TN - Tyre Nichols, beaten to death by 5 Memphis Police Officers, Jan 2023 *officers charged*

Not only the policemen cases.

There has been a lawsuit against Haley for beating an inmate. Almost as bad as he beat Tyre. Same style, different situation. In fact, the judge that threw it out because the claimant was in federal prison. By throwing it out he kept Haley in the system. Haley was promoted to police force. Tyre's case is at least the second one (the first was non-reported dislocated shoulder during arrest) linked to him.

Had Haley been stopped in 2018, Tyre would be alive.

RSBM

I understand and agree with all you say. There is one aspect I'm really having trouble with, so upset and angry. Frightened. The amount of officer at that scene was more than Haley. This was a gang attack. How many officers are responsible? If an officer is beating me up, that means another officer would stand by and assist or do nothing? And I'm an older woman, but their actions cause be great concern. Most of us have fathers, brothers, sons, and other friends and relative. I'm just going crazy thinking about this.

RSBM

I understand and agree with all you say. There is one aspect I'm really having trouble with, so upset and angry. Frightened. The amount of officer at that scene was more than Haley. This was a gang attack. How many officers are responsible? If an officer is beating me up, that means another officer would stand by and assist or do nothing? And I'm an older woman, but their actions cause be great concern. Most of us have fathers, brothers, sons, and other friends and relative. I'm just going crazy thinking about this.
The Memphis and Minneapolis police departments are among many U.S. law enforcement agencies with “duty to intervene” policies. The Memphis protocol is clear: “Any member who directly observes another member engaged in dangerous or criminal conduct or abuse of a subject shall take reasonable action to intervene.”

The Memphis and Minneapolis police departments are among many U.S. law enforcement agencies with “duty to intervene” policies. The Memphis protocol is clear: “Any member who directly observes another member engaged in dangerous or criminal conduct or abuse of a subject shall take reasonable action to intervene.”
And how is that working in real life ?

Is the same ol same ol working? The ol stay the course? I’d say no. So, now what? What are we gonna talk about now till we are blue in the face? What’s gonna work??
I share with you the absolute outrage and and anger we all share over this case. It is a graphic tragedy we can not undo. All we can do from this point forward is to prosecute all of those responsible and make an example over this case. Hopefully, in making this an example it will help serve to deter further incidents like this.

We all agree on the problem. I agree with you, current policies are not working in some areas and departments. But honestly, I don't think any of us have a good solution as to how to change it. Body cams and general surveillance cameras have helped a great deal.

You ask a very important question - 'What's gonna work?'. I agree there needs to be change and accountability.

What are your ideas on how to change this or even start to change this? We need to figure out how to change this.

IMO, there are a lot of very good LE out there. Sadly, the good ones are overshadowed by cases like these.

JMO

Last edited:
I share with you the absolute outrage and and anger we all share over this case. It is a graphic tragedy we can not undo. All we can do from this point forward is to prosecute all of those responsible and make an example over this case. Hopefully, in making this an example it will help serve to deter further incidents like this.

We all agree on the problem. I agree with you, current policies are not working in some areas and departments. But honestly, I don't think any of us have a good solution as to how to change it. Body cams and general surveillance cameras have helped a great deal.

You ask a very important question - 'What's gonna work?'. I agree there needs to be change and accountability.

What are your ideas on how to change this or even start to change this? We need to figure out how to change this.

IMO, there are a lot of very good LE out there. Sadly, the good ones are overshadowed by cases like these.

JMO
That’s just it, I don’t have any ideas! Alls I can do is, well, I dunno. Keep protesting? Keep voting? Keep screaming in the wind? I talk to my grandchildren. That’s all I know anymore besides the other three.

That’s just it, I don’t have any ideas! Alls I can do is, well, I dunno. Keep protesting? Keep voting? Keep screaming in the wind? I talk to my grandchildren. That’s all I know anymore besides the other three.
Agree, there is a great value in continuing to protest, loudly. It keeps these stories at the front of the news. No change will happen unless there is strong civil disagreement. Hopefully protests will remain civil and non violent. I would suggest contacting your local newspaper and TV stations to make sure they are covering the issues and protests.

Agree, keep voting. Are your elected officials speaking out on this and proposing change? Always remember, your vote counts.

Agree, sometimes screaming in the wind is cathartic:)

Agree, talking to your children and grandchildren is so important. Change is often slow, generational and taught by the wise words of our elders.

While none of us have answers right now, you are suggesting all of the right things that will promote change and find answers

JMO
:)

The more important question is how do we change that?

JMO

You can Google any site, but Memphis will inevitably be in the top ten most dangerous cities in the US.

JMO - No police rebranding can change anything unless people's living standards improve. Every article offering root-cause analysis of crime in Memphis says the same, poverty, isolation, outflow of businesses, outflow of people. It is obviously shockingly old history, but it is incredibly sad that with both geographically advantageous situation and TN being considered business-friendly, Memphis is in such peril.

Either something changes economically, or the outflow of people continues until there is no one to police. (Sorry. Read a couple of economic articles. (( )

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed or linked but in this 1/2022 article it discusses the hardships Memphis PD was facing due to dwindling numbers of officers.
"Memphis Police are down about 500 officers, losing *184 to retirement and resignations last year alone, according to the Memphis Police Association"

So they lowered their standards in education, physical fitness and even past criminal offenses. They also, like many departments, offered $15k signing bonus.

“The physical ability test, instead of it being a timed test, it will not be timed, it will not be pass or fail. it will just be an assessment. "
"She says MPD is also cutting the minimum number of college credit hours to 24, down from 54.
Lt. Cage says, “I don’t think it’s lowering standards. It’s just making adjustments to accommodate the current generation.”
"FOX13 asked Lt. Colonel Sharon Cunningham if the department is willing to consider applicants with a record.
She said, “We are taking a really close look at candidates who have small infractions, whether it’s a criminal record or whether it’s records regarding employment stability or driving history, we’re looking at those, and we’re looking at those on a case by case basis.”

The people who murdered Mr. Nichols were out of control and clearly did not think that they would be held to account on their behavior. We can talk about training standards but a more salient conversation has to be about supervision standards of these criminals. These men were thrust upon a community in trouble/crisis and left to their own devices. Do we know when a supervisor showed up to this scene? What was their continuous training like?

What community sends out nominally trained individuals who are unsupervised to apprehend violent, dangerous people but provides such little oversight? These criminals had issues like violence against citizens or witnessing violence against citizens with little or no consequences. We can look at their fitness for duty but we should also be looking at the leaderships fitness for duty. JMHO.

What community sends out nominally trained individuals who are unsupervised to apprehend violent, dangerous people but provides such little oversight? These criminals had issues like violence against citizens or witnessing violence against citizens with little or no consequences. We can look at their fitness for duty but we should also be looking at the leaderships fitness for duty. JMHO.
Memphis and other cities and communities to numerous to mention?

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed or linked but in this 1/2022 article it discusses the hardships Memphis PD was facing due to dwindling numbers of officers.
"Memphis Police are down about 500 officers, losing *184 to retirement and resignations last year alone, according to the Memphis Police Association"

So they lowered their standards in education, physical fitness and even past criminal offenses. They also, like many departments, offered $15k signing bonus.

“The physical ability test, instead of it being a timed test, it will not be timed, it will not be pass or fail. it will just be an assessment. "
"She says MPD is also cutting the minimum number of college credit hours to 24, down from 54.
Lt. Cage says, “I don’t think it’s lowering standards. It’s just making adjustments to accommodate the current generation.”
"FOX13 asked Lt. Colonel Sharon Cunningham if the department is willing to consider applicants with a record.
She said, “We are taking a really close look at candidates who have small infractions, whether it’s a criminal record or whether it’s records regarding employment stability or driving history, we’re looking at those, and we’re looking at those on a case by case basis.”
IMO, this is why policing will get worse before it gets better. Also, IMO, the good guys doing their job correctly, were driven out by anti police policies. What was supposed to make policing better, made it much much worse. IMO, JMO, MOO.

Here is what I don't understand...

I assume that high salaries for police in CA are due to asinine cost of living, but in general, the average salary of a PO are twice as high as those of security guards, for example. Not that low.

I assume that for Haley, who was promoted from prison guard to PD, that meant a rise in the salary. So there should be an incentive to "behave better" to stay on the job.

What promoted his behavior? I wonder what instructions were "the Scorpions" given? After all, those poor folks the Memphis police officers were terrorizing were clients. The community they served.

(I am asking about Haley because he was not a college graduate).

Here is what I don't understand...

I assume that high salaries for police in CA are due to asinine cost of living, but in general, the average salary of a PO are twice as high as those of security guards, for example. Not that low.

I assume that for Haley, who was promoted from prison guard to PD, that meant a rise in the salary. So there should be an incentive to "behave better" to stay on the job.

What promoted his behavior? I wonder what instructions were "the Scorpions" given? After all, those poor folks the Memphis police officers were terrorizing were clients. The community they served.

(I am asking about Haley because he was not a college graduate).
cali is facing low LE levels as well, and i know many were hired without their mental health evals. Which results in this type of thing: Bay Area sheriff's deputy charged with murder in killings of husband and wife

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lilhuda
Back