Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 2/10 - Break

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's seems like they were just puzzled. How much San they say if the hears nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. That clip to me says...they came back from lunch...walked in to the empty courtroom (media and spectators had been cleared out) and Jodi was on the stand and they were sort of shocked and looked at each other "like whoa"

It's seems like they were just puzzled. How much can they say if the hears nothing.

But they are not even allowed to express puzzlement to each other in terms of the trial testimony.

Remember the juror from first trial that got sent home for laughing at a joke or a comment or something as the jurors were leaving the court room?

I agree. That clip to me says...they came back from lunch...walked in to the empty courtroom (media and spectators had been cleared out) and Jodi was on the stand and they were sort of shocked and looked at each other "like whoa"

That is my take on it also. We will find our tomorrow. Could be why the all looked somber at the end of the day.

Yet another delay today...
From reviewing the juror questions for Dr D, I am now more than ever convinced they will not sentence the murderer to death. I believe Nurmi has indeed been successful in saving his client's life. My guess is the jury will come to a consensus that CMJA suffers from agency form of mental illness and will spare her.
The thing that breaks my heart is that Travis will never get the justice he deserves. The killer's defense is based on her lies. There is no way to disprove them. He cannot defend himself. And I am upset that this killer may win again...in the sense that she continues to attack Travis' character and she makes up more lies as she goes. I am disgusted with this farce of a trial. This "retrial" is now longer than the guilt phase, for crying out loud. I have tried to avoid judge bashing, but it is clear JSS is in way over her head, justice is not prevailing here, the trial has gone awry because this judge is not a manager of anything - no time management, no limits on sidebars, allowing frivolous motions, affidavits from anonymous people, weeks of inactivity, secret testimony, etc. Total disregard for the jury, no boundaries. No order.
Wasted resources. How can JSS expect 16 people to put their lives on hold for so long? This retrial was supposed to end December 18.
I am beginning to think it is JSS strategy to lose jurors and JSS will sentence her to LWOP. Everyone wins, except Travis and the Alexander family. It saddens me that justice will not be served, for the victim.
Yep, I am bummed. I check twitter at the end of the day only to find much of the same nonsense. No progress. One step forward, two steps back.

When I was following these questions as they were being sent out from the court room, several commentors on JMPSP were saying they did not like these questions and others were saying Dr. D's replies to the questions were making them nervous. But I think the jurors asked good questions and I'm not worried about the Dr.s replies. I think she was educating the jurors. They already have heard in testimonies how Arias stalked Travis for a year, peeped into his windows when he was with other girls, showed up in his house uninvited, even showed up and cut the lights out at the circuit breakers in the basement. Travis found her there. He was even warning girls about her, telling them they may get strange emails, but it would be Arias sending them. He had his tires slashed and his personal online accounts broke into, even when he'd change his password, she'd figure out the new one.

I think Juan will not fail in putting this all in order for them, so they will understand. I do have one question though, and it is: If Fonseca and Geffner DO come back, how can they possibly reconcile Nurmi's NOW embracing BPD since they were adamant that Arias has PTSD and NOT BPD? I think they may be very hesitant to get back on that witness stand and CHANGE their original 'opinion'. (Remember, they both said they are not 'diagnosing' her, but I think they were analyzing the relationship.) They also said, especially Fonseca, that she has PTSD due to 'domestic violence'.

Even if she does have that, then wouldn't it be the result of her brutal ambush and slaughtering of Travis? If so, she was never diagnosed with it BEFORE she killed him. So that would not be a mitigating factor, if it came on as a result of the murder.

But how can they possibly change their 'analysis' since they've already testified a different way, and insisted that she did not have BPD?

BBM The bolded statement stands out to me. It screams that she had a keystroke program installed on his computer. I am wondering if she removed it after killing him if the computer experts could tell it had been there!

Interesting. Could this be why the jurors were being questioned yesterday.?
https://twitter.com/BAtlinburg/statu...18805027086336

And it went Poof within seconds. Sorry. It was a video of the juror that was dimised. I believe the last name is Garcia. The clip said something about how the jurors were stunned that Arias was on the stand and something about it being discussed.
Then there was a tweet to SW about it and she said she sent the clip to the defense. This is the clip https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153610411514546&set=vb.537149545&type=2&theater

The tweet or message can be seen on the JA hashtag. It was still there the last time I looked.

