SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless of the smoke that’s getting blown I think AMs phone and car will tell the tale if he was dumb enough to have both there when the murders happened. He obviously made the call from his phone and states up front that he’s “been gone”. I don’t think his lawyers have attacked either of those yet and probably with good reason.

As much as it emotionally pains me, I fear AM will be acquitted. DH and JG May SEEM like buffoons, I assure you, they aren’t. Both know the SC system inside and out and know how to maneuver it. Potential Jurors, unless they are without electricity, know the Murdaughs and how far those tentacles stretch.

As much as it emotionally pains me, I fear AM will be acquitted. DH and JG May SEEM like buffoons, I assure you, they aren’t. Both know the SC system inside and out and know how to maneuver it. Potential Jurors, unless they are without electricity, know the Murdaughs and how far those tentacles stretch.
I don't know how many counts or which ones, but I feel confident that AM will be convicted of enough counts to keep him in prison for a very, very long time. JMO.

Mandy Matney
@MandyMatney
7m
Update: SC Attorney General Alan Wilson's office responded to Alex Murdaugh's motion to unshackle him in court. "The State would leave matters of security in the sound judgement of this Court as informed by the police officers responsible for the safety in courtroom."
Why is it that H & G keep pushing for extra privileges for this inmate?? He should be treated like any other criminal. It's common procedure to shackle inmates during hearings, but not in front of the jury during trial.

He doesn't deserve one extra iota of privilege, goodness knows he's benefited from it for far too long.

MOO

Lawyers for accused double murderer Alex Murdaugh filed a new motion Tuesday asking a state judge to order prosecutors to reveal what they believe is the disgraced attorney’s motive for killing his wife and son. The motion, filed in state court in Colleton County, says that the defense is entitled to a “bill of particulars” from the state setting forth the reasons it believes Murdaugh killed his wife, Maggie, and youngest son, Paul, in June 2021. Knowing the purported motive would enable defense lawyers “to identify relevant inculpatory or exculpatory evidence in advance of trial,” the defense’s 10-page motion says.

Murdaugh's defense wants prosecutors to give itemized breakdown of how 1.2 million documents re: financial crimes establish motive for the murders. "The degree of discovery available demands some guidance from the State as to relevance."

Read more at: https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article269686771.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited:
Lawyers for accused double murderer Alex Murdaugh filed a new motion Tuesday asking a state judge to order prosecutors to reveal what they believe is the disgraced attorney’s motive for killing his wife and son. The motion, filed in state court in Colleton County, says that the defense is entitled to a “bill of particulars” from the state setting forth the reasons it believes Murdaugh killed his wife, Maggie, and youngest son, Paul, in June 2021. Knowing the purported motive would enable defense lawyers “to identify relevant inculpatory or exculpatory evidence in advance of trial,” the defense’s 10-page motion says.

Murdaugh's defense wants prosecutors to give itemized breakdown of how 1.2 million documents re: financial crimes establish motive for the murders. "The degree of discovery available demands some guidance from the State as to relevance."

Read more at: https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article269686771.html#storylink=cpy
Um, is the defense asking the judge for the cliff notes?

A third grader could pick out motive here.

JMO

What kind of asinine order is this? The State doesn't have to supply a motive. This is turning into even more of a circus than I thought it would be.

Motive pick one: Divorce, His Fraud and Embezzlement, MM requesting a financial accounting, the Beach lawsuit, the Satterfield lawsuit.

MOO

Maybe Harpoot wants the State to just give him every single thing he wants on a silver platter. It's beyond ridiculous at this point and I hope Judge Newman shoots this down.

Couple thoughts here [BBM]:
1… interesting that Maggie went to “run the dogs” when she had reluctantly agreed to come over that night to go see Grandpa M, who we know had gone into hospice that day (Per PMPED CFO testimony). She was probably told it would be her chance to say goodbye.

2… Alec allegedly falls asleep on couch when he had asked MM to join him at Moselle that night so they could go visit Grandpa.

3… Alec went to check on his mother when he had told MM he wanted her to go with him to see his father.

4… when Alec arrives home after 10p why does he go directly to kennels instead of house?

5… when Alec was making all those phone calls going to and from Almeda, wonder why he didn’t try to call Maggie and Paul again since he hadn’t reached them earlier?
—v-v-v—

After dinner, Maggie went to the kennels to “run the dogs,” and Paul went outside – but Alex did not know where he went, per Griffin. At this point, Griffin claimed Alex fell asleep on the couch [BBM] at Moselle and woke up around 9:00 p.m. EDT – at which point [Alec] decided he wanted to check on his mother in Almeda. [BBM] Griffin claimed Alex, upon awaking, called both Maggie and Paul on their cell phones but neither of them answered.

Shortly after 9:00 p.m. EDT, Murdaugh texted his wife that he would “be right back.” At 9:06 p.m. EDT, he left the property.

Upon his return, Griffin said Murdaugh went to the kennels [BBM] – which is where he discovered the bodies of his family members.

https://www.fitsnews.com/2022/12/05/his-head-exploded-like-a-watermelon-new-details-from-graphic-murdaugh-murders-crime-scene/

Perhaps P&H want to keep prosecutors so busy with refuting ridiculous motions so they don’t have as much time to work on their case.

Couple thoughts here [BBM]:
1… interesting that Maggie went to “run the dogs” when she had reluctantly agreed to come over that night to go see Grandpa M, who we know had gone into hospice that day (Per PMPED CFO testimony). She was probably told it would be her chance to say goodbye.

2… Alec allegedly falls asleep on couch when he had asked MM to join him at Moselle that night so they could go visit Grandpa.

3… Alec went to check on his mother when he had told MM he wanted her to go with him to see his father.

4… when Alec arrives home after 10p why does he go directly to kennels instead of house?

5… when Alec was making all those phone calls going to and from Almeda, wonder why he didn’t try to call Maggie and Paul again since he hadn’t reached them earlier?
—v-v-v—

After dinner, Maggie went to the kennels to “run the dogs,” and Paul went outside – but Alex did not know where he went, per Griffin. At this point, Griffin claimed Alex fell asleep on the couch [BBM] at Moselle and woke up around 9:00 p.m. EDT – at which point [Alec] decided he wanted to check on his mother in Almeda. [BBM] Griffin claimed Alex, upon awaking, called both Maggie and Paul on their cell phones but neither of them answered.

Shortly after 9:00 p.m. EDT, Murdaugh texted his wife that he would “be right back.” At 9:06 p.m. EDT, he left the property.

Upon his return, Griffin said Murdaugh went to the kennels [BBM] – which is where he discovered the bodies of his family members.

https://www.fitsnews.com/2022/12/05/his-head-exploded-like-a-watermelon-new-details-from-graphic-murdaugh-murders-crime-scene/
This just hit me.

WHY did Alec go back????? Why didn't he call it a night and let someone else discover the bodies the next day, while he was miles away sipping the sweet tea of his manufactured alibi?

I think he must have realized he'd made a big miscalculation, one so glaring he had to go back to remedy it, and maybe decided to switch things up and be the discoverer.

How DID he know to go straight to the scene?

(Was the thing he forgot her phone? Did he come back, retrieve it, drive it a ways and pitch it before calling 911?)

Again, I ask, why did he set his own sorry self up to be the last person to see them and the first person to find them? Why, just why? Worst alibi-building ever.

JMO

This just hit me.

WHY did Alec go back????? Why didn't he call it a night and let someone else discover the bodies the next day, while he was miles away sipping the sweet tea of his manufactured alibi?

I think he must have realized he'd made a big miscalculation, one so glaring he had to go back to remedy it, and maybe decided to switch things up and be the discoverer.

How DID he know to go straight to the scene?

(Was the thing he forgot her phone? Did he come back, retrieve it, drive it a ways and pitch it before calling 911?)

Again, I ask, why did he set his own sorry self up to be the last person to see them and the first person to find them? Why, just why? Worst alibi-building ever.

JMO
Good questions! Or he just thought he’d get away with it? Or he wasn’t able to get away quick enough where he knew he’d be suspected?

No doubt Defense will argue evidentiary reasons the trial date cannot be met and blame the State.
Ahhhh, yes.

According to the motion (.pdf), Griffin and Harpootlian are seeking this information so they can “adequately prepare a defense and … avoid unnecessarily extending the trial by weeks.”

Assuming they are able to prove Murdaugh’s guilt beyond a reasonable doubt based on the evidence … do prosecutors need to supply a motive for the commission of these crimes?

No … but according to Harpootlian and Griffin, the state has claimed the murder charges are “inextricably intertwined” with a deluge of financial charges filed against Murdaugh related to his alleged fleecing of his former clients at the Peters, Murdaugh, Parker, Eltzroth & Detrick, P.A. (PMPED) law firm…

“Until now, this state has never had a prosecution in which millions of pages of documents purportedly supporting over eighty counts of various financial crimes allegedly committed by the defendant are declared to be, in some vague way ‘inextricably intertwined’ with murder charges against the same defendant,” Harpootlian and Griffin wrote in the filing. “If the defense must wait until trial to discover what (if anything) that means, the result will be an extension of (the) trial by weeks and continuances within the trial, while defense counsel review documents and make motions.”…

(More including the Defense attack on the blood spatter. Motion in article)

"Your Honor, our client has so many charges against him, it would cause a trial delay if we have to read them all. Can you make the Prosecution dummy it down for us, maybe make us a small flipbook?"

You take on the case, you take it on.

Looking forward to DENIED.

JMO

"Your Honor, our client has so many charges against him, it would cause a trial delay if we have to read them all. Can you make the Prosecution dummy it down for us, maybe make us a small flipbook?"

You take on the case, you take it on.

Looking forward to DENIED.

JMO
Hah, yes....Your Honor we really need the Cliff Notes version, we're really busy here. Thanks.

What kind of asinine order is this? The State doesn't have to supply a motive. This is turning into even more of a circus than I thought it would be.

Motive pick one: Divorce, His Fraud and Embezzlement, MM requesting a financial accounting, the Beach lawsuit, the Satterfield lawsuit.

MOO
Laughing at the recent defense motion.... Harpootlian and Griffin, imo, will present a mountain of motions and create much legal ruckus in the weeks ahead. Defense attorneys delight in wearing down prosecution, don't they? ;) AM is probably loving it. More noise to follow I am opining.

While watching a replay of the Dateline episode about the murder of Kate Waring in Charleston, I can’t help but to notice how this perhaps unintentionally is a glowing example of the good boy system at work in SC. The victim happened to be from a wealthy/powerful family and just watching how phone calls from other powerful people and money to hire a team of private I’s jumpstarted the motions of justice in the case was pretty evident of how law work$ here.

Been following this case for a long time but just found this thread. His defense is playing their case out in the court of public sympathy hoping to sway jurors. My sympathy is with the families of the murdered loved ones and all the victims he stole millions of dollars from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member