Still Missing TN - Joseph "Joe Clyde" Daniels, 5, Dickson, 3 Apr 2018 *autistic* *arrests* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joseph Daniels 2021 trial date set, attorney seeks more publicity

no date on article...

The trial for Joseph Daniels, who is charged with criminal homicide in the 2018 death of his son, Joe Clyde, is now scheduled to start June 1.

Dickson County Circuit Court Judge David Wolfe in a video conference with Daniels, his attorney Jake Lockert, and District Attorney Ray Crouch, among others, set the trial start date. Also during the video meeting, Lockert briefly argued his motions, including asking Wolfe to allow Daniels’ attorneys to make their case public again.

Wolfe placed a gag order last year on the legal teams from speaking publicly about the trial.
[.....]
Wolfe asked Lockert if removing his gag order on the trial would disqualify more jurors since potentially more people would learn details about the case — and form a bias.

"No, your honor,” Lockert said. “We pick jurors all the time. And, if they are able to set aside what they've heard and be fair and impartial... we seat jurors all the time.”

Wolfe scheduled an in-person hearing to discuss Lockert’s motions for April 1.
[.....]
Though he set a trial date, Wolfe acknowledged that the state Supreme Court has already issued orders delaying jury trials, most recently until after March 31, due to COVID-19 precautions.

If the state Supreme Court’s jury trial suspension is extended that could affect the trial date for Daniels.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/j...ed-separately-when-case-goes-to-trial-in-june

March 4, 2021

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WTVF) — A big change is expected in the high-profile Joe Clyde Daniels case. NewsChannel 5 has learned that the boy’s parents are now expected to be tried separately instead of together.

The general understanding has always been that Joseph and Krystal Daniels would stand trial together. But now it appears there will be two trials, and the parents will be tried separately.
[.....]
"Some of the strongest evidence the state has are statements that each of them have made about the other," said NewsChannel 5 legal analyst Nick Leonardo

Early on, Krystal Daniels told the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation that she saw her husband standing over Joe Clyde, striking him the night he disappeared. Leonardo expects the prosecution will call on the TBI agent to testify again at trial as to what Krystal told him, which would be damaging testimony to Joseph.
[.....]
Leonardo says the prosecution cannot use a statement from one defendant, who won't take the stand, implicating the other in the very same trial. If the prosecution plans to use Krystal's words as expected, the judge must sever the case.

If the trials are separated, it’s unclear who would be tried first. But the thinking is Krystal Daniels would go first in June because her case is less complex.

Keep in mind, the judge has not yet issued the order, but Leonardo believes that it is coming soon.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/j...to-decide-which-parent-will-stand-trial-first

March 22, 2021
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WTVF) — There are new developments in the high-profile Joe Clyde Daniels case. This comes just weeks before a trial.

Both parents are charged in the case. It was thought the two parents would stand trial together but Joseph and Krystal Daniels will almost certainly be tried apart. It looks like the mother will go first.
[.....]
"In this case, they will probably go with Mrs. Daniels because it is the easier case to prove the child abuse versus murder," said legal analyst Nick Leonardo.

He said which case goes first is the prosecution's decision to make and there are three factors pointing to the mother.

First, there's a better chance of proving child neglect without a body than proving homicide.

Second, Krystal Daniels actually is seeking a speedy trial.
child neglect.a body than proving homicide.

Third, she can then serve as a witness against Joseph Daniel on the more serious charge.

"Some of the strongest evidence the state has are statements that each of them have made about the other," said Leonardo.

Keep in mind, there is little or no physical evidence to even prove that Joe Clyde is dead.
[.....]
A motion hearing to sort all this out is set for early next month. The first trial will begin on June 1.

Okay - I have April 1st as the next hearing.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/j...to-decide-which-parent-will-stand-trial-first

March 22, 2021
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WTVF) — There are new developments in the high-profile Joe Clyde Daniels case. This comes just weeks before a trial.

Both parents are charged in the case. It was thought the two parents would stand trial together but Joseph and Krystal Daniels will almost certainly be tried apart. It looks like the mother will go first.
[.....]
"In this case, they will probably go with Mrs. Daniels because it is the easier case to prove the child abuse versus murder," said legal analyst Nick Leonardo.

He said which case goes first is the prosecution's decision to make and there are three factors pointing to the mother.

First, there's a better chance of proving child neglect without a body than proving homicide.

child neglect.a body than proving homicide.

Third, she can then serve as a witness against Joseph Daniel on the more serious charge.

"Some of the strongest evidence the state has are statements that each of them have made about the other," said Leonardo.

Keep in mind, there is little or no physical evidence to even prove that Joe Clyde is dead.
[.....]
A motion hearing to sort all this out is set for early next month. The first trial will begin on June 1.

Okay - I have April 1st as the next hearing.

I saw an advertisement during Nashville's (local for me) Channel 5 News last night stating that they are covering the trial all day Thursday April 1st.

Sorry.... This should be the link to Nic Beres'S with NC5 Facebook page with an update on the hearing scheduled for tomorrow. However, for some reason However, for some reason it will not copy the link directly However, it will not copy the direct link correctly.

Thursday, April 1st:
*Motions Hearing for both (@ am ET) – TN – Joseph “Joe Clyde” Daniels III (5) (April 3, 2018, Dickson) – *Joseph Ray Daniels (28/now 30) “father” arrested & charged (4/7/18) & indicted (6/8/18) with 1 count of 1st degree murder, felony murder, aggravated child abuse, filing a false report & tampering with evidence. $1M bond.
Confessed on 4/6/18. Waived rights to Prelim hearing. Joseph Daniels told officers that he beat his son to death after his son urinated on the floor. But recanted his confession saying he was coerced.
*Krystal Nicole Daniels (27/now 29) “mom” arrested & charged (4/8/18) & indicted (6/8/18) with criminal responsibility aggravated child neglect & filing a false report. Charged (5/26/20) with criminal responsibility aggravated child neglect, accessory after the fact & making false reports to officers. $1M bond.
Trial set to begin 6/1/21 (thru 6/11/21) for Krystal.
Court hearings from 6/4/18 thru 1/20/21 reference post #678 here:
Still Missing - TN - Joseph "Joe Clyde" Daniels, 5, Dickson, 3 Apr 2018 *autistic* *arrests* #2

2/1/21 Update: The couple won't be divorcing which means they likely won't testify against each other because spousal privilege remains on the table - a large complication for prosecutors already heading to what will be a very high profile trial with very little physical evidence. Now, just months before a trial there seems little chance one partner can be forced to testify against the other. They are to be tried together, but Krystal requested a divorce to separate herself before trial. A hearing is scheduled on Feb. 8, 2021.
2/8/21 Update: A hearing was held Monday morning via Zoom, where Judge David Wolfe set the trial date for June 1. It's expected to continue until at least June 11, and a jury will be brought in from outside of the area. However, the trial date is contingent upon jury trials resuming by then after the Tennessee Supreme Court suspended in-person court proceedings due to the COVID-19 pandemic. An in-person hearing in the Daniels case is set for April 1.

Watching the trial on News Channel 5 plus...(its also on their web site @
https://www.newschannel5.com)
It's not looking good so far. The defense attorney is currently doing a decent job causing reasonable doubt while questioning the investigating officer, that also questioned the father.

ETA...The court has agreeded that they will be tried separately. The father will stand still June 1st. He will be the first to be tried.
That will be interesting if he is found innocent what charges will stick for the mother. I'm sure some type of neglect seeing he did "escape the home" ( as the defense attorney keeps driving somewhat point).

Last edited:
@Mimsy2 - it is not actually a "trial" today - just Motions hearing... :)

But thank you for the updates! Keep them coming if more info is available - like next court hearing date for either of them.
I'm aware it's just a motion hearing. They have set the trial date for Joesph for June 1.

ETA...Gag order is lifted and Obviously they will be tried separately so far. Still waiting to here of they are going to leave the confession in....its looking like a decent chance that they may.

@Mimsy2 - it is not actually a "trial" today - just Motions hearing... :)

But thank you for the updates! Keep them coming if more info is available - like next court hearing date for either of them.
I meant to type hearing but my grandson is here today and keeping me busy LOL.

I meant to type hearing but my grandson is here today and keeping me busy LOL.

That's okay! :) Thank you (again!) for those updates. No "next" court hearing date? I wouldn't ask if I could access the court site...

