TX - Moriah Wilson, 25, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, 2022 *arrest* #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point, would Colfer have received all evidence the State has? Is it safe to assume then that they did not find KA's fingerprints or DNA on Mo's bike or bike case?

AFAIK the DA has said they've been turning over all the evidence they have as they receive it. They're still waiting on certain forensics, so I wouldn't assume they have the results back on that as far as DNA goes. I think it's safe to say KA's fingerprints weren't found and it's TBD on DNA. I'm expecting they'll find KA's DA inside the apartment because CS went in the apartment as well as from CS hugging MW, which CS said he went inside the apartment prior to leaving with MW and that they hugged if you read his interview. What would be really good was if MW scratched whoever the perp was getting actual skin under the fingernails like what happened with the Las Vegas reporter murder, which if that did happen the results aren't in yet.

CS gets very interested and animated when it comes to one subject, himself. JMO. He might have genuinely not noticed many things about KA. But - he is an engineer, his timeline was very accurate. It would seem to me that as a character witness, he’d be horrible, but as a factual witness, very good.
I would not put CS high up on the Emotional Intelligence scale.
I don’t think he reads people well nor is he particularly self-aware
My sense is he is more of a black and white guy who would not be aware of subtle nuance
That description actually fits quite well with most engineers I have even known
Perhaps just a coincidence or perhaps a correlation -
Just my opinion

Neighbors who live next to the Texas apartment where cyclist Moriah 'Mo' Wilson was staying say they didn't hear any gunshots on the night of her murder - and believe her killer may have used a silencer to carry out the attack.

RSBBM

Could be that the bath/sink faucets were turned on to block out/muffle sound. I’m guessing MW was asked to enter the bathroom to muffle sound and to avoid having the bullets pierce walls (tub/tile are good barriers).
No silencer required.

I once lived next door to a gent who shot himself. I didn’t hear the gun, but did think I heard someone slam the lid to a dumpster around the time it would have occurred.

Contrary to popular belief, you won’t necessarily hear handgun fire, even from next door. Speculation about silencers is pretty far out there, IMO.

MOO.

I must admit, I admire his presentation of confidence.
I believe RC is really grandstanding, honestly. He’s accepted a high-profile case, and is somewhat swindling KA and family by projecting that air of confidence—and using words that will go over well (misogynistic view, failure in the part of the APD to get details correct, etc.). I have a feeling he knows it’s an extremely uphill battle, but he’s doing exactly what KA does—project an air of confidence, even when it’s a bit of a fraud… He’s playing right into her modus operandi.

All MOO, but he’s just the right attorney for her.

The arrest warrant was signed on May 17th at 10:40pm. It was filed in court on May 19th at 8:20am. https://www.velonews.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/Arrest-Warrant-Kaitlin-Armstrong.jpg?width=730

KA was dropped off at the airport in Newark on May 18th, for a 5:09pm flight (Kaitlin Armstrong Captured in Costa Rica).

Is a warrant considered live/active at the time it's signed, or only after it's filed with the court?
Seems reasonable to assume she didn’t know there was a warrant at the time of her travel to Costa Rica.

I’d love to know if she had a phone or laptop with her in Costa Rica that could show evidence of internet searches or of her having watched news programming that would have informed her she was officially wanted.

IANAL, but I’m pretty sure an arrest warrant becomes active or “valid” as soon as the judge signs off on it. OTOH, TSA (or other government agencies) likely won’t know the warrant exists until the warrant is filed with the court and logged into the system. Or LE issues a BOLO or something. I doubt LE knew they had a runner on their hands at that particular point and time, though.
Seems nuts to me that they didn’t have her under surveillance while they were building their case…

Does anyone know where KA stayed during the days after the murder? Since she and CS were living together she would ordinarily have stayed at their shared home, but I’m assuming that didn’t happen. Anyone know where she stayed immediately following the murder?

I’m wondering if CS had any contact with KA between his police interview and KA’s flight…

RC said that before trip to NY, she checked with him?

So, she already knew him as an attorney?

Would be interesting to know, since what time? Under what circumstances?

Did she ever hire him? Knew him personally?

He is not a business lawyer, he is a criminal one. When did she meet him?

ETA: if she flew out the day after the warrant was issued (I think the dates are May 17 and 18), it indeed seems too narrow a time to find out for her. But if she already had a lawyer by that time, she’d know! All it takes is one call.

If she had a lawyer by the time she fled, it is a twist, I think.
RC said she checked with an attorney but did not say which attorney. My guess is she knows an attorney and may have talked with one, but who knows if the subject of her leaving the country was actually discussed.

MOO, but I wonder if it could be argued that any attorney who advised her that leaving the country at a time like this was fine, no big whoop, would be guilty of some sort of negligence for not pointing out that it could be perceived as an attempt to flee Justice, especially if one doesn’t return once a warrant is issued.

MOO.

Seems nuts to me that they didn’t have her under surveillance while they were building their case…

Does anyone know where KA stayed during the days after the murder? Since she and CS were living together she would ordinarily have stayed at their shared home, but I’m assuming that didn’t happen. Anyone know where she stayed immediately following the murder?

I’m wondering if CS had any contact with KA between his police interview and KA’s flight…

From what CS told the police, they were still staying together at his house Thursday night (Thursday is when they were both questioned and the house searched). On Friday morning (May 13) they walked together to get coffee and then around midday they separately went out to get new phones and CS never saw her again. On the advice of his lawyer, he separated himself from her and stayed in Lockhart over the weekend and said he didn't know where she was staying (we now know she flew to NYC on the 14th).

Per CS, his father was the last to speak with KA (he called her on the morning of the 16th and she answered and seemed OK). CS sent her a message asking her to transfer his money back into his account but says he never got a response.

From what CS told the police, they were still staying together at his house Thursday night (Thursday is when they were both questioned and the house searched). On Friday morning (May 13) they walked together to get coffee and then around midday they separately went out to get new phones and CS never saw her again. On the advice of his lawyer, he separated himself from her and stayed in Lockhart over the weekend and said he didn't know where she was staying (we now know she flew to NYC on the 14th).

Per CS, his father was the last to speak with KA (he called her on the morning of the 16th and she answered and seemed OK). CS sent her a message asking her to transfer his money back into his account but says he never got a response.
Thank you so much. I'm just joining this case and have finally finished reading all the threads & watching the dateline episode, as well as reading a bunch of the articles, but I somehow missed this specific information. Much appreciated.

My sense is he is more of a black and white guy who would not be aware of subtle nuance
Just my opinion

Was MW also an engineer? I am not sure if I am remembering this correctly. I thought I read that her undergraduate degree was in engineering.

Wasn’t there another house that KA was thought to have stopped at the night of MW’s murder or the following morning? May be her own house or one she rented out? Anyone recall something about that? We talked about it around when the AA or CS docs came out, but I cannot find it now. TIA!

Was MW also an engineer? I am not sure if I am remembering this correctly. I thought I read that her undergraduate degree was in engineering.
Yes. Dartmouth, graduated 2019, Engineering

Wasn’t there another house that KA was thought to have stopped at the night of MW’s murder or the following morning? May be her own house or one she rented out? Anyone recall something about that? We talked about it around when the AA or CS docs came out, but I cannot find it now. TIA!
Found the answer to my own question - though it’s unknown if KA did actually stop there, possibly to clean herself up.

Affidavit for a Search Warrant SW22104041: Manchester Circle, South Austin property owned by Kaitlin Armstrong - Issued by a Judge on May 12, 2022, at 6:57 pm, City of Austin Municipal Court - County of Travis, Texas.

Post in thread 'TX - Moriah Wilson, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, #4'
TX - Moriah Wilson, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, #4

Found the answer to my own question - though it’s unknown if KA did actually stop there, possibly to clean herself up.

Affidavit for a Search Warrant SW22104041: Manchester Circle, South Austin property owned by Kaitlin Armstrong - Issued by a Judge on May 12, 2022, at 6:57 pm, City of Austin Municipal Court - County of Travis, Texas.

Post in thread 'TX - Moriah Wilson, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, #4'
TX - Moriah Wilson, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, #4

Since there's no evidence we have that KA went to this property around the time of MW's murder, could be that LE were just being thorough and getting a search warrant for all of KA's and CS's properties, phones, etc.

Since there's no evidence we have that KA went to this property around the time of MW's murder, could be that LE were just being thorough and getting a search warrant for all of KA's and CS's properties, phones, etc.
Agree. We will likely not hear much more about evidence until the preliminary hearing. Until then, all we can do is discuss what we little do know, theorize (to a point), and patiently wait.

Just my opinion

I agree. I think what saves him is certain sense of humor, otherwise these traits would be more obvious.

However, such people have an eye for things mechanical, and details. This is why, about some elements of the case (times, etc), he might be a good witness.

I recall this search warrant was obtained [Manchester Circle property] including outdoor sheds based on the close proximity to the crime scene and CS's residence shared with the suspect [Fort Clark Drive]. It follows investigators were seeking weapons, and clothing worn by KA. We don't know what if anything collected by LE during the search.

Police recover a weapon

Upon executing a search warrant, police locate the two firearms at the Fort Clark Drive residence [(1)].They also located two phones, one plugged in on the counter and one inside a purse, and a US passport belonging to Armstrong. [(4)]

After the search was complete, Armstrong was told her cell phones were being collected for evidence, and she asked how detectives would get into contact with her then, confirming detectives' belief the phones located inside belonged to Armstrong. [(4)]

Detectives learned through this interview that Armstrong owned property located at Manchester Circle and issued a warrant to search the property for any evidence related to the homicide investigation. [(1)]

I agree. I think what saves him is certain sense of humor, otherwise these traits would be more obvious.

However, such people have an eye for things mechanical, and details. This is why, about some elements of the case (times, etc), he might be a good witness.
With admittedly little to go on, I’m having a hard time seeing CS’s sense of humor. I view him as a humble-bragging, narcissistic, crazy-making gaslighter.

For the reasons you cite, I do, however, think he will make a decent witness to the timeline of the hours before and after MW’s murder.

jmo

With admittedly little to go on, I’m having a hard time seeing CS’s sense of humor. I view him as a humble-bragging, narcissistic, crazy-making gaslighter.
CS is very well liked and well regarded in the Austin cycling community -- the people who actually know him personally.
The mods requested quite some time ago that posters not speculate or make judgments about CS -- he's not the suspect.

CS is very well liked and well regarded in the Austin cycling community -- the people who actually know him personally.
The mods requested quite some time ago that posters not speculate or make judgments about CS -- he's not the suspect.
True. But some of us find that Very. Hard. To. Do. And for good reasons. While he is not a named suspect, he is not a minor player in this murder melodrama IMO.

Central Casting for CLUE would find his questionable character hard to defend even if his Botox-obsessed lover was found holding the murder weapon in the library....so to speak.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members