Toys For Tots rejects Jesus doll

Dark Knight said:
I think this post went too far.:slap:

It was merely a suggestion to create priest and alter boy dolls. Anything more than that came from your own mind and was not written in the post.

Details said:
We've got another thread on this, BTW, I think in the Jury room...

Yeah, the born again - not all Christians go for that. And plenty celebrate Christmas as a secular holiday... and toys should be fun! Toys donated to kids who will get very, very few presents for Christmas should be especially fun!

The article says that the doll recites Scripture such as "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again". That particular verse is part of the Bible that is for all Christians, not just the "born agains". With that being said, though, my opinion is that the manufacturers of the doll are "born agains".

I agree Ntegrity. I am willing to bet they will accept video games that recreate murder and violence or action toys that glorify violence or inappropriate music or videos, etc. etc. etc. But PLEASE don't allow a doll that talks about values and morals......what a twisted society we have become. It makes me very sad that the Christ birthday (which is what it was created to celebrate people) has become politically incorrect and people will fight to their last breath to take religion out of it yet so many turn a blind eye to all of trash that we give our kids each year. If we want to be politically correct, then what toys can you really donate to charity? If you want to stand against something how about we stand against those things that truly are denegrating our society and influencing our children to commit crimes and such....and it certainly isn't a Jesus doll doing that!

Ntegrity said:
Wow, Jesus is banned from any connection with His own birthday celebration. How sad is that?

I'm not sure, as a child, if I would've wanted a scripture quoting Jesus doll, but we're talking about needy children here. I guess they will only accept X-boxes and DVD players and stuff. :angel:

Mabel said:
It was merely a suggestion to create priest and alter boy dolls. Anything more than that came from your own mind and was not written in the post.
Yes, because I am too dumb to understand what she meant.

:slap: to you, too.

Mabel said:
Why would someone make a Jesus doll for kids anyway? I'm not religious at all, but I'd hate to see some kid carrying Jesus around by the hair or taking his clothes off to see what's underneath. Maybe the kid will get a Barbie too, then Jesus and Barbie can get married and have babies.

Bahahahahaha, Mabel, you cracked me up, once again - carrying Jesus around by the hair, lol.

Dark Knight said:
It misrepresents the other 99% of Priests who are good, holy, people.

Actually, from what I have been hearing lately, it's more like 77%.

Maral said:
Well, I am religious and I don't care for the idea of making a Jesus doll at all. To me, it trivializes God.

How did I guess it was you I would agree with? I was just thinking, well "we're not supposed to take the Lord's name in vain," so surely we're not supposed to carry him around and throw him on the floor, like many toddlers would do.

To me he's kind of like the flag LOL. However, I don't mind at all a Jesus doll in a Christian preschool, as long as he's treated with respect.

(you can tell I teach preschool, I mean even 4 and 5 year olds take a hammer and beat on the rubber dolls)

I would only use the Jesus doll for group discussion probably.

I am a big crazy arm-waving Catholic, and even I agree that this is not the best choice for a toy for a charitable gift-giving operation.

I might purchase this for my own child, or a godchild, or a niece or nephew, knowing their religious affiliation, and if I felt I was a person in a relationship to that chid where such a gift would not be considered overstepping my boundaries.

I agree I would want to know that this Jesus doll is being played with in an appropriate manner, and in giving such a doll to an anonymous child, there is no way of knowing that this is the case.

I also agree, a child who lives in enough poverty to qualify for this charity would likely be quite disappointed to receive a Jesus doll - how fun can that be?

whoever made this donation probably did it with a good heart and noble intentions, but it was not a well-thought out gift, imo.....

sandraladeda said:
whoever made this donation probably did it with a good heart and noble intentions, but it was not a well-thought out gift, imo.....

i agree.

Keep in mine people Winter is not only the Christmas season (I take exception to the signs and banners stating that Jesus is the Reason for the Season). Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, and Diwali are all also celebrated in December, which is probably why Christmas used to be a pagan holiday- Winter Solstice!

Dark Knight said:
It misrepresents the other 99% of Priests who are good, holy, people.
<<Yes, because I am too dumb to understand what she meant.>>

By your own admission, your Maths needs a brush up...you seem to have problem with percentages.

sandraladeda said:
You said it well!!

"Thou shalt not make a graven image of the Lord thy God"

I don't belive in shoving ones religion down ones throat but this is a tough one. After all, Jesus is what Christams is about, not the toys. Ironic that a doll that represents christianity and Christmas gets banned.

JJJJaded said:
"Thou shalt not make a graven image of the Lord thy God"

Hey, I forgot about that one. Maybe that's why there haven't been alot of Jesus dolls made previously.

There is no question the dolls are promoted as a means of proselytizing. The www.one2believe.com Web site of Beverly Hills Teddy Bear recommends parents use the dolls to tell Bible stories to their children and notes "the purpose of this family activity is to (pique) their children's imaginations and turn their hearts toward God. But don't tell their kids that . . . they're having too much fun!"

The talking Jesus doll may or may not be fun, but it does appear to be cuddly. To make it talk and say things like "I am the way, the truth and the life," the child pushes a red heart on the doll's front.

The company's offerings aren't limited to Christians, however. It also sells a talking Moses doll that proclaims the Ten Commandments and a talking Esther doll that tells the story of Esther, an Old Testament heroine who saved her people by thwarting a plot to have a king kill them.

Can a talking Muhammad doll for Muslims be far behind? I hope so.
http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/column/index.php?ntid=107446&ntpid=1

Here's the website for the company who makes them:
Thank you for your interest in our mission. By placing one of the links below on your website you will be joining us in our goal of teaching 10 million children Bible Stories by 2007.
http://www.messengersoffaith.net/

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin