Senator Al Franken accused of unwanted kissing/groping

How do any of these predators look at their children and not feel overwhelming shame and self loathing? Maybe they do, I don't know. This is also what happens in a society where women aren't valued as important as men economically. It's just another signal to society that men are more deserving of power and agency than women in general. No wonder women can't achieve equality in this country when millions of people will still vote for known sexual predators... It's one thing to vote for someone when you don't know, but look at all the men who are still being championed even when their assault history IS known???? That's some pretty sick self disrespect on the part of women who continue to put these men in power to make decisions which directly affect women themselves.

That is a blanket statement and unfair, imo.

Some women perhaps allowed it. Some women put up with it. Some women hated it but accepted it. Some women complained. Some women were ignored. Some women were scared. Some women were unaffected. Some women denied it. Some women used it. Some women were destroyed by it. Some women lost jobs. Some women pressed charges. Some women were silenced. Some women rose above it. Some women struck out on their own. Some women gave up. Some women fought back.

The crimes happened because someone committed them....not because they were allowed to commit them.

We agree it's time for it to stop.

jmopinion, might not match yours.

I agree, it was a rash blanket statement. I should have said “too many women let it happen”.. I’m talking about the ones that allowed it. Said nothing, laughed about it, thought it was no big deal, etc. Like it or not, women not reporting it, not fighting it, not talking about it, only led to more abuse. Obviously these jerks should have never done what they have done. However, sadly and disturbingly, these men took advantage of women’s silence and fear.

Thankfully, NOW is the time they’re banding together to finally say ENOUGH! Standing up to these entitled a-holes and perverts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not defending Al Frankin's behavior, but there is this:

Tweeden said she accepts his apology, but noted that it took him 11 years.

“He knew exactly what he did to me then and that that picture was out there,” she said. “The apology? Sure I accept it. People make mistakes and he knew he made a mistake.”

https://nypost.com/2017/11/16/frank...amed-him-fish-lips-after-alleged-forced-kiss/

I think we can do a very light review of women’s history in the US. Gaining the vote. Getting to own property Getting a job. Rape is not because of what you are wearing. A woman president in the US is considered to be daring even though Third World Nations have had leaders for years.

What else? It is amazing that women are speaking out now.

I think we can do a very light review of women’s history in the US. Gaining the vote. Getting to own property Getting a job. Rape is not because of what you are wearing. A woman president in the US is considered to be daring even though Third World Nations have had leaders for years.

What else? It is amazing that women are speaking out now.

Legal abortion. Divorce. A husband can be charged with rape.

Apology not enough. For a guy like Franken sitting up there in the Senate and judging others like the Attorney General, and preaching to others about mistreatment of women, this guy is the ultimate hypocrite, and there is no place for him to judge anyone from his high ground. What a despicable man and great example of the swamp that must be cleaned.

Supposedly another accuser is coming forward against Franken.

Apology not enough. For a guy like Franken sitting up there in the Senate and judging others like the Attorney General, and preaching to others about mistreatment of women, this guy is the ultimate hypocrite, and there is no place for him to judge anyone from his high ground. What a despicable man and great example of the swamp that must be cleaned.

Yes, Franken may have to step aside, as might Trump, and Moore. Of course it's historical at this point but Clinton and GHWB should step aside, too.

Really, this is not a partisan issue. To make it such misses the boat entirely-IMO. --Millions of tax payer dollars have been paid settling government harassment claims. This is not a good environment for professional conduct. Those names should be released. Just who are we electing?

Both houses, all branches of government need to clean up their act.

Trump, the ultimate liar, accused by over a dozen women. He called them all liars, said it was fake news, threatened to sue while the nation's children watched. The ultimate disgrace, such a lying con, geez.

While I do not condone Frankin's behavior at all, I do notice that he immediately apologized and is making the effort to make it up - to be an advocate for women, to believe them, to move forward.

Haven't seen that response from many others, including those at the top. What a big impact those leaders could make - quite an opportunity to be a leader and bring people together for change. .

It takes a big person to say, Yes, I did this. It's not fake news. I'm sorry. I'm not doing it now and I won't do it again - and I will use my position to make the situation better.

(And it takes a big person to accept the apology and agree to move forward.)

jmopinion

Yes, Franken may have to step aside, as might Trump, and Moore. Of course it's historical at this point but Clinton and GHWB should step aside, too.

