Found Deceased TX - Miranda Rodriguez, 24, Houston, 25 Aug 2017 *found in 2023*

Police are investigating after a man working at home in southeast Houston found human remains in the backyard BBQ pit.

Officers responded to a "person down" call in the 5200 block of Peach Creek Drive at about 3 p.m. Tuesday. A worker left the property after making the discovery and called to report it, police said. When officers arrived, they found burned human bones in the built-in pit.

"It's a full skeleton with a skull," Sgt. William Dunn explained. "I don't know if any bones are missing, but it appears to be a full skeleton."

After the initial response, police got a search warrant to collect the bones and search the pit. They say the bones appear to be those of an adult and have been there for some time.

They interviewed the family members who live in the home. They said everyone is accounted for.

An autopsy will determine sex, approximate age and possibly a cause of death.

How does something like this even happen?
I feel like the remains were placed there by someone IMO.

Dunn describes the BBQ pit as a large custom brick pit that opens and closes. He said the remains appear to be a full adult skeleton that was burned.

“The barbecue pit doesn’t look too disturbed. So, it looks like it’s been a while,” Dunn said.

According to Dunn, a family with children lives in the home. They’re now being questioned about the backyard discovery.
'Pretty uncommon' | HPD says human skeleton found in BBQ pit at SE Houston home

The approximate location: 5200 Peach Creek Dr · 5200 Peach Creek Dr, Houston, TX 77017

It looks to me like there's a commercial building of some sort behind the two houses on the odd-numbered side of the street.

The house on the even-numbered side looks a lot more expensive than the houses around it. Does that make it more likely to have a custom barbecue pit?

Trevor Sullivan was last seen about 7 miles away in May.

gonna be hard to sleuth without their determination of approximately how long the individual has been dead. Was this a BBQ pit that the current residents used or one they have only just gotten around to dealing with since taking occupancy? When was that? Who were prior owners? etc and so forth. The skeletal remains "appear to have been there for some time" doesn't really help much. Some time could be months to years. My bet is on years.

gonna be hard to sleuth without their determination of approximately how long the individual has been dead. Was this a BBQ pit that the current residents used or one they have only just gotten around to dealing with since taking occupancy? When was that? Who were prior owners? etc and so forth. The skeletal remains "appear to have been there for some time" doesn't really help much. Some time could be months to years. My bet is on years.

The Googlemaps view looks like part of it might have been undergoing some renovations when the picture was taken last year, so I'm going to hazard a guess that the current family hasn't been there very long. That's just a guess on my part, though.

The update is even more confusing, particularly this: "We knocked on the door of the house where the bones were found, but no one answered. ABC13 reporter Brooke Taylor made contact with the home's registered owner on July 13, but the woman didn't have anything to say. The woman also noted she wasn't too concerned about the situation."

From the article updated this evening, they interviewed the men who discovered it. They were cleaning up the property.

These remains are now on NamUs as UP96138.

ME/C Case Number ML22-2945
Sex Unsure
Race/Ethnicity Uncertain
Estimated Age Group Adult
Height Cannot Estimate
Weight Cannot Estimate

Circumstances of Recovery Fully skeletonized and partially burned remains found in BBQ pit located behind residence.

Condition of Remains Not recognizable - Charred/burned

Hair Color Unknown
Left Eye Color Unknown
Right Eye Color Unknown

The update is even more confusing, particularly this: "We knocked on the door of the house where the bones were found, but no one answered. ABC13 reporter Brooke Taylor made contact with the home's registered owner on July 13, but the woman didn't have anything to say. The woman also noted she wasn't too concerned about the situation."

From the article updated this evening, they interviewed the men who discovered it. They were cleaning up the property.

Honestly, in this situation I woouldn't say anything to a reporter, either.

To LE, sure, but not a reporter.

@othram , is it possible to extract sufficient DNA from remains in this condition?

jmho ymmv lrr

Last edited:
Depends if the homeowner actually lived on the premises. If it's been rented to a long series of tenants, might be more difficult...

If it was unoccupied for a while at any point, the fire pit might have been used by someone who didn't even live there. Less likely but it'd be hard to rule out.

July 5, 2023

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- The burned skeletal remains found in a backyard BBQ pit last July have been identified as belonging to Miranda Rodriguez.

I wonder if there is any statement yet by anyone in the Farias family who lives there. I can’t find anything.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheMidge
Back