SPAIN - Daniel, 46, & Liam Poole, 22, British tourists, Estepona, Malaga, 1 Apr 2019

I don't know if this is related or not, but I came across this news article from 2003 about arrests related to a drug ring. Among them is a 30 year old Daniel Poole, which would make him 46 now (same as this one). It says he is from Shanklin on the Isle of Wight (not a million miles from Sussex in the big scheme of things). I have no proof of our Daniel Poole living in that area at the time but just thought it was odd. There have been many things I have read along the way about this case which make me think that it is drugs related in some way.

Again I'm just grasping at straws but I find lots of little things all the time pointing in the same direction, but as yet, no solid proof.

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Eleven arrests in heroin ring inquiry

This is NOT the same Daniel Poole I can assure you!!

Lauryn Poole has commented on the Sussex Police appeal on Facebook saying that the car was a grey Peugeot 308 hired through British Airways, and that there is no confirmation they bought sim cards. From the initial appeal I think it was the family's assumption that is what they had bought. Perhaps they thought that as a purchase showed up in an internet cafe of 12 euros, as mentioned on the original appeal. Maybe that money was spent on browsing the internet, not purchasing sim cards. Strange if that is the case as the hotel would have had wifi and they could have used their phones to browse the net, unless of course they wanted to be browsing anonymously??

Lauryn Poole has commented on the Sussex Police appeal on Facebook saying that the car was a grey Peugeot 308 hired through British Airways, and that there is no confirmation they bought sim cards. From the initial appeal I think it was the family's assumption that is what they had bought. Perhaps they thought that as a purchase showed up in an internet cafe of 12 euros, as mentioned on the original appeal. Maybe that money was spent on browsing the internet, not purchasing sim cards. Strange if that is the case as the hotel would have had wifi and they could have used their phones to browse the net, unless of course they wanted to be browsing anonymously??

Maybe they did something else in the Cafe, scanning/printing documents perhaps?

I wonder whether LE in Spain went there to find out.

Nutnut "This is NOT the same Daniel Poole I can assure you!!"

I hope so. That does not rule out it might be drug related. A relation in law was involved in smuggling soft drugs for many years, he was also a mechanic and workshop owner, we only knew properly after he was caught once, we shared the same roof for many years during that time . Either way the police will know as much or more than I do if that is the line of inquiry, and I will spare the family from speculation, or describing how that scene is nowadays.

Having lived on the coast for thirty years, the idea that they went off road is not very likely, though I suppose it must remain a possibility. There are many cases of lone hikers, walkers, disappearing. Some have not been found, some are found after months of search. However the only events related to vehicles I am aware of (and I follow local press) , are driving into ports (always witnessed), or the longest delay for driving off road was a motorcyclist who was not found for a couple of days.

I will just keep track here and chip in where I have anything that might be useful to add. We really need more input from relatives or police, though I understand there might be good reason to not disclose information. The Peugeot 308 for example, we are asked to provide info, but we don't even have the number plate provided, are people supposed to report every grey Peugeot? This sort of detail lacking is not understandable.

I had posted early on that many reviews of the hotel stated that the WiFi was continuously down. We don’t know if this was the case for them but it well could be the reason they were at an Internet cafe spending those 12 euros.

Nutnut "This is NOT the same Daniel Poole I can assure you!!"

I hope so. That does not rule out it might be drug related. A relation in law was involved in smuggling soft drugs for many years, he was also a mechanic and workshop owner, we only knew properly after he was caught once, we shared the same roof for many years during that time . Either way the police will know as much or more than I do if that is the line of inquiry, and I will spare the family from speculation, or describing how that scene is nowadays.

Having lived on the coast for thirty years, the idea that they went off road is not very likely, though I suppose it must remain a possibility. There are many cases of lone hikers, walkers, disappearing. Some have not been found, some are found after months of search. However the only events related to vehicles I am aware of (and I follow local press) , are driving into ports (always witnessed), or the longest delay for driving off road was a motorcyclist who was not found for a couple of days.

I will just keep track here and chip in where I have anything that might be useful to add. We really need more input from relatives or police, though I understand there might be good reason to not disclose information. The Peugeot 308 for example, we are asked to provide info, but we don't even have the number plate provided, are people supposed to report every grey Peugeot? This sort of detail lacking is not understandable.

I agree, I do wonder if some family members, for instance his daughter Lauryn, have been protected from knowing about some of the stuff that he has been involved with, and that is why she protests his innocence. It's not her fault but I do feel there is more going on here than some family members know.

I also agree that we are getting very little information from police and other authorities. I can't help feeling that a lot is being held back possibly for a good reason, whatever that may be.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

Perhaps from what we've read, someone has them, and the police don't want them alerted that they are on to them, but they want them to know they are still searching for them and to increase the media presence and awareness for that reason? or maybe not, I don't know, but why not release the reg of the car for a start, show the CCTV footage of them leaving the hotel in the car? Picture of the internet cafe in the report maybe? All things that you would think the police would include. Seems to be deliberately vague.

Last edited by a moderator:
Police fear Brit father and son missing in Spain may have 'come to harm'
"British detectives investigating the disappearance of a father and son in Spain fear the pair may have "come to harm."

Father and son Daniel and Liam Poole, aged 46 and 22, travelled to Malaga on March 31 and were last heard from their family the next day.

The Surrey and Sussex Major Crime Team are now investigating the case to find the pair from Burgess Hill, West Sussex.

They are working with the Spanish authorities to investigate the missing persons case."

"Daniel's wife, Tara Poole, told The Olive Press last month: "This is completely out of character for them. They never have their phones off and always keep in touch - we are so worried."

Tara said she last spoke to Daniel, who runs a car repair shop in Burgess Hill, at about 6.30pm on April 1."

May 3 2019
WHERE ARE THEY?: Fresh appeal to help find Brit father and son 'missing' in Spain - Euro Weekly News Spain
“Their family are very concerned about them as they last heard from them on April 1, the lack of contact is out of character for the pair. The family are being supported by family liaison officers and are being kept informed.

“We know that Daniel and Liam hired a grey Peugeot 308 car when they got to Spain but this has not been returned to the car hire firm. We would like to hear from anyone who has seen them, the car or has any information about their whereabouts in Spain or any other location since March 31.”

"If you can assist with the investigation report online at www.sussex.police.uk quoting Operation Pheasant."
Missing British father and son who vanished from Spain's Costa del Sol 'may have come to harm', warn UK police - Olive Press News Spain
Estepona-general.jpg

The lads were staying in holiday hotspot Estepona

"Laurence Poole, 43, also from Sussex, said he is fearing the worst while Daniel’s other two children, aged 19 and 17, are ‘absolutely terrified’.

“I’m beginning to fear the worst,” he told the Olive Press, “it’s been too long for them to be missing something’s not right.

“It’s so difficult because you want to be as positive as you can but you need to be realistic about the situation.”

He added that it was still a complete mystery as to what could have happened to his brother and nephew, who vanished from Estepona more than two weeks ago.

“I’ve got no clue as to what actually happened.

“There’s been so much speculation, people have told me he was there to buy a car and others said he was looking at a property along the Costa del Sol but we just don’t know.

“The police seem to have no answers yet or if they do they are remaining tight lipped.”

Last edited:
Perhaps from what we've read, someone has them, and the police don't want them alerted that they are on to them, but they want them to know they are still searching for them and to increase the media presence and awareness for that reason? or maybe not, I don't know, but why not release the reg of the car for a start, show the CCTV footage of them leaving the hotel in the car? Picture of the internet cafe in the report maybe? All things that you would think the police would include. Seems to be deliberately vague.

That might be a question of who is competent and jurisdiction. If you have British police launching an investigation in a foreign country there are barriers to how far they are able to express their presence, there are local sentiments to take into account. You can imagine Spanish police launching an investigation in the UK for example, if they started posting details that reflected on the UK or British order. If you look at how the Mcann case played out in Portugal and what many locals think you might understand the caution demanded, and how it is kept very basic for now. However from the perspective of actually pursuing a result then it seems either short or purposefully vague. It is possible they are giving opportunity for any culprits to back out, or that the pressure is being mounted slowly as various suspects are being observed, from which information can be deduced. It is also possible that this is more a front to satisfy any questions on whether anything is being done, the real line of enquiry being quite different. With missing persons there is always going to be an element of frustration.

May 3 2019
WHERE ARE THEY?: Fresh appeal to help find Brit father and son 'missing' in Spain - Euro Weekly News Spain
“Their family are very concerned about them as they last heard from them on April 1, the lack of contact is out of character for the pair. The family are being supported by family liaison officers and are being kept informed.

“We know that Daniel and Liam hired a grey Peugeot 308 car when they got to Spain but this has not been returned to the car hire firm. We would like to hear from anyone who has seen them, the car or has any information about their whereabouts in Spain or any other location since March 31.”

"If you can assist with the investigation report online at www.sussex.police.uk quoting Operation Pheasant."
Missing British father and son who vanished from Spain's Costa del Sol 'may have come to harm', warn UK police - Olive Press News Spain
Estepona-general.jpg

The lads were staying in holiday hotspot Estepona

"Laurence Poole, 43, also from Sussex, said he is fearing the worst while Daniel’s other two children, aged 19 and 17, are ‘absolutely terrified’.

“I’m beginning to fear the worst,” he told the Olive Press, “it’s been too long for them to be missing something’s not right.

