Theory #1: Stranger Abduction by the "Couple in the Car"

I guess I should have called in the first place but I was unsure if I was overthinking this. I can tell you my attempted kidnapping and Michaela's has scarred me for life. I have a daughter of mine own and I never let her out of my sight. I use to go to school with Michaela's Best Friend's brother. It was her BF who was with her at the time this all happened.

Welcome to WS John!
Thank you for your input.

Cubby

Dr. Doogie, I just sent an email to the detective, Michaela's Mom and you detailing what we discussed above.

Just got a response from the FBI

"John:

Thank you very much for the information. We are definately investigating whether Garrido could be involved in any of the other missing children cases in the Bay Area, including Michaela's case. I appreciate you getting in touch with us!"

Marty Parker
FBI - Oakland

PhilipG.jpg

This sounds like the crime occured in 1976. I wonder if there was a second (third?) earlier kidnapping in 1971 or if the 1971 date is just a mistake.

Where do you see 1971. In that case the crime happened in 1976 and he was sentenced in 1977. Or so I have read.

Where do you see 1971. In that case the crime happened in 1976 and he was sentenced in 1977. Or so I have read.

John, welcome and thanks for your input. Regarding the 1971 date, see Post 441 on the next thread: The man's brother, according to an interview in this morning's San Francisco Chronicle, says he was convicted of kidnapping and rape in 1971.

I heard 1971 on the radio this afternoon also. I'm unsure if that is an incorrect date or he has an additional conviction prior to the conviction in 1977. It could be his brother got the years mixed up?

Hi Cubby,

Here's the info you wanted from Ancestry.

Phillip Craig Garrido, married Christine Marie Perreira 11 March 1973 in Navada (interesting year ?) and divorced 20 October 1980 in CA. No record of any children from the marriage.

The Market St address is 1855 Market St, Reno.

Their are also a couple of public records that appear to be for him. If you want me to post them or look up anything on Ancestry, just let me know

Additional 'timeline' information for Phillip Garrido. The above marriage record Ozzie was so kind to provide us places PG in NV in March of 1973. Found the following link over in the Dugard forum in the 'other victims' thread. (thanks to new WS member snappingturtle for the link and info!)

http://www.rgj.com/article/20090831/NEWS/90831044/1321/news

From the article: "Garrido’s relatives, contacted Monday, said Phillip Garrido moved to Reno from California when he was about 19 years old. That places him in the area when Lass disappeared in 1970."

Ron Garrido, the suspect’s brother, told the San Francisco Chronicle this week that the brothers grew up in Brentwood, Calif., with their parents, Manuel and Pat Garrido. Their childhood was relatively unremarkable, he said, until Phillip Garrido began acting out, using LSD and dealing drugs.

Phillip Garrido graduated from Liberty High School in 1969 and moved to Reno shortly afterward, his brother said. He fled California after learning that fellow drug dealers “had a contract out on him,” Ron Garrido said.

This pretty much puts Garrido in the Reno/NV area from 70 until his arrest in 76 and incarceration in 77. Unless he was 'vacationing' in the Bay area in Jan 73, this makes it unlikely, not impossible, but unlikely he was involved in Anna's disappearance. (IMO).

I've yet to see any information that he was travelling between CA and NV in the early 70's. If I happen to see any info substanciating that possiblity will add it.

ETA: Hmmmm... I wonder if Garrido's relatives would 'welcome' a call or email? from Dr. Doogie inquiring if Garrido had visited the family for holidays in the 70's. Especially since Anna's disappearance occured shortly after the holidays ended. Dr. Doogie would you be up for this if we can find a way to make contact? How far is Brentwood from HMB?

thanks......

Hi Cubby,

Just to clarify, the marriage record states his place of residence as California (see below).

Name: Phillip Craig Garrido
Residence State: California
Spouse: Christine Marie Perreira
Spouse residence state: California
Marriage Date: 11 Mar 1973
Marriage City: Carson City
Officiant type: Religious celebrant
Recorded Date: 16 Mar 1973
Recorded city: Carson City

As I mentioned in my previous post, ther are also 2 public records that appear to be for him too (see below).

Name: Phillip C Garrido
Birth Date: 1956
Address: Rr 1 Pob 397e, Antioch, California 94509-0801 (1993)
[Rr 1 Pob 396e, Antioch, California 94509-0701 (1989)]
[1554 Walnut Av, Antioch, California 94509]

Name: Phillip C Garrido
Address: 490 04597jr4 Nca #09189, Antioch, California 94509-0801 (1993)
[1554 Walnut Av, Antioch, California 94509-1101 (1992)]
[Rr 1 Pob 397e, Antioch, California 94509]

These mean nothing to me but maybe someone can check them out to see if they are relevent.

I have read a lot about this monster Girrido and Jaycee is the youngest of his confirmed victims. He was accused of raping a 14 year old, convicted of raping a 25 year old and picked up 2 14 year olds from a library. However, there is nothing to really indicate that he had any interest in very young children apart from one comment that stated, when he was working at a school he seemed to watch girls between 7 and 10 years old. Is he a pedo or another a sicko rapist. Did Jaycee look her age or older when she was abducted?

I am certainly not a criminalogist but from all the reading I have done on crime, these creeps normally have an MO and Anna doesn't seem to fit his.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I have read a lot about this monster Girrido and Jaycee is the youngest of his confirmed victims. He was accused of raping a 14 year old, convicted of raping a 25 year old and picked up 2 14 year olds from a library. However, there is nothing to really indicate that he had any interest in very young children apart from one comment that stated, when he was working at a school he seemed to watch girls between 7 and 10 years old. Is he a pedo or another a sicko rapist. Did Jaycee look her age or older when she was abducted?

I am certainly not a criminalogist but from all the reading I have done on crime, these creeps normally have an MO and Anna doesn't seem to fit his.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
OzzieMum, it's great to find your posts when it is very late here. I wonder what the time difference is. Gerry Nash, Anna's caseworker at the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, says that when children under the age of about six are abducted, it is usually by someone who wants a child to raise and not to exploit. I have found this heartening.

Hi Annasmon,

It's 5:36 pm Sunday here, so we are 17 hours ahead.

That is really good info to hear from Gerry Nash and you should definately be heartened by it.

I just hope that people don't get too sidetracked by Garrido, like I said, Anna doesn't seem to fit his MO.

I think viewing Jaycee's return as a good opportunity to highlight Anna's case and the many other missing children is the main thing to look at.

Ozziemum:

I generally agree with your assessment. I was much more interested in Garrido when the possibility existed that he and Nancy may have been "The Couple in the Car". Now that we know that he was in the general area - but not operating with a woman accomplaice - at that time, he was just one of far too many RSO's walking the streets. He may have been involved, but so could hundreds or thousands of other RSO's been responsible.

And the renewed interest in missing children by the media is something that we need to use to our advantage. We can build on this interest to further spread word about Anna's case.

And the renewed interest in missing children by the media is something that we need to use to our advantage. We can build on this interest to further spread word about Anna's case.

Yes Dr. Doogie - The Duggard case is what brought me here and I definitely think that you and Anna should make the most of the renewed interest that this case has brought! I hope that many people do come here with a renewed sense of HOPE!

MOO

Ozziemum:

I generally agree with your assessment. I was much more interested in Garrido when the possibility existed that he and Nancy may have been "The Couple in the Car". Now that we know that he was in the general area - but not operating with a woman accomplaice - at that time, he was just one of far too many RSO's walking the streets. He may have been involved, but so could hundreds or thousands of other RSO's been responsible.

Hi Dr Doogie,

I know there is a photo of Garrido's first wife when she was at school, but has anyone seen a photo of her around the time she married Garrido in March 1973 and compaired it to the scetch of the stranger in the car?

Just thinking out loud here, but Garrido talked NG into helping abduct Jaycee and in her own words his first wife said;

"Phil's a good manipulator," Murphy says in the interview. "He could talk you into pretty much anything." Murphy says it was not long before he began to physically abuse her.

Has she been interviewed in relation to Anna?

Hi Dr Doogie,

I know there is a photo of Garrido's first wife when she was at school, but has anyone seen a photo of her around the time she married Garrido in March 1973 and compaired it to the scetch of the stranger in the car?

Just thinking out loud here, but Garrido talked NG into helping abduct Jaycee and in her own words his first wife said;

"Phil's a good manipulator," Murphy says in the interview. "He could talk you into pretty much anything." Murphy says it was not long before he began to physically abuse her.

Has she been interviewed in relation to Anna?

Thanks Ozzie Mum. I'm not Doogie, but those are some good idea's. It is possible that PG's first wife could have been in the car and been unaware of PG's intentions of abducting a child..... and riding along with him innocently thinking he was only interested in giving a child a ride in a car. Especially since she didn't realize what kind of an animal he really was until she divorced him in the later 70's.

There are some pic's floating around of what PG's first wife looked like in HS. But unsure if any have been found about the time they married.

If possible, I think it is a fantastic idea for Doogie to see if he can make contact with PG's first wife regarding Anna's case, and ask her if PG was ever around the coast aka Coastside or the HMB area.

How about trying Doogie?

Thanks for the fantastic idea OzzieMum!

OzzieMum, it's great to find your posts when it is very late here. I wonder what the time difference is. Gerry Nash, Anna's caseworker at the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, says that when children under the age of about six are abducted, it is usually by someone who wants a child to raise and not to exploit. I have found this heartening.

Annasmom, I've just started reading thru these threads and haven't wanted to post anything so that I wouldn't repeat anything that has already been said or looked at. I agree, my first impression was that Anna's age seemed more like taking a child to raise. I also wondered about the couple in the car a month previously... my thoughts were they may have been around the school picking out a child...followed the bus to where the child was let out. Then watched off and on for an opportune moment.

At this time I'm not discrediting the George's which I need to read more up on, as they could have led this couple to Anna. They would still need to watch the routine for a time to take her. From what I read so far it does not seem that the George's would have that information.

I wonder if LE discussed with any of the staff or older children at the school or the bus driver of any cars that seemed to be out of place, like unusal?

Also, as I read I think of things like cross border crossing. I was born in 62, a Canadian and my parents were turned away at the border when I was around 4 yrs old because I did 'not' resemble them in the least and they didn't have my id.. yet that was it. Just turned them around. Yet less then starting a couple of years later my brothers American girlfriend (now my sister-in-law) took me over a number of times without any issues. Just said I was her boyfriends sister. Guess I'm getting at that in those day's it wasn't that difficult depending on which Customs Officer you got and what your story was and if the child remotely resemble you. Annasbro mentioned Michigan plates as a possibility and that's one of the borders I'm speaking of.

All this may have been brought up, yet I'd like to see the public awareness of Jaycee's case work for you in getting Anna's picture out again, maybe info about the this car and couple. A picture of Anna when taken and a age-progressed (perhaps with varying lengths of hair & hair colour) There's always a good chance someone may recall a young couple with a child visiting or moving into their neighborhood.

Is there any possibility to have Dateline or other to do an episode with this case. I have no idea how you could go about it... but it sure would be an avenue. There are so many people that may not be aware of Anna's case still for many reasons. Someone knows something out there even after all this time. I pray for you to find your daughter.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Champ86
Back