Spoke with KOIN News 6 and they said that Kyron's Body Has Not Been Found

What I don't understand is why, if this were just a rumor, would the KOIN story substantiate claims regarding the discovery of a body as "according to investigators" ... ? That would imply that whoever wrote the blurb had gained the info from a source more trustworthy than internet chatter. If this really is the result of an internet rumor gone wildly out of control, I will be surprised at the magnitude of it.

But was it a rumor if we read it on a news website before they pulled the article? If we can't trust the news sites and link here to the news sites without worrying about the articles they post being rumors...then where will we get any information at all?

When I got the link to the KOIN website and saw the headline I did not hesitate to post a thread here announcing it. When Jbean pointed out to me that when you clicked on the headline the link did not take you to the story we thought it best to remove the thread.

MSNBC will have headlines with no links on brand new breaking news so it does happen that headlines will be put up on news sites with nothing else.

That's why I called and found out it was not true. But I didn't hesitate to put up the headline on Websleuths. I should have and now have learned another lesson.

Someone else from our site called and was told that maybe they had the headline typed and ready to go just in case and it was accidentally put up on the site. That could be true too.

We'll wait and see.

http://www.koinlocal6.com/content/n...man-investigation/WPjHVDbfQkulpM6um9gubQ.cspx

PORTLAND, Ore. – The Internet may have made communication and access to information easier (at least more convenient), but www could stand for the Wild Wild West instead of World Wide Web when it comes to verification of rumors.

A sad case in point is a torrent of “news” swirling around the Kyron Horman investigation.

Multiple postings on multiple web sites claim multiple outcomes—some have various people arrested, others have various results to the search for the missing 2nd grader—all of which the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office have denounced

“The social networking sites with Twitter and Facebook, someone posts something and it gets out there,” said Mary Lindstrom with Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office. “There is a rumor out there that Kyron’s been found and someone’s been arrested. No, that has not happened. It’s not true.”

I like how they don't mention their own incorrect blurb.

I don't understand what's going on. We've all seen the media make mistakes in their reporting. So I would believe the statement from Sheriff's office over a news blurb. Those of you who have followed high profile cases are probably much more familiar with how these things go down. This is all just my opinion and I may be totally wrong.

When I got the link to the KOIN website and saw the headline I did not hesitate to post a thread here announcing it. When Jbean pointed out to me that when you clicked on the headline the link did not take you to the story we thought it best to remove the thread.

MSNBC will have headlines with no links on brand new breaking news so it does happen that headlines will be put up on news sites with nothing else.

That's why I called and found out it was not true. But I didn't hesitate to put up the headline on Websleuths. I should have and now have learned another lesson.

Someone else from our site called and was told that maybe they had the headline typed and ready to go just in case and it was accidentally put up on the site. That could be true too.

We'll wait and see.
Tricia I was the other person from here that called.. I talked to them more then once. first time to see if it was true ( Told no and told basically it was mistake typed out etc. They was trying to take it down but could not bc the guy that had typed it out had left.

Called back a couple more times to tell them if it's not true take it down. I let them know how it must effect family and even strangers to read something like this if its not true. Honestly I am heart broken over this. I may need to take a break after today!!

Me too, Kelly.

As a local, refreshing all the local news websites and waiting for a newscast is horrible.

Yes, it is. I am not a local but I have not been able to stay away from this case. I actually wish I had because I no longer believe there is any hope he is coming home safely. I would LOVE to somehow be wrong.

So, it could be an "ooops!" or it could be a "wait for it...."

I am going to take a wait and see from that statement “There is a rumor out there that Kyron’s been found and someone’s been arrested. No, that has not happened. It’s not true.”LE would not confirm at this time if it was Kyron (unless they have a positive ID), they may confirm a body is found, but they haven't (at this time). As far as an arrest, someone may have been taken in for questioning and officially not yet arrested or they may have chosen not to arrest the person. Too many questions still unfortunately.

What I don't understand is why, if this were just a rumor, would the KOIN story substantiate claims regarding the discovery of a body as "according to investigators" ... ? That would imply that whoever wrote the blurb had gained the info from a source more trustworthy than internet chatter. If this really is the result of an internet rumor gone wildly out of control, I will be surprised at the magnitude of it.

They might make it sound like they got their info from more reliable sources than they did.
Early in this case, a station in San Diego had Kyron's story on, and a newscaster gave a piece of information at the end, starting with, "Agents say . . . ." It was a piece of information I hadn't heard and would have been very interesting (if true), and I was about to post it, but was waiting for a link from their site. They never put up a link to that segment of their broadcast, even though they linked to all the other segments, and did replay the comment at 1 am.
Well, obviously, "agents" did not give information to a San Diego station that they gave nowhere else. I think the newscaster was just extrapolating from speculation she had read on the internet and got carried away.

That poor boy... i have a son who just finished 2nd grade and this just hits too close to home :(

I hope I am wrong in a way, but I just have a sick feeling it is a oops we were suppose to wait to post that...

what the heck.
just knowing this was posted on a news site... even if accidental, made me sick :(
Thanks for clarifying, Tricia.

Is this a mistake or an LE-to-media wink, wink, nudge, nudge?

So much smoke, so little fire.

:truce:

I give up.

Tricia I was the other person from here that called.. I talked to them more then once. first time to see if it was true ( Told no and told basically it was mistake typed out etc. They was trying to take it down but could not bc the guy that had typed it out had left.

Called back a couple more times to tell them if it's not true take it down. I let them know how it must effect family and even strangers to read something like this if its not true. Honestly I am heart broken over this. I may need to take a break after today!!

Thank you so much for doing this and reporting back to us. I can't imagine why they couldn't remove it quickly.

Could Le deny it... if they haven't got a positive id on a body(if one was found), even if they were pretty sure it is him?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ceishen637
Back