Found Safe TX - LF, 9, & dad, Hector Flores Jr, 49, hiking @ Big Bend Natl Park, 28 Jan 2022 *Arrest*

Yeah, I’m pretty sure it is. There’s not a lot for miles on either side so it seems like a lot of difficult hiking, but I’m sure it can be done. If they got lost from where their truck was left, and ended up across the river in Mexico, they were probably out there in bad conditions for a long time. How did they eat? It must have been horrible!
Was it ever reported why they left the truck? Did it break down?

"Seeking to purchase food" seems like a strange thing to do if you've been lost in freezing temperatures for many days...

I think it's vague on purpose..."Seeking to purchase food", could simply mean they were at a grocery store or diner.
My hunch is they were not exposed to the elements for days..MOO

How they got to Boquillas would be total speculation. Why they were there is another. The odds are, we will never find out.

Last edited:
I've been mulling this over. There is no way they could have ended up in Boquillas, Mexico after wandering lost for many days. Simply no way. The brief news reports state they were in "healthy" condition. Was it a staged disappearance? Only Hector Flores knows.

My impression is they were located in Boquillas del Carmen, Mexico.

The southern end of Old Ore Road is close to Rio Grande Village, a major developed campground in the park accessed by a nice paved road, and also the location of a legal crossing into Mexico.

The tiny village of Boquillas del Carmen, where Hector and LF were found, is a half mile from that crossing, and welcomes and is economically dependent on tourists. I can't imagine Hector and LF being there without most of the residents knowing, but who knows where they were actually staying.

The park service has a page about visiting Boquillas: Visiting Boquillas, Mexico
Boquillas has it's own website in English: Boquillas Internation Ferry -- Your Ride to the Other Side: What you need to know.

Also, the Rio Grande is incredibly low right now. It would likely be easy to wade across.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been mulling this over. There is no way they could have ended up in Boquillas, Mexico after wandering lost for many days. Simply no way. The brief news reports state they were in "healthy" condition. Was it a staged disappearance? Only Hector Flores knows.

My impression is they were located in Boquillas del Carmen, Mexico.

The southern end of Old Ore Road is close to Rio Grande Village, a major developed campground in the park accessed by a nice paved road, and also the location of a legal crossing into Mexico.

The tiny village of Boquillas del Carmen, where Hector and LF were found, is a half mile from that crossing, and welcomes and is economically dependent on tourists. I can't imagine Hector and LF being there without most of the residents knowing, but who knows where they were actually staying.

The park service has a page about visiting Boquillas: Visiting Boquillas, Mexico
Boquillas has it's own website in English: Boquillas Internation Ferry -- Your Ride to the Other Side: What you need to know.

Also, the Rio Grande is incredibly low right now. It would likely be easy to wade across.
Agree. Getting lost just doesn’t make sense with where they were found and how this played out. So weird how far away from the border they left the truck! How did they get from the truck 30 miles through desert and mountains to the border and then not contact anybody? And why? They must not have wanted to be found IMO. Very strange.

From this article:

“An investigation into this incident is still underway. No additional information is available at this time,” NPS said in a release.

I'm just going to say it. I am so glad they were found safe, but I am also extremely glad there is going to be some sort of investigation. To be perfectly honest, from minute one I had a "off" vibe - not cartels etc, just a domestic "off" which we certainly see here on Websleuths all the time. And the fact that someone from the Mexican town they were found in called in the missing pair, not the dad increases my suspicion.

Thank you to all on this thread who know Big Bend and the area. If they had walked all that way, I would think they would be at least checked out at a hospital, not trying to purchase food.

As I've said before in these found "safe" situations - glad to have some official eyes on this little girl and so glad she is alive. I would sincerely love to be an erroneously, overly suspicious mom and have this be a miraculous journey.

ETA - January 28 - February 15 is a long time to be trekking through a national park unscathed and a long time for a little girl to be out of school (if that time wasn't spent lost in a national forest). Not to mention family didn't report them missing for a week - a school week. Last thought - and dad didn't tell his family where they were going!

Last edited:
I'm just going to say it. I am so glad they were found safe, but I am also extremely glad there is going to be some sort of investigation.

A huge search was mounted in the park, including air support with at least one plane and a helicopter. That's a very expensive proposition. I did a quick google search and the park service picks up the tab for search and rescue missions, but I wonder what entity is handling the investigation. Park Service? FBI?

Is it possible Hector prearranged to drive to BBNP with LF, abandoned his truck and MET with someone (from US side or Mexican side) who then drove them across the border?

With the cold, wintry weather and rugged terrain, no way they could have made it that distance on their own by foot. Never made a phone call after getting into Mexico. Sure sounds like he wanted to disappear ... Which leads me to the next question: is he a custodial parent? Is this somehow a child custody issue?

JMO

Is it possible Hector prearranged to drive to BBNP with LF, abandoned his truck and MET with someone (from US side or Mexican side) who then drove them across the border?

With the cold, wintry weather and rugged terrain, no way they could have made it that distance on their own by foot.

I agree! At this point wrap my head around any other explanation. The weird part that makes no sense to me is WHERE the truck was abandoned.

Going with this interpretation of events, they were driven to the border crossing near Rio Grande Village, waded across the river and were picked up on the Mexican side. There's no vehicle crossing there -- it's wade or row boat across. Nothing else makes sense for them to end up in Boquillas, Mexico.

I'd recommend visiting Google maps and entering "Rio Grande Village, Big Bend National Park", or "Boqillas del Carmen, Coahuila, MX", or "Boquillas Crossing Port of Entry, Big Bend National Park" and select Terrain from the viewing options. This puts you right in the area where they would have crossed into Mexico. You can also enter "Old Ore Road, Big Bend National Park" and follow along from north to south, where it intersects the paved park road.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-18 8.24.42 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-18 8.24.42 AM.png
    641 KB · Views: 21

With the cold, wintry weather and rugged terrain, no way they could have made it that distance on their own by foot. Never made a phone call after getting into Mexico. Sure sounds like he wanted to disappear ... Which leads me to the next question: is he a custodial parent? Is this somehow a child custody issue?

JMO
That’s all I can think of!

Agree. Getting lost just doesn’t make sense with where they were found and how this played out. So weird how far away from the border they left the truck! How did they get from the truck 30 miles through desert and mountains to the border and then not contact anybody? And why? They must not have wanted to be found IMO. Very strange.
Quoting myself because I realize I said “they” must not have wanted to be found. I meant “he” because obviously LF is a child. Sorry! :oops:

Dad has been charged with child endangerment.
Around January 4, he pulled his daughter out of school
Around January 26, his phone service was disconnected due to non-payment; Around January 27, called his work and was fired.

Article is worth the read. He obviously intended to conceal her. However, it is a strange story, because he could have just driven directly into Mexico and into a larger town if this was his intention...(Maybe he did not realize that they would not need passports to get into Mexico...Maybe he figured his vehicle would be spotted if he crossed a legit border crossing)

Fort Stockton man at center of Big Bend search charged with child endangerment – The Big Bend Sentinel

Fort Stockton man and daughter found in Mexico after Big Bend disappearance – The Big Bend Sentinel

Last edited:
Dad has been charged with child endangerment.
Around January 4, he pulled his daughter out of school
Around January 26, his phone service was disconnected due to non-payment; Around January 27, called his work and was fired.

Article is worth the read. He obviously intended to conceal her. However, it is a strange story, because he could have just driven directly into Mexico and into a larger town if this was his intention...(Maybe he did not realize that they would not need passports to get into Mexico...Maybe he figured his vehicle would be spotted if he crossed a legit border crossing)

Fort Stockton man at center of Big Bend search charged with child endangerment – The Big Bend Sentinel

Fort Stockton man and daughter found in Mexico after Big Bend disappearance – The Big Bend Sentinel
i find that most ppl who live near the US / MX border are aware of this (BBM) but im thinking he didnt want the car on camera. im hoping this isnt an ugly thought that popped in my head recently re: this case.

ETA could he have had a mental break? or else that was some serious desperation to conceal.

ETA could he have had a mental break? or else that was some serious desperation to conceal.

When I read the information in the affidavit about the scene in and around the truck, with personal possessions (including toys) scattered around and birth certificates and SSN cards left in the truck, it seemed Hector was trying to stage some kind of scene or decompensating (both?). Six inch locks of LF's hair were found in the area of the truck, which is incredibly disconcerting. it

Wishing the best with all my heart for this little girl. I hope she can be placed with wonderful relatives and not go into the foster care system.

Yes, Big Bend National Park is in West Texas, on the border with Mexico.
Big Bend National Park
I hope everyone who loves rugged desert country and amazing geology gets to visit Big Bend National Park and Big Bend Ranch State Park sometime.
Except in the summer. It is brainfry hot during most of the summer; maybe stick to higher elevations in the Chisos Mtns.

I've been there. It's fantastic, but getting there is quite an adventure....it's truly remote.

I remember seeing this night sky from the Chisos Basin:

06_WhyBigBendisCreepy__ViewtheDarkestSky_6.-13899779235_28b5d3d40f_o.jpg

So many stars are visible, it's hard to pick out the constellations!!

Edit: We were there in late December (decades ago), and I saw people wading across the river at Boquillas. The Rio Grande was only ankle-deep there. That country is dry, dry, dry.

For those of you who haven't visited: Santa Elena canyon at sunset is one of the most beautiful sights in the world. The rocks of the cliff are layers of sandstone, colored various shades of red, mauve, pink, orange, tan, gold, etc. The colors really pop at sunset.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back