TN - Tyre Nichols, beaten to death by 5 Memphis Police Officers, Jan 2023 *officers charged*

I couldn’t watch it all. I watched until they had him sitting against the car and had to turn it off. Why in tarnation did those grown men do that to him? I don’t understand the aggression to begin with. What were they afraid he was going to do if they didn’t control him?

Last edited:
This case is just so far beyond what we've seen in other similar, very disturbing, situations involving law enforcement vs. the public. What really is over the top here is the rage and anger, the mob mentality of the officers. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't been able to watch it. I should but I haven't been able to bring myself to do it yet.
I haven't watched it either. I don't want to, for me just reading the description of the video, and the police chief's description of it, are disturbing enough, and tells me all I need to know. I am glad the video was released though, there needs to be transparency.

We ask, even expect that those who police us do it with the laws and respect with the oath that they took. Like every soul that walks this earth those in charge included carry personal views, beliefs and personal problems with them as they perform their jobs and duties, that's the scary part for those around them not knowing if this will surface during their daily task. The Police want the public to embrace them and many do but now we do it with a suspicious eye, sad to say. Stranger danger used to apply to certain situations but now we are forced to look at almost anyone no matter the uniform they may wear. I'm keeping the faith for change yet do it with eyes wide open, threw out those rose covered glasses awhile back.

This case is just so far beyond what we've seen in other similar, very disturbing, situations involving law enforcement vs. the public. What really is over the top here is the rage and anger, the mob mentality of the officers. <modsnip>
I think part of the problem is the hiring and screening process for LEO. Maybe that is where change needs to start.

Everyone commenting and describing on these officers beating, kicking, using a baton, dragging him etc lets not forget the worst part...the .poor man was HANDCUFFED while all this was going on! IMO the cops all need to spend the rest of their lives in prison (and Ill stop here before I get banned)
I saw a good police officer interviewed after the George Floyd incident. When asked about the George Floyd incident, he noted that, oncee the perp is in handcuffs, they're no longer a threat. They can run, but not fast or too far. There's no need to keep beating on them.

I think part of the problem is the hiring and screening process for LEO. Maybe that is where change needs to start.
I've read more than once that police departments intentionally refuse to hire officers with higher IQs because they are more likely to get bored and leave the job after being trained.

This article is old, but I think if you take some time to search there is at least one other that is worth a read.

<modsnip - quoted post removed>

<modsnip> There are obviously problems in police departments but horrors like this don't happen with regularity (thank goodness): One of the problems is the type of person who wants to be a police officer: someone who likes control and power- and someone who is a tad macho-- not all people who want to be police officers have those traits, but a lot do IMO- as someone else suggested, there needs to be better screening procedures in all police departments.

I hope the Chief is able to prove probable cause to initiate that extreme traffic stop to begin with. Because it looks like Tyre was minding his own business stopped at a red light. I hope these officers were not settling a personal score of some sort. I know the officers claim wrong way driving, etc. But I watched the end of a police chase yesterday in Los Angeles, that ended with a pit maneuver. They practically shook the suspect's hand and bought him coffee. Imo.

and

I don't see how the family could bear to view the video, so that's just a delaying tactic, imo. Most certainly, the family's attorney will view it. Memphis knows the release of that video will cause a nation-wide protest against police brutality. All the past victims, like George Floyd, Eric garner, Sandra Bland, Michael brown, Laquan Mac Donald, Tamar Rice and too many more, will be remembered with fury because black people keep dying of police brutality.

I saw a good police officer interviewed after the George Floyd incident. When asked about the George Floyd incident, he noted that, oncee the perp is in handcuffs, they're no longer a threat. They can run, but not fast or too far. There's no need to keep beating on them.

I think handcuffs are used too much, though. Too many people are stopped or questioned about something non-violent, something minor. And if the person questions it, they are seen as recalcitrant, someone who needs to be overpowered (physically, mentally, emotionally), handcuffs are brought out, and (again), if officers are questioned, the person is then labeled as resisting arrest, and things often get worse from there. Nothing changed into something, going from 0 to 100, all in a short window. It's happened in too many cases which have later come to light. MOO.

This squad received special training that was considered controversial by many residents. The community was upset that some of these officers were being violent towards elderly people, etc.

...and that is Official Training.

Now add in whatever UNofficial Training they've received from independent sources, and ask how those teachings interact during high stress moments.

If the LEO way to do something is different than the soldier way, which wins out when adrenaline is racing, tempers have flared, and the tear gas is clouding both the vision and the judgement?

I think ex-military and military training should be kept far, far away from LE. It's apples and oranges, and when they marry...well...strange fruit. :(

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back