Found Deceased TN - Eliza "Liza" Fletcher, 34, Abducted While Jogging, Memphis, 2022 *arrest* #5

What exactly does this "doing away with cash bail" mean?
I read the article but I still do not understand :oops:
No bail before trial?

The idea of bonding can get really complicated. I think I've noticed your comments on the British threads. Do you live in Britain? I know it's done differently over there.

Basically the idea of a cash bond (also called a bail bond) is to ensure that a defendant shows up for a trial rather than going on the run and ignoring their trial.

Often a defendant who is charged with a petty crime will be released from jail without paying anything if they promise to show up for their trial. This is called a "personal recognizance bond".

For serious felony charges a cash bond (some states call it an "appearance bond") is required. For example, a person who has been accused of drunk driving might have a bond of $10,000 before they can get out of jail. If they have the money or can raise the money it makes sense to pay the bond so they are not languishing in jail waiting their trial date. Because our courts are backed up it might take a year.

Paying a bond is not an admission of guilt, nor is it a fine. The defendant will have their money returned to them at the conclusion of the trial whether they are found guilty or innocent.

It looks to me like Illinois is going to release most all defendants from jail if they merely promise to show up for their trial, even if those crimes are serious felonies rather than just petty crimes.

The idea of bonding can get really complicated. I think I've noticed your comments on the British threads. Do you live in Britain? I know it's done differently over there.

Basically the idea of a cash bond (also called a bail bond) is to ensure that a defendant shows up for a trial rather than going on the run and ignoring their trial.

Often a defendant who is charged with a petty crime will be released from jail without paying anything if they promise to show up for their trial. This is called a "personal recognizance bond".

For serious felony charges a cash bond (some states call it an "appearance bond") is required. For example, a person who has been accused of drunk driving might have a bond of $10,000 before they can get out of jail. If they have the money or can raise the money it makes sense to pay the bond so they are not languishing in jail waiting their trial date. Because our courts are backed up it might take a year.

Paying a bond is not an admission of guilt, nor is it a fine. The defendant will have their money returned to them at the conclusion of the trial whether they are found guilty or innocent.

It looks to me like Illinois is going to release most all defendants from jail if they merely promise to show up for their trial, even if those crimes are serious felonies rather than just petty crimes.
Thank you :)
In fact, I live in central Europe, in Poland.
English is a foreign language for me.

We have a cash bond system in Poland as well.

So, it means that they want to abolish this system in Illinois, fearing it discriminates those who live in poverty, mainly black people.
That is what I understood - more or less.

We follow crime. We know there's no such thing as one size justice fits all. But I also think we need to educate others why no cash bail is a really bad idea.

In the US, individual states typically have a constitutional provision mirroring the federal Eighth Amendment prohibition on excessive bail.

There also are constitutional or statutory provisions that provide the “right to bail”—the right to be released from jail before trial after a defendant agrees to return for court.

Cash bail is an amount of money determined to be sufficient collateral to ensure an individual returns for their court appearances BUT ALSO REMAIN ARREST-FREE (i.e., not re-offend) while released from jail before the trial.

Generally, State Statutes provide that the Court shall have
discretion to set the amount of bail the defendant is required to post for release from jail.

One of the most vital factors influencing bail amount is the defendant's threat to the public, victims, and witnesses. If the judge feels that a person will compromise the public's safety, they may get a high bail amount or be held without bail.

In other words, by adopting a statute to do away with cash bail, Illinois, for example, is removing both the collateral and eliminating the discretion and authority given to the Judge to act in the interest of public safety.

IMO, the public is ill-served if legislators act to strip the Court from the duty to consider the following 7 factors generally considered when determining Bail. [ See link].

Wouldn't he have to register as a sex offender upon his release due to these crimes committed during incarceration?
In my experience, no. I’m sure it varies by State and is dependent on the exact “crime” committed while incarcerated. You’d be surprised at the things inmates do inside that would be abhorrent and intolerable if done outside. Unless it was very serious and the DA was willing to pursue “free word charges”, the inmate usually just received a written disciplinary report to be filed away with the others. I imagine that was the case with this monster.

This is just my experience and opinion on the matter!

Oh, I read the abrasions and contusions part. I didn't see that he shattered her leg, too. He could have used the gun there also. Being pistol whipped can cause serious devastation. Or, as you said, you could have used the ground, the vehicle, or any other hard surface. MOO
I can't edit my post. I meant Or, as you said, HE could have used the ground. Sorry about that.

We follow crime. We know there's no such thing as one size justice fits all. But I also think we need to educate others why no cash bail is a really bad idea.

I could be in IL in 15 minutes. We in St. Louis already have a high crime rate. I suppose we should be prepared for more criminals running the streets when this law goes into effect.

I could be in IL in 15 minutes. We in St. Louis already have a high crime rate. I suppose we should be prepared for more criminals running the streets when this law goes into effect.
What "genius" thought this SAFE-T Act was a good idea? He or she should be permanently selected as the one to make death notifications to the families of innocent victims. MOO SMH

Oct 19, 2022

"The man accused of kidnapping and killing Memphis mother Eliza Fletcher waived his preliminary hearings Wednesday, the Shelby County District Attorney’s Office said.

That means a grand jury will now consider the charges against Cleotha Abston-Henderson. If indicted, the case will move to criminal court.

Abston-Henderson is being held without bond pending indictment. He is charged with first-degree murder, especially aggravated kidnapping and tampering with evidence in Fletcher’s death."

Does CAH have TWO murder charges?
I see what you are seeing. Several of the charges are listed twice with different case numbers and an “H” in front of the number. I am thinking this is some type of way they code the cases?

Charge Information
Case #Offense DateCodeDescriptionGradeDegree
C220561809/21/202121027AGGRAVATED RAPEFA
C220561809/21/202121265ESPECIALLY AGGRAVATED KIDNAPPINGFA
C220561809/21/202127221UNLAWFUL CARRYING OR POSSESSION OF A WEAPONFB
2201830709/05/202227000THEFT OF PROPERTY $1000 OR LESSMA
C220561909/03/202227221UNLAWFUL CARRYING OR POSSESSION OF A WEAPONFB
2201822209/04/202221265ESPECIALLY AGGRAVATED KIDNAPPINGFA
2201822209/04/202221137TAMPERING WITH/FABRICATING EVIDENCEFC
2201822209/04/202221015FIRST DEGREE MURDERFM
2201827009/05/202222322IDENTITY THEFTFD
2201827009/05/202227000THEFT OF PROPERTY $1000 OR LESSMA