“It’s so difficult because you want to be as positive as you can but you need to be realistic about the situation.”

He added that it was still a complete mystery as to what could have happened to his brother and nephew, who vanished from Estepona more than two weeks ago.

“I’ve got no clue as to what actually happened.

“There’s been so much speculation, people have told me he was there to buy a car and others said he was looking at a property along the Costa del Sol but we just don’t know.

“The police seem to have no answers yet or if they do they are remaining tight lipped.”

Dear me, everyone is repeating everything from everyone. And nothing new is added, only that the car was a grey Peugeot 308.

A car to remember ... not so much!

PEUGEOT-308-61112_1.JPG

Surely LE must know by now where their phones pinged last! or at least any direction that they went on Tuseday morning!

That might be a question of who is competent and jurisdiction. If you have British police launching an investigation in a foreign country there are barriers to how far they are able to express their presence, there are local sentiments to take into account. You can imagine Spanish police launching an investigation in the UK for example, if they started posting details that reflected on the UK or British order. If you look at how the Mcann case played out in Portugal and what many locals think you might understand the caution demanded, and how it is kept very basic for now. However from the perspective of actually pursuing a result then it seems either short or purposefully vague. It is possible they are giving opportunity for any culprits to back out, or that the pressure is being mounted slowly as various suspects are being observed, from which information can be deduced. It is also possible that this is more a front to satisfy any questions on whether anything is being done, the real line of enquiry being quite different. With missing persons there is always going to be an element of frustration.
I agree, it seems to me the purpose of the latest news release is to inform everyone that this is being investigated by a Major Crimes Unit in the UK.

I notice there was an article in Spain, published two days before this news release, implying that no one was investigating. This kind of journalism is typically intended to bait the police into issuing some kind of official statement. They are compelled to do it to reassure the public, but they'd rather keep their cards close to the chest.
'No significant leads' in mystery of British father and son who vanished a MONTH ago from Spain's Costa del Sol - Olive Press News Spain

I agree, it seems to me the purpose of the latest news release is to inform everyone that this is being investigated by a Major Crimes Unit in the UK.

I notice there was an article in Spain, published two days before this news release, implying that no one was investigating. This kind of journalism is typically intended to bait the police into issuing some kind of official statement. They are compelled to do it to reassure the public, but they'd rather keep their cards close to the chest.
'No significant leads' in mystery of British father and son who vanished a MONTH ago from Spain's Costa del Sol - Olive Press News Spain

I think so. The Spanish police have been criticised at times for not reacting to missing persons cases, and foreigners do not get special attention with regards. Usually the cases which do get the attention are where there is a clear assumption of recent abduction or assault and the means are then deployed to resolve. The other times they organise is when people dissapear on walks, they then set up search parties etc. The population of foreigners is quite transient and I don't think that they are able to dedicate themselves to all reports. They might simply not have the leads necessary to start, or the understanding or concern that say the British police will have. So the media reports have drawn attention and a reaction from the UK, and I assume there will be some serious work going on now.

Still, it is not very possible to help from outside without more details ( are they usually always phones on, last position, phones switched off at same time, contacts on internet, cash withdrawals or other large payments, any history of drugs, etc. etc.) That information is surely there so I just have to leave it till the choice is made to share it, or until a main hypothesis is forwarded.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

This event is very close to me in many ways. I am not familiar with anyone implicated (mentioned or otherwise), but they feel like family.

So, that is why I am talking here, because when you see you cannot choose the picture, and it is difficult on a person.

I was browsing through personal background online, just small details , and it does reinforce the intuition of my first comment, in various ways. I would welcome the humiliation of being wrong if it were for a mundane resolution.

Well I don't know who you all are, and I guess it will stay that way, but I thank you for the space to speak, and for being heard.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
If that includes me then I could say I was guessing, but I wouldn't be, and I could say I know something but I wouldn't.

This event is very close to me in many ways. I am not familiar with anyone implicated (mentioned or otherwise), but they feel like family.

So, that is why I am talking here, because when you see you cannot choose the picture, and it is difficult on a person.

I was browsing through personal background online, just small details , and it does reinforce the intuition of my first comment, in various ways. I would welcome the humiliation of being wrong if it were for a mundane resolution.

Well I don't know who you all are, and I guess it will stay that way, but I thank you for the space to speak, and for being heard.

Thank you.
Reads like a riddle to me . When you see you cannot choose the picture ?????

Reads like a riddle to me . When you see you cannot choose the picture ?????
Maybe: when you perceive a very bad situation, you can't pretend it's good.

I don't have strong instincts about this particular case, but in a few others I've felt quite certain about what must have happened. It is often because of knowing similar kinds of people, in a familiar environment.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JennySue80
Back