TRIAL OF CHAD DAYBELL CHARGED WITH MURDER OF JJ VALLOW, TYLEE RYAN AND TAMMY DAYBELL #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
What'd I miss? My bluetooth died right then!:mad:
Prior was having her explain about all these positions in the LDS church and implying that she was using her "authority" as "High Society President" to tell CD that he couldn't write in the church building. She corrected him that it's RELIEF Society, that she doesn't consider that a position of authority, and that she was not speaking out about it as part of her position but simply as a member of the community.

As she has every right to do. Someone really needs a redirect here to mention that due to these writings, CD was excommunicated by the LDS church. "Doomsday prophet" indeed. It should be "Doomsday Charlatan".

I expected worse from Prior. He may be wearing down.
It seemed to me like he was treading very lightly with Heather. I think that he knew that the more she shared, the worse it would reflect on CD -- thus why he kept interrupting her, too; he was trying not to let her get TOO much in or say more than she absolutely needed to.

I think that High Society President was said on purpose, like Heather thought she was high and mighty and how dare Chad come along and try to ruin everything she had worked so hard for!
I 100% agree. That seems to be part of his M.O. -- playing the bumbling, confused questioner and "accidentally" sneaking in things to influence the jury's opinions, like how he brought up "that Hannibal Lector thing" when referencing AC's google searches, and how he says, "Oh, you don't remember that?" with certain witnesses, trying to make the jury question their memory against his narrative. His only real defense with Heather was to try to get the jury to see her as a meddling, nosy type who was just mad that people followed CD instead of her.

Next State witness (#44) is DAVE STUBBS, who also testified at LVD's trial. My notes from that trial:

24 - DAVE STUBBS: STATE WITNESS, Rexburg PD (summary 1, 2, 3, audio Apr20, audio Apr24)
Travel records, email, Fitbit, prescription, cell phones, insurance records; search for TR’s Jeep & welfare check (Nov 2019); wedding photos (Nov 2019)
X-EXAM: asks about forensic training, reiterates that only AC was at both locations on key dates

The HTC podcast with Heather Daybell is really helpful to understanding some Daybell family dynamics in CD's family of origin. It sounds to me that CD's mom had little to no power in the family structure, and was openly mocked for her body and any other shortcomings. Of course, that is HD's account, but I tend to trust her reporting of events.

I am not religious. I may have an entire axe shop to grind with organized religion, but I do understand and appreciate that it gives essential meaning to others.

However, I think that if the culture of a religion denies women fair access to power and control, it will always result in scary dysfunction somewhere. Also, if a religious culture places a premium on keeping up pleasant appearances in spite of dysfunction, that is where real atrocities can take cover.

Humans need a sense of agency and control to feel alive. It sounds to me that being a docile and accommodating homemaker is the traditional route for women to achieve peak authority in the LDS church. I believe LVD sought power and control through manipulating men because it was the only avenue she felt she had available to meet her insatiable need to control. She used her sexuality and creepy baby voice to lure in men who could give her money and position her power-adjacent because she was not interested in nor good at completing the traditional tasks of homemaking.

CD's mom, as opposed to LVD, appears to have gone limp in the face of her powerlessness. When the man in the family has full authority given by the church, women live in mortal fear of their own defiance all the time. It hurts less if you resign yourself and let it roll right over you. If you are looking for a zombie, this might be it. Of course, I do not really know who she is as a person, but this is the vibe I'm getting from the HTC podcast.

TD, on the other hand, kept putting out feelers to find her power elsewhere. I think her job gave her an opportunity to be free from CD's weird ideas and to be a rock star in her own arena. She also engaged in hobbies and activities where she could be a leader and receive praise and recognition. TD found a work-around, and I think she could have found a post-CD life where she could shine, if she had been given the chance.

Women are actual people. It is not to anyone's benefit to treat us like our ideas and priorities are irrelevant or that we will all be suited to a limited range of roles. This is not a threat, just feedback. If you share power and control fairly, we ALL benefit. If you deny fair access to power and control, people find another way, and it is MORE likely to be a manipulative way. Manipulation is the child of powerlessness.

The co-manipulation and power-jockeying between LVD and CD is all atangle, and it has a "which came first, the chicken or the egg" level of confusion. They were snared in the mess of each other's puppet strings and control sticks. BTW- what do they call the stick part? I want it to have a fun name like maniplulax or some such.

I remember the great trial lawyer Louis Nizer once described what he called the "rule of appropriateness." He said that you can tell the truth by all the myriad of actions that are appropriate. When people tell lies or pull shenanigans, they create ripples that inevitably stand out as not being appropriate. Chad's actions were so inappropriate throughout this nightmare that he painted himself as a guilty man.

Let's assume he is a truly innocent man on December 1, 2019, as he boards the plane to Hawaii with his new bride-to-be. ALL of his bizarre and suspicious behavior to this point is simply the result of very poor judgment and the conniving lies of his bride-to-be and her brother. Assume Lori has told him, the kids are fine. "Honey, just trust me!"

The story as to where the kids are is so good that this innocent man happily goes about life with his new wife in Hawaii for ten days when he learns the police are exhuming his dead wife's body and that his brother-in-law is dead the next day.

The innocent man enjoys the beach for another week when he learns that the Rexburg police have announced to the public that JJ and Tylee are missing and that their disappearance may be linked to the now-deemed suspicious death of his wife. Moreover, he learns the next day that the police publicly announce both he and his new wife are considered "persons of interest" in a criminal investigation.

Two more weeks in the Hawaiian sun pass when the innocent man learns a search warrant has been served on his home back in Salem, Idaho where authorities have taken computers, cell phones and various other items for analysis and the innocent man learns that a huge national news story is catching fire in which the press and public are clamoring and demanding to learn where the kids are.

In the next two weeks the innocent man learns the kids' grandparents have offered a $20K award for any information leading to the location of the kids while his brother makes a public plea through the press for him to cooperate and tell everything he knows.

The innocent man keeps working on his tan for another two weeks when on January 25, 2020, his new wife is served with a formal notice that she must produce the children in Idaho within 5 days. The next day the innocent man is confronted by Nate Eaton on camera asking where the children are, but he refuses to say anything.

Chad's behavior defies any rational explanation. Or, as Louis Nizer would say, his conduct was dramatically inappropriate for an innocent man. However, I'd say Chad's behavior is perfectly explainable and very appropriate for a guilty man.

I frankly believe his only hope would be to take the stand to convince the jury of his innocence. A task that would be almost certainly impossible to pull off unless he truly could explain his behavior.

I think so too.

Also, who the heck uses Put Your Shoulder to the Wheel as a funeral song? Chad has some super weird thoughts. Is this him insulting Tammy because the song is literally about working hard and he says she was lazy?
My first thought on this was that it seemed a bit odd…But then I thought about Tammy’s life. She grew up LDS and no doubt heard this song all of her life. She probably sang it around the house while doing chores and considering the difficult life she had, I could easily see where it could be one of her favorite songs. Her children might have thought it was a tribute to her to have it as the first song at her funeral.

I’m going to give CD a pass on this one.

PS My brother’s favorite song was “Werewolves of London” - he loved the aaahhhhooo howling part - would sing it at the top of his lungs every time he heard the song…but never in my wildest dreams would I have ever thought that song would be played at a funeral. And yet, my sister-in-law included it in the playlist and didn’t tell any of us it was coming. The entire congregation burst into laughter as soon as the song started playing - our tears and sadness instantly pushed aside for a moment as each remembered how his face would light up whenever the song played and how he would howl at the chorus. It was one of the oddest moments I’d ever experienced at a memorial. And yet it was exactly what my litte brother would have wanted - the song and the laughter.

My first thought on this was that it seemed a bit odd…But then I thought about Tammy’s life. She grew up LDS and no doubt heard this song all of her life. She probably sang it around the house while doing chores and considering the difficult life she had, I could easily see where it could be one of her favorite songs. Her children might have thought it was a tribute to her to have it as the first song at her funeral.

I’m going to give CD a pass on this one.

PS My brother’s favorite song was “Werewolves of London” - he loved the aaahhhhooo howling part - would sing it at the top of his lungs every time he heard the song…but never in my wildest dreams would I have ever thought that song would be played at a funeral. And yet, my sister-in-law included it in the playlist and didn’t tell any of us it was coming. The entire congregation burst into laughter as soon as the song started playing - our tears and sadness instantly pushed aside for a moment as each remembered how his face would light up whenever the song played and how he would howl at the chorus. It was one of the oddest moments I’d ever experienced at a memorial. And yet it was exactly what my litte brother would have wanted - the song and the laughter.
I grew up LDS as well. I've heard this song all my life. Not a funeral song at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drena519