SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Victims seek judgement in civil case as Alex Murdaugh, Russell Laffitte await what's next

<snipped>

Michael M. DeWitt, Jr., Greenville News
Tue, November 29, 2022, 10:23 AM

A snapshot of the guilty verdict delivered by a federal jury against former Hampton banker Russell Laffitte Nov. 22.

A snapshot of the guilty verdict delivered by a federal jury against former Hampton banker Russell Laffitte Nov. 22.
Just one day after Richard "Alex" Murdaugh co-conspirator Russell Lucius Laffitte's guilty verdict in federal criminal court, attorneys for two of Laffitte's victims filed a motion asking the state civil courts to hasten judgement on their behalf.
Laffitte, the former Palmetto State Bank CEO, was found guilty Nov. 22 on six federal criminal charges that he conspired with Murdaugh, the disbarred and disgraced former Hampton attorney, to steal or misuse funds while acting as a conservator for several of Murdaugh's personal injury or wrongful death cases.
Two of the alleged victims of Laffitte and Murdaugh, HP and AS filed a civil suit Aug. 24, seeking damages in the Hampton County Court of Common Pleas against Laffitte and his former bank, which was founded by and remains controlled by his family.
On Nov. 23, Bland Richter LLP, attorneys for Plyler and Spohn, filed a motion for partial summary judgement against Laffitte and the bank, asking the courts to hasten judgement on their behalf in light of the guilty verdicts, along with testimony and evidence brought forth during Laffitte's trail.
"On behalf of the Plylers, our other clients and the other victims of Russell Laffitte and Palmetto State Bank, we applaud the wisdom of the jury to see through the confusion that the defense tried to create, as well as the courage of the jury to remind those in power to watch the hell out," attorney Eric Bland said in a news release emailed last week.

The shirt was curious to me and sadly raised some doubt about AM being the suspect. The only thing that could explain why the shirt didn’t have visible blood spatter would be if he was wearing something over it, a rain coat, jacket, etc and he then somehow disposed of it. I get how rubbing his face would create the pattern at the bottom of the shirt. IMO

<snipped> BBM Dog Kennel Focus

On Nov. 23, Murdaugh's attorneys filed a 95-page "Motion to Exclude False Testimony About Evidence Destroyed By The State." This motion accuses the Attorney General's Office of withholding or destroying evidence "in bad faith" that would exonerate Murdaugh in the double murders, and of presenting "manipulated opinion testimony."

Here are some highlights of claims from the extensive legal filing:

• The murder scene was "gruesome" with "a large amount of blood in and around their bodies which transferred onto Mr. Murdaugh's hands and clothing when he frantically checked them for signs of life," stated the motion.
  • The motion states that Paul Murdaugh was killed by multiple 12-gauge shotgun blasts at "point-blank range in a small closet," a feed closet in the dog kennels. That is information that authorities have not released or confirmed. Murdaugh's attorneys further contend that blood was spattered all over the closet door, walls and ceiling but that there were no blood spatters on Murdaugh's shirt.

Murdaugh murders trial: Attorneys allege altered photos, destroyed evidence, bad testimony

The shirt was curious to me and sadly raised some doubt about AM being the suspect. The only thing that could explain why the shirt didn’t have visible blood spatter would be if he was wearing something over it, a rain coat, jacket, etc and he then somehow disposed of it. I get how rubbing his face would create the pattern at the bottom of the shirt. IMO
AM had access to the home, he could have changed clothes easily before he left to check on Momma M and disposed of it anywhere. MOO

‘Murdaugh Murders’ Saga: Alex Murdaugh Offered Plea Deal, Sources Say​

Prosecutors in the office of South Carolina attorney general Alan Wilson reportedly extended a plea offer to disbarred attorney/ accused killer Alex Murdaugh just prior to the Thanksgiving holiday, multiple sources familiar with the negotiations have confirmed to this news outlet.

The deal? Thirty years … on all counts.

This sentence – which Murdaugh would have been required to serve in its entirety – would have covered the two graphic murders Murdaugh is accused of committing.

Last edited:

‘Murdaugh Murders’ Saga: Alex Murdaugh Offered Plea Deal, Sources Say​

Prosecutors in the office of South Carolina attorney general Alan Wilson reportedly extended a plea offer to disbarred attorney/ accused killer Alex Murdaugh just prior to the Thanksgiving holiday, multiple sources familiar with the negotiations have confirmed to this news outlet.

The deal? Thirty years … on all counts.

This sentence – which Murdaugh would have been required to serve in its entirety – would have covered the two graphic murders Murdaugh is accused of committing.

MMs family must be ready for this to end if they agreed to a deal and jmo I can’t say I’d blame them. At any rate, 30 years will be the end of his road or close.

AM had access to the home, he could have changed clothes easily before he left to check on Momma M and disposed of it anywhere. MOO

The blue raincoat?

According to our sources, this witness saw Alex “hide something wrapped in a blue tarp behind (his parents) house” upon arriving from Moselle. Another source referred to the blue tarp as a “rain slicker” – or rain jacket – but confirmed “it was blue.”

“It ended up being a rain jacket the witness thought was a tarp,” the source said.

Whatever the blue water resistant item was, “there was significant GSR (gunshot residue) on it,” one of our sources said.

<snipped>

Former South Carolina attorney Alex Murdaugh, who stands accused of killing his wife and son, has asked the judge presiding over the murder trial to allow him to appear in the courtroom without being shackled.

Attorneys for Murdaugh argued in a motion filed in state court on Wednesday that authorities should be forced to unshackle him in any court proceedings where news cameras are present.

But Murdaugh's attorneys note that murder defendants are typically shackled during pretrial hearings when a jury has not yet been chosen.

Jury selection for the Murdaugh murder trial is not expected to begin until Jan. 23, but his attorneys contend that he should not have to wear shackles during any pretrial hearings because of the intense media interest around the case.

"Most murder defendants do not have TV crews filming every pretrial hearing," defense attorneys wrote, arguing such images could prejudice the minds of potential jurors.

"The issue is how the Court allows the defendant in this case to be displayed to the jury pool in advance of jury selection," they added.

Alex Murdaugh, The Prominent Attorney Accused Of Killing His Wife And Son, Doesn't Want To Wear Shackles In Court

<snipped>

Former South Carolina attorney Alex Murdaugh, who stands accused of killing his wife and son, has asked the judge presiding over the murder trial to allow him to appear in the courtroom without being shackled.

Attorneys for Murdaugh argued in a motion filed in state court on Wednesday that authorities should be forced to unshackle him in any court proceedings where news cameras are present.

But Murdaugh's attorneys note that murder defendants are typically shackled during pretrial hearings when a jury has not yet been chosen.

Jury selection for the Murdaugh murder trial is not expected to begin until Jan. 23, but his attorneys contend that he should not have to wear shackles during any pretrial hearings because of the intense media interest around the case.

"Most murder defendants do not have TV crews filming every pretrial hearing," defense attorneys wrote, arguing such images could prejudice the minds of potential jurors.

"The issue is how the Court allows the defendant in this case to be displayed to the jury pool in advance of jury selection," they added.

Alex Murdaugh, The Prominent Attorney Accused Of Killing His Wife And Son, Doesn't Want To Wear Shackles In Court

Everything that we see happening with this case right now is for “the jury pool in advance of jury selection”. Both sides have been playing that since the arrest.

I don't know if I believe the accuracy of the alleged Plea Offer. I've read several other sources that cannot be linked here that it isn't true that the State is negotiating.

I'm not saying the Feds might want to combine and/or reduce some charges, but I think the State is going to go for a trial.

I certainly hope they do, Maggie & Paul deserve justice. The Satterfield Family, The Beach Family, The Smith Family and dozens of other victims deserve justice instead of some back room political shenanigans that ends up with AM getting a sweet deal in club Fed.

MOO

Here are some highlights of claims from the extensive legal filing:

The murder scene was "gruesome" with "a large amount of blood in and around their bodies which transferred onto Mr. Murdaugh's hands and clothing when he frantically checked them for signs of life," stated the motion.
The motion states that Paul Murdaugh was killed by multiple 12-gauge shotgun blasts at "point-blank range in a small closet," a feed closet in the dog kennels. That is information that authorities have not released or confirmed. Murdaugh's attorneys further contend that blood was spattered all over the closet door, walls and ceiling but that there were no blood spatters on Murdaugh's shirt.
After calling 911, Alex Murdaugh drove back to his house to get a shotgun for protection, then returned to the crime scene to wait for police.
The motion alleges that SLED conducted blood tests on the shirt in a manner that destroyed it and prevents others from taking further, independent tests.
The motion alleges that SLED never told Bevel there were no bloodstains on the shirt, and pressured him to change his report.

There was DNA found on items of evidence tested that came from three unidentified, unrelated individuals.
DNA swabs were taken from fingernail clippings of the victims, two vehicles, a cell phone, a Palmetto State Armory PA-15 rifle with night vision scope, a Mossberg Model 835 Ulti-Mag shotgun, a Browning Auto-5 Light Vector shogun, a Benelli Super Black Eagle 3 shotgun, several shotgun shells, as well as Murdaugh's shirt, shoes, green shorts, and a raincoat inside the residence.

The motion alleges that SLED conducted blood tests on the shirt in a manner that destroyed it and prevents others from taking further, independent tests.
Snipped for focus. This doesn't read the same as consumptive testing but isn't this usually addressed prior to testing if it will in fact prevent additional parties to test?

Snipped for focus. This doesn't read the same as consumptive testing but isn't this usually addressed prior to testing if it will in fact prevent additional parties to test?
You're right, consumptive testing is when testing the sample will degrade or destroy the evidence for further evaluation. Both sides usually have to agree to consumptive testing if the sample will be lost.

I think the State is saying that is was human error, and Defense is saying maybe human error, more likely bad faith. I think the Judge will have to rule on this testing and evidence.

JMO

You're right, consumptive testing is when testing the sample will degrade or destroy the evidence for further evaluation. Both sides usually have to agree to consumptive testing if the sample will be lost.

I think the State is saying that is was human error, and Defense is saying maybe human error, more likely bad faith. I think the Judge will have to rule on this testing and evidence.

JMO

This could create a lot of problems for the state. This is without a doubt a key piece of evidence. Blood on a shirt and spatter on a shirt tell a completely different story

I am sure the lawyers cherry-picked the photos they wanted to show, but the appearance of the shirt was far less impressive than I had expected.

Although the filing suggests SLED intentionally destroyed the garment, it seems somewhat probable that someone friendly to AM may have allowed the evidence to be destroyed.

I was also unimpressed with the "expert". There were a few grammatical errors in his report, but what bothered me most about his report was the use of the term "bullet". I would expect an expert to use more technical terms such as "casing" or "projectile" to describe findings.

My gut feeling is that the shirt will be excluded.
I certainly hope that the shirt is included.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaEvans52