Found Deceased Spain - Esther Dingley, from UK, missing in the Pyrenees, November 2020 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
El invierno se despide con nieve y frío

At the beginning of spring, the weekend, during which one season ends and another begins, comes with rather wintry weather, in fact, this Friday has already started with heavy downpours in the form of snow which, in the Aragon valley, have reached below 1000 metres. In the Ribagorza, this morning it has fallen to 1600 metres.

It is snowing on the dividing line of all the Pyrenean valleys. Temperatures have plummeted and snow ploughs are working to clear the roads at the border crossings. At the northern ski resort of Llanos del Hospital at 9.30 in the morning, it was snowing and some 10 centimetres had fallen. The minimum temperature was -5.7 degrees at 8.20 am.
In El Portalet and Formigal, around 5 centimetres of new snow has fallen and the forecast from the State Meteorological Agency is that 15 centimetres of new snow will fall.

BBM

From Dan’s dossier:

The search for Esther commenced at first light on Thursday 26th November, the morning after she was due to return to the motorhome in Benasque, with search teams deployed in both France and Spain, some walking with dogs and some in helicopters flying over the area. These are highly trained, highly proficient experts who have been working in this specific area of the mountains for many years. They know the terrain and locations that are likely to cause difficult for hikers.

For the first two days of the search, visibility on Pic de Sauvegarde was hampered slightly by a light dusting of snow and some cloud, although nothing that prevented the search teams ascending the routes from both sides of the mountain and the helicopters could still see most of the mountainside.
From Saturday 27th – Tuesday 1st December, the sunny weather returned, the light dusting of snow mostly melted and visibility was excellent. In addition to continued search teams retracing Esther’s planned route and other nearby trails, helicopter search teams continued to fly up and down the slopes.

The Spanish police also spent a day scanning the slopes of Pic de Sauvegarde with high powered telescopes from the opposite side of the valley. At times literally dozens of search and rescue personnel were walking the trails looking for any trace of Esther or her equipment.

The focus of the search was Esther’s last known location, planned route and nearby alternatives, with searchers sweeping back and forth over the hillside away from the trails, literally looking under large rocks and descending into crevices in the landscape.

In addition to this immediate area, as the map below indicates, trails in a very wide surrounding area were also walked. For more distant trails, search teams on the ground were flown in with helicopters. Water bottles and a pair of gloves were found, indicating the closeness of the search, but nothing belonging to Esther.

Esther’s partner Dan, was in close communication with both the French and Spanish search teams on a daily basis, providing information on Esther’s preferences, ability, hiking pace and communication habits. He also walked and searched the hillsides around all of the trails in the immediate area of Esther’s last known location on the French side (walking alone so he could continue outside of standard SAR hours).
On Wednesday 2nd December heavy snow began to fall in the area...snip
Gosh, I didn’t know how intensive and massive the search was,.. especially as all those people were in lockdown themselves etc. Amazing work they did then. Sound like she isn’t there then, al least as several of you have just stated, she wasn’t on the trails she said she’d take. ... So possibly walked miles away on a new route. I hope so, abduction would be quite a rare thing to occur, with the only possibility I see as only by someone she had previously befriended. Poor Dan may never have closure, it ruins the lives of those left, the hole that is there daily. Wish we had some new clues to go on.

From Dan’s dossier:

The search for Esther commenced at first light on Thursday 26th November, the morning after she was due to return to the motorhome in Benasque, with search teams deployed in both France and Spain, some walking with dogs and some in helicopters flying over the area. These are highly trained, highly proficient experts who have been working in this specific area of the mountains for many years. They know the terrain and locations that are likely to cause difficult for hikers.

For the first two days of the search, visibility on Pic de Sauvegarde was hampered slightly by a light dusting of snow and some cloud, although nothing that prevented the search teams ascending the routes from both sides of the mountain and the helicopters could still see most of the mountainside.
From Saturday 27th – Tuesday 1st December, the sunny weather returned, the light dusting of snow mostly melted and visibility was excellent. In addition to continued search teams retracing Esther’s planned route and other nearby trails, helicopter search teams continued to fly up and down the slopes.

The Spanish police also spent a day scanning the slopes of Pic de Sauvegarde with high powered telescopes from the opposite side of the valley. At times literally dozens of search and rescue personnel were walking the trails looking for any trace of Esther or her equipment.

The focus of the search was Esther’s last known location, planned route and nearby alternatives, with searchers sweeping back and forth over the hillside away from the trails, literally looking under large rocks and descending into crevices in the landscape.

In addition to this immediate area, as the map below indicates, trails in a very wide surrounding area were also walked. For more distant trails, search teams on the ground were flown in with helicopters. Water bottles and a pair of gloves were found, indicating the closeness of the search, but nothing belonging to Esther.

Esther’s partner Dan, was in close communication with both the French and Spanish search teams on a daily basis, providing information on Esther’s preferences, ability, hiking pace and communication habits. He also walked and searched the hillsides around all of the trails in the immediate area of Esther’s last known location on the French side (walking alone so he could continue outside of standard SAR hours).
On Wednesday 2nd December heavy snow began to fall in the area...snip
Gosh, I didn’t know how intensive and massive the search was,.. especially as all those people were in lockdown themselves etc. Amazing work they did then. Sound like she isn’t there then, al least as several of you have just stated, she wasn’t on the trails she said she’d take. ... So possibly walked miles away on a new route. I hope so, abduction would be quite a rare thing to occur, with the only possibility I see as only by someone she had previously befriended. Poor Dan may never have closure, it ruins the lives of those left, the hole that is there daily. Wish we had some new clues to go on.
It's all a bit fishy tbh, hopefully the spring thaw will bring answers.
Yes, the coincidence with the BBC article on their wondering lifestyle.

The night before Esther disappeared, she was at the Cabane. Dan did not know where she was until the next afternoon because, supposedly, she was out of contact with him due to lack of Internet accessibility. Supposedly she had no signal anywhere she went in those 24+ hours.

This brings up another problem. If Esther had an accident or encountered a dangerous individual, when and where did this happen? Was it soon after descending the Pic...or that night at the Refuge...or the next day...or night...or day after that?

Knowing that she soon had to return to France and a winter of lockdown, was Esther totally immersed in the moment, in enjoying the wilderness she would soon have to leave? Maybe she was avoiding ‘checking in?” Dan did say that sometimes it could be days before he heard from her. Add in 2-3 days hiking and think how vast an area that covers! What little towns she might have “dipped into.”

Dan is a very intelligent man. He knows all this. He knows he is not setting off in the Spring to rescue Esther from her kidnappers. Personally, if she is found, I hope it’s by the professionals, to spare him that trauma. That wonderful smiling picture of Esther at the Pic would be a far more comforting last memory of the woman he loved.
Yes she appeared happy and carefree, a nice last picture.

Fairly sure we have not posted this article here yet (Mar. 2, 2021) : Boyfriend of missing hiker Esther Dingley says mystery surrounding her disappearance is 'agonising' as he vows to return to Pyrenees to launch fresh search - Olive Press News Spain

For those of us who've been digesting the details of this case for some time, I think you'd agree that the following are very, very odd statements from this press piece:

1. "The Oxford graduate vanished last November and shortly after video calling [DC] to say she had completed her solo hiking trip and reached the top of the 9,000ft Pic de Sauvegarde". [BBM since this is the first time we've seen this published by the media - to date we've thought ED was in the middle of a multi-day trek].

2. "[ED] had been set to return to the village of Benasque, in the Spanish part of the Pyrenees, after a four-week solo trek, three days before she vanished". [BBM since this is the first time we've seen this published by the media - in fact, how does anyone know when ED actually vanished? Was she due in Benasque 22/11?]

There may be other oddities in this press piece, but the two I cited above were the most interesting as it relates to our understanding of the data to date.

And of course this could just be rubbish reporting... But since The Olive Press did ED/DC's puppy press piece, you'd think they'd be vested in getting the details right.

Fairly sure we have not posted this article here yet (Mar. 2, 2021) : Boyfriend of missing hiker Esther Dingley says mystery surrounding her disappearance is 'agonising' as he vows to return to Pyrenees to launch fresh search - Olive Press News Spain

For those of us who've been digesting the details of this case for some time, I think you'd agree that the following are very, very odd statements from this press piece:

1. "The Oxford graduate vanished last November and shortly after video calling [DC] to say she had completed her solo hiking trip and reached the top of the 9,000ft Pic de Sauvegarde". [BBM since this is the first time we've seen this published by the media - to date we've thought ED was in the middle of a multi-day trek].

2. "[ED] had been set to return to the village of Benasque, in the Spanish part of the Pyrenees, after a four-week solo trek, three days before she vanished". [BBM since this is the first time we've seen this published by the media - in fact, how does anyone know when ED actually vanished? Was she due in Benasque 22/11?]

There may be other oddities in this press piece, but the two I cited above were the most interesting as it relates to our understanding of the data to date.

And of course this could just be rubbish reporting... But since The Olive Press did ED/DC's puppy press piece, you'd think they'd be vested in getting the details right.
There was no "4-week solo trek", either. I think this publication is conflating day-hikes with the one overnighter ED did and the 4 weeks of traveling in the campervan without Dan. In the US, we call this "car camping", not a "trek", which involves ambulation.

Maybe the article follows a DC version that ED's "4-week solo trek" had ended, ED was to return to the village of Benasque, and then 3 days later she vanished after she extended her trip beyond the 4 weeks.

That piece also had the interesting idea that if you had an accident while on a trail in the mountains, you'd be found right near the trail. This seems to contravene the experienced LE/SAR's position. Consider that LE were using helicopters and it's unclear what trail(s) exactly ED was on, so they searched many square miles. A trip, tumble, or missed grab could cause you to zoom down a scree field or a glacier, fall into a lake or off a cliff...

In Sweden a man went missing during a run in in November in a popular national park outside Stockholm. There were many searches, several of them by his colleagues in the military, and/or Missing People Sweden, but no luck. His remains were found late February in a cave-like crevice by a man taking a shortcut.
Found Deceased - Sweden - Deniz Arda, 31, Sergeant Major, Stockholm, 13 November 2020

Perhaps ED had a fall and ended up in a similar place, difficult to see from a helicopter, or by a drone unless it passed exactly over her.

‘According to the dossier, she was in Bensaque three days before she vanished. The weather was bad so she stayed at the motor home. Then, she decided to take another trek. She did not go home to Dan. Even bad weather did not entice her to head home after 4 weeks.. That must have been disappointing to Dan.

‘ This article seems to indicate Dan had expectations that she’d come home at that earlier date.

Snipped for focus:

The article states "[ED] had been set to return to the village of Benasque, in the Spanish part of the Pyrenees, after a four-week solo trek, three days before she vanished".

Esther reportedly last communicated with DC on Nov. 22nd, and the above article states she vanished "shortly after." Three days before that would be Nov. 19th. Correct?

Wasn't Nov. 19th the day she posted on FB the weather was poor, and a fellow hiker who photographed her on the pic also gave her a lift back to the camper, in Benasque?

If that's the case, Esther did indeed return to Benasque "three days before she vanished." Correct?

The article may be wonky reporting, but it redirects my pondering to the possible involvement of the hiker in her disappearance.

The dossier was factual and well written and its intention was not to control the narrative around the disappearance. It gave us some of new information and cleared some things up. They have both spent a great deal of time together hiking, so I happen to take DC's opinion on ED seriously. He knows her best. People are free to draw their own conclusions.

where would i find the dossier?

The dossier was factual and well written and its intention was not to control the narrative around the disappearance. It gave us some of new information and cleared some things up. They have both spent a great deal of time together hiking, so I happen to take DC's opinion on ED seriously. He knows her best. People are free to draw their own conclusions.
IMO any piece of writing in the universe is designed to "control the narrative", unless maybe a scientific experiment write-up where there are protocols in place to minimize "controlling the narrative". Preventing "narrative control" by an author might include peer-review, standardized procedures, etc.; these are two requirements in the gold standard for "truth" in science.
Any writer makes choices, uses a point of view, leaves things out, edits, picks vocabulary, chooses a tone...... These are ALL methods of "controlling the narrative".

Just had another look through dossier.
Observations:
1. Is this the first time that a ‘dossier’ has been produced in such circumstances? I’ve never really heard of this kind of thing being produced. Usually the investigating team collects information snd stores it within the investigation. No need for such a document .. unless maybe it is to set a narrative for the public.

2. I find it slightly odd that, on page 3, there is no mention of Esther’s daily Facebook postings up to the 19th. Yet there is mention of when she posts to Instagram or makes WhatsApp calls. Why? Why omit reference to these. Is it to give the impression that Esther kept her family and boyfriend aware of her whereabouts?

Intended to or not, the dossier gives a slant on the narrative and context.

I'm trying to catch up on Esther's thread. I was gone from WS for a bit. My take is that she voluntarily went missing? What is the overall consensus of everyone here? Foul play, accident, or voluntary?
TIA

I'm trying to catch up on Esther's thread. I was gone from WS for a bit. My take is that she voluntarily went missing? What is the overall consensus of everyone here? Foul play, accident, or voluntary?
TIA

I imagine as we hold our individual hunches as to the reason for Esther's apparent disappearance, our notions may change, from day to day.
At least, that's been my personal experience.

Most often, I tend to believe she disappeared voluntarily, and is assisted in remaining out of public view and scrutiny by a new, or an old acquaintance.

This notion of mine has been decried by other sleuths, and I understand their reasoning: Esther wouldn't cause her loved ones the agony of not knowing if she is alive, or dead.

Whilst that argument has significant validity, we humans are complex creatures, and I do believe extreme circumstances can force us to choose extreme measures to support our emotional survival.

I imagine as we hold our individual hunches as to the reason for Esther's apparent disappearance, our notions may change, from day to day.

Most often, I tend to believe she disappeared voluntarily, and is assisted in remaining out of public view and scrutiny by a new, or an old acquaintance.

This notion of mine has been decried by other sleuths, and I understand their reasoning: Esther wouldn't cause her loved ones the agony of not knowing if she is alive, or dead.

Whilst that argument has significant validity, we humans are complex creatures, and I do believe extreme circumstances can force us to choose extreme measures to support our emotional survival.

Perfectly said...
"Whilst that argument has significant validity, we humans are complex creatures, and I do believe extreme circumstances can force us to choose extreme measures to support our emotional survival"

I can see the need/benefit for ED to disappear voluntarily in November/December for her emotional/mental health, but if she did that, how long will she be able to be gone/missing, without any contacts with the outer world? If she comes back, I'm not sure it could be done in a "quiet" way, by a small notice that she has been found alive. If she was stressed about her situation before going missing, I can't see how she would get less stressed about the situation when getting back.
Today, it's more or less impossible to get a new (fake) identity (unless having criminal contacts I would guess), which would make it possible to travel, and move around. For ED to be without legal identity papers, it might work for a while, but there would only have to be one time when asked for identity papers, and the whole thing of being missing could be exposed as a lie.
If someone is helping her being hidden, for how long would it be voluntary for ED, without it becoming a prison for her, either mentally, or physical? I can't see ED staying in one place, without ever again getting in contact with her parents, or friends, or the possibility to see other people.
I know there are people who could join a cloistered religious community, and disappear from the world, and be happy with that kind of life, but I don't see ED as such a person. Well, maybe staying for a while, but not forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa