TX TX - Caleb Harris, 21, Texas A&M University student, Corpus Christi, 4 Mar 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
@acutename 1st, no such thing as a stupid question. I did read on this thread that his stuff was delivered to his door, and the Uber delivery person was checked out. Can someone verify this please? TIA.
"They did investigate the driver of that Uber Eats and so far, what they've determined is that she was not involved," said Randy.

I can't recall if we know where he planned on going fishing? My DH would check out area's during trout season or if we got a lot of rain etc to see what the water looked like. Any chance that bridge area was a place he planned on going to the following day? IMO

Last edited:
Hi Simply Cass, I think everybody knows that CH’s father has said that CH was barefoot. But I think many are respectfully questioning how the father knows this. He has said it is from video.

We know there is at least one video of CH barefoot - the one where he is seen walking the dog with his room mates at around 1:00 am. Beyond that, there are no other videos that have been released to the public.

CH may have been barefoot in the 2:44 am Snapchat video he sent to his sister, but that video has not been released (and may now be lost in the ether, as Snapchat videos auto-delete. What was CH’s father’s source? Could it just be a presumption based on the approx. 1:00 am video?

Maybe CH’s sister clearly saw that CH was barefoot in the 2:44 am video (before he went back inside the apt.) and then told her father that information. But we have not heard that stated by either the sister or father. And even then, CH supposedly went back inside after the 2:44 am video, and could have put on slides or shoes before going back out again.

It’s also possible that CH was seen barefoot in a 3:03 am video, if this video exists / existed at all (this would be the bridge-over-a-canal video). But we have not heard CH’s father (or sister) say that the 3:03 am video is the source for their knowledge that CH was barefoot. Many have questioned whether there could even have been a 3:03 am video, as it was reported previously by several sources that CH’s phone was turned off (or was w/o power) by 2:58 am.

I admit that it may seem nit-picky, and that some might think I am suggesting that CH’s father is wrong - but I am not. I just think it benefits any investigation to be dealing with absolute facts whenever possible. I think many of us would respectfully like for CH’s father (and/or CH’s sister, or perhaps even a room mate) to clarify, being very specific): just who was it who physically saw CH walk away barefoot from The Cottages parking lot towards Ennis Joslin after 2:45 am?

Without that level of clarity, I think it’s only natural that many will continue to find it implausible that CH was barefoot, given the discomfort and hazard that often accompanies walking barefoot for a mile or more on asphalt roads and sandy shoulders perhaps laden with sea shells, rocks and maybe even broken bottles or metal from cans and other debris.

Nobody is questioning CH’s father’s sincerity or effort or desire or intentions, but having irrefutable facts will help all those seeking to help find CH.

Jmo
I don't think there was a video at 3:03. His parents said in the Wich video that his phone pinged right after 3:00. They also said, "we don't know exactly where he was..." MOO

Thinking more about places within a half mile or so of the last ping area that would be open 24 hrs. There aren’t many.

Anybody know if CH is a vaper? There is a Vape City at the corner of Wooldridge (same road that that St. Helena of the True Cross Church is on - which is the place where TE was searching about a week ago - I always wondered why there..?) and Rodd Field Rd. That Vape City is open 24 hrs.

If you are then on Rodd Field Rd. and you head toward Williams Dr and the Pain Management place and Med center, you’ll first pass Dewey’s Beer Garden on the right (but it supposedly closes at 2:00 am, but who knows, maybe somebody is around late?), then a large open area on the left that surrounds Bayshore Bible Church. I’ve read that there are sometimes homeless in this area.

Going further in the direction of Williams Dr. and you’ll come to the Rodd Field Rd - Holly Rd intersection (another location mentioned by CH’s father as an area where they were seeking possible ring videos). There is a Sunoco station on the right that is open 24 hrs.

Then it’s about a half mile to Williams Dr (but you pass Avid storage in the left, which has cameras from what I can see on GE). It seems like something had to have happened somewhere along Rodd Field Rd between Wooldridge Rd. and Williams Dr. (a 1 mile stretch).

Jmo

Yeah, though I don't see anything threatening in the photo. It's just mood. Even though it's foggy, it's not obscuring the view. He wouldn't have walked into the water because he didn't see it.

True.

I misread a prior post which had me thinking about the photo in different way which caused me to draw an incorrect assumption.

MAR 25, 2024
[...]

The timeline according to Randy Harris:

1 a.m.
– Caleb is seen on a Ring doorbell camera with his roommate, friend, and puppy.

2 a.m. – Roommate goes to sleep. Caleb is preparing his fishing reels for the next day. This is the last time his roommate sees Caleb.

2:44 a.m. – Caleb sends a Snapchat walking the new dog

2:58 a.m. – Caleb’s phone is turned off, or dies. It pings at his apartment complex

3:20 a.m. – Uber driver seen on surveillance camera with Caleb’s order. Notably, the footage could have a one-hour time swing.

Caleb’s Uber Eats order was still on his doorstep the next morning. It was a Red Bull energy drink and two lunchable’s.

[...]

Detectives at this point have interviewed Caleb’s roommates, friends, family, and acquaintances. In its update last week, CCPD said, “Detectives at this point have no reason to suspect any of these individuals had anything to do with Harris’s disappearance.” ...

[...]

Collier said the investigation has led the team to both New Braunfels and San Antonio, but couldn’t expand on why or who detectives were interested in interviewing.

Or sinister (as in "I'm in trouble").

I have a growing sense of dread about this case. Therefore, I'm almost compelled to see the photo of the bridge over the drainage canal as an attempt by this young man to signal something, like "I was right here." Taking a photo with a smartphone is quick, and you can do it surreptitiously.

The photo is atmospheric, for sure, with the fog-shrouded streetlights and the oblique angle of approach, but it's the thousand words every picture is worth that gives the image its power now, IMO. We know who took it and we know when he took it. We don't know why he took it or who he shared it with, but, as far as I know, it's the last thing we see him seeing. Apart from another phone ping somewhere around 3:00 a.m., that's it. His phone is dead and he's gone.

Unfortunately, I have no problem believing Caleb could have been taken. There's certainly not enough evidence yet to suggest otherwise.

JMO.

2:58 a.m. – Caleb’s phone is turned off, or dies. It pings at his apartment complex

3:20 a.m. – Uber driver seen on surveillance camera with Caleb’s order. Notably, the footage could have a one-hour time swing.
Is there some reason the 3:03am Snapchat of the bridge isn't included in the timeline here? Is that not verified? If so, is it the time or the actual existence that's unverified? But we've seen the actual bridge photo, so it's obviously real. Maybe they're not sure when it was taken? So where did the 3:03 a.m. time come from?

And how does that fit in with the timeline entry of "2:58 a.m. Caleb's phone is turned off, or dies"?

Doesn't your phone have to be ON to send a Snapchat photo (or is it video?) (I don't use Snapchat.) So do they think the phone was turned BACK on just to take this pic, and then it went back off again? Is it possible that the bridge pic was taken accidentally/unknowingly? It looks like a pic taken on purpose though, not all off-center/oddly-skewed like most of my accidentally-taken pics are.

And he sent this bridge pic to his sister? I guess he didn't caption it or add any comment with it at all? Wonder if she was asleep when she got it and also if she responded to it?

Snapchat more or less shows how long ago a Snap was taken, and also when it was sent. There are 3rd party apps that claim to be able to fake it such that you can use an older photo from your camera roll and have it appear without that heading, as if it were new, to the recipient, but I'm not sure if they really work, having never needed to do that. And I would think that there'd be a way to dig into the data and see that.

MOO -- re: the bare feet -- possibly he got into a car thinking he was just riding along to somewhere and back, and wasn't going to get out there, or at least not to walk far once he arrived. A drive-thru, or someone's house, or a trip to a store where he thought the driver would go in and he'd wait outside. The keys, I can see the same scenario. Didn't think he'd be gone long, didn't want to go back inside for them and possibly wake up the roommate or make him aware that he was going somewhere.

Trust me, nicotine use is alive and well for college students. Especially a young outdoorsy guy - I know as I am one. Going to pick up Zyn's or a vape at 3 am after you've been drinking would not be out of the norm for a college student at all.
It might depend on the subgroup that you are in.

As an average, nicotine use is declining amongst the young. There are as you allude to, however, subgroups where regular tobacco use is common and a run at 0300 to the store would be the norm.

Its been decades since I was in college, but outdoorsy types were associated with regular dip use in my state. Smoking was also fairly popular.

But... what about the current generation of outdoorsy types? Would a significant number still be regular tobacco users? I would venture a cautious "no".

Last edited:
I have a growing sense of dread about this case. Therefore, I'm almost compelled to see the photo of the bridge over the drainage canal as an attempt by this young man to signal something, like "I was right here." Taking a photo with a smartphone is quick, and you can do it surreptitiously.

The photo is atmospheric, for sure, with the fog-shrouded streetlights and the oblique angle of approach, but it's the thousand words every picture is worth that gives the image its power now, IMO. We know who took it and we know when he took it. We don't know why he took it or who he shared it with, but, as far as I know, it's the last thing we see him seeing. Apart from another phone ping somewhere around 3:00 a.m., that's it. His phone is dead and he's gone.

Unfortunately, I have no problem believing Caleb could have been taken. There's certainly not enough evidence yet to suggest otherwise.

JMO.

Your post explained my thoughts... almost exactly! Particularly, IF a photo/snap like the one we saw was something unusual for him to share.

There are some red flags in CC. Is LE investigating this disturbing trend?

I understand Caleb wasn't on a fishing trip but imo he took a walk that night, looked in the window of the tackle shop and wandered over to the bay. And disappeared.

Ivie Joe Gutierrez TX - TX - Ivie Gutierrez, 27, frequents Flour Bluff & Leopard areas, Corpus Christi, 20 Dec 2021

Last edited:
It might depend on the subgroup that you are in.

As an average, nicotine use is declining amongst the young. There are as you allude to, however, subgroups where regular tobacco use is common and a run at 0300 to the store would be the norm.

Its been decades since I was in college, but outdoorsy types were associated with regular dip use in my state. Smoking was also fairly popular.

But... what about the current generation of outdoorsy types? Would a significant number still be regular tobacco users? I would venture a cautious "no".
Re: your last point. I guess it depends on the area maybe? My son, his friends, and my son's fraternity brothers (when he was still in college) are all outdoorsy types. Almost all of them either chew tobacco, dip, vape and/or a combination of all three.

My son also played football in little league, high school and college. Almost all of his teammates at the high school and college level were the same as above.

ETA - he graduated college three years ago so he's not too far removed from college age.

Burning question that I haven't found an answer for yet. I am hoping you sleuths have already spoken of it here on past posts.

Isn't there any ring camera footage of him taking the dog for a walk, bringing her back in, and then walking out again barefoot? If there is ring camera of him earlier, with roommates and dog, then why none of him walking dog, and leaving barefoot? I know I am missing something? Help o_O

Collier said the investigation has led the team to both New Braunfels and San Antonio, but couldn’t expand on why or who detectives were interested in interviewing.
Well, this is interesting. San Antonio is about 2 hours away from Texas A&M and New Bruanfels is about 30 minutes from San Antonio. A kid goes missing at 3 am and the investigation is leading them 2 hours away to a different city??

Lots of info here. Caleb’s father and LE both are interviewed. Wish I had time to summarize.

Noting:

Harris and his roommates spend the evening outside with their new dog. A little after 1 a.m., he heads back inside and sends a Snapchat to his sister at 2:44 a.m. A minute later, Caleb Harris orders food through Uber Eats. When the Uber Eats driver arrives at 3:20 a.m., Harris is not in front of his apartment to accept the delivery, so the food is left at the doorstep.

When Caleb Harris’s roommates begin their day, they open the front door to find the Uber Eats food Caleb ordered still at the door. The roommates are looking for Harris. At 11 a.m. the roommates file a missing person report with police and notify Texas A&M Corpus Christi campus security that Harris is missing.

At 3 p.m., the parents Randy and Becky Harris are told their son is missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea