is "worse" than the overt treason Manning engaged in. IMO.

If Bradley Manning was heterosexual, muscular 6'2" and 240 lbs, Obama would never have looked at the case, IMO.

But sources described to Fox News the vast extent of the potential damage done by Manning’s document leak.

"Ambassadors were forced to resign, [CIA] station chiefs had to be recalled, secret diplomatic cables were revealed," said one official, recalling some of the fallout.

Fox News also has learned Manning leaked 700,000 documents, not the 250,000 cited by officials on Tuesday. Defense officials told Fox News that Manning's actions accelerated the Arab Spring and might even have contributed to the rise of ISIS.

Two intelligence sources also confirmed that after certain Afghanistan reports were released in 2010, the Taliban “went on a killing spree,” taking out everyone who seemed to fit the description of individuals working with the U.S.

If the report said “someone with short dark hair was helping the U.S., the Taliban took out everyone with short dark hair. It was indiscriminate,” one source said.

Both emphasized it’s unclear whether U.S. intelligence assets were harmed -- but said there is no question people died after the leaks at the hands of the Taliban, and this made recruiting sources that much harder in the future.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...gainst-manning-commutation-official-says.html

It's my personal opinion that one of the strongest "reasons" Obama granted clemency to Manning is not "oversentencing", but Manning's transgender claims.

If Chelsea Manning was Bradley Manning, with no transgender issues, I sincerely doubt Obama would have entertained clemency. JMO. Obama was making a social/ political commentary about transgenderism-- this has absolutely nothing to do with Bradley Manning's crimes.

Obama believes he is "rescuing a fragile damsel in distress" from the big, bad prison experience, IMO. Obama believes that Manning's gender dysphoria is "worse" than the overt treason Manning engaged in. IMO.

If Bradley Manning was heterosexual, muscular 6'2" and 240 lbs, Obama would never have looked at the case, IMO.

This opinion is so hard to believe or swallow as even remotely accurate - if the idea is to sell to all that the current president has no sense, then by extension, you're also selling that y'all have bigger problems in the short term.

Did Manning sell docs to a foreign or hostile country? Or did she reveal secrets to the American public? Regardless of the outcome or consequences, who did she release the docs to? And for how much money in return? It makes a big difference imo - was a 35 year sentence an emotional response?

How is/was the American public in a position to know how to respond to events without the true documents?

Manning is a despicable, narcissistic, arrogant traitor.

Clemency is a slap in the face to every single person who has ever served in uniform.

A disrespectful parting shot by an outgoing tin pot demagogue who despises the military.

It's astonishing to me that anyone could "support" Manning.

If Manning had a conscience,or any scrap of integrity, there were literally hundreds of legitimate ways to be an effective "whistleblower" within the hierarchy of the military. What Manning did was treason, pure and simple.

The charges were just. The trial was just. The sentence was just. Clemency for Manning is the epitome of injustice.

I agree. I think Obama has made some bad decisions for personal reasons and this is just another one of those bad decisions.

This opinion is so hard to believe or swallow as even remotely accurate - if the idea is to sell to all that the current president has no sense, then by extension, you're also selling that y'all have bigger problems in the short term.

Did Manning sell docs to a foreign or hostile country? Or did she reveal secrets to the American public? Regardless of the outcome or consequences, who did she release the docs to? And for how much money in return? It makes a big difference imo - was a 35 year sentence an emotional response?

How is/was the American public in a position to know how to respond to events without the true documents?

He didn't have to sell documents to a hostile country. He stole hundreds of thousands of classified files and dumped them out there for the entire world to see. He put this country and the military at great risk. It makes no difference IMO whether or not money exchanged hands. He's no whistleblower or martyr.

If he were a whistleblower he would have exposed only pertinent files, he didn't do that by his own admission.

Me too Tulessa...What has happened to this world? She is a traitor...My husband served 32 years in the Navy and I cannot understand why this act of treason is excusable! So true what the Good Book says...that there will come a time when wrong is thought of as being right and right is considered wrong...We are there! I could say a lot more about the past 8 years and what it has done to our country, but I guess I'll just be quiet and move on....

ETA: Guess I didn't sit on my hands...Mods delete if necessary...Just wanted another viewpoint expressed.

