Toys For Tots rejects Jesus doll

...they came with wardrobes and accessories...

Jesus...Comes with Robe and Sandals, plus the following outfits and accessories: One Men's 3-Piece Dashiki "Wardrober"; Five Loaves of Bread, Two Fish and a Jug - for turning water into wine (not guaranteed to work for real). Also features “glow-in-the-dark" miracle hands!”

Moses... Comes with Robe and Sandals, plus the following outfits and accessories: Stone tablets with the 10 Commandments; Leisure Suit; Zip-Up Men's Patent Leather Ankle Boots, Orange "Huntsman" Swimsuit, a bottle of SPF50 Sunscreen, and a Sunhat.

Buddha: Comes with Robe and Sandals, plus the following outfits and accessories: One pair of White Joe Rocket Supermoto Leather Pants, with Matching Leather Jacket; one Speedo Men's 1" Solar Bikini Bathing Suit - size XXXL in Gold; one men's Speedo Gold Bathing Cap with Matching Goggles.

Mohammed...Comes with Robe and Sandals, plus the following outfits and accessories: One pair of Rock & Republic Lynyrd Skynard Lo-Rise Saddle Back Jeans; a vintage Courreges Denim Biker Jacket; Sunglasses, and a Prayer Rug.

cappuccina said:
...they came with wardrobes and accessories...

Jesus...Comes with Robe and Sandals, plus the following outfits and accessories: One Men's 3-Piece Dashiki "Wardrober"; Five Loaves of Bread, Two Fish and a Jug - for turning water into wine (not guaranteed to work for real). Also features “glow-in-the-dark miracle hands!”

Moses... Comes with Robe and Sandals, plus the following outfits and accessories: Stone tablets with the 10 Commandments; Leisure Suit; Zip-Up Men's Patent Leather Ankle Boots, Orange "Huntsman" Swimsuit, a bottle of SPF50 Sunscreen, and a Sunhat.

Buddha: Comes with Robe and Sandals, plus the following outfits and accessories: One pair of White Joe Rocket Supermoto Leather Pants, with Matching Leather Jacket; one Speedo Men's 1" Solar Bikini Bathing Suit - size XXXL in Gold; one men's Speedo Gold Bathing Cap with Matching Goggles.

Mohammed...Comes with Robe and Sandals, plus the following outfits and accessories: One pair of Rock & Republic Lynyrd Skynard Lo-Rise Saddle Back Jeans; a vintage Courreges Denim Biker Jacket; Sunglasses, and a Prayer Rug.
Order me a set of yours.

LinasK said:
Keep in mine people Winter is not only the Christmas season (I take exception to the signs and banners stating that Jesus is the Reason for the Season). Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, and Diwali are all also celebrated in December, which is probably why Christmas used to be a pagan holiday- Winter Solstice!

Please explain to me what this has to do with a Jesus doll being rejected by Toys For Tots? :confused:

"Toys are donated to kids based on financial need and "we don't know anything about their background, their religious affiliations," said Bill Grein, vice president of Marine Toys for Tots Foundation, in Quantico, Va.

As a government entity, Marines "don't profess one religion over another," Grein said Tuesday. "We can't take a chance on sending a talking Jesus doll to a Jewish family or a Muslim family."

Link in first post.

JJJJaded said:
"Thou shalt not make a graven image of the Lord thy God"

Main Entry: graven image
Function: noun
Etymology: graven, past participle of 1grave
: an object of worship carved usually from wood or stone : IDOL

I think we've already done that like one million times haven't we, with all the statues and such, or am I deciphering this commandment in the wrong context?

poco said:
Main Entry: graven image
Function: noun
Etymology: graven, past participle of 1grave
: an object of worship carved usually from wood or stone : IDOL

I think we've already done that like one million times haven't we, with all the statues and such, or am I deciphering this commandment in the wrong context?
Yep, we have. But some Christians take this commandment more directly and say it's wrong, and others don't think it's wrong. The point I had was just that even if you assume Christmas gifts go only to Christians, and that they only give out Christmas gifts, not all Christians will even want this doll. Many others may find it offensive.

windovervocalcords said:
"Toys are donated to kids based on financial need and "we don't know anything about their background, their religious affiliations," said Bill Grein, vice president of Marine Toys for Tots Foundation, in Quantico, Va.

As a government entity, Marines "don't profess one religion over another," Grein said Tuesday. "We can't take a chance on sending a talking Jesus doll to a Jewish family or a Muslim family."

Link in first post.
Why would Jews or Muslims recieve Christmas gifts? lol. I have never heard Toys for Tots working any other time of year.

Dark Knight said:
Why would Jews or Muslims recieve Christmas gifts? lol. I have never heard Toys for Tots working any other time of year.
Toys for Tots gives to ALL children during the holiday season. As far as I know it doesn't have to be a Christmas gift.

Dark Knight said:
I'm wondering if they belong to families celebrating the "Santa Claus" Christmas. What I'm trying to say is the "tradition" of Christmas, more than the religious aspect.

If I were poor enough that I'd fit into the Toys for Tots program - I'd get a Christmas gift to let my child have a toy - no matter what beliefs I had. Just nice for a poor kid to get a toy. And I can't imagine the marines discriminating, turning away a child just because he was not raised a christian.

Dark Knight said:
Why would Christians bother extending their charity to non-christians? (converts? missions?)

I thought the point was charity (at the ritual Christmas charity time) to needy families....maybe I'm wrong. Its not my tradition.

...Goodfellows is charity "with no strings attached"...They help everyone, and not just with toys, with food and clothes too...Also, they do NOT proselytize or try to convert anyone to anything. They just "Are"...they are there to help, with an emphasis on kids.

IMO, this is true charity...Having someone in your face proselytizing in return for your supper is disgusting and not charitable, IMO. True charity and giving is with no strings attached, religious or otherwise...

(*sniff* I am so sad...does no one except me and WOVC like my "jazzed up" religious figure dolls? :D)

Goodfellows is one charity I always support. When I was on my own with two small boys and couldn't afford Christmas someone gave them my name and they showed up at my house with the fixings for a complete Christmas dinner and tons of presents for the kids. On of the men asked where my tree was and I told them I didn't have one. A few hours later they were back with a tree, ornaments, and lights. It was a great feeling the following year when they were collecting donations and I was able to give a little something to help another family.

Toys for Tots has found a way (they don't specify how) to accept the dolls.

Mabel said:
Goodfellows is one charity I always support. When I was on my own with two small boys and couldn't afford Christmas someone gave them my name and they showed up at my house with the fixings for a complete Christmas dinner and tons of presents for the kids. On of the men asked where my tree was and I told them I didn't have one. A few hours later they were back with a tree, ornaments, and lights. It was a great feeling the following year when they were collecting donations and I was able to give a little something to help another family.

That's the loveliest story and makes me feel warm all over.

thank you for sharing and i see times are better nowadays.

wonderful you could offer a helping hand. :)

...the Goodfellows rock!

Here, for each family, they provide (and I am amzed by this, each and every year when I work for them...) 3-6 months worth of canned goods and other food, a complete Christmas dinner, a stocking for each child, complete with wrapped toys and candy, clothes that the children and adults may need, such as boots, coats, etc., or bedding if needed, toys that are age appropriate and chosen for each child by their interests, and extras made by two high shcool shop classes - for example a beautiful wooden rocking horse for small children or cute wooden banks for older kids...Oh, and they always throw in some books for the kids and families as well...It's unbelievable what the Goodfellows do!!

[Details, they accepted the dolls because they added my wardobes!]

cappuccina said:
...the Goodfellows rock!

Here, for each family, they provide (and I am amzed by this, each and every year when I work for them...) 3-6 months worth of canned goods and other food, a complete Christmas dinner, a stocking for each child, complete with wrapped toys and candy, clothes that the children and adults may need, such as boots, coats, etc., or bedding if needed, toys that are age appropriate and chosen for each child by their interests, and extras made by two high shcool shop classes - for example a beautiful wooden rocking horse for small children or cute wooden banks for older kids...Oh, and they always throw in some books for the kids and families as well...It's unbelievable what the Goodfellows do!!

[Details, they accepted the dolls because they added my wardobes!]
That sounds very cool, wish we had one around here.

Santa's Helpers does a really good job here locally, and I usually try to help them somehow. They do food, clothes, AND gifts.

What if it was a Jesus doll that said scripture according to the way the LDS church believes? Or for that matter, Jehovah's witnesses or any other religion? What if it spoke lines from a Catholic Mass?

Each religion seems to have VERY different interpretations of the bible.

How is it determined by most churches that Jesus's birthday was on December 25? Linask is right, a lot of holidays have been adjusted to fit in with other religions and promote the spread of Christianity. I think this was done when a certain religion was behaving quite corrupt-ly and also considered it heresy to say the earth was round, or that the earth revolved around the sun.

cappuccina said:
...Goodfellows is charity "with no strings attached"...They help everyone, and not just with toys, with food and clothes too...Also, they do NOT proselytize or try to convert anyone to anything. They just "Are"...they are there to help, with an emphasis on kids.

IMO, this is true charity...Having someone in your face proselytizing in return for your supper is disgusting and not charitable, IMO. True charity and giving is with no strings attached, religious or otherwise...

(*sniff* I am so sad...does no one except me and WOVC like my "jazzed up" religious figure dolls? :D)
I'll have one Jesus and one Buddha please :D

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname