South Korea ship sinking - 450 on board, April 2014

Death toll rises to 58.

One teacher hailed as a hero; surviving students say he could have left the ship safely with them but he refused to leave without the remaining students. He went back to try and lead them to safety and hasn't been seen since.

Per CNN.

I have no words. Just Prayers :please:

Respectfully to all senior citizens, @69 could this captain have been too old? Problems with judgment. If it's true turning controls over to the third mate. Just a thought.

ciao

Respectfully to all senior citizens, @69 could this captain have been too old? Problems with judgment. If it's true turning controls over to the third mate. Just a thought.

ciao

Possible but doubtful. Probably lax safety concerns all the way around. Seems crew lacked knowledge for emergencies. Sad.

This is so sad.....

"Sewol: "Our ship is listing and may capsize."

Jindo VTS: "How are the passengers doing? ..."

Sewol: "It's too listed that they are not able to move."

A short time later, another exchange takes place:

Jindo VTS: "Are the passengers able to escape?"

Sewol: "The ship listed too much, so it is impossible."

The transcript may help answer one of the major questions about the capsizing: Why didn't passengers escape on lifeboats?"

(From above link)

Why do the South Korean people on CNN have hats on that say POLICE?

BBM Holy mother of.....

So if the water was too cold for the children, why didn't you and the crew instruct them in how to deploy the lifeboats, so they didn't have to go in the water? Like you did?

So you thought they'd have a better chance of survival staying in their cabins as the ship turned upside down, Captain?

Sorry y'all, I'm just venting. This makes me so angry!

It makes me so angry, too. IMO Most of the passengers were young. I work with students the ages they were and they are agile and clever when necessary, so I believe they had a better chance to be able to walk on the listing ship. They may have also had a better chance of surviving in the cold water than the elderly. To have not tried to evacuate them off the ship, even if it meant them just jumping overboard, is criminal. It would have given then a greater chance of survival than just staying in their cabins (which pretty much meant certain death with how rapidly the ship took on water).

I am pretty certain that if they had announced immediately to evacuate, a lot more people/students would be alive today.

It is unfortunate that so many of the students and passengers on board trusted the judgement of the captain and the ship's crew and thus did not even have a chance to escape. So very tragic.

There are no words for this video. Warning: extremely sobering, heartbreaking, intense.

It shows the recovery process of bringing back the recovered bodies all wrapped in white, and the identification process, etc. Words can not describe the content of this video. My heart is so heavy. This is one of the most intense things I've ever seen right up there with 9/11. Sad can not even describe the tone of this video.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/20/world/asia/south-korea-ship-sinking/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

What a terrible tragedy this is my heart breaks for all the families. It is so sad the passengers were following orders to stay put and they paid for the mistake of the crew with their life's. Thoughts and prayers for the dead and their families.

It is not the first time hundreds of people have died in a ferry disaster. The only good thing that can come of this disaster is a worldwide review of safety protocols in ferry's across the globe to prevent any loss of life in future incidents.

But it is not in an English first speaking language country.

seems the police think it's a more universal language to display on their uniforms (and also their cars and buildings according to my google image search)

why, I do not know - English is common there but I didn't realize it was that common

There are no words for this video. Warning: extremely sobering, heartbreaking, intense.

It shows the recovery process of bringing back the recovered bodies all wrapped in white, and the identification process, etc. Words can not describe the content of this video. My heart is so heavy. This is one of the most intense things I've ever seen right up there with 9/11. Sad can not even describe the tone of this video.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/20/world/asia/south-korea-ship-sinking/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

I saw this video earlier today. I know what you mean about not having the words to express the depth of sadness. I've been following the story closely, and reading here daily, but I've been unable to put into words how I feel. My heart hurts......for the passengers.....the families.....the rescuers.....and the police who are standing guard to prevent the parents from trying to take their own lives. All I can do is pray.

It makes me so angry, too. IMO Most of the passengers were young. I work with students the ages they were and they are agile and clever when necessary, so I believe they had a better chance to be able to walk on the listing ship. They may have also had a better chance of surviving in the cold water than the elderly. To have not tried to evacuate them off the ship, even if it meant them just jumping overboard, is criminal. It would have given then a greater chance of survival than just staying in their cabins (which pretty much meant certain death with how rapidly the ship took on water).

I am pretty certain that if they had announced immediately to evacuate, a lot more would be alive.

RSBM I agree, I would much rather take my chances clinging to the side of the ship or floating in the water with a life vest on than drown in my cabin. And I agree that many more children would be alive today if they were instructed to try evacuating.

I am pretty certain that if they had announced immediately to evacuate, a lot more people/students would be alive today.

It is unfortunate that so many of the students and passengers on board trusted the judgement of the captain and the ship's crew and thus did not even have a chance to escape. So very tragic.

RSBM One parent said he texted with his child and told her she would be fine and to just follow the instructions of the Captain and crew.

A teacher went back in to try and rescue the students, conversely the Captain and crew were among the very first people rescued.

That says it all right there.

I don't even know what to say after watching that video. I've typed, backspaced, typed again. No words are adequate. Those poor parents, those poor kids. Don't watch that video if you're easily upset; you actually hear the moment a parent identifies their dead child.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back