Thank your husband for me for serving. Treason is inexcusable. I don't understand this, either. Thank you for your post.

IMOO.

It's typical and shameful that a whistleblower, having exposed many, many illegal and amoral practices, winds up being the only one who suffered any consequences, and harsh consequences at that. Meanwhile, traitors like Dick Cheney and his minions continue to walk amongst us. Different rules for different fools, as usual.

Thank your husband for me for serving. Treason is inexcusable. I don't understand this, either. Thank you for your post.

IMOO.

Obama's reasoning was that she already served quite a long sentence-7 years of confinement.

(quote)
Manning had been charged with “wrongful and wanton publication to the internet intelligence belonging to the United States.”

On August, 21 2013 a court martial slapped Manning with the historically long sentence, the longest prison sentence ever ascribed to someone for leaking documents or footage.

The US Army court martial had also charged Manning with five counts of stealing US government records, six counts of “willful communication of information relating to the national defense,” one charge of intentionally relaying information in “unlawful possession,” one count of exceeding authorized access to a US government computer, one charge of “willful communication of information relating to the national defense obtained by accessing a US government computer,” and five cases of failure to the US Army’s orders.

MORE DETAILS TO FOLLOW
http://www.veteranstoday.com/2017/01/17/obama-commutes-whistleblower-chelsea-mannings-sentence/

(quote)
Manning had been charged with “wrongful and wanton publication to the internet intelligence belonging to the United States.”

On August, 21 2013 a court martial slapped Manning with the historically long sentence, the longest prison sentence ever ascribed to someone for leaking documents or footage.

The US Army court martial had also charged Manning with five counts of stealing US government records, six counts of “willful communication of information relating to the national defense,” one charge of intentionally relaying information in “unlawful possession,” one count of exceeding authorized access to a US government computer, one charge of “willful communication of information relating to the national defense obtained by accessing a US government computer,” and five cases of failure to the US Army’s orders.

MORE DETAILS TO FOLLOW
http://www.veteranstoday.com/2017/01/17/obama-commutes-whistleblower-chelsea-mannings-sentence/

I love your siggy! :blowkiss: *FREE LEONARD PELTIER*
Justice for an innocent man.

One of the many well reasoned pieces written about this whole debacle. No harm came to anyone from this leaked "classified" info. The same can't be said of what Cheney did. If you know anything about what Cheney did to Valerie Plame, and consequently, the security and safety of our CIA operatives, you know that he should be behind bars. Aside from the fact that her blown cover jeopardized assets internationally, it really ultimately harms recruitment and the ability for security to function abroad and domestically. I'd like to think some reforms will come about as a result of Manning's exposure of our nation's dirty dealings, but I won't hold my breath.

"In practice, the legitimacy of state-secrets laws has been undermined by their frequent abuse.

Over-classification is epidemic.

Even the highest-ranking national security officials routinely leak classified information with impunity in order to advance their political and bureaucratic agendas."

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...se-of-the-chelsea-manning-commutation/513455/

President Obama tread a fine line here, acknowledging the gravity of the malfeasance Manning exposed, yet, assuring that it is understood that she broke the law, and paid a very harsh price. Not to mention that keeping her in a men's prison was an abominable abuse of her civil rights. President Obama did the right thing.

I love your siggy! :blowkiss: *FREE LEONARD PELTIER*
Justice for an innocent man.

Thankyou Tulessa. I feel very sad for Leonard and his family. He is old now and suffering ill health and i pray for him as do many others, <3

One of the many well reasoned pieces written about this whole debacle. No harm came to anyone from this leaked "classified" info. The same can't be said of what Cheney did. If you know anything about what Cheney did to Valerie Plame, and consequently, the security and safety of our CIA operatives, you know that he should be behind bars. Aside from the fact that her blown cover jeopardized assets internationally, it really ultimately harms recruitment and the ability for security to function abroad and domestically. I'd like to think some reforms will come about as a result of Manning's exposure of our nation's dirty dealings, but I won't hold my breath.

"In practice, the legitimacy of state-secrets laws has been undermined by their frequent abuse.

Over-classification is epidemic.

Even the highest-ranking national security officials routinely leak classified information with impunity in order to advance their political and bureaucratic agendas."

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...se-of-the-chelsea-manning-commutation/513455/

President Obama tread a fine line here, acknowledging the gravity of the malfeasance Manning exposed, yet, assuring that it is understood that she broke the law, and paid a very harsh price. Not to mention that keeping her in a men's prison was an abominable abuse of her civil rights. President Obama did the right thing.

I come from a military background.
What price is treason? Your post mentioned that President Obama assuring that it is understood that Manning broke the law and paid a harsh price. How is the price harsh if Manning does not complete the full sentence?
Also, an abominable abuse of her civil rights? Well... if Treason was not committed then Manning wouldn't be in ANY prison. Manning caused Manning's issues of being in prison.
I respect your opinion. In that same principle, I respectfully disagree. No, Obama did not do the right thing, in my opinion. What kind of precedence does this example show for future traitors?

IMOO.

Chelsea Manning to lose transgender benefits with dishonorable discharge

WASHINGTON — Army Pvt. Chelsea Manning, the national-security leaker and transgender soldier, will lose her entitlement to military health care benefits under the terms of the sentence that President Obama commuted, according to the Army.

“If Pvt. Manning is discharged with a dishonorable discharge, she will lose her entitlement to (military) benefits, including gender-transition care at (military) medical treatment facilities,” Smith said.

Manning can appeal the discharge determination, Smith said. If that appeal is denied, Manning will then be dishonorably discharged from the Army.

A dishonorable discharge would also bar Manning, formerly known as Bradley, from receiving benefits from the Veterans Affairs Department. The VA for several years has been providing treatment to veterans for gender dysphoria for several years.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...der-benefits-dishonorable-discharge/96742180/

Manning was not pardoned, so the dishonorable discharge will stick.

I'm sure Manning will get whatever medical or surgical treatment Manning wants for gender dysphoria, and it will be at taxpayer expense one way or the other. But at least it won't be thru the VA system.

Maybe some wealthy donors will pay for it? I'd much rather see that than medicaid or other tax dollars used to pay for a traitor's sex-reassignment. Maybe Obama will take Manning in to live with his family? I'd be fine with that.

Manning will probably be on the lecture and talk show circuit within a year, writing a whiny "woe is me, I'm so picked on" book, and acting like some kind of martyr.

Then again, Manning may have to go into hiding. SMH.

What price is treason? Your post mentioned that President Obama assuring that it is understood that Manning broke the law and paid a harsh price. How is the price harsh if Manning does not complete the full sentence?
Also, an abominable abuse of her civil rights? Well... if Treason was not committed then Manning wouldn't be in ANY prison. Manning caused Manning's issues of being in prison.
I respect your opinion. In that same principle, I respectfully disagree. No, Obama did not do the right thing, in my opinion. What kind of precedence does this example show for future traitors?

IMOO.

Chelsea Manning broke the law and there is no disputing that. However, the law can and should take in to account mitigating factors. Once critical analysis, nuance, motive and repercussions were examined, it is clear that her motive was not to harm her country, rather, to expose illegal and amoral conduct on the part of our government and it's military. Her leak of this material has never been shown to have had any deleterious effects and when the totality of the evidence is examined, I'd say 7 years was pretty appropriate, and even harsh considering there have been many other instances of senior military and government officials known to have used classified information to their personal advantage with the only consequence having been perhaps a damning article in the NYT, which is quickly forgotten. Yes, Chelsea Manning would not have found herself in prison had she not leaked "classified" information. But, there was no reason for her to have been in a men's prison. She should have been in a women's prison. As for what are future traitors to think? I don't know. I guess if one were to look at Dick Cheney's case, they'd not have much to fear. But in a case where a soldier has sacrificed personal freedom to shine a light on war crimes and egregious conduct and abuse of military and governmental power, only to see that she herself was the only one who faced any consequences and none of the institutions or individuals she exposed lost so much as one night's sleep? I'd say it's a pretty obvious, sobering example. We should all feel very fortunate that we had someone at the helm who is capable of critical, rational and intelligent analysis of this situation. Very little in this world is black and white, and that's a good thing.

IMOO.
So... violating prisoner's civil rights is okay? Or does it depend on the prisoner?

So... violating prisoner's civil rights is okay? Or does it depend on the prisoner?

Hmmmmm, kind of sounds like one of the violations that Chelsea Manning herself was trying to expose. I'm seeing a pattern here....:thinking:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back