Trial Discussion Thread #53 - 14.12.9, Day 42 ~ final verdict~

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has become clear to me that the judge knows nothing about domestic abuse and violence, not in the terms of this kind of relationship .. in the UK, it would be considered as classic, case book DV .. they are clearly quite behind in SA in understanding how abusive relationships work, and sadly they will not be able to use this case as something to learn by and to educate themselves more about it. Hopefully June will be able to do something more positive, via the charity set up in Reeva's name .. all I can say is that anyone who has been disappointed by the verdict, does something positive by supporting Reeva's charity .. at least we can then feel we are doing something to counter this travesty of justice.

The judge seemed to forget about the law as well! Some of the arguments put forward are plain weird...

Why the break?? I thought the Judge was done with her verdict. Isn't sentencing done at a later date? :confused:

People don't always get what they deserve in this world a quote from Lemony Snicket

Are they at recess? Will judge come back and make an announcement about sentencing date?

I think this is a great shame. i don't know anything about South African law but this verdict lacks simple commonsense to me.

It seems as though Oscar Pistorius might even walk away with no prison term at all for killing Reeva Steenkamp. I suppose Uncle Arnold is already looking around for his nephew's next sponsor. I hope Reeva's family can bring a civil suit.

I think OP will still have trouble getting into certain countries like the USA as they have stricter Visa rules these days and the UK has some kind of persona non grata rule tool

I sincerely hope we have some kind of "No dangerous, gun-crazy lunatics" rule here in the UK!

It has become clear to me that the judge knows nothing about domestic abuse and violence, not in the terms of this kind of relationship .. in the UK, it would be considered as classic, case book DV .. they are clearly quite behind in SA in understanding how abusive relationships work, and sadly they will not be able to use this case as something to learn by and to educate themselves more about it. Hopefully June will be able to do something more positive, via the charity set up in Reeva's name .. all I can say is that anyone who has been disappointed by the verdict, does something positive by supporting Reeva's charity .. at least we can then feel we are doing something to counter this travesty of justice.

Can the Steenkamps take him to a civil court as the Goldman's did with OJ and won?

I also predict a suspended sentence, he'll have to be good for a few years.

OP probably hit the track again, jmo.

It's with all this in mind I'll be following the Dewani trial in SA starting soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That will be quite different, because he's not famous and he's not SA's golden boy.

I think he may get a year in jail or prison. Maybe.

Can the Steenkamps take him to a civil court as the Goldman's did with OJ and won?

Probably, but he sold all his assets that the court knows of, so what they will receive? Pittance, I'd say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clueliz