Sentencing and beyond- Jodi Arias General Discussion #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maria is not exactly a British name.....

Well, it has been anglicized from many backgrounds, actually. Also, if she's of any other lineage, there's always an eventual emigration.

<copy/paste here>
USAGE: Italian, Portuguese, Catalan, Occitan, German, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Dutch, Frisian, Greek, Polish, Romanian, English, Finnish, Corsican, Basque, Biblical Greek, Biblical Latin, Old Church Slavic

I would like to add: It is also used in South East Asian/Middle Eastern countries (pronounced, Ma- ri -a), root being the mother of the Islamic prophet, one and the same Christians refer to as the mother of Christ, Mary* (Hebrew: Miryam).

and she totally sounds like JA... maybe a touch *nicer*, but only because she hasn't been outed to have any lengthy record of deception under her anonymous belt...

I am wondering if I should sign up to Beth Karas' site...

I know that Hope and others have really shed a lot of light into his ordeal but... I think someone said it before, there are things you just can't translate well enough. I had a hard time doing that myself when trying to convey what was in the material I read. Lol

Well, it has been anglicized from many backgrounds, actually. Also, if she's of any other lineage, there's always an eventual emigration.

<copy/paste here>
USAGE: Italian, Portuguese, Catalan, Occitan, German, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Dutch, Frisian, Greek, Polish, Romanian, English, Finnish, Corsican, Basque, Biblical Greek, Biblical Latin, Old Church Slavic

I would like to add: It is also used in South East Asian/Middle Eastern countries (pronounced, Ma- ri -a), root being the mother of the Islamic prophet, one and the same Christians refer to as the mother of Christ, Mary* (Hebrew: Miryam).

and she totally sounds like JA... maybe a touch *nicer*, but only because she hasn't been outed to have any lengthy record of deception under her anonymous belt...

I know that Hope and others have really shed a lot of light into his ordeal but... I think someone said it before, there are things you just can't translate well enough. I had a hard time doing that myself when trying to convey what was in the material I read. Lol

Yes, Maria totally sounds like JA. You can almost be sure that she is JA.

By the name "Maria" not being English, I did not mean that it is not a name that is used in the English language. As you thankfully point out, Maria is a perfectly good name in many languages. I meant that few Brits would give that name to their daughter. I'm speaking stereotypically here. If Jodi wanted to convey the impression she was English, she might rather have called herself Fiona..... Ooh, but sorry, as I'm sure she knew in her obsessed imagination, TA had a predilection for women's names beginning with M. Miranda "thing of wonder")? Matilda (one who is powerful in battle)? Mona (cf. Lisa)? Definitely not Millie ("hard working"). Instead she comes up with a name that's about being a virgin? Bwahahaha!

By the name "Maria" not being English, I did not mean that it is not a name that is used in the English language. As you thankfully point out, Maria is a perfectly good name in many languages. I meant that few Brits would give that name to their daughter. I'm speaking stereotypically here. If Jodi wanted to convey the impression she was English, she might rather have called herself Fiona..... Ooh, but sorry, as I'm sure she knew in her obsessed imagination, TA had a predilection for women's names beginning with M. Miranda "thing of wonder")? Matilda (one who is powerful in battle)? Mona (cf. Lisa)? Definitely not Millie ("hard working"). Instead she comes up with a name that's about being a virgin? Bwahahaha!

There's about a million degrees of separation between virginity and JA. :facepalm:

<copy/paste here>

IMO signing up for BK is absolutely worth it!

1. It is impossible to get a sense of TA's daily life and his business and personal interactions without reading all of the texts.

2. It's very difficult to try to convey even impressions of his interactions without going day by day and transcribing too much from there to here.

3. Each of us probably would pick out/see different tidbits from the texts as important/relevant. I'm sure I've missed stuff because of where my focus is, or because I didn't know something was relevant.

4. More sleuthing minds working with more info equals better. :)

Hrm.. but I know people who have emigrated to Britain and they certainly have named their daughter that, London's population of varying ethnic backgrounds for example.. but yes, I suppose if she wanted to sell it better, go with Annabel or something...

Err, Richshaw, I must point out, Maria is only a virgin in Christian background, Hebrew origin predates that. Pretty sure "Mary's" the only virginal vessel. ;) lol The name's religious association was hijacked... :p My friend, Marie, would flip if she read that. Lolol

Hrm.. but I know people who have emigrated to Britain and they certainly have named their daughter that, London's population of varying ethnic backgrounds for example.. but yes, I suppose if she wanted to sell it better, go with Annabel or something...

Err, Richshaw, I must point out, Maria is only a virgin in Christian background, Hebrew origin predates that. Pretty sure "Mary's" the only virginal vessel. ;) lol The name's religious association was hijacked... :p My friend, Marie, would flip if she read that. Lolol

Yes, England is very diverse and there's a lot of cross cultural mixing. But there are a lot of names that are used there that aren't common in the US at all and vice versa....... For instance: Jodi is an American name.

IMO signing up for BK is absolutely worth it!

1. It is impossible to get a sense of TA's daily life and his business and personal interactions without reading all of the texts.

2. It's very difficult to try to convey even impressions of his interactions without going day by day and transcribing too much from there to here.

3. Each of us probably would pick out/see different tidbits from the texts as important/relevant. I'm sure I've missed stuff because of where my focus is, or because I didn't know something was relevant.

4. More sleuthing minds working with more info equals better. :)

I am pretty interested in the 'lighter side' of Travis. That's what I want to know about... honestly, I get sick of JA and my mind keeps questioning how there is more to the man than we see of him towards her. Um, that's not a personal request that you dedicate your fingers to carpal tunnel, Hope, lol, I think we all appreciate the tidbits as is. :) I just want to see for myself what he was like towards others during a time without her incessant intrusion. I know we've seen some snippets, I really like his sense of humor. Sometimes, I roll my eyes at things, eh, but I find him to be otherwise pretty sharp, relatable to some degree on both his good and bad days, and very perceptive/communicative as well..

I might sign up, if it's not all up yet, I think I should wait. As long as the old stuff is still there..

Yes, England is very diverse and there's a lot of cross cultural mixing. But there are a lot of names that are used there that aren't common in the US at all and vice versa....... For instance: Jodi is an American name.

Haha bizarrely I have two friends here (England) called Jodie and one's a man. Jodie/Jody tends to be used as an abbreviation for Joanna than a standalone name. It's not that common for a man although there are a few. Marie is quite a common name, I would say Maria less so :)

Haha bizarrely I have two friends here (England) called Jodie and one's a man. Jodie/Jody tends to be used as an abbreviation for Joanna than a standalone name. It's not that common for a man although there are a few. Marie is quite a common name, I would say Maria less so :)

My name is Marie, grandfather was from France. : ) I have noticed that Maria is also a name in German and Scandinavian cultures. With how many Marias was he communicating? At least two, right?

but yes, I suppose if she wanted to sell it better, go with Annabel or something...

I'm about to flog a dead horse, but I can't edit my other post..... Annabel would be a very American name. For British, try Arabella.... Mary, rather than Maria...Julia rather than Julie..... Amanda..... Miranda..... Bridget......Joanna...... Josephine.....Serena.....Diana...Simone...Rose...Priscilla....Frances

There is an overlap between American and traditional British names, but England has names that Americans really don't go for and vice versa. ( I went to school in England). TA seemed to go for young women with very American-sounding names: Lisa, Mimi, Regan, Deanna, Jodi, Chaitanya.....

l

Yes, I remember the thing about Jodi as a man's name..... I believe it came from Steinbeck, The Red Pony. This book was read in English schools.... I have never seen it on an American curriculum, lol.

I'm about to flog a dead horse, but I can't edit my other post..... Annabel would be a very American name. For British, try Arabella.... Mary, rather than Maria...Julia rather than Julie..... Amanda..... Miranda..... Bridget......Joanna...... Josephine.....Serena.....Diana...Simone...Rose...Priscilla....Frances

There is an overlap between American and traditional British names, but England has names that Americans really don't go for and vice versa. ( I went to school in England). TA seemed to go for young women with very American-sounding names: Lisa, Mimi, Regan, Deanna, Jodi, Chaitanya.....

l

I think we are all just using difference sources, I referenced 'rank of name by country,' (something to that effect) just to double check. There are more Maria's and Anabelle's, and I'd suppose Marie's, in the UK than America, despite immigration, but note that our land is quite spacious; those names outrank us over there..

http://www.behindthename.com/name/anabelle
http://nameberry.com/babyname/Annabelle/popularity
http://www.behindthename.com/name/maria
http://www.behindthename.com/name/maria/top/england-wales

Also, Anabelle does sound chaste, perhaps I shouldn't have used that as an example, lol. Then again, Chaitanya, that is a Hindi name...
Oh well, she is such a mimic, she probably stuck to names she read about only few weeks prior to coming up with these hair-brained ideas.. which he seems to have caught onto anyway.

Hi AnnieAnnie and :welcome4:

Yes, I remember the thing about Jodi as a man's name..... I believe it came from Steinbeck, The Red Pony. This book was read in English schools.... I have never seen it on an American curriculum, lol.

Also Jodi from 1960's Family Affair.

Thanks Rickshaw, you are so very wise and articulate and that was a great explanation.

I am the youngest of six, 4 older siblings have a different dad. My third oldest sister was diagnosed borderline, by a therapist- she promptly quit therapy. She has described herself as 'empty' on more then one occasion and I think its different then depression. Depression runs on our mothers side so we are all very aware of the symptoms.

My son has Down syndrome and he has had many friends over the years who are Autistic, with and without Aspergers, so I understand that too.

