Rape allegations mount against Bill Cosby #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
By my count, we're approaching 30 women. How, exactly, do you define "several"?

I think you're missing the point. What if 29 are truthful? Do we really believe there will only be one person who files a lawsuit? We can wait and see on that one.

Scandal threatening Bill Cosby's stand-up tour

Published December 13, 2014 Associated Press

...But the renewal of sexual assault claims that have soured TV and other comeback deals for Cosby are undermining the live performances that represent his direct avenue to fans and a semblance of business as usual.

The 77-year-old comedian's ambitious tour schedule that has him crisscrossing the U.S. and into Canada this winter and spring has been whittled by cancellations and indefinite postponements of about 10 concerts in as many states.

"The venues are getting cold feet. Everyone is worried about protesters," said Gary Bongiovanni, editor of Pollstar, a concert industry trade publication. "If I was advising him, I would tell him to cancel everything and lie low for a while."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/12/13/scandal-threatening-bill-cosby-stand-up-tour/

I think you're missing the point. What if 29 are truthful? Do we really believe there will only be one person who files a lawsuit? We can wait and see on that one.

I am clearly missing the point.

No lawsuit has been filed apart from Tamara Green's for defamation, but say hypothetically those 30 women file a lawsuit and one is lying. Say hypothetically that the other 29 believe the liar and have no idea she is lying.

What then, is the point?

Just for the record, I believe all of them and again this is hypothetical.

ETA: Sorry, I did forget about Judy Huth's lawsuit. So that's one.

As far as I'm concerned, the whole thing is BS. Anyone who goes/meets alone. . .well, you know the rest, and drinks it or takes it is., .well, you fill in the blanks.

Cosby and a lot of others must have been like buffalo in new grass with the women wanting stardom and/or recognition. Shame on 'em, and I don't mean Cosby.

I think that's what is wrong with today's world, no one takes responsibility for their OWN actions, they want to foist it off on someone else.
My opinion of course.

So what you're saying is the women who met Bill Cosby alone (and by many accounts there were members of BC's household staff around, but let's put that aside for the moment) need to take responsibility for themselves being raped.

While Bill Cosby need not take any responsibility for raping them. After all, he was just behaving like buffalo in new grass. What else would anyone expect him to do?

If he had an opportunity to rape a woman and did, it's the woman's responsibility for giving him the opportunity, not his responsibility for raping her.

Is that what you mean? I apologize if I am misunderstanding you.

ETA additional thoughts.

In the previous thread I posted about an experience I had with a man I trusted. He offered to help me with my taxes and I went over to his apartment because that's where his computer was with the software on it, and I was alone with him.

So if he had raped me as at one point I feared he might, it would have been my responsibility for being raped and not his for raping me?

PS I offered to pay him for the tax work also, or take him to dinner or otherwise compensate him for his time. But there was no way I indicated that I would have sex with him in return for the tax work.

As far as I'm concerned, the whole thing is BS. Anyone who goes/meets alone. . .well, you know the rest, and drinks it or takes it is., .well, you fill in the blanks.

Cosby and a lot of others must have been like buffalo in new grass with the women wanting stardom and/or recognition. Shame on 'em, and I don't mean Cosby.

I think that's what is wrong with today's world, no one takes responsibility for their OWN actions, they want to foist it off on someone else.
My opinion of course.

OMG are you freaking kidding me?! When I was young and single, I went on dates...sometimes we were at restaurants...as I got to know them, we might find ourselves alone together at my place or his, watching a movie, having a glass of wine...so if I was RAPED, it would have been something I needed to "take responsibility" for, since, you know, having a glass of wine handed to me, or being alone with a man, is, "you know...." What?! Invitation to rape?

I've had job interviews where I was alone in a room with a man...and handed a cup of coffee...so I was asking for trouble? I've met with professors in their office alone, and accepted a glass of water...if he put drugs in it, it was something "I" needed to "take responsibility" for?

In most of these cases, these were young women who thought they were meeting to go over a script, or discuss their career with someone they thought was going to mentor them. In the case of one, she drank a CUP OF CAPPUCINO, which was drugged.

That is just a despicable point of view.

Additional thoughts on Cosby's "black media" comment.

Again, the exact quote (snipped) is,"I only expect the black media to uphold the standards of excellence in journalism."

In the absence of voice inflections, this can be taken two ways:

1. He expects nothing from the black media except that it upholds the standards of excellence in journalism.

or

2. He expects that the black media alone--as opposed to any other media--will uphold the standards of excellence in journalism.

Either way he's playing the race card. I posted my thoughts on #1 further upthread. That would be manipulative enough.

If he meant #2, that's far worse. Not only is it manipulative, it's extremely (reverse) racist.

And quite a slap in the face to the presumably white-dominated media that has for the most part shrugged off the allegations against him up until now.

Personally, I don't find victim-blaming to be cool.

My opinion of course.

Holy hell. So in other words, they asked for this? Seems like pretty savage victim blaming to me. Wow.

Holy hell. So in other words, they asked for this? Seems like pretty savage victim blaming to me. Wow.

It brings me down to log in here and read someone blaming a victim, as I sorta think of this place as a sanctuary for victims. JMO.

It brings me down to log in here and read someone blaming a victim, as I sorta think of this place as a sanctuary for victims. JMO.

I'm sad about it. Shocked a bit. No wonder victims of sex crimes often stay silent. I guess Hannah Graham asked for it too? But I think that attitude is probably more prevalent than one would think. It's just that most are too scared to say what they really think. :(

Oh well what do you know! It's the journalistic standards that are lacking again. The reporters are to blame.

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/bill-cosby-breaks-silence-black-media-stay-neutral-073643824.html

Neutral meaning, shut up and be on his side?

Why is the blackness of the media significant to the treatment of the case, why? Isn't the truth the same for the black and the white and the blue journalists? And some of the alleged victims are also black so I'm not sure why being a black journalist means that you should side with the alleged black rapist and discount the alleged victims.

He apparently wasn't too concerned about journalistic standards/ethics when he gave an exclusive story to the National Enquirer in return for them killing the story they were going to run about Beth Ferrier's rape claims against him.

Now this I can agree with. Innocent or guilty, the race card carries a lot of weight among some people - rightly or wrongly.

I'm so confused.

You stated that this is all BS anyway. So why should Cosby play the race card or any other card in his own defense? After all, he was just like a buffalo in new grass among all those women who agreed to be alone with him and thus should take responsibility for being raped by him.

There's no definitive answer on why non-action happens imo, but it certainly isn't unique to alleged victims of BC or industry. Here is an article (on Jian Ghomeshi but maybe it will help give more perspective on "non-action" in sexual assault/rape cases).

I Knew About Jian Ghomeshi
So did a lot of people in our Toronto scene. We never said anything. Are we complicit in his alleged abuse?
http://www.slate.com/articles/doubl..._t_surprised_to_hear_them_does_that_make.html
By Carl Wilson
Nov. 3 2014 8:48 PM

From the article: "...As you follow all of this, you remember reading the words of Pope Francis when he held a special Mass at the Vatican this summer for visiting survivors of clerical sexual abuse: He spoke of “despicable actions, camouflaged by a complicity that cannot be explained...So what should you have done, back when there were only rumors and snaky vibes?... ”"

-This is an excellent article about another side of the parallel story –about the silence and collusion, and encountering the immoral. Bbm: The Pope’s insight reminds me that not everything can be explained – that it defies comprehension, that sometimes there is no answer.

I think the universe is giving over some secrets from the 70’s. -I have been thinking of why now? Why all at once way after the facts? In Bowman’s response, to the twitter response, about another comedian’s reference to BC rape allegations - I feel like she was saying ‘wait a minute’ there are real women attached to those allegations, and all fine, well, and good, to use it in a stand-up routine, but here’s the real deal. …And the Washington Post published it.

Bowman: Why did it take 30 years for people to believe my story?" http://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...take-30-years-for-people-to-believe-my-story/

it’s amazing how the timeline is silent between 2006 & 2014. Yet Bowman & Dickenson spoke up in 2006. Only now, in 2014 has it gained traction. http://www.vulture.com/2014/09/timeline-of-the-abuse-charges-against-cosby.html

It’s shocking, not only that there were this many women involved, but also in the millions of voices in response to their stories and allegations across various media platforms over the last several weeks.

I was 18 in 1974, a time when nothing was published without permission, when an expose had supportable sources, “or else”. Who would have heard these women in the 70’s? Who would have published it? How were these women to find out they were not alone in their story? They knew for sure when Andrea Constand threatened legal action in 2004 but because it was settled in 2006– the burden was silenced again. …Yet again. So I can only guess as to what this means now for these women. Most are my age and up and I think to speak about it, let alone relive a horrific experience at this age is an action not taken without personal sacrifice.

Even though I think ‘why did they not speak out then’ is a very valid Q, I do not believe these women are responsible nor should they be held responsible for the safety of the future masses from the clutches of an unchecked bad man in the 70’s – when no one would listen to them in the first place. But they do have something to offer women, now. How young women (and men) filter this into their own current issues, what they take away could be a message for change, and for insight. So regardless of what happens to BC and potential litigations, my idealistic self hopes it is perhaps the ripple effect of permission that could hopefully empower those who are silenced, today.

I'm sad about it. Shocked a bit. No wonder victims of sex crimes often stay silent. I guess Hannah Graham asked for it too? But I think that attitude is probably more prevalent than one would think. It's just that most are too scared to say what they really think. :(

And yet, some still blame the accusers for not reporting it at the time.

The victims just can't do anything right.

Why? Because some of the women are/will be asking for $$$.

Oh, so by "how do you differentiate" you meant "how can it be differentiated in a court of law?"

It depends who is asking for money and the case they are able to make against BC. Do you know who, if anyone, has asked for money?

Oh, so by "how do you differentiate" you meant "how can it be differentiated in a court of law?"

It depends who is asking for money and the case they are able to make against BC. Do you know who, if anyone, has asked for money?

If one files a civil suit, what do you think they want?

OMG are you freaking kidding me?! When I was young and single, I went on dates...sometimes we were at restaurants...as I got to know them, we might find ourselves alone together at my place or his, watching a movie, having a glass of wine...so if I was RAPED, it would have been something I needed to "take responsibility" for, since, you know, having a glass of wine handed to me, or being alone with a man, is, "you know...." What?! Invitation to rape?

I've had job interviews where I was alone in a room with a man...and handed a cup of coffee...so I was asking for trouble? I've met with professors in their office alone, and accepted a glass of water...if he put drugs in it, it was something "I" needed to "take responsibility" for?

In most of these cases, these were young women who thought they were meeting to go over a script, or discuss their career with someone they thought was going to mentor them. In the case of one, she drank a CUP OF CAPPUCINO, which was drugged.

That is just a despicable point of view.

I wish I could thank this post a million times.

If one files a civil suit, what do you think they want?

I'm not Slebby, but my answer is compensation for their pain and suffering.

Tracy Morgan has launched a civil suit against Wal-Mart for his accident. What do you think he wants?

He is asking people to remain neutral. Not side with him.
I'm still waiting on judgment here. I think that it could be that she knows these allegations are false because she was with him at that time. It could be that there is a past we don't know about where these women have threatened to tell a story if he does not pay him. There are more possibilities than can be counted.

I don't like end runs around the law. And I don't like people suing people for money unless there is a death.

So for me this is still not coming out where I need it to to make the leap to him being guilty of anything.

BBM So if hypothetically you are in an accident caused by a drunk driver and are rendered a quadriplegic as a result, you wouldn't sue that driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419