Sheila and Katherine Lyon-sisters missing since 1975 - #2

I am guessing she will do exactly what her brother did and nothing more will be made public. Worked for him. He never had to defend his untruths under oath in a courtroom (under further penalty of perjury LOL) so public only got a "report" from the negotiations, not the specifics. She "agrees" to cooperate. Done! How about putting the questions out there for truthful answers to be heard while she is under oath--again? Too simple?

Zenziert,

"He's more like the consolation prize, as he just happens to be one of the last few survivors that LE can hang this case on and ultimately close the book on a sad saga."

Finding your post about other family members intriguing, it occurred to me that LLW2 was a very young man in 1975 when Eileen Kelly and the Lyons went missing in 1975, but he carried his problem for many years afterward and could have grown from something earlier in his life. A cursory check for missing or dead girls from the area between Hyattsville where RAW lived and Jessup where LLW2 was living as a child (when his mother was killed in the accident caused by his father) produced a couple of interesting cases one of which I remember well. Arlene Replane was a substitute teacher in the Laurel/Beltsville area, and I remember the shock as any student who knew her in the early 1960's would. Her battered body was found in Ellicott City, but she had been left in the snow to freeze to death after being beaten. Interesting was that the same search produced references to the murder of two teens who disappeared from Beltsville and whose bodies were found up in Westen MD/WVA area in 1956, and articles which linked those murders as a possible connection to Melvin Davis Rees who lived in Hyattsville, but 3 of his victims bodies were discovered in the area between Jessup and north of Annapolis. I only have a child's fearful memories of the incidents for which he was convicted, and the Beltsville girls were not one of his convictions. One of the missing teens was also living in Jessup but visiting Beltsville at the time of the disappearance, and the girls were last seen hitchhiking north on US 1.

Makes one wonder if there could be any earlier crime connections (earlier than 1975). There were other cases, but most of the ones I found claimed to have been solved; but we also know that internet records on the 1950's, 60's and even the 70's is somewhat scarce. It does not appear that Arlene Replane's murder was solved. Perhaps LE has been to narrow in the scope of their investigation. I am also reminded that at least one of our regular contributors has posted links to information dating back to the 1940's from the Hyattsville/Mount Rainer area (which would be the DC line). Also various other cases on WS in other parts of the country show amazing similarity well before and after 1975. Is it possible that it means something to this case?

When did it come here? Did it originate here? Is there any kind of stop/start pattern? Is it still going on? When was the last incident which could reasonably be connected? The 50's, 60's, 70's and into the 80's were tumultuous times politically in Hyattsville and Prince George's County leading to a change in government from the Commissioner form to Charter Form of government. What else was happening during those years? As I remember high school civics in the 60's political corruption (possibly being protected by the police) was the root of the changes taking place starting from the District Line-Mount Rainier-Brentwood-Colmar Manor-Hyattsville and moving north and spreading out. And now?

https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AAIBAJ&sjid=P_8FAAAAIBAJ&pg=2929,731356&hl=en

https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AIBAJ&sjid=wAQEAAAAIBAJ&pg=1208,6387036&hl=en

http://fultonhistory.com/Process sm...57/Rogersville TN Review 1956-1957 - 0147.pdf

https://deadsilence.wordpress.com/2006/08/08/melvin-david-rees/

I am guessing she will do exactly what her brother did and nothing more will be made public. Worked for him. He never had to defend his untruths under oath in a courtroom (under further penalty of perjury LOL) so public only got a "report" from the negotiations, not the specifics. She "agrees" to cooperate. Done! How about putting the questions out there for truthful answers to be heard while she is under oath--again? Too simple?

Looks like you guessed correct, Schipperke. The updated case details show that there will be a plea entered on Tuesday morning instead of a jury trial. Almost two years later from her December 2014 arrest, seems the strategy was to postpone the inevitable for as long as possible, and then when time runs out, cop a plea.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Pat Welch plea 8-16-2016.jpg
    Pat Welch plea 8-16-2016.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 197
I think she knows that she'd lose in either a bench or a jury trial.

I think she will have to answer some questions again. We still do not know what was exchanged for the plea, and the judge still has not accepted it. There actually WAS a case in Kansas, a couple of years ago, during which a judge did NOT accept a plea, so it can happen. She will probably be required to testify truthfully in exchange.

Alford Plea - no consequences other than $1,000 fine. Get out of jail and go free!

Lie to the grand jury; plead innocent when charged; plead guilty later, maintain your innocence AND keep your secrets! If she had refused to testify in the first place, she would have spent time in jail for contempt! Man's justice is flawed. It worked for both of them! Who accepted the plea deal and hammered out the arrangements? Said Obie Wan Kenobe in Star wars, "Who's the bigger fool? The fool or the fool who follows the fool?"

My gut feeling: What is being sought is not the answers to this case, but an end to its investigation! WHY?

Alford Plea - no consequences other than $1,000 fine. Get out of jail and go free!

Lie to the grand jury; plead innocent when charged; plead guilty later, maintain your innocence AND keep your secrets! If she had refused to testify in the first place, she would have spent time in jail for contempt! Man's justice is flawed. It worked for both of them! Who accepted the plea deal and hammered out the arrangements? Said Obie Wan Kenobe in Star wars, "Who's the bigger fool? The fool or the fool who follows the fool?"

My gut feeling: What is being sought is not the answers to this case, but an end to its investigation! WHY?

attachment.php

$1,000?

Patricia Welch is found guilty of felony perjury for lying to a Grand Jury investigating a double murder, and she only gets fined $1000.
Even she looked surprised at the unduly lenient sentence.

Attachments

• Pat Welch guilty for $1000.JPG
    Pat Welch guilty for $1000.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 166
I understand a certain amount of frustration, but what is being sought is the girls' remains. At this point, we only have partial answers, and the whole story is still unfolding. The investigation is still rather focused on her husband. If he is guilty of anything here, chances are strong that he had more than just two victims over the course of his life.

"I understand a certain amount of frustration, but what is being sought is the girls' remains."

I believe you are correct in that being the focus they want to keep. There are many who believe, and with good reason, that the root of the "abduction" is far more broad.

If the scope of the research is limited to the focus of finding the remains, the broad roots will remain uncovered and in tact. We know it is had 40 years to grow--we don't know how long it was growing before that or how long it will continue to grow if it continues undetected. Label me (us) anything you like (conspirators, etc), but the many pages of this website (not just this case) bear witness to those possibilities and/or probabilities.

How many lost horseshoes/countries must be lost before one considers there is a problem related to either the nails being used, the shodsman, the purchasing officer, or all of them? If you are the manufacturer of the nail, the shodsman, or the purchasing officer, you don't need to worry if you can keep the focus directed away from the number of horseshoes being lost as being related to the problem. Perhaps the big clue is the number of "horseshoes" being left along the various traveled routes. Axioms may be entertaining, but they can also be enlightening!

All for the want of a Nail
For want of a nail the shoe was lost.
For want of a shoe the horse was lost.
For want of a horse the rider was lost.
For want of a rider the message was lost.
For want of a message the battle was lost.
For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

This case happened in 1980, I think I made a post about it some time ago.

I worked with this child's father and remember it like it was yesterday. We were relieved when he pled guilty and was sentenced to life. Only to have it overturned a few years ago due to jurisdiction error.

So IMO VA must have strong evidence the crime took place there or they wouldn't have filed charges.

Read here what happened in the Kroll case (i won't mentioned the child's name.)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/06/AR2005050601721.html

Also additional articles about the case.

https://www.google.com/search?q=john+kroll+allegany+co+md&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I worked with this child's father and remember it like it was yesterday. We were relieved when he pled guilty and was sentenced to life. Only to have it overturned a few years ago due to jurisdiction error.

So IMO VA must have strong evidence the crime took place there or they wouldn't have filed charges.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/06/AR2005050601721.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=john+kroll+allegany+co+md&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

No doubt that the original plea deal had something to do with his charges. Glad PA decided to help to charge him for it. I don't doubt he waited 20 years till the statue of limitations ran out. It blows my mind he got out of jail a 1st time after what he did to another girl.

From your 1st link The Boundaries of Justice
Then, on April 30, 1970, when he was 20, Kroll drove his car, at a low speed, into another teenage girl. This one was 13 and she was walking in a city park. He dragged her into the woods, slashed her neck, scalp and forehead with a penknife, with such ferocity that the blade broke off. He sexually abused her. He beat her nearly to death with a tree limb. When police arrested him, he acknowledged chasing and cutting a 15-year-old girl a few months earlier, a case that had been unsolved.

The investigation was unsettling. Police found that Kroll kept a half-dozen six-inch wooden dowels in his bed. Some had girls' names on them. He had lain on top of them so often he had a callus on his belly.

"His behavior could be quite bizarre and potentially dangerous," a state psychologist wrote. "The patient apparently derives sexual pleasure by torturing his young victims."

Kroll did eight years.

Six of those were spent at a state mental institution. Psychologists, who found him to be both sane and of "average intelligence," didn't think it did much good.

No doubt that the original plea deal had something to do with his charges. Glad PA decided to help to charge him for it. I don't doubt he waited 20 years till the statue of limitations ran out. It blows my mind he got out of jail a 1st time after what he did to another girl.

From your 1st link The Boundaries of Justice

The DA accepted the plea so the little girl didn't have to testify. It was horrific what he did to her.

It's strange about jurisdiction everyone knew he abducted her in MD but took her to PA for the victimization.

The DA and our community wanted him sent away and the DA made a mistake that could have set him free.

Yes he was out a very short time when he did this. Should never have been let out.

He is a monster and thankfully/hopefully he will never be free again.

DA's have to get it right first time or something like this can happen.

The DA accepted the plea so the little girl didn't have to testify. It was horrific what he did to her.

It's strange about jurisdiction everyone knew he abducted her in MD but took her to PA for the victimization.

The DA and our community wanted him sent away and the DA made a mistake that could have set him free.

Yes he was out a very short time when he did this. Should never have been let out.

He is a monster and thankfully/hopefully he will never be free again.

DA's have to get it right first time or something like this can happen.

If I'm reading the one article right, sounds like he took away her ability to have children when he brutally attacked her

If I'm reading the one article right, sounds like he took away her ability to have children when he brutally attacked her

From what I know he did to her yes I have no doubt. He tortured that child over and over.

This child was so brave, how she was able to provide LE with details ie. Lic number or part of it, color of car, description of the monster, detail of where he took her, I will never know. That is how they were able to arrest him so quickly.

I remember hating our state for letting him out of prison. It didn't make sense
then and made less sense when Getty overturned his conviction.

I understand now about jurisdiction and crime. MD should have charged him with the abduction and PA with the heinous assault.

When his conviction was overturned he was brought back to jail here where he remained until he was sentenced in PA. Many letters were written and face to face with DA begging to not let him out. Letters to the editor. I remember talking to the editor asking him to not let the story go to keep it on the front page. Many of us did that. Thankfully he never was out and hopefully they got it right this time and he will die in prison.

I pray in the little Lyon sisters case VA has the evidence to convict and that monster never gets out.

We have to trust our justice system to get it right but one mistake and a monster can walk free.

This is interesting! I hope the plan is NOT to repeat the same mistake. But there are two ways to look at it, Bedford VA could have learned from Bedford, PA - 1 choice is to repeat it, the other choice is to avoid repeating it. All depends on what the goal is, as I have said before. Does the abduction case end if the murder case fails? Statute of Limitations may have run out already. If the murder charge is for both girls and tried in VA, but one of the girls could have been murdered in MD, does double jeopardy still apply if a case can be made later in MD? I hope the cases are separated and only one is taken to court in Bedford, leaving the possibility of trying the second case in another jurisdiction if the first case is "blown."

Disgusting evil slime. He should be prosecuted for living. The Statute of Limitations on that should be the length of his life.

Disgusting evil slime. He should be prosecuted for living. The Statute of Limitations on that should be the length of his life.

Oops. I see from the second article that he WAS prosecuted for living and that they did create his own statute of limitations for him. Cool. Thank God for smart dedicated prosecutors in that case. Lets hope the whole prison knows what he did and that he's not segregated. He may do less time that way.