In my sisters case, because I have known her for 50 years- she also has a daughter who has Down syndrome, she and my son are 3 years apart and close. It's different then what you are describing. My sister is much different then Jodi in that she functions well in her business- always making ends meet but she has never been able to work FOR someone. She is all of the things the text books describe for Borderline (my sis). I have had to take a break from her in the past 6 months because she turned her crazy on me, previously I had only witnessed her do it to others. It just seems the empty- at least for her- is present and different then what you described.

Maybe all of it has to do with the fact that the overriding base line for Jodi's personality is sociopathy- my sisters (thank goodness) isn't. Hmmm, much to ponder for certain. I always appreciate your thoughts!

Interesting post, Frigga. I agree with you, I think that the killer's "emptiness" is her lack of feeling, emotion, and empathy, her sociopathy. She got by as long as she did by mimicking others, that is what sociopaths do and many become quite skilled at it. She wasn't as good at it as the Ted Bundy's of the world though. Ted was much more intelligent, charming, and convincing, he even had Ann Rule fooled. And she was no fool. God rest her soul. :(

That said, the killer was also a leach and a freeloader. Think about it, she was basically homeless for most of her adult life. She job hopped constantly when she even had a job, and she rarely if ever even had her own place. She just made the rounds and bummed off of everyone she could. And I'll never cease to be amazed at how she kept so many of her old boyfriends as "friends" so she could go back to them to freeload some more. Actually in thinking on it, I think she was nothing more than a cheap hooker, just without the pimp. There had to be something going on there or they wouldn't have given her the time of day, right? That's how she got by throughout her whole adult life, she was clueless to do anything else. Then comes Travis, who after realizing what she was, stood up like a real man and said "no" to her manipulative con game. And she wasn't going to have it. :cry:

Also the opposite of what a PTSD victim would do:
l_zpshitlub1u.jpg

Nice Photoshopped lateral incisors, btw. ;)

At first glance I thought I was seeing prison stripes. Foreshadowing? ;)

I don't recall having read this (in chambers meeting about the sex tape) I could have though, my brain has no more storage area. LOL.

http://archive.azcentral.com/ic/pdf/0607arias-sex-tape-proceeding.pdf

I read much of this and then gave up. Why? They're all of them so whiny! Juan sounds like he might be operating on ten channels, Nurmi assumes JM is outflanking him but can't figure out quite how.... Wilmott does everything on one shrill note. She speaks in the same key as her high heels and the swish of pencil skirt. She says the same sentence over and over, pretty much. Nurmi also does that, but he does it as a heavy weight: clumsy wild punches, 5 pages, same bong bong bong.

And seriously? Wilmott thinks she's brilliant when she's anticipated that it's very important to emphasize TA's sexual knowledge when he's supposed to have been a virgin? You can get this stuff from books, JW, no? Not a good reader? Never tehehe-ed with your girlfriends in high school over the cute goofy boy in your biology class who all of a sudden grew a bunch....Never hung out in the relevant section at Barnes and Noble? Where have you been, for heck's sake?

JW never had a sexual fantasy? Something seriously wrong here, folks......

JW acts like sexual comments are a major scandal.... Besides which, was she a virgin at 31? Like she expects TA to be? Did she splash all her sex life around? Or was she one of those humans with a "dirty little secret", a private life that she doesn't care to share with the world?

I'm sorry, JW's smugness over twit-ish points makes me roll my eyes. She's just so pleased with herself...

I read much of this and then gave up. Why? They're all of them so whiny! Juan sounds like he might be operating on ten channels, Nurmi assumes JM is outflanking him but can't figure out quite how.... Wilmott does everything on one shrill note. She speaks in the same key as her high heels and the swish of pencil skirt. She says the same sentence over and over, pretty much. Nurmi also does that, but he does it as a heavy weight: clumsy wild punches, 5 pages, same bong bong bong.

And seriously? Wilmott thinks she's brilliant when she's anticipated that it's very important to emphasize TA's sexual knowledge when he's supposed to have been a virgin? You can get this stuff from books, JW, no? Not a good reader? Never tehehe-ed with your girlfriends in high school over the cute goofy boy in your biology class who all of a sudden grew a bunch....Never hung out in the relevant section at Barnes and Noble? Where have you been, for heck's sake?

JW never had a sexual fantasy? Something seriously wrong here, folks......

JW acts like sexual comments are a major scandal.... Besides which, was she a virgin at 31? Like she expects TA to be? Did she splash all her sex life around? Or was she one of those humans with a "dirty little secret", a private life that she doesn't care to share with the world?

I'm sorry, JW's smugness over twit-ish points makes me roll my eyes. She's just so pleased with herself...

Lol, I think one of the things that really bugged Nurmi and Wilmott is that a lot of people thought there was a difference between Travis saying he was a virgin and Jodi's endless series of lies, including how she murdered him, when W & N viewed it as all the same. It's like there's no difference between me telling you your new haircut looks great when in fact I think it looks awful, and you telling me you don't know where my cat is when actually you ate it for dinner.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member