TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been wondering about the phone. If you were alone on a cold dark night and ended up in a ditch, seems like first thing would be to check/find your phone. His dad said in the interview he found it the next day at the tow yard in between the seat and console which made me think, maybe Jason couldn’t find it. But now I’m wondering what if the police found it that night, checked it, threw it back in the car and then during the tow process, it got bounced off the seat and wedged. If that was the case, then that would be weird that Jason took everything else from the car but not the phone. And if the interior lights in the car worked and Jason could search for it, I don’t think he would have left the car until he found his phone. And could the clothes scattered on the road be contents of his backpack and not the clothes he had on? Also, did anyone check if the car was drivable or did they just immediately assume no and tow it. I’m leaning toward a staged scene MOO

Or maybe it wasn't Jason doing the driving on SFR and it was staged as you said. And of all the things I think LE did and didn't do that night... picking up his phone and throwing it back in isn't one of them. What's odd for me is the fact his digital footprint stops back near the park in Luling (where he should have turned IF going home). So likely the phone made it between the seats at that point. Maybe something went wrong with whomever he Snapped with (whoever it was he was driving to Luling in the middle of the night to meet, IMO. I think it was supposed to be a pitstop on his way to his friends house, THEN to his parents once his sister arrive. (Boy, I feel like a broken record saying the same things over and over. LOL)).

And I agree those clothes might not what he actually was wearing during his drive. They were what he was wearing shortly before he left the house. I think it's likely he changed, knowing he was going to make a quick stop in Luling AND it was really cold that night. He could have stuffed them in his backpack for his mom to wash. It's possible the stagers were pulling stuff out to check for something. Obviously they had no interest in his gaming equipment as it wasn't taken, but what we don't know is what WAS taken, if anything was. There would be no way for us to know the entire contents of his backpack as he packed it.

And I had to do a double-take at your name. Your pic looks a LOT like @diggndeeperstill 's pic. I thought you were her, for a minute, and wondered why you posted what you did. lol

I too think the scene was possibly staged.

Last edited:
I’ve been wondering about the phone. If you were alone on a cold dark night and ended up in a ditch, seems like first thing would be to check/find your phone. His dad said in the interview he found it the next day at the tow yard in between the seat and console which made me think, maybe Jason couldn’t find it. But now I’m wondering what if the police found it that night, checked it, threw it back in the car and then during the tow process, it got bounced off the seat and wedged. If that was the case, then that would be weird that Jason took everything else from the car but not the phone. And if the interior lights in the car worked and Jason could search for it, I don’t think he would have left the car until he found his phone. And could the clothes scattered on the road be contents of his backpack and not the clothes he had on? Also, did anyone check if the car was drivable or did they just immediately assume no and tow it. I’m leaning toward a staged scene MOO

Although LE has made some poor judgments/errors, I doubt a scenario where they looked inside, found the phone, and chucked it back in. It seems that LE considered it a "abandoned car" type situation and wouldn't have any reason to enter the car or otherwise look around. There would also have been no reason to check if the car was driveable - the driver wasn't there, the priority was to move it so that it doesn't block traffic.

It has come up whether the clothes found could have been from his backpack. I am of the camp that it wasn't. His backpack had a laptop, his PS4 (gaming equipment), and his wallet - seems pretty full. The apt complex Jason lived in has a washer and dryer in every apt, so there wouldn't have been any reason for him to bring clothes home, and I doubt he would have only packed one set. KL's description of how he found the clothing also suggests that Jason was running/walking as he took his clothing off - his shirt, pants, slides, underwear - not randomly scattered.

Speculation/MOO.

I have followed this case from the beginning and I am pretty much a fence sitter, but I am leaning toward the scenario that he smoked some of his weed he had with him and it just happened to have something in it that should not have been there. He either freaked out and spun out of control, saw a deer and veered off, but something caused the car accident. If he was having ill effects from the tainted grass, then I think that is why he undressed, ran away and is probably not far away, just hasn't been located.

How many times have we heard that a body was found within feet of searchers and it was missed?

I wish he could be found.

Although LE has made some poor judgments/errors, I doubt a scenario where they looked inside, found the phone, and chucked it back in. It seems that LE considered it a "abandoned car" type situation and wouldn't have any reason to enter the car or otherwise look around. There would also have been no reason to check if the car was driveable - the driver wasn't there, the priority was to move it so that it doesn't block traffic.

It has come up whether the clothes found could have been from his backpack. I am of the camp that it wasn't. His backpack had a laptop, his PS4 (gaming equipment), and his wallet - seems pretty full. The apt complex Jason lived in has a washer and dryer in every apt, so there wouldn't have been any reason for him to bring clothes home, and I doubt he would have only packed one set. KL's description of how he found the clothing also suggests that Jason was running/walking as he took his clothing off - his shirt, pants, slides, underwear - not randomly scattered.

Speculation/MOO.

It wasn't blocking traffic, nor the road, which is why I've asked often.... why tow it so quickly? So to me there was no priority to move it so quickly which I have also questioned. So just WHAT was their rush? (There. I did it again. lol)

In either one of the articles or the interview w/ Jason’s dad, wasn’t it shared nobody entered the vehicle until his father did at the tow yard?
(Or am I getting cases mixed up?!)

Speculation/MOO.
I agree, It seems implausible LE would find the phone and then toss it back in the car. They have also stated they did not enter the car. I have also been puzzled by the quick removal of the car. But there really is little traffic on SFR to block and the car was well off the road according to the one picture taken pre-tow. I think LE wanted to give business to the tow company and may have had a monetary motive like, if we can't catch this non-local and possibly inebriated person who wrecked and abandoned their car here, we can at least get them to pay to get it back from the impound lot.

In either one of the articles or the interview w/ Jason’s dad, wasn’t it shared nobody entered the vehicle until his father did at the tow yard?
(Or am I getting cases mixed up?!)

Found what I was referring to..

The volunteer firefighter, who discovered Jason’s abandoned vehicle, did not enter the vehicle. The Trooper who responded to the scene, almost an hour later, also did not enter the vehicle. The vehicle was towed from the scene to an impound yard, where the next morning, Jason’s father, the registered owner of the vehicle, entered the vehicle through the unlocked driver’s side door, and discovered Jason’s cell phone between the driver’s seat and the center console. It is unknown if the phone fell as Jason was operating the vehicle through the intersection of Austin St and Magnolia Ave. or during the collision. Jason’s father collected the phone and attempted to locate the scene of the collision.

from Statement CCSO’s statement:

Jason’s vehicle was found abandoned, lights on, with the keys in the ignition, and the front passenger side door locked.

The vehicle collision is a single vehicle collision, most likely from over correcting on the gravel road, and spinning off the roadway. The rear driver’s side corner made initial contact with a tree on the east side of the roadway, propelling the front driver’s side into another tree and barbed wire fence.

There is no evidence that any other vehicle or outside force was involved in the collision.

All of the evidence collected leads investigators to be confident that the contact with the trees and fence line was the only contact the vehicle sustained. The rear window of the vehicle was broken as a result of the impact with a tree.

I have followed this case from the beginning and I am pretty much a fence sitter, but I am leaning toward the scenario that he smoked some of his weed he had with him and it just happened to have something in it that should not have been there. He either freaked out and spun out of control, saw a deer and veered off, but something caused the car accident. If he was having ill effects from the tainted grass, then I think that is why he undressed, ran away and is probably not far away, just hasn't been located.

How many times have we heard that a body was found within feet of searchers and it was missed?

I can see that as well, but no lighter found, no ash, no remnant blunt, no roach clip. Those are big for me.

Found what I was referring to..

The volunteer firefighter, who discovered Jason’s abandoned vehicle, did not enter the vehicle. The Trooper who responded to the scene, almost an hour later, also did not enter the vehicle. The vehicle was towed from the scene to an impound yard, where the next morning, Jason’s father, the registered owner of the vehicle, entered the vehicle through the unlocked driver’s side door, and discovered Jason’s cell phone between the driver’s seat and the center console. It is unknown if the phone fell as Jason was operating the vehicle through the intersection of Austin St and Magnolia Ave. or during the collision. Jason’s father collected the phone and attempted to locate the scene of the collision.
Carefully worded... did the tow truck driver enter?

Fence-sitter here too, but leaning more toward a head injury. It's amazing how elusive human remains can be.

Vanessa Guillen's body was eventually found in a spot that had been previosly covered by searchers and cadaver dogs. In fact, the searchers had been standing on the exact location weeks earlier.

I think JLs clothes on the road were found by his dad and taken home. Aren't the LE pictures after the clothes were retrieved from Jason's family? MOO

correct.
Jason’s dad retrieved the clothes from the road. He was also given Jason’s backpack and the contents of that backpack (minus the marijuana). In return, Jason’s father gave LE the phone.

Carefully worded... did the tow truck driver enter?

I 100% agree with you on that. I believe CCSO most likely followed the “professional opinion” of the their lawyer. IMO...
I could be totally wrong, but I strongly believe the very specific and detailed press release has a purpose beyond just LE providing a great deal of info to the public.

I think the months passing and Jason not being found is what may be a factor as far as people starting to think, or maybe more people, that the accident was staged and he was abducted...although nothing really points to it, imo.

I hope some search groups pick up on Jason’s case again soon and do searches even without any new info...

It wasn't blocking traffic, nor the road, which is why I've asked often.... why tow it so quickly? So to me there was no priority to move it so quickly which I have also questioned. So just WHAT was their rush? (There. I did it again. lol)
Strictly my opinion here but, if I were the LEO on this scene, I'd think it looked a lot like the driver was under the influence and had fled the scene of the accident - or was possibly hiding nearby waiting for me to leave the scene. So I would have the vehicle towed to make sure they didn't attempt to drive away (while still possibly under the influence) - or somehow remove the vehicle from the scene themselves - if the vehicle were left there until morning. LE could have possibly also left the clothes & backpack there with the assumption that the driver may want to get dressed again when they returned.

Again, simply my opinion. And looking at it that way, I don't see anything out of the ordinary at all in having the car towed right away.

Strictly my opinion here but, if I were the LEO on this scene, I'd think it looked a lot like the driver was under the influence and had fled the scene of the accident - or was possibly hiding nearby waiting for me to leave the scene. So I would have the vehicle towed to make sure they didn't attempt to drive away (while still possibly under the influence) - or somehow remove the vehicle from the scene themselves - if the vehicle were left there until morning. LE could have possibly also left the clothes & backpack there with the assumption that the driver may want to get dressed again when they returned.

Again, simply my opinion. And looking at it that way, I don't see anything out of the ordinary at all in having the car towed right away.

I have no idea what LE's rules are for these sorts of situations but what you just described sure seems not only plausible, but very interesting to consider. Appreciate you posting that!!! I love having my eyes opened. lol

Hi everyone. I just thought I would add my 2 cents. I have stated previously that pot makes me crazy, and why I don't smoke. I was one time on the river with friends on a docked sail boat. It was a beautiful night and we (3 of us) smoked. Well, I immediately got paranoid, and the river looked very ominous and I said I was going home. It was a very long dock, and unbeknownst to be my purse was not closed. All the way along the dock, my things were falling out of my purse. Fortunately, my friend saw this and brought the items to my car. I said I can drive home, despite his insistence that I don't. Well, I had lived in the same house (only a few miles away) for over ten years, and I couldn't find my way home. I was driving around and nothing looked familiar and I kept thinking, where am I. This was before cell phones, so no way to call. I was scared to death I was going to get pulled over and I just wanted to get home. Fortunately, the railroad tracks alerted me to my whereabouts and I made it home. Sorry for so long, but maybe something like this happened to Jason. By the way, that was the very last time I smoked. MOO Katt

snipped by me

Jason left his vehicle in such a way it's almost like he intended to return to it. To get his phone, turn the lights off, lock it...

So what happened????

bbm.
To the responders, the situation may have appeared to be nothing more than: an impaired driver wrecks the car, can't figure out a quick way to drive off, and flees the scene of the accident to avoid police and the repercussions that come from getting caught driving drunk/high/impaired.

To the responders, the way he left his car and belongings may have further convinced them that he was planning to return once the coast was clear. Therefore, towing the vehicle was a surefire way to prevent the (possibly impaired/reckless) driver from leaving the scene of the accident. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RyanO9600