Don't forget, though, he chose to plead guilty instead of challenging the action in court. That can make a BIG difference! At what point does it become more scary to live in the outside world than it does to remain behind bars in the world you have grown accustomed to?

I think the double jeopardy question is still a valid one.

If he was tried, convicted, and served time for a crime in any jurisdiction, can be be retried for the same crime in another? In this case, the judge declared the trial invalid over the jurisdiction issue. Does that negate the first trial as if it never happened and restore the state's right to prosecute as a first time despite the fact that he had been serving a declared sentence for same crime at issue? By pleading guilty, the questions of law were never tested in his case. After such a long confinement virtually completing the sentence delivered at the first trial, the lines between retrial and double jeopardy could become blurred. Don't get me wrong, I think he is exactly where he should be, but I am not sure the law did it so much as his decision to plead guilty rather than stand trial and fight on the double jeopardy issue. The result could have been much different if he had been younger and/or smarter. Life in 2016 for a 60+ senior is much different than life in 1980 was for a 20-something. I think nature will see to it that he will serve less time by pleading in the second trial than he actually served on the first one, but the test of such a legal question could have elevated his case to public eye prime-time scrutiny.

This Willoughby family has a lucrative real estate business with an eye for foreclosures. For Example:
Thomas M. Willoughby and Mary Es**** sold 3403 Eastern Ave to Eastern Avenue Investments Corp. for $44,089.-on Nov 18, 2015 . Then on March 13 2016 Eastern Ave Invstments LLC sold it for $379,000 on 6/30/2016. Public tax records show the house's value is now $407,846. Gosh, was it the new window treatments or what?

( It's almost like family members purchased property at foreclosure auctions, then resell some of the properties at a profit by depositing and withdrawing money from an escrow account for the purchase and sale of properties to transfer money from the escrow account to business entities indirectly in control ) Or sell to companies like tax-evading Pegasus Home Corp. Arms length Approved.. Different family members, various properties, lucrative business year after year, with a public sales transaction trail with little to curtail it.

I would like to think ALL the members of Websleuths discussing "Willoughby Place" thread, the Eileen Kelly- 42nd and Jefferson St. thread on WS MAY have encouraged this July search at 5229 42nd Pl. Perhaps LE had a different objective in July. Thank you for your link and most interesting post.

If I remember correctly, there was a court case and a settlement reached which included a councilman and neighbors reported in Hyattsville Life and Times. Reviewing the transcript (especially if there was a trial) might be enlightening. In what world does an elected official of the city receive a financial settlement over contention with a constituent or constituents? Sounds strange, but could possibly be totally "above board." Still might be an interesting angle for Hyattsville Life and Times to pursue since it is now its reporting that is in question in some ways.

I found the difference in appearance of the property in question, from pictures first posted on WS and now, strange--with a big "What's Missing?" flashing. Wasn't there another house sitting right next to the garage --a house that is not there now? I remember wondering which house the garage belonged to when I first saw the photo, and then later the garage became part of the Willoughby house issue. More questions! The Case of the Missing House: What happened to the house at 5227? Who owned that house? When did it disappear? Who performed the demolition? Don't such projects require permits with the city or the county? Seems like the age of the area would bring into question demolition issues such as asbestos and/or other hazardous waste disposal. Who owns the property now? "et cetera, et cetera, et cetera" (The King and I).

Then there is the question of why the daughter of the as-yet-uncharged person-of-interest elected to disclose this property at this stage of the case instead of when the other searches took place. Thought occurs to me that it is much safer to make a disclosure of the residence (where she says her father never lived) after the site is believed to have been "sanitized." Why does she believe Luther needs to be investigated? If she can say from her 8-year-old memories that her father was not involved, can she say who was? Every "answered" issue seems to beget more questions--the most important of which is: Are they leading to the answer of what happened to the girls or away from finding it?

Hyattsville Life and Times, how about some unbiased investigative reporting. . . since your previous reporting now has some question marks attached to it. All most people want is the WHOLE TRUTH!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therealdrreid
Back