Results from Genealogy DNA testing are in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone ever hear of 23andme?
It's a DNA test that tests for diseases and ancestry.

Your risk analyzed for 119 diseases and traits, including:

* Breast Cancer
* Rheumatoid Arthritis
* Type 2 Diabetes

Your ancestral path, based on your DNA, in amazing detail:

* Ancestry Painting
* Global Similarity
* Maternal and Paternal Ancestry

Sorry for O/T

WOW!!! When I have some money I would like to have this done. I am adopted and it would clear up a lot of rumours and misty memories.:dance:

Has anyone here done anything like this and was it accurate?

Sorry for O/T

WOW!!! When I have some money I would like to have this done. I am adopted and it would clear up a lot of rumours and misty memories.:dance:

O/T I don't know anyone who's had this done, but it could be useful for families who didn't keep good medical records (for future generations).

I wonder how costly it is to have the test done?

O/T I don't know anyone who's had this done, but it could be useful for families who didn't keep good medical records (for future generations).

I wonder how costly it is to have the test done?

$400 which is actually cheaper then having your DNA test done.
We paid $650 for paternity alone. Ours would be admissible in court which is why it was a little more expensive.

From DNA Diagnostics Center

Home DNA Test: $245
Legal DNA Test: $475 (has gone down since 2006)

Sorry for O/T

More O/T- Have you tried going to Adoption.com?

We found my adopted brother there.
If you register, make sure you register on the main site as well as the forums.
I was registered on the forums for years; my brother was actually registered on the link I gave.

I'd done everything when the site just went up which is why I was a little "sloppy" with registration.

FWIW, I'm not sure his DNA was ever checked against my "mother" so it's possible he's not even my brother.

If Ben was adopted, the link I posted might be very helpful for him.

Back to Clarence. :)

I received a reply from the descendent of Clarence Powell. His daughter is the link from this family line, so the male in their familys DNA would link to a different male surname other than Powell. She was very kind and is very willing to help if she can. She indicated she has received another email regarding the resemblence, AND she was kind enough to contact the webmaster for the Powell DNA project asking how she can help. :clap: I'm hoping together we might be able to find other male descendents from this family line (with her help and the wonderful WS'rs who are brilliant at genealogy) to see if we can't find someone from this line to participate in the DNA project. Perhaps a brother of Clarence? or another male in that line. That is in the works and I am awaiting further info from her.

She did tell me that at one time after the 1700's. This Powell family was in Kosciusko County, Indiana possibly into Illinois. I don't have access to the census records, but perhaps someone wants to look at the Kosciusko County Census records and see if they can find any Powells. I don't have a year, but after the 1700's. Maybe we can find a link that way.

I have also asked if she knows if this line of the Powell family is Catholic, was Catholic, or converted to Catholisicm (sp?) since Mr. Kyle thinks he went to Catholic school.

I will update as I have more information.

Thank you to this family member of Clarence Mosteller Powell for her assistance! It is very much appreciated! :clap:

ETA: I just looked and Kosciusko County IS in northern Indiana, a good sign! It is also a relatively small county, with a population of about 74,000 as of the most recent census. Another good sign! We aren't looking at someplace with such a large population we could have scores of Powells. Let's get to work on finding the Powell familys from this county and see what we can find. TY!

I received a reply from the descendent of Clarence Powell. His daughter is the link from this family line, so the male in their familys DNA would link to a different male surname other than Powell. She was very kind and is very willing to help if she can.

OMG!
Thank you so much Cubby and thank yo to the relative!

Cyber hugs!

TY Roselvr.

Another thought. I think her receptiveness to help is due to her interest in genealogy. While searching, if we find other Powell family members who have genealogy family pages online, it is likely they would be more receptive and interested in helping. Especially because they may not be aware of the Y-dna projects. With their interest in genealogy, that Y-Dna project might be helpful to them to search their family surname ( even if it isn't a male Powell ) and they may be more interested and likely to have the knowledge to explain how the Y-dna project works, and 'convince' a family member to participate in assisting Mr. Kyle vs. a Powell who doesn't have the same interest in their heritage.

Let's keep our fingers crossed!

I have an aquaintance who is a Powell that lives in Arcadia, Indiana. I have his email. What link would be best for me to send to him that is not a forum. I think he my look @ it if it only had facts but not on forum for his time is limited.

bam, Mr. Kyle's wiki page is a condescended version of the story. I would send that link, along with the link to the newspaper article requesting Powell Family members to participate in the Powell family Y-Dna project. Let me find the two links and I will come back and edit this post to add them.

TY!

Wiki link: [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjaman_Kyle[/ame]

ETA: Found the link for the Powell surname dna project. Here it is:
http://home.flash.net/~parino/powell-surname-dna-project.htm

Hi Everyone,

Been following this case and others for a long time. This one and the Grateful Dead Jason Doe case just fascinate me.

Anyway, Cubby I think you are on to something. The resemblance of Benjaman to Clarence is remarkable. So much, that I looked up Clarence on ancestry.com. I found a family tree someone had posted that had Clarence in it. I emailed the submitter asking if they had ever heard of this case. I was hoping they might have some info on a long lost relative.

Turns out the submitter is the great granddaughter of Clarence. She was very nice, but had never heard of this case and didn't mention any long lost relatives. She did state she had the DNA results of her father (Clarence's grandson) and was willing to help.

Here is part of her email

"Clarence is my great-grandfather and I have a lot of information on the Powell line. The first place I have them is in the Monogahela County, West Virginia area. The family migrated to Ohio from there, and eventually over the years moved into Indiana and Iowa. There was a Powell family that stayed in the West Virginia area, that are possibly related to my Powells, but I have never found a direct link to substantiate this.

Clarence served in the Spanish American War in Florida and word-of-mouth stories say that he married while there. I have never found anything to substantiate this though. "

NCsleuth, I missed your post as my computer was down about a month. Thank you for this info. See my post above.... didn't know you had already made contact before I did. :blowkiss:

I have found information regarding the descendents of one of Clarence Mosteller Powells brothers, Ainswell Leroy Powell.

Does anyone have an ancestry.com account who can assist in locating contact information for living male Powell descendents either through ancestry, or obits? Isn't there a pay obit site too? I'm just kind of stuck here with limited info, names, DOB and DOD. And my brain is a bit rusty from being without a 'working computer' for a year or so that limited my search ability.

HELP! Anyone who can help please send me a pm so I can send you the info and links. I don't want to post them as they may lead to personal info... I'd really like to find as much contact info for living male descendents of this Powell line and see if we can find someone willing to participate in that Y-DNA test.

There are some family trees with Ainsworth Leroy Powell at Ancestry but I am unable to determine or find a male Powell there.... or if anyone from these family trees is a Powell family member... You get the drift.

Thanks!

Not to be 'debbie downer', but the link to that y-dna site indicates for male lineage testing, the fee is $209.00. For some, especially in this economy and with the holidays coming, that might be a bit steep to assist to help id Mr. Kyle. I'm thinking many may be willing, but with the cost unable to assist.

Does anyone know if with the 'appeal' for volunteers to assist Mr. Kyle by taking this y-dna test, they have either waived or reduced to fee for the Powell family members willing to do this?

hey cubby,

i've got an ancestry.com acct and more than 40 thousand peeps in my tree and......my great grandmother was a powell from virginia!!!! i know some ended up in illinois and ohio. how very weird. pm the info if you want and i'll be glad to help in any way i can

i'm not sure where to post this, but i think bk looks amazingly like jimmy buffett

Thanks! I sent my friend the link and also link to websleuths.
I sent a link months ago but he may not have read it. I put DNA connection to Powell family in subject line this time so I think he maybe he will look at it.
Keeping fingers crossed.
bam, Mr. Kyle's wiki page is a condescended version of the story. I would send that link, along with the link to the newspaper article requesting Powell Family members to participate in the Powell family Y-Dna project. Let me find the two links and I will come back and edit this post to add them.

TY!

Wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjaman_Kyle

ETA: Found the link for the Powell surname dna project. Here it is:
http://home.flash.net/~parino/powell-surname-dna-project.htm

Thanks everyone. I've put more research on this end on hold for the time being. I didn't realize the DNA test was so costly and I'd have a hard time asking someone to 'volunteer' their dna to assist Mr. Kyle, but their volunteer work would cost them minimally 209.00 I can't in good conscience 'solicit' volunteers to do this with that fee.

I am going to make a few contacts during the upcoming week and see if there is some way to offer a discount or waive the fee for those willing to submit DNA solely to assist Mr. Kyle.( My real estate negotiating skills will come in handy here. ;) ) Of course there would have to be some constraints with doing so to keep everyone and anyone requesting the services for a discounted or waived fee if it does not pertain to assisting Mr. Kyle. I have a few idea's on how to do that which I will suggest to the contacts I make. We'll see, but if the fee remains as is, I simply can not solicit those requests.

hey cubby,

i've got an ancestry.com acct and more than 40 thousand peeps in my tree and......my great grandmother was a powell from virginia!!!! i know some ended up in illinois and ohio. how very weird. pm the info if you want and i'll be glad to help in any way i can

Thank you krazykidz. Do you know if the Powells in your family tree link to the Clarence Mosteller Powell we think resembles Mr. Kyle? See, what we would need for this DNA testing, is a male from the Clarence Mosteller Powell line. The lady who was kind enough to respond to my email as well as another WS'rs email also has a female link to the Powell family. That won't help with the Y-DNA testing because they have a different male surname.

I'd love to get as many Powells to participate, but I can't ask as I mentioned in the previous post due to the costs. Now if I were unlimitedly wealthy beyond my wildest imagination, I would offer to pay for the tests myself, but I don't have a money tree ;) so to speak.

Now, if we found a male directly linked to this line- Clarence Mosteller Powell (His brothers name is Ainsworth, and his full name is listed in the tags for this thread.) who HAS info online indicating he has a very strong involvement and interest in his family tree, I could justify requesting participation in the Y-DNA test, with the fee, because it may be of interest to him and he wouldn't mind paying the fee for the tree, but not just anybody...

Hope that makes sense and THANK YOU for your interest in helping!

hi cubby,

did anyone ever post on the powell message board at ancestry.com about bk? that would solve the problem of multiple notifications to powell trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member