Found Safe TX - LF, 9, & dad, Hector Flores Jr, 49, hiking @ Big Bend Natl Park, 28 Jan 2022 *Arrest*

This all seems to be pointing to a child abduction concealed by a staged disappearance. Phoning in work 'sick', starting out when Hector's parents were away - both to buy a few days before anyone starts looking. It's pointing towards a plan to go to Mexico through a route without going through anywhere the border crossing could be recorded. That's going to involve a hike but a doable one, as proven. However looks like the scene on Big Bend is overstaged and throws up red flags. Evidence of daughters hair being cut off pointing to an attempt to alter her appearance. Leaving ID behind which suggests he doesn't need it anymore - or doesn't want it on him if he gets intercepted. Doesn't go to the authorities when he reaches Mexico so not been lost out in the desert.
The odd bit is then loitering about, wanting to purchase food, rather than moving on. Maybe he'd arranged for a pick-up to travel onwards and someone was late or never showed up?

This all seems to be pointing to a child abduction concealed by a staged disappearance. Phoning in work 'sick', starting out when Hector's parents were away - both to buy a few days before anyone starts looking. It's pointing towards a plan to go to Mexico through a route without going through anywhere the border crossing could be recorded. That's going to involve a hike but a doable one, as proven. However looks like the scene on Big Bend is overstaged and throws up red flags. Evidence of daughters hair being cut off pointing to an attempt to alter her appearance. Leaving ID behind which suggests he doesn't need it anymore - or doesn't want it on him if he gets intercepted. Doesn't go to the authorities when he reaches Mexico so not been lost out in the desert.
The odd bit is then loitering about, wanting to purchase food, rather than moving on. Maybe he'd arranged for a pick-up to travel onwards and someone was late or never showed up?

Sounds plausible to me. The problem with this, of course (for Hector) is that Boquillas is on the "back side of nowhere", and Coahuila is controlled by the Las Zetas cartel, while Chihuahua is controlled by the Juarez cartel....so random travel isn't easy. If he had arranged for a relative or friend to pick him up, he might have waited for a very long time.

It's extremely bizarre as the camp site where the car was abandoned (McKinney Springs) is a 27-mile hike/walk to the Boquillas crossing. Combine that with the affidavit describing how things were left all over the place, I do wonder what the plan was. I hope there are more details forthcoming.

It's extremely bizarre as the camp site where the car was abandoned (McKinney Springs) is a 27-mile hike/walk to the Boquillas crossing. Combine that with the affidavit describing how things were left all over the place, I do wonder what the plan was. I hope there are more details forthcoming.

Yeah, that sounds more like panic than plan. Though other aspects do seem to have been carefully planned. I dunno. I'm just glad she's safe now.

Combine that with the affidavit describing how things were left all over the place...

The affidavit described personal belongings scattered around and down a wash up to "a few hundred yards" from the truck...a few hundred yards is over a tenth of a mile. That doesn't sound like the actions of a sane or rational man.

A February 21st piece posted on the the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram website ended with this sentence that I hadn't noticed the first time I read the article. "On Feb. 16, U.S Attorney Ashley Huff filed for [Hector] Flores Jr. to be held without bond, noting he is a flight risk and poses a danger to the community."

Another article noted that whichever entity has custody (Child Protective Services?) is working on trying to place LF with her relatives.

An inventory of items left in the truck in the affidavit noted a document showing that Hector is the biological father of LF. I'm curious about the date on that document and how long LF had been living with him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Court proceedings begin for Fort Stockton man charged with child endangerment after Big Bend National Park disappearance – The Big Bend Sentinel

Article from yesterday describing more details. Hector has officially been charged with child endangerment.

According to the article, the car broke down and so they were forced on foot, so there was no plan to have someone pick them up or stage a disappearance. They were out in the elements at BBNP for 14-15 days (though LF estimated it was 20 days).

What do initials imply?
Thank you

Just standard practice when discussing criminal cases when there's a minor. Court docs and news outlets will use initials and WS follows that too.

He also did not have cell service because he would have had to pay for a carrier in Mexico.

A heads up.....
A Mexican Sim card with a prepaid data and calling package only costs about $20 with Telcel, the best network in Mexico, they even have masts in rural areas.

I know that as I spent a couple of weeks out there myself a few months ago.

:D

MOD NOTE:

Going forward, please use the child’s initials only in discussing this case to protect their privacy. Some MSM articles have already stopped using their name, and Websleuths supports that as the victim-friendly and child advocating discussion forum that we are. Previous posts are being edited in order to change the full name to initials only. PLEASE REMEMBER TO CHECK THE LINKS YOU POST TO CHANGE THEIR FULL NAME TO INITIALS IN THOSE LINKS ALSO.

Thank you for your tireless efforts to post respectfully and responsibly in support of ALL the victims, especially the children, whose cases are discussed on Websleuths.

Thanks for helping keep Websleuths amazing!

- Mad

A methamphetamine pipe found at campsite… yikes.

Wanted to live off grid, and checked out the book 1984. Maybe as some others I’ve heard of, he has drawn a parallel between that book and recent events concerning the forced lockdowns and mandates. Jmo

Flores frequented the Fort Stockton Public Library where he would conduct research on the internet and check out survivalist books, witnesses said. Books about how to survive in the wilderness as well as the novel 1984 by George Orwell were checked out but never returned, Downie said.
Court proceedings begin for Fort Stockton man charged with child endangerment after Big Bend National Park disappearance – The Big Bend Sentinel

Wanted to live off grid, and checked out the book 1984. Maybe as some others I’ve heard of, he has drawn a parallel between that book and recent events concerning the forced lockdowns and mandates. Jmo

does he have any social media, it would make clear if hes one of those. but then again if he wanted to be off grid, he may not.

Yes, I noticed that too. I have nothing against the book, (required reading in high school) but it has been used by some people to justify conspiracy theories.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back