GUILTY TN - Lisa, 55, & Joel Guy Sr, 61, dismembered, Knoxville, 25 Nov 2016 *Son Arrested*

Joel Guy wants to be his own lawyer at his murder trial | wbir.com

Jury selection is set for Thursday. It's possible the panel will be picked by the end of the day.

Testimony is expected to start Monday.

Potential jurors already have filled on questionnaires about their knowledge of the case.

Court TV likely will carry the trial. WBIR will cover it next week.

Because of COVID-19 restrictions, everyone including jurors will be spaced out in the courtroom. Everyone including the lawyers and defendant also must wear a face covering.

The judge is sitting behind a plastic screen on the bench.

Seating will be sharply limited in the courtroom.

Members of the Guy family are expected to attend.

Sorry, You Can't Do That: Murder Defendant Loses Bid To Let Judge Impose Death Penalty If Convicted

Joel Guy wants to be his own lawyer at his murder trial | wbir.com

"A Knox County judge turned back a murder defendant's offer Wednesday morning to let him impose the death penalty if convicted, noting the prosecution hadn't put that option on the table.

Knox County Criminal Court Judge Steve Sword told Joel Guy in a pre-trial hearing that legally only the state can pursue the death penalty in a murder case. And in Guy's case, they're not seeking it.

Last week, Guy filed an unusual handwritten motion in which he said he was willing to let Sword be the one to decide his punishment if he's convicted. That included death, life without parole or life.

Guy, 32, who is being held in the Knox County jail, told Sword he'd been researching the law and thought it was an open question.

The judge said Guy could make the offer, but he couldn't honor it. Guy's waiver has no practical legal effect because the prosecution controls the question of pursuing a defendant's execution, Sword said."

Joel Guy Jr. trial: Jury seated for son accused of killing parents

A jury of five men and seven women was tapped Thursday in Knox County Criminal Court. Trial begins Monday.

Guy was a Louisiana State University student and lived in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Testimony and court records show his parents – Joel Guy Sr., 61, and Lisa Guy, 55 – had been paying his bills, but they were tired of it.

Authorities allege the Guys broke the news to their son over Thanksgiving that they would no longer support him financially, so he killed them. Guy denies the charges, which include two counts of first-degree murder, and he is not pursuing an insanity defense.

I watched some of the Court TV coverage yesterday. I ended up throwing stuff at the TV. His smug baby face while he was watching the body cam footage made me so mad. Then the pitiful howling of the poor dog was too much for me. What a vile monster of a son. Moo.

Joel Guy Jr. Trial, Day 1: Guy planned parents' murder to get their money, prosecutor says | wbir.com

Jurors heard Monday during the prosecution’s opening statement, the then 28-year-old Guy Jr. headlined one section of his notebook “Assets.”

In the section he also detailed how he would hide his father’s body and inherit all of his mother’s life insurance - $500,000. If no one could find his father's body, he'd be left the sole beneficiary of the insurance.

“All mine,” the state says he wrote.

Detectives found the notebook in the Guy home on Goldenview Lane, along with their dismembered bodies, on Nov. 28, 2016. It was among dozens of items seized in a crime scene that covered multiple rooms in both sides of the Guy home.

They also found multiple tubs and bottles of chemicals that appeared handy for dissolving his parents' body parts.

Did anyone else stop the forensic video to read the post it note on the master bedroom dresser? Joel Sr. wrote that in 2013 and my heart sunk knowing he wrote that not thinking his own son would be the reason why he died. Im looking for the arrest affidavit and/or unedited body cam/forensic viedeos and im not turing much up. Anyone have a link?

Watching him try to hold in his giggle when they said "diabolical stew" made me wonder what his thought process is right now. I know people act different in extreme stress. I want to know more of the family history. Why was he not involved in the lives of his family besides that he lived in BR? Was he outcast? And i want to talk about the picture of him where his face is half blown up.. like an abcess/ injury. Could that be more proof against him since we know there was an obvious struggle? Was it an injury from the murders or did it occur later?

Watching him try to hold in his giggle when they said "diabolical stew" made me wonder what his thought process is right now. I know people act different in extreme stress. I want to know more of the family history. Why was he not involved in the lives of his family besides that he lived in BR? Was he outcast? And i want to talk about the picture of him where his face is half blown up.. like an abcess/ injury. Could that be more proof against him since we know there was an obvious struggle? Was it an injury from the murders or did it occur later?

I missed this picture! Was it shown on the live feed or elsewhere? Thanks!

From the Daily Mail:

"According to the prosecution, Guy Jr's motive for the savage double homicide was financial because his parents had been planning to stop giving him money.

Guy was reportedly studying to be a plastic surgeon in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and had been in college for nine years while his parents supported him.

The couple, who both worked as engineers, were ready to retire and stop providing him with assistance.

In his notes, Guy Jr included a section titled 'Assets.' In it, Nassios told the court that the defendant laid out a plan to hide his father's body and inherit his mother's $500,000 life insurance.

'Money all mine,' he wrote, according to the records. 'I get the whole thing.' "

Trial begins for son accused of murdering and dismembering his parents over money | Daily Mail Online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhatHappenedToJAB
Back