Terri Horman retains criminal defense attorney!

JAMES PITKIN, "WILLAMETTE WEEK": Well, today we had some new developments. There was the reports of the mysterious 911 call. We also have reports that the FBI is searching sex offenders in the area. There are 143 in this vicinity, and so they have a lot of work cut out for them.

GRACE: Could you repeat? Did you say 143 registered sex offenders there in the area?

PITKIN: In the Portland area, that`s correct, Nancy.

Seems to be considerably more than 143.

http://sexoffenders.oregon.gov/SorPublic/Web.dll/main

I am not Jade, but I would go defense attorney. Charges come up for innocent people too. Defense attorneys, or at least the best in your area, can handle the talking/not talking, know what is going on before you do, take care of any charges that come up. Scary world these days.

i hired a lawyer several years ago when i was evicting people living in my house. i think i would call him to ask his advice on who to hire and go from there.

Does she have to have an attorney present if she has not been classified as a suspect or POI? I mean why would you need an attorney if you're innocent and just answering questions to help in the search of your beloved step son?

Yeah, that's exactly what Kevin Fox thought. And look how that worked out for him--eight months in jail, name dragged through the mud, etc.

A person can be completely innocent and still not want to run the risk that the interrogation will turn coercive.

Likewise, if LE personnel have no intentions of straying over the line, why would they object to someone having their own attorney present to look after their own best interests?

Hi Merc, You're probably right. Allso, isn't the field of victim's legal rights somewhat a new area of expertise? I would think they would be very good at repairing the reputation of someone being looked at for a crime. xox

Yes. In my area victim's rights advocates are nothing more than a group of protesters at this point. The professional ones would be the ones that help the family of the murdered victim. Not the family of the murderer or any other type of civil crime. At least at this point in time. That is all still done by lawyers here. We are a bit behind the times in some areas though. Not California here.

i hired a lawyer several years ago when i was evicting people living in my house. i think i would call him to ask his advice on who to hire and go from there.

Yep, but ask who the best is regardless of cost. Hopefully none of us will ever need to though. Also, lots of people just go to criminal court, watch and listen, and see which one is the best. Usually, over the years, if you watch the news or read the paper you can get a glimmer.

I was thinking about Mark NeJame.

He came to the aid of George & Cindy when they were being hounded by the press, the webcam outside their home 24/7, protesters on their lawn...He said he just wanted to help people he saw as victims being victimized - help them manage the media - help them undertand their daughter (Casey's) legal issues and options so that they could better counsel Casey - help them with what they wanted to do for Caylee - help them with fundraising offers, Caylee sightings, searches, etc... Soon enough he dumped them, saying they did not want to accept his help, preferred to go against his advice.

He could have easily become Casey's attorney but he made it clear from the beginning he was not interested in representing Casey, just her parents. He knew tons about Casey's situation.

Something about Terri's situation, her stated cooperation and reluctance to seek an attorney earlier, and this eminent attorney, Houze, stepping up for her in her latest and dire time of need - made me think of this effort Mark NeJame made on behalf of Casey's parents at one time.

Could Terri be somehow caught-in-the-middle-involved rather than final suspect? :waitasec:

Just noodling...

I'm out the door in a few, but am thinking everything has changed now that Terri hired Mr Houze.

LE might have known it was coming with all the emphasis put on Terri what with the questionaire, etc. I read the way this attny works is the client being guilty doesn't matter - he wants to get them the best deal he can and believes in rehabilitation. I read it is common his clients admit their involvement in a crime. Most lawyers do not want to know if their client is guilty, and don't ever ask them.

So if I were a betting gal I'd say we should expect some kind of confession from Terri thru her lawyer and then her impending arrest will have conditions agreed to before the confession is given. Probably that she will not be incarcerated but rather released on her own recog.

Just sayin' as I have no idea, but think this will be handled in an unusual way, just fittiing with the case we have commented on already as being one that doesn't fit the norm. MOO

See y'all tonight !

The hiring of an attorney seems to be a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" type of thing. No matter which way you decide to go, there are going to be people questioning your actions.

Who knows; he seems to think so...can't see any harm.

Speaking of dogs..Have cadaver dogs been brought in to search.. I can't recall ever hearing they have been.... Does anyone know?

Hi everyone. This is my first time posting, but I've been a long time lurker. Kyron's case has certainly pulled at my heartstrings & I hope he is found soon. I can't wait to see if her attorney will be making any statements to the press.

My mother had Bloodhounds when I was growing up. I remember that one of the famous Bloodhounds from the early 1900s tracked over 600 subjects & one trail over 100 hours old. My fiance & I have Weimaraners, now, & while they have an excellent nose, it can't compare to a bloodhound's. The dog that our blue weims are descended from was a very prolific & well known tracker in his lifetime, Casar von Gaiburg. There are stories & newspaper articles of him tracking cases that were 9 or 10 days old, & in some cases it's said he was more accurate than LE.

My fiance is a vet & he says that the canine nose & it's effectiveness is still somewhat a mystery. So, it might be possible for a dog to trail the scent of a person missing for 4 weeks, but after that long & especially depending on the weather I doubt it'd be very likely. I would think that a cadaver dog would be more effective. IMO it certainly couldn't hurt anything for LE to call in a couple of them just in case.

Is Teri's new criminal attorney allowed access to anything the police have? She is not charged with anything. Can a criminal attorney have access to the RO or must it be a divorce attorney?

Is Teri's new criminal attorney allowed access to anything the police have? She is not charged with anything. Can a criminal attorney have access to the RO or must it be a divorce attorney?

In the divorce/ro thread, the link was posted to the order restricting access to the file. Terri is allowed access, IIRC, so it would seem her attorney would have access as well.

Did you guys notice on Oregonlive all the RDSQRL posts are now gone except for one that now seems shorter than it previously was? I think that really does confirm that was her posting probably lawyering up she was instructed to take them down? What do you guys think? The one she left up or edited seems reviewed by an attorney and deemed appropriate...? It's the one discussed on the news but it is shortened.

She's not charged so - yes if LE gives it to her attny, but no, not entitled.

Terri herself is entitled to the RO; I would think she'd share it with whoever she likes.

IMO

Terri should have hired an attorney immediately following the first poly, when speculation first began that she failed it. IMO that was the first indication that someone within LE leaked information. Reason being (again moo), to apply pressure to Terri. I actually have my doubts that Terri actually failed the poly, but rather, it was inconclusive. I initially supported Terri. After seeing Desiree's televised plea asking her (TH) to cooperate with LE, I became far less certain. The one and only thing that I remain certain of is that there is too much of an incentive in this case for LE AND the school to point/re-direct elsewhere. With that said, if Terri is involved/guilty of harming Kyron, I want her arrested and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law just like everybody else.
JMHO~

Honestly, I think if TH never says a word, I find it highly doubtful that they can pin this on her. She obviously goofed up by making "Going to the Gym" comments and acting as if she was happy Kyron was gone, but I'm not sure if that is enough to get a conviction.

She wasn't as stupid as Casey Anthony (driving around town with a dead body in the trunk), and I think she planned this well enough so that the body would be extremely difficult to find. (I personally don't believe it is in the water -- too risky it would rise)

Threadiquitte hasn't changed to allow sleuthing financial matters. Read the rules and don't do it again!

Forgive me, but I've been at WS for a long time, and we have definitely considered, and linked to, financial info in the past. Something new?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back