Really, this is not a partisan issue. To make it such misses the boat entirely-IMO. --Millions of tax payer dollars have been paid settling government harassment claims. This is not a good environment for professional conduct. Those names should be released. Just who are we electing?

Both houses, all branches of government need to clean up their act.

The difference is we have a photo of Franken, all proud of himself vs a lot of innuendo, talk, and rumor and questionable facts. SOLID EVIDENCE makes a big difference, and for Al, a picture is a thousand words.

This topic is about Franken, not Trump. No comparison with Franken's stunts and some locker room talk. Al's DEEDS are documented.

"While riffing on ideas involving Rooney finding an empty bottle of sedatives in his desk, Franken suggested Rooney say he had used the drugs to sedate and rape fellow “60 Minutes” correspondent Lesley Stahl. MacDonald and Franken then were quoted going back and forth about Mike Wallace, another correspondent, also being one of Rooney’s rape victims."

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/11/16/franken-sex-comedy/

The difference is we have a photo of Franken, all proud of himself vs a lot of innuendo, talk, and rumor and questionable facts. SOLID EVIDENCE makes a big difference, and for Al, a picture is a thousand words.

This isn't a partisan issue. It's not about being a republican, democrat, or other, it's about being a man.

I'm not defending Al Frankin's behavior, but there is this:

Tweeden said she accepts his apology, but noted that it took him 11 years.

“He knew exactly what he did to me then and that that picture was out there,” she said. “The apology? Sure I accept it. People make mistakes and he knew he made a mistake.”

https://nypost.com/2017/11/16/frank...amed-him-fish-lips-after-alleged-forced-kiss/

It not only took 11 years; he did not apologize on his own-he waited until she made it public to be sorry that he used her sleeping self to sexually humiliate her.

It not only took 11 years; he did not apologize on his own-he waited until she made it public to be sorry that he used her sleeping self to sexually humiliate her.

Yes, you're right. He didn't apologize until today, the day he was accused. And his accuser accepted his apology.

Others have yet to apologize and acknowledge their behavior. All should be held accountable.

How can Franken not own it? There were pictures.

He could have said many things like - it was a long time ago, it was a joke, she was in on it, it's no big deal, all guys act like this, it doesn't mean anything, celebrities can get away with this.

He didn't say any of that. Instead, he said, I did it. I'm ashamed. I'm sorry. I don't act like that any more - please investigate me. I will work to make the situation better.

I DO NOT CONDONE what he did, but I do notice a difference in his reaction than how other politicians are treating the problem.

jmo

I want to vomit. And the people who voted for that crap...

So they never feel betrayed by him the way others might? Whatever is uncovered they'll be ready for.

I thought Senator Franken was an ally, someone who fought for women, and someone who would fight for healthcare for all, someone who fought against corporate power. And here were are, surprise, he's just another man who can't control himself.

I notice none of the men in power have apologized on their own. They all waited until they were outed publicly. And, some still deny it, yes...

Every woman I know has a story. And, I think what Leeann Tweeden did today in publishing that picture was show the level of disrespect. She did a great interview with Jake Tapper. She and Franken were in a war zone entertaining the troops and Franken made a joke out of a very beautiful woman. That is as slimeball as it gets. She had set her boundaries and kept it professional after the unwanted rehearsal kiss. And he took that picture on the trip home when she was exhausted and fell asleep. She in no way deserved that kind of disrespect, or to have a picture like that circulated. And she deserved an apology.

But what is coming out now is how silenced women feel, and how powerless they feel in a professional context. And how now, the agent of change is the feeling of safety in numbers. And it is not even political. It is cultural.

He could have said many things like - it was a long time ago, it was a joke, she was in on it, it's no big deal, all guys act like this, it doesn't mean anything, celebrities can get away with this.

He didn't say any of that. Instead, he said, I did it. I'm ashamed. I'm sorry. I don't act like that any more - please investigate me. I will work to make the situation better.

I DO NOT CONDONE what he did, but I do notice a difference in his reaction than how other politicians are treating the problem.

jmo

Yes, I want it not to be true but it says a lot he's owning it. It's an interesting change from the usual.

So they never feel betrayed by him the way others might? Whatever is uncovered they'll be ready for.

I thought Senator Franken was an ally, someone who fought for women, and someone who would fight for healthcare for all, someone who fought against corporate power. And here were are, surprise, he's just another man who can't control himself.

Well, I think he's all of those things, which is what makes this so painful. He is a good senator, maybe he's a good man NOW. But certainly not then. It feels like a betrayal.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back