Sounds like much ado about nothing. It's probably one of those things where they walked in, saw something different, and maybe stole a glance around at each other or saw someone roll their eyes or who knows what. The judge and attorneys were in place when the jury walked in, so if they suddenly started chatting with each other about it - as the JA supporter message implies - the court would have known immediately and dealt with it then.

This ex-juror was a little too chatty for my blood, but I think it's natural in a group situation like that to think you are normal so other people are probably thinking the same thing as you are about something that's ______ (weird, annoying, distracting, etc.), so it's easy to use "we" instead of "I" since it seems so blatantly obvious. It's no different to me than after yet another case where they are called in to be dismissed one juror overhears another one grumble under their breath, "Oh carp - not another wasted day!"

None of these things mean the jury has started deliberating. If they couldn't talk to each other at all they wouldn't be allowed to eat lunch together.

Sounds like much ado about nothing. It's probably one of those things where they walked in, saw something different, and maybe stole a glance around at each other or saw someone roll their eyes or who knows what. The judge and attorneys were in place when the jury walked in, so if they suddenly started chatting with each other about it - as the JA supporter message implies - the court would have known immediately and dealt with it then.

This ex-juror was a little too chatty for my blood, but I think it's natural in a group situation like that to think you are normal so other people are probably thinking the same thing as you are about something that's ______ (weird, annoying, distracting, etc.), so it's easy to use "we" instead of "I" since it seems so blatantly obvious. It's no different to me than after yet another case where they are called in to be dismissed one juror overhears another one grumble under their breath, "Oh carp - not another wasted day!"

None of these things mean the jury has started deliberating. If they couldn't talk to each other at all they wouldn't be allowed to eat lunch together.

What you are describing is totally true and probably what really happened. But for the first time, I think Nurmi has some ammo, for one of his stupid mistrial motions. Just by having one of the jurors out on TV SAYING ' WE thought this' is very problematic. JMO

image.jpg

Breakfast then beach time. Enjoy your 7 x 11 cell and mystery stew today Jodi

No, the dismissed juror was being interviewed by a tv reporter. And she said on tv, that ' We were surprised to see her on the stand in an empty courtroom, and WE THOUGHT ' WHAT HAPPENED?'

The tweet was from a JA supporter, who sent the video to Nurmi, saying it would be helpful because it seemed to show that the jury was discussing the case...

And it does seem to show that, but who knows if she is telling an accurate story?

That is probably why they went in one by one---to be asked if they discussed the super secret testimony with each other.

Sounds like a real possibility..

My, those 4 JA supporters do keep busy, don't they? I'm sure they're sooper excited that they will be responsible for JA getting a mistrial because they think they can now prove once and for all that the jurors are all part of the massive conspiracy to murder JA.

Won't they be disappointed. FGS. Everyone here wondered what the jury would think when they returned to an emptied courtroom. Of course they were surprised and curious too. No doubt there were a few moments when all their faces expressed "whoa! what gives?"

That babbling ex-juror has demonstrated before that she has a wee problem telling straight stories, not to mention a determination to get her 15 minutes of fame. Even that wasn't enough, apparently.

She's the juror with ethical question marks over her head- not the other jurors who were honest during voire dire. I very much doubt jurors discussed their reaction.

It's disgusting that she's willing to risk the trial and to challenge the remaining jurors' integrity in order to regain the media's attention.

Nurmi has never believed in the jurors, this trial or last. At least JSS has done that much in the past. She created the problem in the first place. I can't see her calling a mistrial.

I have a feeling that she will get a life sentence, the deliberations have gone on for so long it seems evident that there is a real hesitation to give her the death penalty.

This is such an awful case, her diagnosis of a personality disorder (which I believe) make sentencing that much harder as she is not psychotic despite her disordered thought process. I think she and Travis were the "perfect storm" her attempts to keep him lead to his mistreatment and disrespect if her which exacerbated her illness. I know this may come across as victim blaming, I'm not at all- no one deserves to die the way he did, but if that was my sister being treated in the same manner I'd be quick to get him out if her life.

Travis didn't deserve to be murdered, period. He deserved to continue his life without JA in it and make the world a better place because he was in it. Travis had done so much good for others in the short years he was here. He should have been able to continue his hopes, dreams, and goals.

And if I had known all of the hideous things she had done, and if Travis had been my brother, I would have done everything in my power trying to protect him from this evildoer. I don't think their relationship made her any way other than what she has always been. She always tried to use sex as her tool of manipulation long before she even knew Travis. Unfortunately for Travis he became the targeted victim she would murder ruthlessly. Why? Imo, because Travis had much more potential than any of the other men even though she also tried to get them to go back with her. Travis was the one who could make JA appear in a better light for all to see and to JA everything is shallow and about appearance sake.

She was out of his life. She kept intruding into his personal space. She is the one calling, texting, emailing him constantly using her usual trap of offering kinky sex. She was a 1000 miles away from him. She was the one who called him to set up the sex tape that he had no idea she recorded. So she wasn't in his life. Travis told his friends he was very upset she moved to Mesa after their 'breakup' and was relieved to see her go back to Yreka. Travis had gone to CA just two weeks before his murder and he did not go to see the murderess and IMO he never had any intentions of going. Travis was moving on with his life without JA in it and he was fine with that and relieved she was a 1000 miles away, imo.

None of this is Travis' fault. Men have been lured by sexual demons all through history..many of them powerful men and leaders. That is all JA had to offer anyone. Travis tried his best to rid himself of this plague. He told her flat out to leave him alone. He had told her that many times and they would never be married. She knew the drill yet she persisted anyway by hacking into his private spaces, stalking him, and invading every possible avenue in his life.

Her BPD would not sway me to spare her life. Not for one second. It is a disorder that millions have. Most with BPD go through life without ever murdering someone so to give JA this excuse because she has it too is ridiculous imo. Although she has always been highly manipulative, using sex as a tool, and self centered she lived a rather mundane life before meeting Travis.

Why should I all of a sudden think that this disorder means something now when she has had it ever since her childhood?

That is why no one has anything good to say about JA. She was this manipulative destructive creature long before she tried to snare Travis into her web.

Travis was too good for his own good. He had patience with her at times I am sure no one else could have had. He forgave her for many of the terrible things she did to him over and over again. He tried to help her any way he could. But even Travis had finally come to realize how dangerous she was even though Travis was known to try to see the good in everyone.

Travis was a victim of domestic homicide. His story of domestic abuse done by JA is no different than the many other tragic stories we have read here. What abusers do is first start with pouring on the charm in order to snare their target and from there they totally consume the life of the victim. Then they begin to show obsessive traits such as stalking, unhealthy jealous rages, and so often, just like Travis, when the victim has finally had their fill of the abuse they tell their victimizer they want out of the relationship and to leave them the hell alone.

Once that has been said tragically it is the most dangerous time for a victim and so many times the abuser will murder the victim who has tried to get them out of their lives.

I have no doubt, Travis like most victims of DV... tried to appease JA because he feared what would happen if he did not.

Travis didn't deserve to be murdered, period. He deserved to continue his life without JA in it and make the world a better place because he was in it. Travis had done so much good for others in the short years he was here. He should have been able to continue his hopes, dreams, and goals.

And if I had known all of the hideous things she had done, and if Travis had been my brother, I would have done everything in my power trying to protect him from this evildoer. I don't think their relationship made her any way other than what she has always been. She always tried to use sex as her tool of manipulation long before she even knew Travis. Unfortunately for Travis he became the targeted victim she would murder ruthlessly. Why? Imo, because Travis had much more potential than any of the other men even though she also tried to get them to go back with her. Travis was the one who could make JA appear in a better light for all to see and to JA everything is shallow and about appearance sake.

She was out of his life. She kept intruding into his personal space. She is the one calling, texting, emailing him constantly using her usual trap of offering kinky sex. She was a 1000 miles away from him. She was the one who called him to set up the sex tape that he had no idea she recorded. So she wasn't in his life. Travis told his friends he was very upset she moved to Mesa after their 'breakup' and was relieved to see her go back to Yreka. Travis had gone to CA just two weeks before his murder and he did not go to see the murderess and IMO he never had any intentions of going. Travis was moving on with his life without JA in it and he was fine with that and relieved she was a 1000 miles away, imo.

None of this is Travis' fault. Men have been lured by sexual demons all through history..many of them powerful men and leaders. That is all JA had to offer anyone. Travis tried his best to rid himself of this plague. He told her flat out to leave him alone. He had told her that many times and they would never be married. She knew the drill yet she persisted anyway by hacking into his private spaces, stalking him, and invading every possible avenue in his life.

Her BPD would not sway me to spare her life. Not for one second. It is a disorder that millions have. Most with BPD go through life without ever murdering someone so to give JA this excuse because she has it too is ridiculous imo. Although she has always been highly manipulative, using sex as a tool, and self centered she lived a rather mundane life before meeting Travis.

Why should I all of a sudden think that this disorder means something now when she has had it ever since her childhood?

That is why no one has anything good to say about JA. She was this manipulative destructive creature long before she tried to snare Travis into her web.

Travis was too good for his own good. He had patience with her at times I am sure no one else could have had. He forgave her for many of the terrible things she did to him over and over again. He tried to help her any way he could. But even Travis had finally come to realize how dangerous she was even though Travis was known to try to see the good in everyone.

Travis was a victim of domestic homicide. His story of domestic abuse done by JA is no different than the many other tragic stories we have read here. What abusers do is first start with pouring on the charm in order to snare their target and from there they totally consume the life of the victim. Then they begin to show obsessive traits such as stalking, unhealthy jealous rages, and so often, just like Travis, when the victim has finally had their fill of the abuse they tell their victimizer they want out of the relationship and to leave them the hell alone.

Once that has been said tragically it is the most dangerous time for a victim and so many times the abuser will murder the victim who has tried to get them out of their lives.

I have no doubt, Travis like most victims of DV... tried to appease JA because he feared what would happen if he did not.

Awesome post OBE! The thanks button was not enough.
At the end of the original trial I thought Travis may have been a victim of DV, this re-trial has brought out more information and has left me with absolutely no doubt that Travis was a victim. Travis' family has known all these facts and much much more all these years and they are still waiting for justice. So very very sad.

What you are describing is totally true and probably what really happened. But for the first time, I think Nurmi has some ammo, for one of his stupid mistrial motions. Just by having one of the jurors out on TV SAYING ' WE thought this' is very problematic. JMO

There is no way at this point in time that JSS is going to grant any sort of mistrial motion unless it's something so blatant that she has no choice. If it's marginal - screw it. We're almost 4 months and a ton of $$$$ in and probably no more than 1 month to go. If the jury hangs then the issue is moot; if not then an appeals court can decide whether JSS handled this correctly.

Just a thought; CMJA said she was attacked by someone using a knife, so if she in fact has (wink, wink) PTSD from that attack she would not have used a knife to attack TA.

YEP! And if knives were her trigger, she would also have problems being a server. She does not have PTSD, she's just an evil liar!

I have been wondering the same thing about a key logger. The other thing Travis mentioned was he kept getting logged off. Sounds like what remote login can do. Am so disgusted with Jodi, her defense team and so called experts. Am concerned the longer this part goes on the chances of a mistrial is possible. Certainly Nurmi isn't hiding the fact he is looking for chances to file. Hopefully this judge is aware of those possibilities and gets control of this runaway train. Also this juror on tv, her using the word "we", could she be using that word like generally speaking instead of word "I"

But the problem is what she is saying. She is making it sound like the jurors DISCUSSED the testimony of JA. And that would be a big NO NO--possibly resulting in a mistrial.
There's a difference in discussing "WHT did everyone go?" and discussing testimony. I would think the judge would have to let the jury know that she has sealed the courtroom. Otherwise I'd be sitting there thinking, "Terrorists? Zombie attack? Jodi killed everyone in the room?"

