SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
SS death july 8 2015

AM gifts moselle to MM December 2016

GS death feb 26 2018

Hampton home sold 2019?

Maggie fb post move to edisto july 2020

Moseley had helped construct Alex Murdaugh’s house on Holly Street in Hampton, which was sold last April.

Rumors swirl about double homicide involving SC law family. Some details begin to emerge.

"Maggie fb post move to edisto july 2020"

Sounds like there was already major trouble in paradise. Which begs the question: why was she at Moselle's kennels around 9-10pm on June 7 2021? Was she lured there by AM? Did PM hear his parents fighting and/or a gunshot and ran to the kennels? Hence, that might explain AM saying during his 911 call that night, "Paul, why'd you have to get involved?"

Something very wrong with AM's story.

I agree with you; & we seem to be in the minority. I still think 5his was about protecting someone from potential legal liability since Paul was to plead guilty & .everyone and their brother was going to lie about what they heard what they saw. Think it was retaliation, revenge, settling the score
I still don’t think the murders had anything to do with life insurance/receiving a payout. I think it was all about the boating death (for PM) and the firm fraud (for MM getting close to finding out). Or a combo, or one or the other. Still on the fence regarding SS death. It’s possible one of them was in the wrong place at the wrong time, but if anyone, that’d be MM. But really, I think this has to do with PM boating incident payback and AM bad behavior punishment. So I think someone wanted PM and AM to “pay”, so they shot PM and MM. Maybe they didn’t want to shoot AM because they wanted to keep the money train going (cash fraud, drugs, pay-offs, fixes, who knows what else). AM is worth more on a continuing basis alive versus dead. Although I understand, if true, why he might want to die and give BM $10M. It’s all just very nuts. I am not convinced yet that AM arranged to have his wife and/or son killed.

"Video cameras from St. John’s Baptist Church, just a few hundred yards from the scene, could reveal more about the incident. According to NBC News, the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division has now obtained that video footage, but the agency has not said what, if anything, is on it."

Alex Murdaugh attorney doubles down: Shooting wasn’t self-inflicted | WSAV-TV

old article but that's about as specific as i can find on the church cameras...
That's basically what the CNN guy said this morning. He did say that more than one were pointing at the shooting and one was pointing in the opposite direction at the parking lot

Last edited:
Why do you think he'd be bad at it?
I think he reads comments here and everywhere and that's why answers have changed over time a bit. Like from changing a tire to checking the tire. He says something publicly and see how people react and if it is clear enough that something can not be true he changes the story.

"No minimum sentence"
Funny how that works.
Embezzling millions doesn't get near the time of stealing a few hundred.

Probation for $43 million
Four Beaumont officials plead guilty in $43 million embezzlement case

Embezzlers often avoid prison time

About one third of the 44 cases – 13 are still pending – prosecuted by the Eagle County District Attorney’s Office from 2001 to 2003 received some jail time, from 2 days to 90 days. Only one defendant was sent to prison. But all of the embezzlers were ordered to pay restitution to the victims.

Most of the embezzlers were also sentenced to probation, community service and deferred judgements.

For example, Javier Vargas got 15 days in jail, 40 hours of community service and 3 years of probation for stealing $855. But Kaffka didn’t get any jail time for stealing more than $2 million – $1.5 million of which she has already returned. She was sentenced to 20 years of probation, community service and ordered to pay restitution.

The problem in America is that most thieves don't steal big enough - white collar crime does indeed pay handsomely.

What are the chances that AM turns and becomes State’s witness and sings like a canary to keep himself out of jail? I just don’t see how he can get out of being charged with at least one murder at Moselle though. (No threat to the public, no searches for a perpetrator, shotgun belonged to Ms)

I think it's time to tell y'all a story.

I live in a sleepy little Southern town, that in some ways, I suppose, isn't too different from Hampton. It's about 4 times the size of Hampton, but still not too large to prevent most of us from knowing each other's business. I grew up here, although I moved away to go to college, and it was even more intimate, back then in the 60s and 70s.

By the "accident of birth" I mentioned earlier, meaning where I grew up, a number of my neighbors and friends were well-connected in that group I also mentioned earlier. They were our equivalents of the Murdaughs and Harpootlians (although not as vile). And because I was an engaging and active teenager, I was invited into the junior rank of that organization. And I must say, that they were a fun bunch. The drink always flowed freely, even (or perhaps especially) when inappropriate; they had all the right connections, and got all of the breaks in life. But, fortunately, I got out, when it dawned on me just how things work with them. I wouldn't have done well; I abhor corruption and cronyism.

We moved away from this town in 1978. The following events took place shortly afterward.

There was a man who served as the district attorney here. I didn't know him well, but my parents did. He was a pleasant sort, and in fact helped my parents out of a little jam that they wouldn't have been able to resolve without him speaking to the right person. But he was a member of that organization, as was our local sheriff (I referenced him in previous posts on another thread, in regards to narcotics smuggling and unsolved murders). It was something that one simply had to do, to attain elective office here, back then.

Now, as a member of that group, he was expected to serve their interests...meaning, that when the interests of that group conflicted with justice, the group was meant to prevail. So, from time to time, someone from the group would instruct him on how a trial should go.

Now, not long after we moved away, there was a trial, and he was told what the verdict should be. But the opposite happened. The group was angered.

Shortly after the conclusion of the trial, his teenage daughter was raped, by an unknown assailant. The group had sent the D.A. a message: Don't let that happen again. And though he may not have known who committed the crime, he would have known who ordered it up, and why. And so would the sheriff.

I was acquainted with that girl, but only vaguely. My sister knew her better; they both took dance lessons at the same studio. The girl was no Timmy; she was nice, and very proper, and I assure you, quite innocent.

But though innocent, she was no dunce. She knew why she had been raped. To be raped is bad enough; to know that she was raped, because of the actions (or, perhaps, inaction) of her father, and that her D.A. father and the local sheriff could have pursued a prosecution of the rapist, and refused to, was more than she could bear.

After struggling with this issue for a while, she committed suicide. It was a small-town tragedy that cast a dark and painful shadow over a lot of hearts.

Plombo o plata, as it is said in Mexico. Lead or Silver. It's your choice. You can have all of the Silver you want, if you play the corruption game correctly, which means discreetly. But if you mess up, you get Lead.

So, I'm going top speculate again, and again, I'm going to assert that this is informed speculation, because I know how that group works.

When Maggie and Paul were murdered, the Plombo o Plata explanation lurked dimly in the back of my mind, as a possibility. Now, in light of recent events, and from what little news has trickled out of the investigations, I find this explanation the most likely. I think AM was being sent a message.

You messed up, Alex. You had it all, but you messed up. You and Timmy got careless. Now, there is public scrutiny. Soon you will head into court, not as an attorney, but as a witness and as a defendant, and you had better keep your damn mouth shut....because there is plenty more where this came from.

I suspect that, as Alex stood there, gazing at the bodies of his wife and son on the ground at the kennel, he didn't know who had killed them, but he would have known why they were killed, and probably, who ordered up the murders.

Shut up. Zip that lip. Don't make us come to Islandton again.

So Dick Harpootlian was brought in to manage the crisis, to put a lid on, to shut out the light. I think the story about oxycodone addiction was concocted, or at least exaggerated, so that he could be whisked away to some private treatment clinic, where, presumably, his conversations would be privileged by HIPAA laws.

Again, this is just speculation, but it makes the most sense to me.

I really hope that Mr. Keel succeeds, that his investigations go where they should go, and uncover what they should uncover. But I won't hold my breath. Because I know how that group works.

Wow, what a fine, insightful post. While I may not agree that MM and PM were killed as a warning to AM, you do indeed understand the too-often ugly, brutal dynamics of power at the top. Power protects power.

I agree with you; & we seem to be in the minority. I still think 5his was about protecting someone from potential legal liability since Paul was to plead guilty & .everyone and their brother was going to lie about what they heard what they saw. Think it was retaliation, revenge, settling the score

This is completely my opinion and conjecture, so take it for what it’s worth…the rumor is that Paul was shot first, and was tortured before his death. If that is true, it seems revenge was involved. However, I have read that investigators believe the crime scene may have been manipulated. It makes me wonder if perhaps it was made to look like a revenge killing in an effort to steer investigators away from the true motive. MOO

https://www.fitsnews.com/2021/06/09/law-enforcement-sources-alex-murdaugh-person-of-interest-in-south-carolina-double-homicide-investigation/

The shooting took place just seven miles from Murdaugh’s “Moselle” hunting lodge – where a brutal double homicide took place just three months earlier. Murdaugh, incidentally, remains a ‘person of interest’ in connection with that shooting, which claimed the lives of his wife, 52-year-old Maggie Murdaugh, and the couple’s youngest son, 22-year-old Paul Murdaugh.

Murdaugh Murders Saga: Unpacking The Alex Murdaugh Bond Hearing

“I was set up to be the fall guy,” Smith told Dana Kennedy of The New York Post. “And those damn pictures of me in the newspaper! I was looking at them this morning. They didn’t let me take a damn shower!”

Accused Alex Murdaugh shooter says he was set up by prominent lawyer

Smith said he was set up by Alex to make it look as if he shot him.

“I get a call from Alex that Saturday afternoon to come to where he was and I thought it was maybe to fix something,” Smith said, gesturing to a silver Chevy pickup he said was his work truck. “I had no idea what he wanted, I just went over there.”

