Senator Al Franken accused of unwanted kissing/groping

I notice none of the men in power have apologized on their own. They all waited until they were outed publicly. And, some still deny it, yes...

Every woman I know has a story. And, I think what Leeann Tweeden did today in publishing that picture was show the level of disrespect. She did a great interview with Jake Tapper. She and Franken were in a war zone entertaining the troops and Franken made a joke out of a very beautiful woman. That is as slimeball as it gets. She had set her boundaries and kept it professional after the unwanted rehearsal kiss. And he took that picture on the trip home when she was exhausted and fell asleep. She in no way deserved that kind of disrespect, or to have a picture like that circulated. And she deserved an apology.

But what is coming out now is how silenced women feel, and how powerless they feel in a professional context.

And how now, the agent of change is the feeling of safety in numbers. And it is not even political. It is cultural.

BBM for extra thanks. Well said!! Thank you :rose:

Franken did own it. Aren't you following the story? He has issued several apologies and most importantly called for Senate investigation.

I never said he didn't own it. I said he didn't have a choice.

I notice none of the men in power have apologized on their own. They all waited until they were outed publicly. And, some still deny it, yes...

Every woman I know has a story. And, I think what Leeann Tweeden did today in publishing that picture was show the level of disrespect. She did a great interview with Jake Tapper. She and Franken were in a war zone entertaining the troops and Franken made a joke out of a very beautiful woman. That is as slimeball as it gets. She had set her boundaries and kept it professional after the unwanted rehearsal kiss. And he took that picture on the trip home when she was exhausted and fell asleep. She in no way deserved that kind of disrespect, or to have a picture like that circulated. And she deserved an apology.

But what is coming out now is how silenced women feel, and how powerless they feel in a professional context. And how now, the agent of change is the feeling of safety in numbers. And it is not even political. It is cultural.

Bingo!

AS PREVIOUSLY STATED IN A POST ABOVE THIS THREAD IS ABOUT FRANKIN AND NOT ABOUT TRUMP.

NO NAME CALLING. THIS IS NOT THE POLITIVENT FORUM. THAT FORUM IS CLOSED BECAUSE EVERYONE LOST THEIR MINDS.

YOU MUST BEHAVE ON THIS THREAD.

NO TRUMP, NO TRUMP INSULTS, NO MOORE, NO MOORE INSULTS.

AL FRANKIN ONLY.

I'LL STOP YELLING NOW.

Tricia

:ditto:This^ has to be the best reply ever on these threads regarding sexually inappropriate behaviors. There is no excuse, ever, for purposefully making women uncomfortable or degrading. It doesn’t matter your rank, color, gender, or even she. it is always WRONG!

the whole culture needs a swift kick in the behind.

Thank you, human.

I believe that the "*advertiser censored* kicking" has begun.

Maybe some of you who are hell bent on crowbarring Trump into every thread can start a thread about Trump. This thread is about Al Franken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The alert button on the bottom of the post can be used if posts aren't following rules.

FWIW, the topic of these accusations is bigger than Al. It's to be expected, imo, that others who are accused of the same thing - and how they reacted - would be brought into the conversation.

jmo

EDITED: Opps...just saw Tricia's post. I stand corrected!!

AS PREVIOUSLY STATED IN A POST ABOVE THIS THREAD IS ABOUT FRANKIN AND NOT ABOUT TRUMP.

NO NAME CALLING. THIS IS NOT THE POLITIVENT FORUM. THAT FORUM IS CLOSED BECAUSE EVERYONE LOST THEIR MINDS.

YOU MUST BEHAVE ON THIS THREAD.

NO TRUMP, NO TRUMP INSULTS, NO MOORE, NO MOORE INSULTS.

AL FRANKIN ONLY.

I'LL STOP YELLING NOW.

Tricia

Bringing this forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I want it not to be true but it says a lot he's owning it. It's an interesting change from the usual.

Is he really owning it? Didn't he say " that's certainly not the way I remember the rehearsal kiss?'

Sounds like he called her a liar in terms of the kiss part of the accusation. He only 'owned' the picture, but played it off as a joke.

But what is coming out now is how silenced women feel, and how powerless they feel in a professional context. And how now, the agent of change is the feeling of safety in numbers. And it is not even political. It is cultural.

Yes, none of them have apologized without being outed first-I was merely reacting to the notion that Franken, at least, was sorry, unlike the others. He is no more sorry than them simply because he apologized; he was caught, red handed as it were, because he posed for a picture. How stupid is that? What is wrong with these men? I had a discussion with my husband about this tonight-I think 100% of the women I know have been sexually touched, harassed or humiliated in some way by some man who doesn't think it's inappropriate. ( I actually punched a guy in a bar once when I was in college-someone I didn't know, and wasn't talking to, for trying to grab my breast). I've been sexually harassed at work, too. I know exactly why all of these women waited to say something-the safety in numbers is key...it seems to cross all political lines, this behavior-we are not finished hearing about this kind of thing; not by a long shot, as long as there are men who take advantage of women's tendency to not want to rock the boat, or lose their job, or be seen as a troublemaker

Is he really owning it? Didn't he say " that's certainly not the way I remember the rehearsal kiss?'

Sounds like he called her a liar in terms of the kiss part of the accusation. He only 'owned' the picture, but played it off as a joke.

He apologized and he did not equivocate. That is how I see it as ownership. Is it enough for me? No, not really. It wouldn't be enough for any person who did this or similar things to another person, regardless of position.

Franken did own it. Aren't you following the story? He has issued several apologies and most importantly called for Senate investigation.

He didn't own it. He called her out as a liar in terms of the rehearsal kiss.

" I certainly don't remember the rehearsal kiss for the skit in the same way..."

Is that ^^ owning it?

I call this owning it:

“Coming from the world of comedy, I’ve told and written a lot of jokes that I once thought were funny but later came to realize were just plain offensive,” he wrote. “But the intentions behind my actions aren’t the point at all. It’s the impact these jokes had on others that matters. And I’m sorry it’s taken me so long to come to terms with that.”

He's not denying it, or calling the woman a *advertiser censored* or a liar or someone who wants to be famous or take him down. It's unlike the response from most men we've seen in similar situations.

And I 100% agree with this statement:
“This is unacceptable behavior and extremely disappointing. I am glad Al came out and apologized, but that doesn’t reverse what he’s done or end the matter. I support an ethics committee investigation into these accusations and I hope this latest example of the deep problems on this front spurs continued action to address it,” said Patty Murray of Washington, one of the most senior Democratic women in the Senate.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/16/...xual-harassment-groping-forcible-kissing.html

Maybe he truly doesn't remember the rehearsal that way. Chances are he didn't even really remember the rehearsal until reminded of it today. The problem with harassment is that men don't see it the way women do, and I think he is acknowledging that - he invites investigation and seems to be willing to listen to the woman accuser and not shut her down.

jmo

He apologized and he did not equivocate. That is how I see it as ownership. Is it enough for me? No, not really. It wouldn't be enough for any person who did this or similar things to another person, regardless of position.

And, calling for an investigation is a pretty strong statement. At least he's not denying anything. Still a creep though.

Others have yet to apologize and acknowledge their behavior. All should be held accountable.

They surely will be held accountable-especially if there are pictures

He did equivocate. He denied her accusation about the way the kiss happened. He said he certainly did not remember it that way--'but I send her my sincerest apologies. '

-----to equivocate=use ambiguous language so as to conceal the truth or avoid committing oneself.

So he says 'certainly not the way I remember it' ...===ambigious language to avoid committing oneself.

Sounds to me like he is going to eventually deny that aspect of it.

That seems like a very weak apology. He called her a liar than said BUT I send her my sincerest apology. Totally insincere, imo.

Yes, you're right. He didn't apologize until today, the day he was accused. And his accuser accepted his apology.

He knew he did it 11 years ago-are you suggesting that he was only made aware of it now? Because he did pose for a picture. The fact that his accuser accepted his apology doesn't really wipe away the bad behavior. He wasn't a stupid kid when it happened, after all

He didn't own it. He called her out as a liar in terms of the rehearsal kiss.

" I certainly don't remember the rehearsal kiss for the skit in the same way..."

Is that ^^ owning it?

"But the intentions behind my actions aren’t the point at all. It’s the impact these jokes had on others that matters."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back