And honestly, the juror could also be using the royal "we". Not everyone is precise in using language....we were surprised vs I was surprised.

There's a difference in discussing "WHT did everyone go?" and discussing testimony. I would think the judge would have to let the jury know that she has sealed the courtroom. Otherwise I'd be sitting there thinking, "Terrorists? Zombie attack? Jodi killed everyone in the room?"

And honestly, the juror could also be using the royal "we". Not everyone is precise in using language....we were surprised vs I was surprised.

According to transcripts of the secret testimony, JSS instructed the jury that the courtroom would be closed to the public for the next portion of the trial. All counsel was present and JA immediately took the stand.

The only way the babbling juror could be speaking for the jury as a whole is if they did discuss later why the courtroom was closed. I don't believe they did.

According to transcripts of the secret testimony, JSS instructed the jury that the courtroom would be closed to the public for the next portion of the trial. All counsel was present and JA immediately took the stand.

The only way the babbling juror could be speaking for the jury as a whole is if they did discuss later why the courtroom was closed. I don't believe they did.
That's kind of what I'm thinking too:
Walk in.
Courtroom is empty.
I'm surprised.
I'm a human.
Other jurors are human (prolly anyway)
Rest of jury is much like me.
Ergo, "We're surprised."

This is a blunt question. Why would the prosecution hire such a young psychologist who had only been licensed to practise four years earlier? Surely JM could have predicted that this would give the DT reason to discredit her. Why take that chance?

As good as Dr. DM is, her years of experience, in comparison to Dr. Geffner, has indeed allowed the DT to capitalize on this.

Unfortunately, imo, the jurors questions about her "stated" experience (before being licensed) and her discrediting Dr. Geffner's testing, wouldn't have been such an "issue" with an older expert with many years of practise.

Anyway, this is something that I was concerned about in the original trial, and although ALV and Samuels were totally discredited, this jury missed how pathetic the DT experts were, despite their years of experience.

We don't know that jurors missed how pathetic the defense experts were. Nor do we know that Dr Demarte's relative inexperience is an issue - or at least, a negative issue. There's only one question pertaining to her experience, focussed on the nature of her pre-license activities - presumably to establish whether or not they actually count as "experience". And given her response - "Before licensed I practiced under the license of another psychologist but I met alone with the patient. This is standard." - the answer is clearly, yes.

Also, jurors may feel that a relative newcomer is more likely to conscientiously adhere to protocols, be familiar with the latest research, and strive for higher quality, etc., as they have careers and reputations to build, as compared to old hands, who may be jaded, lax and set in their ways.

BBM The bolded statement stands out to me. It screams that she had a keystroke program installed on his computer. I am wondering if she removed it after killing him if the computer experts could tell it had been there!

The computer experts would certainly be able to tell if a keystroke logger had been there. Most likely, TA was choosing weak passwords.

I've been thinking about how JA had forwarded all of TA's Gmail. It could have been something like this (which was definitely possible even in 2007 and 2008.)

Large screen shot behind spoiler
SQrcL4L.png

He would not see forwarded email in his "sent mail" folder this way. However, his messages would be marked "read" even if they were POP mail. Also, the Hugheses, who did have access to TA's Gmail account (right? and why???) would know because they would see these settings in his account if they looked.

There's no way for us to know exactly how she accessed his email until police or maybe Chris or Sky Hughes say more about it. Still, I think it's most likely weak passwords.

During the police interview when Det. Flores tells her that the police would know if she'd been checking TA's email, JA switches immediately from "no, never" to "I can tell you right now that I did." Then the ridiculous "reestablishing trust" by sharing passwords story tumbles out, which Det. Flores immediately acknowledges as farfetched nonsense. TA's friends clearly had already told the police that JA was known to be messing with TA's email and Facebook and MySpace accounts, and they knew that this was scary stalking behavior. Ya gotta wonder, how did she ever get the idea that her dumb lies were going over well? Surely nobody believes that TA was actually giving her his passwords. I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500