Smith said he then drove over to the stretch of rural Old Salkehatchie Road and found Murdaugh in his car. He said Murdaugh then got out of his car brandishing a gun, and waving it around as if he might be about to shoot himself.

“I run over and we wrestled a minute together, me trying to get the gun away from him,” Smith said. “Then the gun kind of went off above his head and I got scared to death and I ran to my truck and took off.”

Smith said he took Murdaugh’s gun and threw it away. He did not say where.

“I wound up with the gun,” Smith said. “It was plain stupid, just plain stupid.”

When asked if any bullet actually struck or grazed Alex’s head, Smith shook his head.

“I don’t know,” he said. “I just got out of there.”

what on earth

I think it’s possible that trust in the Murdaughs could have taken care of some of these issues, rather than pay outs. (Oh you need not bother yourself with coming out for this, coroner.)

I am feeling very underinsured while following this case :eek:, but I suspect that many people only have the life insurance they get with their job. It doesn’t shock me that people with no income (MM and PM) would have no life insurance. I think of life insurance as protecting against loss of income. Moo
Hubby is retired and I am self employed. We both have a considerable amount of whole, term and AD&D insurance on us both. We also have life insurance on our son, DIL, grandkids, grand DIL and great grandkids. We only have one child but have grandkids and great grands, so we want to make sure our last expenses plus any debts we owe (CC, Cars ect) are all paid. Creditors can attach any property you own if you die owing them. Same with IRS and state liens for back taxes. I would not want to leave our son with that if we die. Everyone should have some life insurance no matter how old you are. With the crazy drivers and road rage, shooting ect these days you never know.

That is why I absolutely do not believe Dick Hootenanny when he says MM and PM did not have life insurance.

JMO

Accused Alex Murdaugh shooter says he was set up by prominent lawyer

Smith said he was set up by Alex to make it look as if he shot him.

“I get a call from Alex that Saturday afternoon to come to where he was and I thought it was maybe to fix something,” Smith said, gesturing to a silver Chevy pickup he said was his work truck. “I had no idea what he wanted, I just went over there.”

Smith said he then drove over to the stretch of rural Old Salkehatchie Road and found Murdaugh in his car. He said Murdaugh then got out of his car brandishing a gun, and waving it around as if he might be about to shoot himself.

“I run over and we wrestled a minute together, me trying to get the gun away from him,” Smith said. “Then the gun kind of went off above his head and I got scared to death and I ran to my truck and took off.”

Smith said he took Murdaugh’s gun and threw it away. He did not say where.

“I wound up with the gun,” Smith said. “It was plain stupid, just plain stupid.”

When asked if any bullet actually struck or grazed Alex’s head, Smith shook his head.

“I don’t know,” he said. “I just got out of there.”

I can't express how much I love the snarky writing style at FITS.

Wow. All that I can say is wow. This, if found to be true, is collusion at its finest and is likely not the first arrangement of this nature between AM, his “college roommate and best friend,” et al.

Boat passenger told attorneys he was scared of Murdaugh family’s influence, docs show
https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article253592859.html

From Connor Cook's deposition regarding 2019 fatal boat crash:

... Alex Murdaugh recommended an attorney, Corey Fleming, for Cook at the hospital, according to the deposition. Cook later hired attorney Sam Bauer before he was represented by his current attorney Joe McCulloch, according to his testimony. ...

Wow, the same attorney buddy AM recommended to the Satterfield family to handle their lawsuit / (still-unpaid) settlement.

Appears we have a Murdaugh pattern and practice of serial fraud and entrenched corruption.

Glad Connor did not take AM's generous offer.

what on earth
Accused Alex Murdaugh shooter says he was set up by prominent lawyer (nypost.com)

Despite his current predicament, “Fast Eddie” told The Post he doesn’t bear a grudge against Alex Murdaugh.

“I never had a reason not to like him before,” Curtis said. “I understand he’s in fight or flight mode and he wanted me to be the heavy weight in the water so he could fly.”

However, Curtis said Murdaugh should not mess with him further.

“I wouldn’t advise him to try to set me up,” Smith said. “I’d strongly advise him against that.”

BBM
Wow sounds like cousin Eddie knows a lot more than he is telling and is warning Alex not to cross him or he starts talking.

JMO

Mysteries follow death of Alex Murdaugh's housekeeper

Disgraced South Carolina legal scion Alex Murdaugh plotted with another lawyer to steal $4 million from the children of his longtime housekeeper, who mysteriously died at the attorney’s home in 2018, a lawyer representing her children claims.

“It’s hard to believe that one family can create this kind of turmoil, you know?” said Eric Bland about the mess he said was created for Gloria Satterfield’s family.

“Greed, power, betrayal. All the bad things. It’s like a Grisham novel. He doesn’t have to write fiction, he can just come to South Carolina and write the truth.”

Bland filed a suit against Murdaugh Wednesday on behalf of Satterfield’s sons, prompting officials to open an investigation into her death later that day.

Bland said that a lawyer for one of the defendants named in the lawsuit suit revealed the staggering sum Thursday.

--

That lawyer, unbeknownst to the Satterfield family, was Alex’s college roommate and best friend, Cory Fleming,
according to the suit. Murdaugh also allegedly appointed non-family member Chad Westendorf as the Satterfields’ personal representative in negotiations without the sons’ knowledge.

“You do that so you don’t have to keep the family informed of what’s going on,” Bland said.

“Settlements start happening. Nobody’s telling the family. They never found out. The only reason they found out is because of reporters… started digging [after son Paul Murdaugh was arrested for a 2019 deadly drunk boating accident],” the lawyer said.

“At the end of 2020 our clients said, ‘Wait a minute. Mom’s claim settled for $505,000? We didn’t get any of that money.'”

Bland said he learned on Thursday that multiple insurers actually paid out $4 million to Fleming, and his clients never saw a dime of it. He quickly sent a complaint to the state’s bar association, he said.

BBM

Bland said that a lawyer for one of the defendants named in the lawsuit suit revealed the staggering sum Thursday.
That lawyer, unbeknownst to the Satterfield family, was Alex’s college roommate and best friend, Cory Fleming,

Bland said he learned on Thursday that multiple insurers actually paid out $4 million to Fleming,

So that 4 million dollars settlement figure came from Fleming so it is probably accurate. IMO Fleming is fighting hard not to be disbarred himself so he is singing like a bird. Wonder what other under the table deals he knows and is going to tell about Alex?

JMO

Well yes but those numbers don't necessarily mean that most people are on pills. People who use and especially people who abuse drugs are on multiple different kinds and people who end up in the hospital due to overdose trends to be repeat offenders. It's like how the fact that most marriage ends in divorce is due to people who divorce getting divorced three, four, five times in their lives. The easy statistics to get very rarely prove what the source providing them intend for them to suggest. We live in a post-truth world.
I'm not saying that I have a reputable and definitive source suggesting that most wealthy people are on prescription drugs or that I am minimizing the seriousness of the prescription drug epidemic. Lots of middle class people are on prescription drugs but I have anecdotally noted that in addition to the poor, who are somewhat accurately stereotyped as being the primary victims of drug addiction, wealthy people are more likely to be addicted to medication than people in the middle class. It does seem like big pharma has done a lot in the last ten years to fill in the middle too though.
An older member of my close family (a retired 40 year elementary school teacher and church lady) very nearly died this summer as an indirect result of being on more prescription drugs than any of us were aware of. She has a small benign inner ear tumor that we have blamed for her having balance problems and for years she has taken occasional falls but she had two of them close enough together that she insisted on going to the hospital where she became irrational, her blood pressure got out of control, terrible incontinence including GI bleeds, everyone thought there was a real chance she would die despite what few problems her blood work revealed being quickly stabilized.
After about eight weeks under 24 hour care (including what in hindsight was a very strategically timed steroid injection) she is better than she has been in years. None of her doctors even once mentioned the word "addiction" they just went over her medication list and crossed a bunch of them off. None of her "friends" seemed willing to talk about it with her either or was left up to her family. I hope we got the message through to her and she will avoid that doctor, a doctor who has been a well known and respected local practitioner for decades.

Depends on what kind of heath problems you have as to what drugs you have to take. Heart problems run deep through my family, myself included. My doctor has me on Valium 2X daily for Afib. I have had to take some form of benzodiazepines for my heart since my first heart attack 30 years ago. I also take a few other less well known heart meds like Lasix and Nitro. (I cannot take any kind of opioid pain medication as it makes me vomit and have severe stomach cramps, so it is assumed I am allergic to it.) My brother is on several heart meds including Klonzipine. Another brother and a sister are on Xanax plus other heart meds. They are also given hydrocodone for chest pains in the ER. My 6 year old great niece who has had 5 open heart surgeries since birth is taking Ativan and is given hydrocodone when having chest pain.

Benzodiazepines are the go to drugs to prevent heart attacks and morphine can even stop heart attacks, or so my cardiologist tells me.

Am I addicted? I don't think so since I sometimes go days forgetting to take the Valium if I get busy. I have to flush the extra pills I forget to take every month, sometimes as much as a half of a bottle. But it makes no difference whether I am or not since my heart doctor said I will have to take them until the big one eventually gets me. lol

So some of the medications being discussed on here are being prescribed to treat serious health problems.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members