That's okay! :) Thank you (again!) for those updates. No "next" court hearing date? I wouldn't ask if I could access the court site...
They will be back in court to continue the motions hearing on April 6th. They are still hearing the motion on the confession and have several other motions to hear. One of the motions will be the motion for Krystals bond reduction( which she may very well get). It was found out during questioning that they have zero physical evidence to prove there was a crime....Zero. As well we all know there is no body. So keep your fingers cross on the confession staying. He did confess a few different times including the one where he states he was coerced. So there is hope for the confession staying in. They also will be bringing in a jury from outside the area for Joesph Clyde's trial due to everyone in that area pretty much believing the parents are quilty. We will learn more the 6th.

ETA...They are hear the motions for both currently but there trial.are severed. Krystal was present via Zoom but had no sound. Her face spoke a lot though she didn't seem happy with the sever of the trials. As we know that makes it possible for them to offer her a deal for her testimony against Joseph.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/j...ore-seen-video-expected-during-todays-hearing

Joseph Daniels will stand trial first on June 1.

Several motions were heard during Thursday's hearing in the Joe Clyde Daniels case and a handful more are expected when the hearing resumes next Tuesday.

New revelations and never-before-seen video are expected to be part of the hearings.

Judge David Wolfe also lifted the gag order in the case, meaning attorneys may now comment publicly about the case.

Other motions challenging evidence, including the father's confession, will also likely be heard during the hearing.

Tuesday, April 6th:
*Motions Hearing for both (@ am ET) – TN – Joseph “Joe Clyde” Daniels III (5) (April 3, 2018, Dickson) – *Joseph Ray Daniels (28/now 30) “father” arrested & charged (4/7/18) & indicted (6/8/18) with 1 count of 1st degree murder, felony murder, aggravated child abuse, filing a false report & tampering with evidence. $1M bond.
Confessed on 4/6/18. Waived rights to Prelim hearing. Joseph Daniels told officers that he beat his son to death after his son urinated on the floor. But recanted his confession saying he was coerced.
Trial set to begin on 6/1/21 for Joseph only.

*Krystal Nicole Daniels (27/now 29) “mom” arrested & charged (4/8/18) & indicted (6/8/18) with criminal responsibility aggravated child neglect & filing a false report. Charged (5/26/20) with criminal responsibility aggravated child neglect, accessory after the fact & making false reports to officers. $1M bond.
Court hearings from 6/4/18 thru 2/1/21 reference post #690 here:
Still Missing - TN - Joseph "Joe Clyde" Daniels, 5, Dickson, 3 Apr 2018 *autistic* *arrests* #2

2/8/21 Update: A hearing was held Monday morning via Zoom, where Judge David Wolfe set the trial date for June 1. It's expected to continue until at least June 11, and a jury will be brought in from outside of the area. However, the trial date is contingent upon jury trials resuming by then after the Tennessee Supreme Court suspended in-person court proceedings due to the COVID-19 pandemic. An in-person hearing in the Daniels case is set for April 1.
4/1/21 Update: Krystal was present via Zoom. Joseph in courtroom. Several motions were heard during Thursday's hearing in the Joe Clyde case. New revelations & never-before-seen video are expected to be part of the hearings. Circuit Court Judge David D. Wolfe also lifted the gag order in the case, meaning attorneys may now comment publicly about the case. Other motions challenging evidence, including the father's confession, will also likely be heard during the hearing. They will be back in court to continue the motions hearing on April 6th. They are still hearing the motion on the confession and have several other motions to hear. One of the motions will be the motion for Krystals bond reduction. The trials have been severed. They also will be bringing in a jury from outside the area for Joseph Daniels's trial which starts on 6/1/21 & Krystal’s will be set at a later date.

SEVERAL NEW DEVELOPMENTS IN THE HIGH PROFILE JOE CLYDE DANIELS CASE TODAY — this as the court prepares for the trial to begin on June first.
(Join me Facebook Live ... more on that in a minute.)
Here’s the latest from the day’s motions hearing at the Dickson County Courthouse:
— The father Joseph is charged with homicide and his case will be heard by a sequestered jury brought in from outside Dickson County.
— No damaging statements from Joseph’s wife Krystal can be used against him at trial.
She is also charged with child neglect ... and had told the TBI she saw her husband beating the boy the night he disappeared.
— A recorded phone call from Riverbend Prison was played in open court where Joseph tells his father Big Joe that Krystal smothered Joe Clyde to death with a pillow and then she threatened to kill him if he told anyone.
— The prosecution says Joseph confessed several times and is steadfast in prosecuting him and not his wife for murder.
— Joseph’s attorney got the TBI to admit no physical evidence was found of a murder in the home ... no blood.
Nothing.
— But District Attorney Ray Crouch says no evidence was found in the home because Joseph scrubbed the place clean before calling police to reort his son missing.
— Joseph’s attorney asked the judge to lower his one million dollar bond.
Request denied.
SO WHAT IS LEFT?
The key question now is of whether the confession will be allowed at trial?
The judge scheduled one more motions hearing next month to consider the issue.
CONFUSED?
QUESTIONS?
COMMENTS?
****Join me FACEBOOK LIVE right here around 5
p-m.
SHARE.

I Have thought all along that Krystal smothered baby Joe and that's the reason there is a lack of physical evidence ( blood). The fact that there was a pillow taken into evidence and Krystal has a history with the department of children's services, along with good old fashion gut instinct is what led me to believe this.

ETA... The above information was copied from Nick Beres's Facebook page. Try to post link directly to it but it still gives the log into Facebook link.
His page is: Nic Beres NC5

Nick Beres NC5

Nic Beres's Facebook Live gives updates on what happened today in court. Also gives the next court date (I believe May 21 if I remember correctly), for the continuance of the motion about his confession being allowed in the trial or not.

Actually next motions hearing is May 12th.... :)

Judge Wolfe scheduled another motions hearing next month to consider whether or not the confession will be allowed to be used as evidence in the trial. He's expected to issue a written ruling on the matter.

Judge David Wolfe ruled that no damaging statements from Joseph’s wife, Krystal Daniels, can be used against him at trial. She is charged with child neglect in the case and had told the Tennessee Bureua of Investigation she saw her husband beating the boy the night he disappeared.

Daniels' attorney asked Judge Wolfe to lower his one million dollar bond, but it was denied.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/j...f-fathers-confession-will-be-allowed-at-trial

The prosecution tried to prove there was no evidence Joe Clyde Daniels lived in the home. They say the home was forensically cleaned prior to the search; no toys, clothes, or other belongings were present and related to Joe Clyde. He even said their toothbrushes didn’t have any DNA evidence.

“I was shocked to hear that,” says Boyd. “That did surprise me that they used the same toothbrushes. But I would still expect, I could think of a plausible reasons, why DNA might not remain on a toothbrush after you brush your teeth and you rinse it off and such. But individuals that used that toothbrush recently, I would expect to find their DNA on that.”
Shocking jailhouse phone call played during Joseph Daniels hearing

Reminder: both parents failed their polygraphs.
Early in the proceedings Tuesday morning, Judge Wolfe agreed to the motion to sequester the jury in the trial for Joseph Daniels. Wolfe also ruled that the polygraph examination will be suppressed.
Baby Joe Clyde Daniels hearing Day 2 | WKRN News

Through tears, Joseph Daniels can be heard saying, “I don’t want to see him!”

In another excerpt of the recording played for the courtroom, Joseph Daniels says “My dad’s going to kill me.”

“Take a deep breathe, Joe,” one investigator says. “We’re not going to let anybody get to you.”

In between shrieks, Joseph Daniels says, “I want all the donations to go to his funeral” and “I just wanted him to be happy.”
'I don't want to see him': Joseph Daniels says to investigators on way to find son's body

I get that false confessions can and do happen but in this case Joseph gave multiple stories, confessing on several occasions and not just one time but also accusing Krystal of being Joe Clyde's killer.

IMO Joe Clyde is dead and possibly was dead quite a while before his parents ever called 911: they had time to forensically clean their home of any trace of Joe Clyde and even destroyed his clothes and toys.

IMO Krystal will be found guilty of aggravated child neglect - does this mean she couldn't ever be tried for Joe Clyde's murder because of double jeopardy?

I am disgusted by both parents.

They failed that boy. Period. They need to be held accountable. I pray his sweet little body is found and can tell the story so justice is served.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea