Found Deceased TN - Eliza "Liza" Fletcher, 34, Abducted While Jogging, Memphis, 2022 *arrest* #5

The idea of bonding can get really complicated. I think I've noticed your comments on the British threads. Do you live in Britain? I know it's done differently over there.

Basically the idea of a cash bond (also called a bail bond) is to ensure that a defendant shows up for a trial rather than going on the run and ignoring their trial.

Often a defendant who is charged with a petty crime will be released from jail without paying anything if they promise to show up for their trial. This is called a "personal recognizance bond".

For serious felony charges a cash bond (some states call it an "appearance bond") is required. For example, a person who has been accused of drunk driving might have a bond of $10,000 before they can get out of jail. If they have the money or can raise the money it makes sense to pay the bond so they are not languishing in jail waiting their trial date. Because our courts are backed up it might take a year.

Paying a bond is not an admission of guilt, nor is it a fine. The defendant will have their money returned to them at the conclusion of the trial whether they are found guilty or innocent.

It looks to me like Illinois is going to release most all defendants from jail if they merely promise to show up for their trial, even if those crimes are serious felonies rather than just petty crimes.
Yeah because it worked so well in California - Zero Bail Bill, Rejected by Voters, Awaiting Final Vote in Legislature - California Globe
Illinois should reconsider that move-

Thinking of Liza's kids tonight, I hope they are surrounded with love and comfort.

Eliza Fletcher murder: Groups seek special investigator to probe why suspect was free despite rape claims​

Advocacy groups seek special investigator to investigate why Fletcher's accused killer was not behind bars​

We follow crime. We know there's no such thing as one size justice fits all. But I also think we need to educate others why no cash bail is a really bad idea.

You're right and the problems are already beginning.

SAFE-T Act: What Happens When No One Is Watching

WGN News - Nov 17, 2022

Last edited:

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (WMC) - Criminal justice and victim advocacy groups want accountability and answers after the kidnapping and murder of Memphis jogger Eliza Fletcher.

Advocates say the system failed to protect her from Cleotha Abston-Henderson, the man accused in the case.

On Friday morning, Henderson will be back in court, but not for the Fletcher case.

He’s facing rape charges from another case. The victim, Alicia Franklin, is suing the City of Memphis for failing to investigate the 2021 case and subsequently failing to prevent Fletcher’s death.

A group of advocates say that’s an example of why the governor needs to take special action to make sure tragedies like these don’t happen again.

He was a bad apple, you know... what I mean is this guy was prone to do evil,” said Matthew Charles with the national criminal justice non-profit Families Against Mandatory Minimums (FAMM).

<modsnip: copyright>

Last edited by a moderator:
In the US, individual states typically have a constitutional provision mirroring the federal Eighth Amendment prohibition on excessive bail.

There also are constitutional or statutory provisions that provide the “right to bail”—the right to be released from jail before trial after a defendant agrees to return for court.

Cash bail is an amount of money determined to be sufficient collateral to ensure an individual returns for their court appearances BUT ALSO REMAIN ARREST-FREE (i.e., not re-offend) while released from jail before the trial.

Generally, State Statutes provide that the Court shall have
discretion to set the amount of bail the defendant is required to post for release from jail.

One of the most vital factors influencing bail amount is the defendant's threat to the public, victims, and witnesses. If the judge feels that a person will compromise the public's safety, they may get a high bail amount or be held without bail.

In other words, by adopting a statute to do away with cash bail, Illinois, for example, is removing both the collateral and eliminating the discretion and authority given to the Judge to act in the interest of public safety.

IMO, the public is ill-served if legislators act to strip the Court from the duty to consider the following 7 factors generally considered when determining Bail. [ See link].

Finally, some common sense in Illinois

Judge Rules Safe-T Act’s Elimination Of Cash Bail Unconstitutional

WGN News - Dec 29, 2022

Well well well…

Tuesday at a press conference, MPD police chief C.J. Davis couldn’t say if Henderson worked alone.

“It’s still early on,” Davis said. “We’re still uncovering various leads. This is an ongoing investigation and it’s a possibility, but at this time, no one else has been charged.”

Watson says watching the surveillance video leaves her feeling worried.

“What if they would do it (the crime) to someone out here?” she said. “It’s sad that they would bring that lady way over here and do something like that.”

Police say this is an ongoing investigation and have not confirmed another suspect at this time.

We do know that Henderson’s brother, Mario Abston, has been arrested on unrelated drug charges.

Memphis Police Chief's Gun Stolen From Vehicle In Cordova

WREG News Channel 3 - Jan 10, 2022

Crime in the Memphis area has become so blatant that C.J. Davis, the Memphis Chief of Police had her firearm stolen from her locked car.

Last edited:
"A convicted felon accused of raping and murdering schoolteacher Eliza Fletcher has pleaded not guilty to all charges related to her killing.

Cleotha Abston-Henderson, 38, was arraigned at Shelby County Criminal Court today on multiple charges – including the rape and abduction of another woman."

"A convicted felon accused of raping and murdering schoolteacher Eliza Fletcher has pleaded not guilty to all charges related to her killing.

Cleotha Abston-Henderson, 38, was arraigned at Shelby County Criminal Court today on multiple charges – including the rape and abduction of another woman."

From the quoted link:

Judge Lee Coffee' told Fletcher's family, who were in court, that the case would be a 'long journey'.

He said: 'This is going to be a long journey; these cases do not resolve themselves in a brief period of time.

'If this case goes to trial, it will probably be two to three years before it's actually tried. I hope we can compress it to less than that.'

The Shelby County District Attorney's Office has also filed a notice to seek enhanced punishment on the case so that it may file a notice to seek life in prison without the possibility of parole or even the death penalty.

From the quoted link:

Judge Lee Coffee' told Fletcher's family, who were in court, that the case would be a 'long journey'.

He said: 'This is going to be a long journey; these cases do not resolve themselves in a brief period of time.

'If this case goes to trial, it will probably be two to three years before it's actually tried. I hope we can compress it to less than that.'

The Shelby County District Attorney's Office has also filed a notice to seek enhanced punishment on the case so that it may file a notice to seek life in prison without the possibility of parole or even the death penalty
If anyone should ever get the Death Penalty, he should

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (WMC) - Criminal justice and victim advocacy groups want accountability and answers after the kidnapping and murder of Memphis jogger Eliza Fletcher.

Advocates say the system failed to protect her from Cleotha Abston-Henderson, the man accused in the case.

On Friday morning, Henderson will be back in court, but not for the Fletcher case.

He’s facing rape charges from another case. The victim, Alicia Franklin, is suing the City of Memphis for failing to investigate the 2021 case and subsequently failing to prevent Fletcher’s death.

A group of advocates say that’s an example of why the governor needs to take special action to make sure tragedies like these don’t happen again.

He was a bad apple, you know... what I mean is this guy was prone to do evil,” said Matthew Charles with the national criminal justice non-profit Families Against Mandatory Minimums (FAMM).

<modsnip: copyright>

Unfortunately, Alicia Franklin's lawsuit was dismissed. I think she deserves justice too.

Judge Denies Lawsuit From Victim Of Eliza Fletcher's Accused Killer Against The City Of Memphis

ABC24 Memphis - Mar 23, 2023

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back