SIDEBAR #59 - Travis Alexander forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Georgia settles lawsuit over hormone therapy for transgender inmate

"Georgia will pay $250,000 to settle a federal lawsuit filed by a transgender woman who was denied hormone treatments while serving time in a state prison, the state attorney general's office said on Friday.

The Southern Poverty Law Center said it was pleased with the outcome for client Ashley Diamond, 37, but disputed the settlement amount cited by the state. The non-profit would not disclose a sum, however, citing a confidentiality agreement...

According to the lawsuit, Diamond, a convicted burglar, had lived as a woman and had been taking hormones for 17 years before going to prison. While in prison, Diamond was placed in unsafe conditions with violent men, the lawsuit claimed.

The U.S. Justice Department sided with Diamond on the claim that denying hormone treatments while in prison amounted to cruel and unusual punishment that led to physical pain, muscle spasms and loss of breast mass..."

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-georgia-transgender-idUSKCN0VL23S
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Texas becomes first state to recommend court ban on bite mark evidence

"Texas has become the first state to call for a ban on allowing bite mark evidence, which legal experts say is likely to reverberate in courtrooms across the U.S.

The Texas Forensic Science Commission formally recommended Friday that judges stop accepting bite mark analysis until the technique is supported by better research. There's currently no scientific proof that teeth can be definitively matched to human skin.

At least two dozen men convicted or charged with murder or rape based on bite marks have been exonerated nationwide since 2000..."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/02/1...ecommend-court-ban-on-bite-mark-evidence.html
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

State Bar board affirms disbarment of prosecutor who sent innocent man to death row

"The disciplinary board of the Texas State Bar on Monday affirmed the agency’s decision to disbar Charles Sebesta, the former prosecutor who oversaw the wrongful death sentence of Anthony Graves.

Graves, who spent 18 years in prison, including 12 on death row, for a fiery multiple murder he did not commit, filed a complaint against Sebesta in January 2014. He asked the Bar to hold Sebesta accountable for withholding critical evidence of his innocence...

In June, the Texas State Bar revoked the former Burleson County district attorney’s law license finding that he had engaged in prosecutorial misconduct in Graves’ case..."

http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews....utor-who-sent-innocent-man-to-death-row.html/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK Prison Reform a Step Toward Reducing Recidivism

"UK Prime Minister David Cameron has offered a far-reaching proposal for improving what he describes as the "scandalous" failure of the English and Welsh prison system. Calling his plan the biggest overhaul to the national corrections system since the Victorian era, Cameron said he is the first prime minister to speak on the problem in several decades.

In a Feb. 8 speech to the London-based think tank Policy Exchange, he called for reforms that would not treat prisoners as liabilities to be controlled, but rather as "potential assets to be harnessed." Cameron painted in stark terms the problems plaguing the UK prison system, saying its levels of violence, drug use, self-mutilation and suicides "should shame us all."

Official statistics for last year show the over-85,000 prison population of correctional facilities in England and Wales accounted for more than 14,000 inmate assaults on other prisoners, nearly 600 serious assaults on prison staff members, thousands of self-mutilations, and 89 suicides. In addition, about 32% of former prisoners are convicted of further offenses after being released. A recent report by the UK's chief prison inspector conceded adult prison conditions had worsened since 2010..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris...ep-t_b_9211624.html?utm_hp_ref=crime&ir=Crime
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Police interrogation techniques are bogus and inaccurate

"If you were among the millions of people who watched the Netflix series Making a Murderer (2015), you were probably disturbed by the scenes of police interrogating Brendan Dassey, a 16-year-old mentally challenged boy. You would have seen the detective Mark Wiegert pressuring Dassey – guiding his choices, subtly feeding him information – until he admits to helping his uncle rape and slaughter magazine photographer Teresa Halbach in 2005. It’s clear that the boy will say just about anything just to get out of that room.

That disturbing interrogation, while an extreme example, is standard operating procedure in many police departments in the United States and in the security branches of many international corporations. They learn the Reid Technique – a step-by-step interview process that purports to train ‘human lie detectors’, who unerringly arrive at truthful confessions. But that claim can’t possibly be true.

How I do I know? Because I am a Reid-certified interrogator..."

https://aeon.co/opinions/standard-i...ail&utm_term=0_411a82e59d-76a1eddfbe-68895113
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

51d2cdd615bc87735a9e852e2711c02547da921c.gif

Link: https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/2.../51d2cdd615bc87735a9e852e2711c02547da921c.gif
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story recap: 'The Dream Team'
The defense team finally has all the key players ready for trial

".“Imagine! Imagine that O.J. Simpson was set up by the cops because he was a black man. And because the LAPD has a systematic racism problem.”

So says lead defense attorney (for the time being) Robert Shapiro in the third episode of The People v. O.J. Simpson..."

http://www.ew.com/recap/the-people-v-oj-simpson-american-crime-story-episode-3
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Defending the Kardashians: Why showing the kids is crucial to The People v. O.J. Simpson (with clip)

"Regarding one tiny footnote in The People v. O.J. Simpson, the television jury has rendered a unanimous verdict: They despise on sight the Kardashian kids, who have been shown (played by actors) for a total of 23 seconds in the first two episodes of FX’s acclaimed miniseries.

Twenty-three seconds is one third of one percent of the total show’s total running time. Tonight’s third episode brings with it the tribe’s longest exposure on the show thus far — and is guaranteed to inflame the Twitter flames even fiercer than before...

Just so long as you realize that’s what the show is doing. This one satiric element has backfired for The People v. O.J. Simpson because the Kardashians appall too many people. But if you’re sickened by the show’s use of them, here’s one final cure for your pain: Stop believing, right now, that anyone involved with the O.J. Simpson story crawled out of those two years with any integrity intact. Yes, the attorneys on both sides were doing their jobs, but the case developed into one of the most bloated zits in American culture. And when that zit burst, it looked something like this:..

“The Dream Team” also touches upon several other threads from the whole brouhaha, including the early quivers of the flirtatious relationship between Clark and Chris Darden (who both publicly denied being romantically involved) and, naturally, The Dream Team itself. For valuable dramatic effect, the show depicts Johnnie Cochran as impatiently waiting for O.J. to ask him for help. In an inspired moment, he gets the big call from “the Juice” and it’s a heavy-breathing caller, saying, “I killed her, I killed her good.” (With this scene and the memory of the Howard Stern/Peter Jennings prank I described last week, the show is making me nostalgic for the halcyon days before caller ID.)

But in reality, Cochran was a personal friend of Simpson’s and had been on the phone with O.J. since the day after the murders, rejecting Simpson’s overtures to join the defense team. Cochran was happy with his private practice and enjoying his time as an armchair lawyer on morning TV shows. And he had made up his mind about the O.J. case’s outcome. According to Toobin, Cochran told a friend three days after the murders, “O.J. is in massive denial. He obviously did it. He should do a diminished capacity plea and he might have a chance to get out in a reasonable amount of time.” (If you remember the final moments of episode 1, the “diminished capacity plea” idea there came out of Shapiro’s mouth.)..."

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/16/defending-kardashians-kids-people-v-oj-simpson
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BBC - OJ Simpson the Untold Story (full)

"This program is an in depth investigation into new evidence that has been found surrounding the murder trial of O.J. Simpson.

Who did kill OJ's ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman? This is still a gripping tale. It may be five years on but this story hasn't lost its heady mixture of violence, race, sex and Hollywood glitz...

Five years since that moment, and still the ghosts in this weird and ghastly double murder have not been laid to rest. And it is somehow fitting that the latest investigation to unearth new clues into what might have happened - who did kill OJ's ex- wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman? - is not the result of police work, but a television documentary, OJ: The Untold Story. Once again, it is trial by television, a TV audience being invited to sift through the evidence and draw their own conclusions.
What is more, there are some startling new revelations and a real-life American private eye to help guide us through the maze of new circumstantial evidence. Not exactly a suave Raymond Chandler hero with deadpan delivery, Bill Dear is no Humphrey Bogart. But as a tenacious private detective from Dallas, Texas, he certainly proves that all those American crime novels got one thing right: one private eye with a bee in his bonnet and apparently boundless energy can get a whole lot further in coming up with new leads than an American city police department.

To begin with gruesome photos from the crime scene and eyewitness accounts from the LA police detectives reminds you of how they built their case, and convinces you all over again that surely the evidence against OJ was overwhelming.

But then comes the analysis: the evidence that does not add up.

Here the makers of this documentary have been careful not to be too categorical. They offer two sets of circumstantial evidence that point to two quite separate suspects and two quite different lines of inquiry. So who do they think did it? There is no final chapter to this new investigation. Watch it, and decide for yourself if you still think OJ is guilty."

[video=youtube;QG5CPhGoT3M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG5CPhGoT3M[/video]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could Testimony By These Witnesses Have Changed the Outcome of O.J. Simpson's Trial? (with clip)

"Jill Shively is the only witness who claimed O.J. Simpson was near the murder scene of his ex-wife, Nicole Brown, and her friend, Ronald Goldman, but jurors never heard her story.

Her account is being brought back to life on the hit FX miniseries The People Vs. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story.

Shively says that around the time of the murders she was driving in Brentwood, California, just blocks from Nicole Brown's condo when she saw the former football star in his white Ford Bronco speeding through a red light.

Back in 1994, Shively testified before a grand jury but she was never called as a witness in the murder trial because she sold her story to the TV show Hardcopy for $5,000, prosecutors said...

Skip Junis says he saw Simpson at Los Angeles International Airport just hours after the murders doing something unusual with a travel bag.

“It haunts you that I may have seen him you know discard crucial evidence,” he admitted to IE. “I called the defense and prosecution, if they had only known they could have searched the waste land.”

Investigators believed Simpson’s bag may have contained the bloody clothes and murder weapon which were never found..."

http://www.insideedition.com/headli...have-changed-the-outcome-of-oj-simpsons-trial
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

George Gaynes, a Versatile Character Actor, Dies at 98

"George Gaynes, who played a grouchy foster parent on the 1980s sitcom “Punky Brewster,” the beleaguered commandant in seven “Police Academy” films and a soap opera star with a crush on Dustin Hoffman in drag in the Hollywood hit “Tootsie,” died on Monday at his daughter’s home in North Bend, Wash. He was 98..."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/17/a...ersatile-character-actor-dies-at-98.html?_r=0

160217-news-george-gaynes.jpg

Link: http://cimg.tvgcdn.net/i/r/2016/02/...a47c5bd5dfa3079/160217-news-george-gaynes.jpg

George-Gaynes-punky-brewster-597189_622_749.jpg

Link: https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Gr-eUAo3...orge-Gaynes-punky-brewster-597189_622_749.jpg

RIP :candle:

Denise Matthews, Pop Singer Known as Vanity, Dies at 57

"Denise Matthews, the singer, model and actress known as Vanity, who toured with Prince in the 1980s before eschewing her wild persona for life as a minister, died on Monday in Fremont, Calif. She was 57.

Ms. Matthews’s sister Renay Matthews confirmed the death. She said Ms. Matthews had checked into a hospital on Saturday night after years of health problems related to her kidneys..."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/17/arts/music/denise-matthews-pop-singer-vanity-prince.html

1455593542145.jpg

Link: http://www.ooyuz.com/images/2016/1/15/1455593542145.jpg

RIP :candle:

I feel like you gain a few steps and lose more in this process of life...sigh. He scored a 7+ on the GCS. Saying he SHOULD come out of the coma, they can't give us the 'when'. He brain test shows an improvement from when he first came in the ER. They're saying that his condition is stable for now and they may recommend moving him to another care facility across from the hospital. What I got from yesterday was that 'he is in there, somewhere, but no guarantees'. Talk with him, no negatives vibes around him, read a book out loud, music, touch him, etc.

Thank YOU everyone for all your kindness and good thoughts, prayers, advice. I'm sorry, but right now I need time for processing all this...I'm tired. MY brain has shut down! Think I'm in overload drive.

BBM Sounds encouraging

Get some rest Coffee :therethere:

Morning! :wave:

Spellbound said:
snipped by me...
GigiG, your post to our coffeejunkie reminded me of something I haven't thought about in a long while.

Reminds me too - that my Mamma was in a coma after she fell and had a stroke. My sister read her our emails/letters to her before she died. She said our Mamma smiled when she mentioned something funny or dear to her... so yes, I too, believe people in comas 'know' someone is there!
Happy birthday to Ryan - praying for you!

and I found this on Facebook, who do you think I thought of!!

Coffeejunkie.jpg

and a BIG :hug: to you coffeejunkie!! Take care of yourself, too! And I know the stress of "not knowing" regarding the Huz' cancer. As you can tell from the :happydance: I did above just know that his red blood cell count went - not much - but UP is better than down! It is now minus 1 from the "low normal" setting.

Okay - off to read the Book thread on Juan's book - I know - spoiler, but it makes me more anxious to read the book! :D

Later! :seeya:

YIKES! You been busy YESorNO!! :eek:nline: have to go read those now! :D

:gaah: I hate when I after I post - I lose my Thanks button! :pcguru:

YESorNO said:
snipped by me...
HITLER: THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY?

"...Hitler died in his bunker on April 30, 1945, victim of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. But confusion surrounding an initial postmortem — not to mention plenty of alternative theories — have fueled speculation since then, leading many researchers to dig deeper into the whos, whats and wherefores of the dictator’s passing. Some of them, dismissing the official story altogether, fervently believe Hitler didn’t die that day, but instead fled to Spain and then Argentina.

When U.S. intel officers debriefed former Gestapo chief Heinrich Mueller prior to his going to work for American intelligence to aid the anti-communist push, he “disclosed that Hitler escaped to Spain after the war and that his place in the bunker — and the grave — was taken by a double, a distant blood relative of the Führer’s,” says American talk-radio host and political researcher Dave Emory..."

I watched a program - I think it was the History channel - where some researchers got a hold of FBI files, and followed the route to Argentina. I too think he escaped! I believe there was a forensic anthropolist (sp?) who examined the skull that Stalin had - and it turned out to be a female...

YESorNO said:
snipped by me.... :D
"With the recent expiration of Mississippi's lethal injection drugs, Mississippi Attorney General Jim Hood released a legislative agenda that could effectively nullify the logistical and ethical issues particular to the cocktails.

As I've said before - what is wrong with using the SAME drug cocktail that Texas does??!! :thinking: They seem to have a good it seems, as you posted - quite a few executions this year!

Love the dogs with the socks! :lol:

okay - maybe now I can trip on over to the Book thread... :D

OH coffeeJ. it's the "not-knowing" that drives you crazy. The stress level must be through the roof. Wrapping you in warm strong vibes to bring you the strength you need to get through this. :grouphug:

Pages ...... that bunch sounds like a scary reality show in the making. :scared:

They watch too much Mythbusters and living off the land shows. The axes were to chop logs into smaller pieces (dh has a woodpile that has larger split wood for his smoker) to fit in the fire pit. I did stop them from jumping off the roof of grandson's shed (he built it himself when he was fourteen), with one on the ground standing on a two by four, wanting to climb into a tire and roll down the hill, and making a zip line between the roof of the garage to one of the pecan trees. They've shot each other with china berries from the slingshots they made because I wouldn't let them use air pistols, bb or pellet guns. Down here that's call just being boys.

My grandson has Aspergers ,a form of Autism and is high functioning and smart. Too smart sometimes for his own good.

I was joking about the uranium for the catapult, They're using apples and potatoes. They're really good boys, and know the difference between right and wrong. Both have told me that they would never harm anyone unless it was in self defense, and my grandson's dr. isn't concerned about him harming anyone or himself.

Hatfield, Dh does have boxes of ceramic insulating tiles that are used in kilns, but I haven't told him. He wants to build a forge and asked for an anvil for Christmas.

Pages, they make life a lot more fun, that's for sure. And that adventurous, experimental streak just might contribute to them having great jobs one day. In all honesty, I love the way they are living and learning. Sure beats sitting inside with a darned cell phone or video game all day.

Okay - I get my Juan book next week some time (Feb 22-23), and am willing to share with people that don't or can't buy it! Here's my sharing list so far. I also posted this on the Book thread, so if you say you would like to read it here - and than others on the other thread - I'll make a "note" of "when" you ask, and you'll go on my list in that order! Okay? :D

Juan's Book Sharing List:
1. RickshawFan
2. MistyM (not confirmed yet!)

So, if you would like to read - let me know!

Signing off for the night - :pcguru:

:seeya:

Okay - I get my Juan book next week some time (Feb 22-23), and am willing to share with people that don't or can't buy it! Here's my sharing list so far. I also posted this on the Book thread, so if you say you would like to read it here - and than others on the other thread - I'll make a "note" of "when" you ask, and you'll go on my list in that order! Okay? :D

Juan's Book Sharing List:
1. RickshawFan
2. MistyM (not confirmed yet!)

So, if you would like to read - let me know!

Signing off for the night - :pcguru:

:seeya:

Niner, where do I sing up for the traveling Juan book? I know spell has hers and didn't know if Daisymae, Nore, Gigi and our regulars would like me to pass my on first.

Anyone Anyone?

Niner, where do I sing up for the traveling Juan book? I know spell has hers and didn't know if Daisymae, Nore, Gigi and our regulars would like me to pass my on first.

Anyone Anyone?

No thank you, but thank you for thinking of me!

No thank you, but thank you for thinking of me!

Same here. I'd like to read it, but I can't deal with the post office. I'll wait until I can get it from the library.
But I, too, thank you for thinking of me!

Same here. I'd like to read it, but I can't deal with the post office. I'll wait until I can get it from the library.
But I, too, thank you for thinking of me!

My husband works for USPS and he could have it mailed it first class to you. I shared my Jeff Aston with a man (IIRC it was rpgman?), and used my screen name for the signature and gave the facility that dh is at as my address, if you don't have them it brings more inspection. So, is there a way it could get to you without revealing your name and such?

This is for anyone that would like to read and pass it on.

How are you? I hope your plumbing is doing OK. Ours isn't. It started two or three weeks ago (time has been passing by with our visitor) when the bathtub gurgled when you flushed the toilet for a day than backed up. DH has two roto roooters (?) and used the small one first than the big gun and it was fine on our end but was backing up on the city's main line (which is in the middle of the street, and it used to be the city's responsibility from the meter and into the main, but a ordinance a few years ago put in place a that it was the home owners all the way to the main), so dh calls the city (this is on a late Saturday afternoon) public services, told them and really got no where. So he asked to speak with the supervisor and they told him to get a plumber (two hundred buck) to check if it was backed from our meter to the main.

An hour later dh takes off for the mayors house, he wasn't home but dh left a note. I wondered if a swat team was going to show up. So Sunday we have nothing. On Monday I heard all this commotion out in front of the house, there were several big trucks, and one that runs a camera down the pipes to see where the blockage was and it was crushed ( no idea how that happened unless an earthquake did it) and moved, so it was their problem, and they were very apologetic, and wanted to assure us they would "fix" it so we wouldn't be with out. They dug up the street in front of the house and finally this week came back to pour concrete. But when they dug up the old pipe they cut the fiber optic for our cable, landline and internet, and it took a week before Verizon could come out dig a trench to lay down new lines.

It's been very warm down here, but very windy. Trees are blooming Tonight the over night temps are to be in the sixties and eighty degrees tomorrow. I see that Zuri has snow, and I thought you would be in the same storm as Zuri.

Its been really warm lately and the bugs are starting to hatch. Had to kill a couple nasty spiders already and a small centipede. I hate bugs in the house. Grrrrrr

Pages wrote:
How are you? I hope your plumbing is doing OK. Ours isn't. It started two or three weeks ago (time has been passing by with our visitor) when the bathtub gurgled when you flushed the toilet for a day than backed up. DH has two roto roooters (?) and used the small one first than the big gun and it was fine on our end but was backing up on the city's main line (which is in the middle of the street, and it used to be the city's responsibility from the meter and into the main, but a ordinance a few years ago put in place a that it was the home owners all the way to the main), so dh calls the city (this is on a late Saturday afternoon) public services, told them and really got no where. So he asked to speak with the supervisor and they told him to get a plumber (two hundred buck) to check if it was backed from our meter to the main.

snipped and bolded by me!

Pages, this happened to us shortly after we moved here. The problem was the old pipes that ran under the road, across the street, and hooked up to the main. They were broken under the road. Unfortunately, they charged us to dig a trench across the entire road and to the main, even though it was not our fault! grrrrr!!

Good luck.... Hope they don't make you pay one penny for your repair.

The ISIS threat in Libya is worse than I thought. The recent airstrike was to take out some of their top commanders but without boots on the ground there is no telling how effective airstrikes were unless reports come out that can be validated.

JMO
The current US method of just airstrikes is not enough to remove ISIS threat from the world. Where is the United Nations and NATO in organizing a multi national force to remove the world threat?

It always disappoints me that the US seems to always get involved in trying to help the world and yet other countries with the same concerns about ISIS don't want to help much.

I have a feeling Money is the main reason other countries never seem to want to chip in.
Its no wonder US is in debt and our nations roads and bridges are falling apart.

Something more has to be done to eliminate the threat from ISIS besides just airstrikes but people are war weary and so therein lies the problem.
The airstrikes have been effective to at least disrupt them. The articles talk about how the senior ISIS commanders were migrating to Libya because of the airstrikes so they are somewhat effective in disruption.

I feel sorry for the people in Libya who cant seem to develop their own agreed upon government. Same sort of thing happened in Lebanon and even Iran to an extent.
The people suffer because the governments are not like normal international governments that play by normal rules and can work civil with other countries.

No easy answers for these problems.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-35613085

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-35486158

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads