TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep thinking that he couldn't have made it too far in 67 minutes. I can walk a mile in 20 minutes. A good runner could run a mile in 10 minutes. If he was moving in a linear direction which is unlikely the distance he could've made is max 6 or 7 miles. I don't see how he could be outside the search area. MOO

Weren’t the clothes 900 feet away from the wrecked car, as opposed to the backpack, which was close? Or did I hear that wrong?
Initially, it was reported the backpack was located 100 ft south of the wrecked vehicle, and the latest briefing by CCSO places both the backpack and the clothing (located by KL), 900 feet from the crash site. I believe the body-worn camera (BWC) depicts the items on the road not too far apart on the road. MOO

I keep thinking that he couldn't have made it too far in 67 minutes. I can walk a mile in 20 minutes. A good runner could run a mile in 10 minutes. If he was moving in a linear direction which is unlikely the distance he could've made is max 6 or 7 miles. I don't see how he could be outside the search area. MOO
An interesting analysis. And I agree it's hard to see how he went beyond the searched area.

But the 67 minutes is the interval between when his phone was last pinged in Luling up until when his car was found on SFR. There's no way to tell when the clock starts or stops for him being on foot. During some part of that 67 minutes he walked or ran 900 feet then he abandoned his backpack, fish, and clothes. After that he could have been on the move all night long. Albeit, this is not very likely given his situation.

The fire fighter returning from a call that discovered JL's accident was undoubtedly from the same fire department. I don't see anything sinister in that connection, just two tragedies to have to deal with in a short time.
I don't see anything sinister in that connection either, but I never suggested that there was. I did not suggest that any firefighter(s) were connected to JL's disappearance - or that any firefighters were even connected to the same fire department. My post had nothing to do with firefighters, but rather suggested that there may have been criminal activity (meth labs) within just a few miles of JL's crash site. Jmo

WE discussed the first one upthread, it was a sad case of a family shooting caused by mental illness as far as I recall.
There is nothing to connect both cases.
A family shooting? Caused by mental illness? I can find no msm or LE info to support your claim. Could you please provide a link? TIA

I never said the cases were connected (please re-read my post), only that there may have been meth labs located in a remote area where Manning and his cousin were killed by a deranged man from Austin, TX who thought he was being chased by aliens dressed as firefighters - an area only a few miles away from where JL's car was found. Jmo

Last edited:
I don't see anything sinister in that connection either, but I never suggested that there was. I did not suggest that any firefighter(s) were connected to JL's disappearance - or that any firefighters were even connected to the same fire department. My post had nothing to do with firefighters, but rather suggested that there may have been criminal activity (meth labs) within just a few miles of JL's crash site. Jmo
I agree that shooting is an indication of crime in the area. Meth houses aren’t uncommon in rural Texas for sure, and there are just so many unknowns in JL’s case so it’s a possible connection. I don’t think those abandoned houses were meth houses or we would have heard about it, but that was one of my first thoughts in this case. Right now I don’t really have any reason to think meth had anything to do with JL disappearing, but who knows!

A family shooting? Caused by mental illness? I can find no msm or LE info to support your claim. Could you please provide a link? TIA

I never said the cases were connected (please re-read my post), only that there may have been meth labs located in a remote area where Manning and his cousin were killed by a deranged man from Austin, TX who thought he was being chased by aliens dressed as firefighters - an area only a few miles away from where JL's car was found. Jmo
No problem
Affidavit: Man accused of killing two Caldwell Co. teens thought aliens were chasing him

Austin man shot 2 Luling teens because he thought they were ‘aliens,' affidavit says

Vol. FF shot, killed by man who thought he was being chased by aliens

The tragedy of the two young men on a 4-wheeler killed while checking for fires was discussed at length in Thread #1. I recall the suspect, a mentally ill man who believed the victims were aliens. Shortly after killing the men, the suspect confessed to his brothers that he killed "the aliens" chasing him, and the family contacted the police.

In terms of comparison to other cases, I wonder if there is any potential that Jason was intending to leave and not inform his family on purpose.

Maybe he was going to meet with someone on SFR and then the accident occurred, but he continued his plan to depart with whoever he was meeting....

Maybe a Catherine Grove scenario?

This seems unlikely but perhaps possible....

As I said. No link suggests the firefighter was killed by family - or that the murderer was mentally ill.

I simply suggested that there may have been (and may still be) meth labs in the area where the firefighter was killed, which is only a few miles from the location at which JL's car was found. The implication is that this might have been a very dangerous area to be in, late at night. Nothing more, nothing less. Jmo

In terms of comparison to other cases, I wonder if there is any potential that Jason was intending to leave and not inform his family on purpose.

Maybe he was going to meet with someone on SFR and then the accident occurred, but he continued his plan to depart with whoever he was meeting....

I’ve considered that too. Maybe he thought that he would be putting his fish in someone else’s care or taking with him. The toiletries in a baggy are kind of typical of boys, but also, could be strange they aren’t in a tote or something. But why he didn’t take those things is odd. Unless the other party had different plans than he did. Maybe it is easier to consider this alternative because it allows for a glimmer of hope that he is alive somewhere. I’d love it to be true. But the realist thinks the odds are very minute that he left with someone purposefully.

I’ve considered that too. Maybe he thought that he would be putting his fish in someone else’s care or taking with him. The toiletries in a baggy are kind of typical of boys, but also, could be strange they aren’t in a tote or something. But why he didn’t take those things is odd. Unless the other party had different plans than he did. Maybe it is easier to consider this alternative because it allows for a glimmer of hope that he is alive somewhere. I’d love it to be true. But the realist thinks the odds are very minute that he left with someone purposefully.
Agreed, slim chance he left intentionally. The Catherine Grove case is the only other one I could find that belongings were intentionally abandoned and the lack of contact with family was also intentional. Not sure if Jason harbored similar types of beliefs or not.

The tragedy of the two young men on a 4-wheeler killed while checking for fires was discussed at length in Thread #1. I recall the suspect, a mentally ill man who believed the victims were aliens. Shortly after killing the men, the suspect confessed to his brothers that he killed "the aliens" chasing him, and the family contacted the police.
I think it is possible that the volunteer firefighter may have stumbled across criminal activity while investigating smoke in the area. If there is criminal activity in an area near to where JL's car was found, I think that is relevant information. Jmo

I agree that shooting is an indication of crime in the area. Meth houses aren’t uncommon in rural Texas for sure, and there are just so many unknowns in JL’s case so it’s a possible connection. I don’t think those abandoned houses were meth houses or we would have heard about it, but that was one of my first thoughts in this case. Right now I don’t really have any reason to think meth had anything to do with JL disappearing, but who knows!
There is discussion - significant discussion on "meth houses". Methamphetamine manufacturing, while it used to be hugely popular in rural areas, has declined significantly while meth abuse has increased. Almost all meth nowadays is manufactured in Mexico. While there could certainly be a meth connection here, I don't think a meth house is going to have any part in this and I would be highly surprised if there were any homes out there being used to manufacture or cook meth. Meth users and meth distribution is a different story..

IMO I don't find it very unlikely. In fact, that's exactly what I recently started thinking may have happened. That there was supposed to be a hookup which is why he turned off Waze (no longer needed) and turned on SnapChat (so whatever was said/seen would disappear after so many seconds). SnapMap could have been used to get him to Point B. Maybe Point B was the road he was on, maybe it wasn't. But it really is an odd place to end up if everything was on the up and up.

I've also seen a few people (not here, nor is it anything I can discuss here) say things that make my above opinion likely. Something is is just not right with this case and it's hard to put your finger on it. We know he was planning on staying a while wherever it was he was going or he wouldn't have brought his fish with him. Not like it's a dog that loves going for car rides! lol His father admitted on the video that he hadn't said he was coming... I just think they believe that's where he likely was going. I still haven't seen any evidence that answers my question.... does he normally inform parents he is coming for long visits... or simply shows up? I'm guessing he'd tell them first but I could be wrong.

As I said. No link suggests the firefighter was killed by family - or that the murderer was mentally ill.

I simply suggested that there may have been (and may still be) meth labs in the area where the firefighter was killed, which is only a few miles from the location at which JL's car was found. The implication is that this might have been a very dangerous area to be in, late at night. Nothing more, nothing less. Jmo
That the murderer thought he had to kill two aliens who were chasing him might indicate he had some mental health issues.

I don't know how dangerous that area is, but just the fact that it was so isolated, dark and cold may have contributed to Jason's disappearance. He may have wandered a long way before LE arrived at the scene.

Imo

IMO I don't find it very unlikely. In fact, that's exactly what I recently started thinking may have happened. That there was supposed to be a hookup which is why he turned off Waze (no longer needed) and turned on SnapChat (so whatever was said/seen would disappear after so many seconds). SnapMap could have been used to get him to Point B. Maybe Point B was the road he was on, maybe it wasn't. But it really is an odd place to end up if everything was on the up and up.

I've also seen a few people (not here, nor is it anything I can discuss here) say things that make my above opinion likely. Something is is just not right with this case and it's hard to put your finger on it. We know he was planning on staying a while wherever it was he was going or he wouldn't have brought his fish with him. Not like it's a dog that loves going for car rides! lol His father admitted on the video that he hadn't said he was coming... I just think they believe that's where he likely was going. I still haven't seen any evidence that answers my question.... does he normally inform parents he is coming for long visits... or simply shows up? I'm guessing he'd tell them first but I could be wrong.
I have been leaning into his leaving also. Not because he was unhappy with his family or life but to the contrary, because he believed he was moving into a life that had even more meaning.

That the murderer thought he had to kill two aliens who were chasing him might indicate he had some mental health issues.

I don't know how dangerous that area is, but just the fact that it was so isolated, dark and cold may have contributed to Jason's disappearance. He may have wandered a long way before LE arrived at the scene.

Imo
Yes, MsBetsy, I agree that that is one possibility. I thought another possibility for the fact that the murderer thought he had to kill two aliens who were chasing him might have been if he was recently high on drugs and hallucinating. I was just speculating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catheonlineghost