SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some thing that I haven’t seen come up is whether MM was a partner at the firm and what value was that.

Jmo
I don't think MM was an attorney; can a non-attorney be a partner at a law firm? I almost asked if that is a normal thing to do (have non-attorney partners), but then realized nothing they do is normal.

I don't think MM was an attorney; can a non-attorney be a partner at a law firm? I almost asked if that is a normal thing to do (have non-attorney partners), but then realized nothing they do is normal.

Early on iirc along with her supposedly seeing divorce atty that she had asked for a financial audit at pmped.

Jmo

The only reason in my mind is taking MM’s sister’s name off as executor is it keeps outsiders from seeing the Will.

Jmo
It may have been to spare her sister. Can you imagine being responsible for fighting w/ a slew of Murdoughs to settle a will. Not to mention potential physical danger. Though I doubt MM thought the clan would hurt their own.

That of couse assumes that MM actually made that change at all. We’ll never know how much she already knew vs what AM was afraid she’d find out. But it’s likely her last few months were one bad shock after another. JMO

The S.C. Supreme Court’s chief justice reassigned a Columbia judge to oversee a swath of charges accusing Alex Murdaugh of financial crimes — the latest unexplained judicial switch from the high court.

On Wednesday, Chief Justice Donald Beatty backtracked on a previous order assigning a Greenville judge to oversee 21 indicted charges brought by the state grand jury against suspended lawyer Murdaugh in December.

Now, Judge Clifton Newman will oversee those cases, according to the order.

https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article257769593.html

Currently, Murdaugh is facing 74 criminal charges, with 71 coming from the state grand jury accusing him of a stealing $8,875,944.45 from clients, associates and his law firm, and three charges from a Hampton County grand jury in his alleged botched murder-for-hire scheme.

What dictates the switching and reassignment of work loads like this? Is this commonly done or do you suppose it could indicate the uncovering of information in the investigation that indicates compromising circumstances in some judicial districts.MOO MOO MOO MOO

I read your post and thought it so odd she would leave her property to her father in law (not her kids, siblings, etc..). Then to open the link and read this is really head scratching:

Excerpt:

The document, signed in 2005, listed Maggie's sister as the executor of her estate but her name was crossed out. Handwritten above it, the name of her father-in-law, Randolph Murdaugh, who died of natural causes back in June.

Right. Handwritten notes, natural causes.

AM’s wife MM supposedly sees a divorce lawyer and asks for a financial audit of the Murdaugh law firm PMPED.

AM’s son PM is on the hook for driving a boat while drunk, and causing the death of one of his boat passengers, with a big lawsuit coming his way.

AM’s father dies of “natural causes,” just in the nick of time, leaving MM’s estate to be handled by a Murdaugh lawyer. (Still at the P(i)MPED law firm? Sorry, couldn’t help myself.)

AM’s housekeeper dies in the hospital after an “accidental fall” at the AM home and a weeks long hospital stay, with millions siphoned off from her “accidental” death lawsuit.

AM’s client victim HP dies when his ventilator is “accidentally” unplugged, and has at least a million dollars siphoned off from two lawsuits (car accident that put him on the ventilator and a wrongful death).

Another six (at this time) of AM’s clients victims are also out millions of dollars.

Seems people die when AM and money are involved.

IMO

MURDAUGHS
In 1993, Alex Started A Brawl At A Strip Club … Then Deputies Drove Him Home, Documents Show

https://www.fitsnews.com/2022/02/02...-then-deputies-drove-him-home-documents-show/

In the early morning of Feb. 28, 1993, Alex Murdaugh, now 53, was accused of starting a violent brawl at a strip club on Hilton Head Island.

At least two men were injured in the fight.

Three men were charged with Public Disorderly Conduct.

Alex, who was 25 at the time and enrolled at University of South Carolina School of Law, was one of them.

One of the three men was taken to jail.

The other was allowed to go to the hospital, where a law enforcement officer was awaiting his arrival.

Alex, on the other hand, was driven home to Varnville — a full hour and 20 minutes away from Hilton Head — by a deputy.

Alex and the other two men charged that night were scheduled for a hearing on March 29, 1993. The report does not include copies of the tickets that were issued nor does it note the outcomes of the cases.

A background check done on Alex Murdaugh through Nexis noted that the charge was dismissed on March 25, 1993.

Murdaugh graduated from law school just over a year later and was admitted into the South Carolina Bar Association in November 1994.

I read your post and thought it so odd she would leave her property to her father in law (not her kids, siblings, etc..). Then to open the link and read this is really head scratching:

Excerpt:

The document, signed in 2005, listed Maggie's sister as the executor of her estate but her name was crossed out. Handwritten above it, the name of her father-in-law, Randolph Murdaugh, who died of natural causes back in June.

Oh yeah that's not sketchy at all. Sounds like something a guy who names his fake company Forge would do.

it is a good recap, and some interesting history on the dynasty. But nothing really that now at the most interesting part of that article, was the fact that reporters reached out to so many different people, family members, friends, Stephen Smith's mother, and not a single one would agree to talk to them.

Reporters made multiple attempts to interview members of the Murdaugh family, including through spokespeople for the family law firm and a public relations firm that has released statements on behalf of the family. They also made multiple attempts to contact Cory Fleming, who never responded to inquiries. Reporters spoke to multiple people who knew the family, personally or professionally, all of whom declined to be interviewed for this story.

It speaks volumes to me, but I'm not exactly sure what it is saying. Either people are still very afraid of their level of influence, or they want to stay away from this house of cards that has crumbled.

it is a good recap, and some interesting history on the dynasty. But nothing really that now at the most interesting part of that article, was the fact that reporters reached out to so many different people, family members, friends, Stephen Smith's mother, and not a single one would agree to talk to them.

Reporters made multiple attempts to interview members of the Murdaugh family, including through spokespeople for the family law firm and a public relations firm that has released statements on behalf of the family. They also made multiple attempts to contact Cory Fleming, who never responded to inquiries. Reporters spoke to multiple people who knew the family, personally or professionally, all of whom declined to be interviewed for this story.

It speaks volumes to me, but I'm not exactly sure what it is saying. Either people are still very afraid of their level of influence, or they want to stay away from this house of cards that has crumbled.
RBBM - Wow, I am in total agreement and also at a loss for answers - or even good questions. Is it fear?

While conducting research for a family member’s (unrelated!) case in another small county in SC, I came across a personal injury case on the docket that was originally filed by AM (in 2018). The motions were rather fascinating and, like Kittybunny said in their post, I think the motions say a lot, but I’m not sure what exactly that is. Regardless, I get a very smarmy vibe about the validity of the case from reading the filings/motions. :confused:

As of Jan. 31, Murdaugh is facing 71 criminal charges from S.C. State Grand Jury indictments in November, December and January, following three initial charges from local indictments by a Hampton County Grand Jury.

If the maximum prison sentences for all of Murdaugh's criminal charges were added consecutively, it would equal more than seven centuries of incarceration, if he were found guilty of all charges.

"This would be a grand total of 74 counts for a maximum potential term of incarceration of 731 years, notwithstanding potential sentencing enhancements," said Robert Kittle, spokesperson for the South Carolina Attorney General's Office.

Alex Murdaugh's 74 criminal charges add up, in theory, to 731 years of incarceration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz