TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one is blaming the victim for his own death: I listened to the opening statement of the prosecutor this morning and it was excellent: it is a fact that Botham Jean's door was left unlocked: the defense has one reason the door was unlocked: (may or may not be true): the prosecution talks about the locking mechanism, but he does not dwell on the reason the door was not locked, just stated it was unfortunate it was not locked; THAT IS A FACT. The prosecutor's opening statement was short and sweet: he painted Amber Guyger as a police officer who became very distracted based most likely on a phone conversation she was having with her lover-ex-lover or whatever they were at that time and in the past, and because of that distraction she failed to notice all the things she should have noticed as she proceeded to what she thought was her apartment. He described her actions as unreasonable--- that her failure to recognize she was not on the right floor, and how she unreasonably failed to recognize all those things that should have triggered that knowledge: he showed the exhibit of the red door mat which i thought was very strong evidence: that should have stopped her in her tracks right there before she even attempted to gain entrance to Botham Jean's apartment.

The prosecution's opening statement is at variance with the Defense on the position of Botham Jean when he was shot; The defense made Botham Jean sound like a menace, like he was coming at her in the dark and presenting a threat so she had to shoot him. The prosecution stated that the trajectory of the bullet shows he was crouched over when he was shot, probably just getting off the couch to find out who the hell was coming thru his door. I think the strongest part of the opening statement was this: In her phone call to 911 she never said Botham Jean was a threat: she never said he was coming at her: she said 19 times she thought she was in her apartment and she shot who she thought was an intruder, but she never said he was threatening her. The prosecution basically said Amber Guyger just shot him dead because he was in what she thought was her apartment and that if he was a threat she would have said that on the 911 call.
Excellent summary. There was a poster on here who was blaming the victim, insinuating it was his own fault. I think that is what the post you quoted was referring to, not the defense argument or anything that happened in court.

Last edited:
Extremely powerful, imo.
Utter disrespect of a life (other than her own).
How do you miss the fact that the floor you parked on is open to the sky, whereas the floor you normally park on isn't?
Just to clarify, if anyone knows, the 4th floor parking is actually on the roof top? Like can be seen on Google satellite? That must look so different, not to mention it looks quite empty on Google. No wonder so easy to park near the entrance. If she claims she doesn't notice at all, that 'distraction' must have been immense.
Def. OS: AG was what she thought was her apartment when she encountered an intruder. ... It's dark in there and she is going from a well-lit hallway to a dark apartment....she's got tunnel vision. She's not looking to see if her little table is there.
Tunnel vision is a proper eye condition. She can't just claim an eye condition without medical examination (preferably BEFORE the event).
She has tunnel vision. She's in her apartment. 'My God there is a man in my apartment' and he's twice her size. ... he drowns her out and he's yelling "HEY HEY HEY." It's happening like this *snaps fingers*. ... 'Why's he not stopping? Why's he coming at me? Why is the display on my weapon not working? He must have a weapon. He must want to kill me because I caught him burglaring my apartment.' And he's within 15 feet, he's getting closer. ... 'I'm displaying a gun, I'm wearing a police uniform. He must have meant to kill me.' And she fires her police weapon.

He says the second shot went in an upward angle from recoil because she shot quickly back to back shots.
He says Jean was 15 feet from the doorway when he was shot. His flip flops were on the floor, and used to approximate where he was. He says the flip flops were away from the couch.
Forensic evidence is very needed to collaborate such a narrative...

In the prosecutor's opening statement he said the bullet entry wound and travel showed he was in a "crouched" position as if he were midway from sitting to standing. It will be interesting to hear forensic experts testimony.
A crouching position could also be a defensive one. Not surprising, since he had a gun pointing at him.

Last but not least, thanks for all the reports and links everyone! I am not watching live from my timezone.

Unless the gun was already in her hand ready to fire then she had time to reach for the gun and aim. If the lights weren’t on then how did she know where to shoot? How did she know there was an intruder if the lights were off? At the point she shoots she’s still assuming it’s her apartment so why not turn a light on to check it’s not a friend or relative especially if the door was unlocked? I have trouble understanding how she couldn’t see to realise she was in the wrong apartment yet could see the intruder and shoot him dead. All in the dark? Was she shooting aimlessly into the space in front of her or what?
Apparently she is claiming tunnel vision, which allowed her to see the victim, but not her table that was absent.
Tunnel vision - Wikipedia

Unless the gun was already in her hand ready to fire then she had time to reach for the gun and aim. If the lights weren’t on then how did she know where to shoot? How did she know there was an intruder if the lights were off? At the point she shoots she’s still assuming it’s her apartment so why not turn a light on to check it’s not a friend or relative especially if the door was unlocked? I have trouble understanding how she couldn’t see to realise she was in the wrong apartment yet could see the intruder and shoot him dead. All in the dark? Was she shooting aimlessly into the space in front of her or what?

That is why i asked the question earlier- how do we know it was dark and if it was how could she anything? it does not make sense: if she goes into what she thinks is her apt, why doesn't she turn the light on? there is so much about this scenario that does not make sense

Apparently she is claiming tunnel vision, which allowed her to see the victim, but not her table that was absent.

So not buying this at all. Apparently AG is color blind, and has severe field loss. None of which ever impacted her ability to drive or work as an LEO.

Good question though, since she is so easily distracted, I wonder how many car accidents she has had?

If Botham Jean was in a crouching position, ie, "defensive", could he see that she had a gun? If he could see that, there was enough light for AG to actually realize that this was not her apartment.
He was hit by the second shot. He may have very good reflexes, and had a fraction of a second to make himself as small of a target as possible. IMO

Utter disrespect of a life (other than her own).
Just to clarify, if anyone knows, the 4th floor parking is actually on the roof top? Like can be seen on Google satellite? That must look so different, not to mention it looks quite empty on Google. No wonder so easy to park near the entrance. If she claims she doesn't notice at all, that 'distraction' must have been immense.

Tunnel vision is a proper eye condition. She can't just claim an eye condition without medical examination (preferably BEFORE the event).

Forensic evidence is very needed to collaborate such a narrative...

A crouching position could also be a defensive one. Not surprising, since he had a gun pointing at him.

Last but not least, thanks for all the reports and links everyone! I am not watching live from my timezone.

Tunnel Vision is also commonly used to describe when you are totally focused on something to the point that you are unaware of other things. It may not be the true medical definition, but it is a common phrase.

He was hit by the second shot. He may have very good reflexes, and had a fraction of a second to make himself as small of a target as possible. IMO
Or if the first shot flew over his head, he naturally would want to duck.

I didn't know which shot had missed... was it said yesterday?

Tunnel Vision is also commonly used to describe when you are totally focused on something to the point that you are unaware of other things. It may not be the true medical definition, but it is a common phrase.
Someone needs to explain that clearly in court IMO.

So not buying this at all. Apparently AG is color blind, and has severe field loss. None of which ever impacted her ability to drive or work as an LEO.

Good question though, since she is so easily distracted, I wonder how many car accidents she has had?
What a crock. If her vision had those impairments it seems highly unlikely she would have passed her examination for hire. Why doesn't she take a plea? She'd be much better off in my amateur opinion, and spare his family what they are going through with this trial. I am so disgusted by this case.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I'm still so confused about what the judge did rule out from texts. I re-watched her response to that objection and she said, "the texts from that day would be allowed except as it pertained to anyone's relationship status." Followed up by, "Do I make myself clear?"
Especially because of that last comment, I wonder if the Prosecution's insinuation that there was a development in their relationship that evening (presumably a breakup) did in fact happen. Not sure why that would help the defense to keep it from the jury or why the judge would deem it irrelevant or too prejudicial though, if that is what happened. The sexting is way more likely to disturb the jury then a breakup would IMO

I'm still so confused about what the judge did rule out from texts. I re-watched her response to that objection and she said, "the texts from that day would be allowed except as it pertained to anyone's relationship status." Followed up by, "Do I make myself clear?"
Especially because of that last comment, I wonder if the Prosecution's insinuation that there was a development in their relationship that evening (presumably a breakup) did in fact happen. Not sure why that would help the defense to keep it from the jury or why the judge would deem it irrelevant or too prejudicial though, if that is what happened. The sexting is way more likely to disturb the jury then a breakup would IMO

I think they were too graphic there is a snapchat that says "wanna touch" I would assume there is a pic of something to "cough cough " touch ...ick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clueliz