S.B.T.C ... The real meaning ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting piece of evidence that. You have to wonder who in that house would have the need to look up that word? John and Patsy would obviously be aware of its definition, but the children probably wouldn't have. So maybe Patsy catches the kids in the middle of something and lashes out saying something like "thats incest, thats disgusting and you should be ashamed". My guess that JB is still too young to navigate a dictionary, so it would have to have been Burke that looked up that word wouldn't it? It wasn't John, it wasn't Jonbenet and it wasn't Patsy. It had to be Burke. Now the question is why would he be looking it up?

It's more likely to me that there was no need to look up the meaning of the word. Patsy was directing the police just as to what occurred between John and JonBenet. As for Burke, I think it would be remarkable for him to even know that incest began with an inc as opposed to an ins or an ens.

Makes this picture all the more creepy...

tumblr_m1z6onXe8G1r19j9uo1_500.jpg

It was a pose directed by the photographer.

It's more likely to me that there was no need to look up the meaning of the word. Patsy was directing the police just as to what occurred between John and JonBenet. As for Burke, I think it would be remarkable for him to even know that incest began with an inc as opposed to an ins or an ens.

If Patsy wanted to help out the police there were so many other ways she could have done it. Remember, it was her neck on the line here too. The way I see it, there was something happening between Burke and JB and Patsy discovered it. Whatever followed led to JB being struck and believed to be dead. I think at that point there was a cool down period with Patsy seeking solace in her bible and Burke looking for answers in the dictionary. John may have still been asleep at this point, but I assume he was awakened and the coverup began. All MOO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you sure PR had nothing to do with it? It has pageantry written all over it.

I see Patsy as the type that would constantly be calling the shots. I bet the kids were probably miserable having to pose like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Years ago we posed for a picture somewhere, while on vacation. We picked out the clothing to wear and were told to not smile and be stiff as pictures taken in those days were that way. No one smiled and stiff not relaxed. I think that is all that is. imo

You're right, otg, that photo totally screams Addams Family. Did Mrs. Phillips say why JR was absent in this photo?
My understanding of that photo session is that the Ramseys (friends at the time of Judith) were invited to be photographed for inclusion in a book and an exhibit of her work titled "Motherhood". Subjects were invited to wear whatever they chose. Judith has stated she was somewhat surprised when they all showed up dressed in their Sunday finest.

As to the absence of John, since it's not mentioned anywhere... it could be that he was simply busy with work, maybe Patsy felt leaving out the father for the subject of motherhood was appropriate, or it could have been almost anything else we might speculate. I don't think though that there is anything sinister about John's absence.

Also, about the "posing" of JonBenet and Burke in that one photo... I don't know if it was deliberate (and if so, by whose doing), or if it just came out that way when they were asked to stand for a shot together. But I agree with all who see it and think it kind of strange under the circumstances. It creeps me out too.

(Note: After writing the above, I found Judith's account):

I instruct my clients to wear whatever is comfortable and then plan the image they wish to project on film. When Patsy walked into the studio, I was a bit surprised at her outfit and those of Burke, Nedra and JB. I don't recall anyone else that I have ever photographed for the Motherhood book that showed up dressed to the hilt like the Ramsey family.

I don't understand why any parent would want a picture like that of their children. There's not even a hint of a smile or happiness on either one of their faces.

Somehow, the phrase "trophy children" comes to mind.

I'm not trying to imply anything other than there was a style in the 90's fashion magazines called 'heroin chic'. Wikipedia says, "Heroin chic was a look popularized in mid-1990s fashion and characterized by pale skin, dark circles underneath the eyes and angular bone structure." I personally remember the style as one of showing miserable and gaunt models. The photo of BR & JBR look like they were done in this style. I do find the photo disturbing because I've seen many of these photos with adults only this time you also have the juxtaposition of youth. I hate to say it is artsy with a bit of emotional impact.

The salute isn't very well done. Kind of an artistic miss.

Can somebody explain to me the "son of a ***** Tom Carson" reference that Nedra Paugh said might stand for SBTC was that something that people called him? Also the Star Base Technical Command, Startrek suggestion is also interesting considering JR was a fan. Just been thinking that the SBTC reference could have been a message to JR rather than something random or something significant to Pasty. After reading DocG's blog I'm open to the belief that the ransom letter could have been written by JR. I know most on here will disagree and say that Pastry wrote the Ransom letter 100% but just a thought.

I think he dictated stuff from movies and she added her own flourishes. The end is all her IMO.

I've never assumed the dictionary page was dog-eared by a Ramsey.

The dictionary was in the downstairs study, the same room where Linda Arndt corralled people while they awaited the kidnappers' call after the other police officers left. She wasn't entirely successful in containing them, but neither were they all moving about freely. Present in the room were JR + PR, John + Barbara Fernie, Fleet + Priscilla White, Rev. Hoverstock, the two victim advocates, and Det. Arndt. - 10 people in all.

Below is a picture of the study, post-Ramsey, designed to exaggerate its size. Remember, the room has the same footprint as John's dressing room and JBR's balcony (second photo).

article-0-1C5E5BD700000578-484_634x475.jpg

JCs1RS.jpg

In the Rams' day, the study was more heavily furnished and would have been a bit crowded with 10 people mostly seated around the coffee table. I can't imagine that the dictionary was open in front of them with "incest" all but flashing at them, and somehow they all managed not to notice.

Several more credible possibilities present themselves. Perhaps after the body was brought upstairs one of the friends connected some dots - some odd things seen, heard, questioned - and, seeing the dictionary on the coffee table, hit on the idea of using it to raise the suspicion of incest anonymously. Or, perhaps Linda Arndt or another police officer chose to let the dictionary speak for them after the body was found, knowing that incest was a strong possibility and feeling frustrated by Eller's orders to treat the Rams as victims rather than suspects. Perhaps the dictionary was actually on the desk, but the person who folded the page corner also moved it to the center of the coffee table to draw attention to it and show that the marking was deliberate. There would have been opportunities for someone to return to the study to do any one of these things.

Although these possibilities are speculative, they are psychologically more convincing to me than Ramsey scenarios. For example:

Suppose you are John or Patsy needing to check the exact definition of incest - whether age determines the difference between that and sibling sexual exploration - because you're afraid your nine year old son is sexually exploiting your six year old daughter….

Suppose you are Burke, coercing your little sister into sexual activity, wondering if your parents might be catching on, hearing one of them use the word "incest"….

After you look up the word, do you:

A) Put the dictionary back exactly as you found it?

b) Leave the dictionary wide open on the coffee table, with the page corner pointing straight at what you most want to keep secret?

Suppose you are Patsy wanting to let John know that you know he's been molesting JBR….

Do you

A) Leave the open dictionary where he'll find it, with the page corner pointing to the accusation, but make sure it's put away before police and friends arrive on the 26th?

B) Leave the open dictionary where he'll find it, with the page corner pointing to the accusation; and after your daughter is found murdered and sexually assaulted in the basement, make sure it's still out where the police will also find it?

Meara,

Was your posting meant for the "SBTC meaning" thread thread?

I'm not trying to imply anything other than there was a style in the 90's fashion magazines called 'heroin chic'. Wikipedia says, "Heroin chic was a look popularized in mid-1990s fashion and characterized by pale skin, dark circles underneath the eyes and angular bone structure." I personally remember the style as one of showing miserable and gaunt models. The photo of BR & JBR look like they were done in this style. I do find the photo disturbing because I've seen many of these photos with adults only this time you also have the juxtaposition of youth. I hate to say it is artsy with a bit of emotional impact.

The salute isn't very well done. Kind of an artistic miss.

I seem to remember Judith saying that JonBenet saluted on her own.

Can somebody explain to me the "son of a ***** Tom Carson" reference that Nedra Paugh said might stand for SBTC was that something that people called him? Also the Star Base Technical Command, Startrek suggestion is also interesting considering JR was a fan. Just been thinking that the SBTC reference could have been a message to JR rather than something random or something significant to Pasty. After reading DocG's blog I'm open to the belief that the ransom letter could have been written by JR. I know most on here will disagree and say that Pastry wrote the Ransom letter 100% but just a thought.

It's probably nothing more than Nedra deciding that the letters SBTC equaled Son (of a) B1tch Tom Carson. Was he ever called that? Who knows. I imagine quite a few men have been called that at least once in their lives.

I've never assumed the dictionary page was dog-eared by a Ramsey.

The dictionary was in the downstairs study, the same room where Linda Arndt corralled people while they awaited the kidnappers' call after the other police officers left. She wasn't entirely successful in containing them, but neither were they all moving about freely. Present in the room were JR + PR, John + Barbara Fernie, Fleet + Priscilla White, Rev. Hoverstock, the two victim advocates, and Det. Arndt. - 10 people in all.

Below is a picture of the study, post-Ramsey, designed to exaggerate its size. Remember, the room has the same footprint as John's dressing room and JBR's balcony (second photo).

article-0-1C5E5BD700000578-484_634x475.jpg

JCs1RS.jpg

In the Rams' day, the study was more heavily furnished and would have been a bit crowded with 10 people mostly seated around the coffee table. I can't imagine that the dictionary was open in front of them with "incest" all but flashing at them, and somehow they all managed not to notice.

Several more credible possibilities present themselves. Perhaps after the body was brought upstairs one of the friends connected some dots - some odd things seen, heard, questioned - and, seeing the dictionary on the coffee table, hit on the idea of using it to raise the suspicion of incest anonymously. Or, perhaps Linda Arndt or another police officer chose to let the dictionary speak for them after the body was found, knowing that incest was a strong possibility and feeling frustrated by Eller's orders to treat the Rams as victims rather than suspects. Perhaps the dictionary was actually on the desk, but the person who folded the page corner also moved it to the center of the coffee table to draw attention to it and show that the marking was deliberate. There would have been opportunities for someone to return to the study to do any one of these things.

Although these possibilities are speculative, they are psychologically more convincing to me than Ramsey scenarios. For example:

Suppose you are John or Patsy needing to check the exact definition of incest - whether age determines the difference between that and sibling sexual exploration - because you're afraid your nine year old son is sexually exploiting your six year old daughter….

Suppose you are Burke, coercing your little sister into sexual activity, wondering if your parents might be catching on, hearing one of them use the word "incest"….

After you look up the word, do you:

A) Put the dictionary back exactly as you found it?

b) Leave the dictionary wide open on the coffee table, with the page corner pointing straight at what you most want to keep secret?

Suppose you are Patsy wanting to let John know that you know he's been molesting JBR….

Do you

A) Leave the open dictionary where he'll find it, with the page corner pointing to the accusation, but make sure it's put away before police and friends arrive on the 26th?

B) Leave the open dictionary where he'll find it, with the page corner pointing to the accusation; and after your daughter is found murdered and sexually assaulted in the basement, make sure it's still out where the police will also find it?

The only people I recall being in the study were John Ramsey and Det Arndt. The others were in the sunroom.

The only people I recall being in the study were John Ramsey and Det Arndt. The others were in the sunroom.

"Patsy spends most of the morning in the sunroom... (DOI p17)". "Her friends have kept her in the TV at the back of the house. (DOI p22)"

This is what they said in DOI. As I recall, Patsy was moved so she could lay down on a sofa. This does not square with other accounts.

From FF: "Barbara Fernie and Priscilla White had been with Patsy Ramsey in the Solarium when they heard Fleet’s shouting for an ambulance and moved from the room..."

I've read so much conflicting information in DOI that I'm beginning to think of it as a work of fiction.

"Patsy spends most of the morning in the sunroom... (DOI p17)". "Her friends have kept her in the TV at the back of the house. (DOI p22)"

This is what they said in DOI. As I recall, Patsy was moved so she could lay down on a sofa. This does not square with other accounts.

From FF: "Barbara Fernie and Priscilla White had been with Patsy Ramsey in the Solarium when they heard Fleet’s shouting for an ambulance and moved from the room..."

I've read so much conflicting information in DOI that I'm beginning to think of it as a work of fiction.

The sunroom, tv room, and solarium are all the same room.

"Her friends have kept her in the TV room at the back of the house." Now I find this confusing. The body was just moved from the basement to a location near the door at the top of the stairs. It was then moved to be placed in front of the Christmas tree in the living room. So John is saying that Patsy is at the back of the house when the tree is next to the sunroom. He also said that at some time (not in DOI) Patsy was at some time "back in the study with Barbara and Fernie". In DOI he says that he put the body under the Christmas tree (without setting her down in the entry).

He just puts JBR's body in front of the tree and he says Patsy's at the back of the house when she's in a room a few feet away. The phrase "at the back of the house" implies distance from where the person who made the comment is located; otherwise, he'd say, "I was at the back of the house and Patsy was in the next room."

The solarium had 4 chairs each facing each other. 2 of those had high backs that you could disappear into. This was a relatively small room and TVs weren't flat screens and mounted on walls at the time. So I ask you, where did they put the TV? One wall was the entry to the living room. One wall had a doorway to the dining room with french doors. Another wall had an exit to the house and a line of windows. And one wall had the same type of windows that almost covered the entire wall.

I believe that when John was talking about the TV room, he was referring to the kids play room. Half of that room had the play area and the other half had a sofa facing a TV. That would be on the 2nd floor behind Burke's and JAR's room (at the back of the original house).

I admit that I can be absolutely wrong about the sunroom not being a TV room, but in this case you would have 2 chairs facing a TV in a relatively small room. With a family of not just 4 but 6, you'd have 2 high-back (kind of formal) chairs facing a TV. The solarium was also next to the formal dining room and the living room. Patsy loved formal entertaining. Unless you can point me to some evidence, I don't believe that the solarium (sunroom) was a TV room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member