TN - Shooting at private Christian Covenant School, Nashville, suspect dead, multiple victims, 27 Mar 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it costs money, but securing a school seems very doable.

Get good locks and lock the doors. Lock the dang doors, to start.

Locked main doors with audio and video coverage, limited access with coded keypads, locks and cameras on other entrances, etc.

Maybe the main doors are a double entryway—people wait in between outer and inner doors and don’t get in without stating their purpose for being there, and receptionists check with school personnel to verify before allowing access.

I’m sure a safety expert would have lots of sensible and easily implemented first line of defense options.

Our storage units had a locked and coded gate. Customers each had their own code for access. The storage unit software allowed for any individual code to be locked out of access, either automatically through the software, like when the payment was late, or manually if there was a problem with a customer. The software logged usage, and we could tell from the codes who was going in and out.

Surely the same is available for use with locked and coded doors.

Yes, I’m aware that all systems have their flaws, and where there is a will, there is usually a way.

But surely we can make it more difficult for people to get access to our children.

Locked main doors with audio and video coverage, limited access with coded keypads, locks and cameras on other entrances, etc.

Maybe the main doors are a double entryway—people wait in between outer and inner doors and don’t get in without stating their purpose for being there, and receptionists check with school personnel to verify before allowing access.

I’m sure a safety expert would have lots of sensible and easily implemented first line of defense options.

Our storage units had a locked and coded gate. Customers each had their own code for access. The storage unit software allowed for any individual code to be locked out of access, either automatically through the software, like when the payment was late, or manually if there was a problem with a customer. The software logged usage, and we could tell from the codes who was going in and out.

Yes, I’m aware that all systems have their flaws, and where there is a will, there is usually a way.

But surely we can make it more difficult for people to get access to our children.
Yes, in a big-city metro area where I used to work, this was exactly how it was done. Infractions (usually students or teachers!!! propping doors open) led to serious & appropriate consequences. Resource officers allocated subtly and strategically; admins always had ear to the ground in the communities they served. Never perfect, but effective. I was itinerant staff and thankful for the once-over I always got. Anguish at hearing this news.

Police say suspect may have been a former student

We just heard a brief update from Nashville authorities.

The 28-year-old female who is accused of carrying out the shooting at The Covenant School may have been a student at the school, based on "initial findings", Police Chief John Drake just said.

He identified the suspect as a 28-year-old white woman from the Nashville area.

He added it was unclear how she gained access to the school.

Here's what else we learned from officials

During the most recent news update, officials also shared that the families of the three youngest victims have been notified of their deaths.

Police Chief John Drake declined to publicly identify the victims.

City and state officials expressed horror at the incident and argued these types of events occur too often.

"This is the ultimate crime when school children and caregivers are victims of senseless gun violence," Nashville District Attorney Glenn Funk said.

Police said they will share another update at around 16:00 local time (21:00GMT).

Schools need to have the funding to be able to pay for this. There are laws that designate how & where money can be spent which can make it difficult for districts. I worked in public education for 42 yrs.
I absolutely agree with you on this matter! We must make our schools safe for students.

I really can't stand "Talking Heads" on TV news channels, putting in their "take" on a situation that they know limited information, and they keep saying the same things over and over. Platitudes. Pontificating about "woulda, coulda, shoulda".

It’s crazy that we need this. It wasn’t necessary to lock down schools when I was a kid in the 70’s. What the heck happened?

This picture from the Daily Mail is breaking my heart. According to the DM, it’s a father who's found his son, a student at the school.

No child so young should look so simultaneously bewildered, forlorn and frightened. IMO.

I can imagine the look on the father’s face as he brings his child to safety. From a school at which a few hours ago he assumed his son was ALREADY in a safe place.879BB4D9-CA88-4717-B7F9-A35D677CCCCA.jpeg

What we know so far
  • Six people - three children and three staff members - were killed at a private primary school in Nashville, in the state of Tennessee
  • The shooting took place at The Covenant School - a private Christian school with some 200 students from preschool age to the sixth grade, around 11 or 12 years old
  • Police say the suspect was a 28-year-old woman from the Nashville area, possibly a former student of the school
  • Police first received reports of an active shooter at 10:13 local time (15:13 GMT), and engaged with the shooter in a "lobby-like area" on the second floor of the school
  • The shooter was dead by 10:27 local time (15:27 GMT), police said
  • Police have not yet released the ages or names of the victims

Police say suspect may have been a former student

We just heard a brief update from Nashville authorities.

The 28-year-old female who is accused of carrying out the shooting at The Covenant School may have been a student at the school, based on "initial findings", Police Chief John Drake just said.

He identified the suspect as a 28-year-old white woman from the Nashville area.

He added it was unclear how she gained access to the school.

That's a long time to hold a grudge. Ugh.

IMHO

As a former school administrator, I wish I could say it is that easy. Schools and school systems always do a cost benefit analysis for the buildings. When retrofitting a building there are so many things that need to be altered/fortified/reassessed. One thing we know is that school shooters learn from each other--- most acts are not just done with little to no planning. So, in the double door example, many schools have buzzers to let you in and then a buzzer system to let you in the second door. That said, if a shooter has a bigger gun, the glass will shatter giving the shooter immediate entry. Magnetic doors can be a great thing but once the magnetic door locks anyone in a hall or area has no where to go.

In case of a current or former student, they often can get into a school with ease as they know the ecosystems vulnerabilities.

Every time I see a thread that has school and shooting in it, I am reminded that we continually fail to protect the most vulnerable. Not sure why.

We should bless the people who died AND those who tried to save them. This is a horrific crime to grapple with psychologically.

ADMIN NOTE:

Hey folks, politicizing and gun control discussion/debate is not allowed at Websleuths, so please do not link to articles that are about elected officials and gun control in general.

Just about every case discussion at WS where a gun is the weapon has members start up gun control discussion or political commentary. Such discussion at Websleuths is one of those societal issues that will NEVER result in change in that regard, and it only derails the discussion about the specific case that is under discussion.

Thank you.

It's not just in the USA either as the post you're responding to might make one think. Something in humanity is broken atm?
Please don't deny the reality that mass shootings, particularly in schools, is a uniquely American problem as far as number of occurrences and casualties. The stats are shocking and overwhelming. A problem can't be properly addressed until it is recognized.

People like to talk about the practical actions that are necessary to prevent crime (and I agree!) but you have to ask WHAT HAPPENEd that we have thousands of people without a conscience. Each time there's an individual person who decides to do this, picks up a weapon, and kills innocent people they don't know in cold blood. How do you get there? What the $%^& is wrong with our society?

When I was in 1st grade, a kid in my class brought a gun in his lunchbox and threatened the teacher. I remember the teacher crying afterwards. The kid never came back to school iirc. This was late 90s.

I haven’t thought about that in a long time. Thinking back it could’ve been a BB gun for all I know, but I know it was a serious situation.

Now I have a 2nd grader in school to worry about. Fellow classmate, random adult, schools just aren’t safe and I hate it :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname