Terri obtained new cell phones from friends to avoid investigator's scrutiny

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to imagine myself in Terri's shoes and think why I would need a "Bat phone?" If I am innocent and have told LS all I know....I'll admit I wouldn't be crazy about "listeners" on my phone..but whatever could they hear that I would fear?

I have told them everything ..so they are not going to hear anything I withheld or suppressed.

I have no secrets so they are not going to hear secrets.

Maybe I want to cry and bash Kaine and Desiree, but that would be in keeping with my innocence.

Maybe I want to vent about the unfairness of being suspected, but that also reaffirms innocence and is nothing to hide.

Maybe I want to call special friends, but I've told LS who all my friends are anyway.

So what is my motivation?

The only thing I can think of is wanting so much to do something (sexting) that if overheard might damage my reputation somewhat. But then this speaks to self-control. And priorities. Is anything of this nature more important than a possible clue that might come from someone talking TO ME? Is my "release" more important than what might lea to finding Kyron.

Because if I'm innocent, I might still get a call from someone who might let something slip that leads to this precious child's return.

I would HATE having my privacy invaded...but it's a small enough thing to ask if there is even the slightest chance to help find Kyron.

IMO, this switcheroo is either further proof that Terri has something to hide...or that her own needs come before Kyron.

There's no harm to her if she's not hiding anything. Is there? Just inconvenience....

Just my opinion...

BBM - exactly! Terri was the last person to see Kyron (if innocent) besides the kidnapper. What if he/she calls her? Calls to taunt her? Calls to play a sick sadistic game, as some serial killers do? Did Kyron know Terri's phone number for emergencies? My daughter has known my cell number from an early age - could Kyron have his primary care giver's number memorized?

All of this feels so icky.

We can come up with innocent reasons for each individual thing she does, but taken all together they just don't feel innocent.

That makes sense if she is a suspect. Which she pretty much is.

No, she's not a suspect.

And you don't have to be one in order to have an attorney, and to have all contact done through the attorney. And if the attorney advises you to do or not do this or that,that's the way LE has to play it.

I'm trying to imagine myself in Terri's shoes and think why I would need a "Bat phone?" If I am innocent and have told LS all I know....I'll admit I wouldn't be crazy about "listeners" on my phone..but whatever could they hear that I would fear?

sbm

I don't know... it's not fear. If I was totally innocent I think I'd be even more ticked off if I found out I was being *spied* on.

That listening through the speaker thing really creeps me out.

No, she's not a suspect.

She's not just a suspect/POI, she's the suspect/POI. The majority of the public thinks she is, her family (Kaine, Desiree, Tony and her dad) thinks she is, LE is obviously leaning that way even if they won't come out and say it, and I guarantee you that Terri feels like she is the main suspect.

No, she's not a suspect.

And you don't have to be one in order to have an attorney, and to have all contact done through the attorney. And if the attorney advises you to do or not do this or that,that's the way LE has to play it.

But she is a suspect (they haven't ruled anyone out) whether she's been officially named THE suspect or not yet. Just as Scott Peterson was the subject of their investigation (suspect) well before they were prepared to officially announce him as THE official, legally named suspect. Just like someone is legally innocent until proven guilty but factually guilty from the moment they commit a crime.

Also, I said it "makes sense" if she is guilty that she would not be willing to speak directly to LE. I said nothing at all about her right to have an attorney. It simply makes sense for someone who is being investigated in the same manner a suspect would be to stop speaking to LE and to communicate through an attorney.

Personally, I would use 2 phones. Keep the old one in case a kidnapper or whatever called, and use a bat phone for talking with my attorney. The article doesn't mention if the original phone was functional or not*, and whethor or not she was using both. Not sure KH would have had the original number dropped.

*There's a lot about this article that bothers me. I am still quite uncomfortable with the "sources" issue of the article I mentioned before.

A big MOOO!

BBM - exactly! Terri was the last person to see Kyron (if innocent) besides the kidnapper. What if he/she calls her? Calls to taunt her? Calls to play a sick sadistic game, as some serial killers do? Did Kyron know Terri's phone number for emergencies? My daughter has known my cell number from an early age - could Kyron have his primary care giver's number memorized?

All of this feels so icky.

We can come up with innocent reasons for each individual thing she does, but taken all together they just don't feel innocent.

Was there something that indicated Terri's existing phone contact was severed at the time she allegedly got these throwaways so that a kidnapper etc couldn't contact her?

If this is true, it would make sense that maybe the "friends" helped with the phones because Terri has no $. How else can she communicate with her lawyer besides in person? I'm with whoever had said that her attorney probably advised her to get a new phone.

Was there something that indicated Terri's existing phone contact was severed at the time she allegedly got these throwaways so that a kidnapper etc couldn't contact her?

Yes; the speculation on this thread that I was responding to regarding Kaine cutting off her cell phone upon initiation of divorce.

Always. I'd say "bug my phone, read my phone, have at it." Always.

And from a strictly selfish viewpoint this would work as well. Being open with LE now may prevent someone from having zero privacy in prison, later.

I have told them everything ..so they are not going to hear anything I withheld or suppressed.

I have no secrets so they are not going to hear secrets.

Maybe I want to cry and bash Kaine and Desiree, but that would be in keeping with my innocence.

Maybe I want to vent about the unfairness of being suspected, but that also reaffirms innocence and is nothing to hide.

Maybe I want to call special friends, but I've told LS who all my friends are anyway.

So what is my motivation?

The only thing I can think of is wanting so much to do something (sexting) that if overheard might damage my reputation somewhat. But then this speaks to self-control. And priorities. Is anything of this nature more important than a possible clue that might come from someone talking TO ME? Is my "release" more important than what might lead to finding Kyron.

Because if I'm innocent, I might still get a call from someone who might let something slip that leads to this precious child's return.

I would HATE having my privacy invaded...but it's a small enough thing to ask if there is even the slightest chance to help find Kyron.

IMO, this switcheroo is either further proof that Terri has something to hide...or that her own needs come before Kyron.

There's no harm to her if she's not hiding anything. Is there? Just inconvenience....

Just my opinion...

Really? We all talk to friends and family about our troubles, and personal affairs. So, if a friend calls you to talk about something very personal, you wouldn't mind having those details be monitored and possibly become public? Are you going to advise your friends before each and every conversation that anything you say might be intercepted and recorded?

Are you sure that you really want everything in your life, and that of your friends and family, to not be private, but accessible? Say your daughter is in the hospital on emergency status, your BFF calls, or your minister, and you're so upset and you ask for help not only because of her health but because she's there because of a serious problem after an abortion? And maybe she's a minor child, too? You're willing to have that information be accessible?

Please understand that when I say "you" I am *not* meaning you, personally. Not at all. I am using "you" in a theoretical sense for purposes of discussion.

And frankly, I have never known anyone who doesn't have any secrets at all. I've even lived part of my life in front of media (and while in media was a well-known "personality" with my face all over town!) and I can tell you--I'm open, I'm honest, and I have secrets that are none of anybody's business. Except those who I decide to confide in.

And today, no one keeps their worries and their personal conversations restricted only to face-to-face. That time is long past.

Sorry for the length, but I think that whatever bits of privacy are left to us are something that we shouldn't give away. I understand the "I have nothing to hide", as I've said that myself, in theory, but in reality--even something innocuous, if taken out of context, can sound awful.

Let's say I have a friend who's such an activist that friends laughingly refer to her as a "zoning law terrorist" because she gives the city heck all the time. So one day I say on the phone "I can't believe this! I gotta go 'cause I have to pick my terrorist friend up at the airport. She's only here long enough to drop off a package and then she's outta the country.

I'm speaking to a friend who's part of that circle. She knows who I'm taking about, a 75-year-old activist who's dropping off a package of care items for our prenatal unit and visiting friends before heading off to France for her annual vacation.

What comes out of that, that gets picked up and leaked is "Kat010 was overheard discussing plans for a terrorist to drop off a package." Well, kiss my reputation goodbye!

I know that sounds exaggerated--but it's not really in this day of snooping. And we all have personal conversations. We all have words that we use for kidding around in certain circles.

You're a better woman than I am. I mean that sincerely; I couldn't stand for that.

Awwww thanks my friend, I would just want the child found, nothing is more precious than our children, including privacy I know It would be a PITA the have your life laid out for everyone to see but if I was innocent, I would not care, my heart is breaking for these parents and I would never want to walk in thier shoes

If Terri put up bathroom curtains, people would say she's hiding something. She's experienced a collateral loss of (sexual) privacy that the others haven't.

But she is a suspect (they haven't ruled anyone out) whether she's been officially named THE suspect or not yet. Just as Scott Peterson was the subject of their investigation (suspect) well before they were prepared to officially announce him as THE official, legally named suspect. Just like someone is legally innocent until proven guilty but factually guilty from the moment they commit a crime.

Also, I said it "makes sense" if she is guilty that she would not be willing to speak directly to LE. I said nothing at all about her right to have an attorney. It simply makes sense for someone who is being investigated in the same manner a suspect would be to stop speaking to LE and to communicate through an attorney.

If they haven't ruled *anyone*out, then let's compile a suspect list based on that provision. Wow. There are going to be some interesting names on it! :)

Respectfully, I disagree with the premise that because you acquire a lawyer instead of talking to LE diectly is an indication of guilt. We've had long discussions here at WS about our right to an attorney, and BeanE has posted information on videos where both an attorney and a cop tell people not to talk to LE without an attorney present. The first video in that series forthrightly addresses the "but it will seem like I'm guilty if I get a lawyer" viewpoint.

I ride with the cops on patrol when I can. I support LE. But if it were anything other than say, being a witness to a fender-bender, or what I'm legally required to potentially testify to in court if a case we're goes to court and they need me, I would "lawyer up" if asked to discuss say, a felony level crime. And after seeing what's happened in this case, I'd run to call the lawyer. (An aside--one of the legal responsibilities I take on and sign a binding document to is to be a witness for an incident in court for anything that happens while I'm on patrol with LE. Which means I've also signed away my right to an attorney in that instance.)

we all have our opinions on if we believe "source" in this case.

I am a believer.

With that being said, I find the wording interesting (from article in post one):

Investigators have been focusing on Terri Moulton Horman's close circle of friends after learning that one of them obtained new cell phones for her

sure sounds like the purchase of the bat phones was what started the "look see" into her friends. And then they found more... (dds having holes in her timeline, etc).

Makes sense to me...

If Terri put up bathroom curtains, people would say she's hiding something. She's experienced a collateral loss of (sexual) privacy that the others haven't.

Aww, poor thing, she lost her sexual privacy, and Kaine and Desiree have lost their child. What is more important here?

If this is true, it would make sense that maybe the "friends" helped with the phones because Terri has no $. How else can she communicate with her lawyer besides in person? I'm with whoever had said that her attorney probably advised her to get a new phone.

It would have been a lot less suspicious had her parents helped her or her attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa