Found Deceased TX - PFC Vanessa Guillen, 20, Fort Hood military base, items left behind, 22 Apr 2020 #2 *arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just so darn sad. Her poor family. Is she still alive? I can't imagine her just running of with someone and not contacting her mom. Worrisome. Hoping for a happy ending and SMH at the same time.

ETA: clarity
Later today my husband will come on and give some information on the finer points of your post (and possibly a few others). He's a SNCO who was stationed at Hood for about 11 years. I can help with some, but his inside info (NOT regarding this case, but the Army in general) will be more accurate then mine. We have not been at Hood for 3 years, so he has no personal knowledge of this case.

Looking forward to your husband's input!

JMVHO.

First off, hi all, I'm RosyOutlook's hubby. I'll try to answer and provide any insight I can. Just a reminder though, I've been doing this for over 15 years, the last 11 as an NCO, so everything I'll be saying is based on personal experience and existing TTPs (tactics, techniques, and procedures). If anyone has questions or needs clarification or elaboration, she'll be following along and let me know. Now that that is out of the way, on to the meat!

Exactly! This has been going on since woman first started joining the military. It’s a good old boy network. It’s as if it’s their right to harass the woman, feeling they are in a career that should exclusively belong to men. The military won’t bring these things to light because it would ruin the image they want to portray.

They make it impossible for a woman to report such harassment because she is vilified, and ostracized among the ranks for it. They are suppose to have her back, but they are her enemy. She will draw the crap assignments, the dangerous work, be set up and reported for things she didn’t do. She will not make ranks she applies for.

It’s the way of that world. I pray the family gets answers, even if they don’t like the answers they get. So much is covered up to make the military look squeaky clean.
IMO, IME, MOO

That was the way of it years ago, yes. The military as a whole, and the Army in particular has really ramped up it's sexual harassment/sexual assault training and modernized it's response. Specifically in the last 5-8 years. Unrestricted reports are taken very seriously. I have seen harassers removed from the formation to a completely different unit with a no contact order issued within 48 hours of a report being filed. I've also seen a victim be given a completely new duty assignment because she didn't feel comfortable being on the same base as her assaulter. She was cleared from post and on her way to her new station in about 2 and a half weeks. They even allowed her to give her testimony via video conference so she wouldn't have to be in the same room as him.

Exactly. Its not like she is working at a Dairy Queen and can just drop by when not scheduled. She was in the armory with highly secured and inventoried weapons.

It's actually not uncommon for a unit armorer to drop in wearing civvies (civillian clothing) on their day off. There are usually only three people in a company that can open the unit arms room, the company XO, the armorer and the secondary armorer. They are the only three people with keys. If the primary is at school and the XO is busy, they're calling the secondary to come in and open the arms room, day off or not.

MOO here is my working theory. I have no names just a scenario that in my mind fits the few pieces of information we have.

VG was being harassed by a higher up. At first she tried to ignore hoping it would stop. Harasser escalated. Multiple times. Finally VG informs him she will be filing a report. Harasser is a superior and able to change her work schedule, orders her to meet him or go with him. He's able to order others to change records, etc. VG likely was murdered by same person harassing her. Harasser likely committed a heinous crime to cover up the less serious crime. Evil.

All MOO.

While all possible, unlikely. There is no changing schedule, everyone shows up at 0630 PT formation, then 0900 work call. Lunch from 1130-1300. Work from 1300-1700. That's our day, everyday. Now if you're talking about duty rosters CQ, Staff Duty, what have you, that is done up alphabetically on a DA 6. To get that changed the supervisor needs to talk someone higher than him to get approval, Sergeants don't have that kind of authority. As far as ordering others to change things to cover up for him, any Soldier is supposed to refuse an unlawful order. The sheer amount of people involved to make this possible makes it unlikely.

A SgtMjr may be in charge of the battalian website.
But MOO it's more likely been removed because he is under investigation and in a day or so there will a replacement or acting SgtMj on the page while the investigation plays out.
Even if he is only a harrasser and not a murderer his career should be toast.

If he was removed because of an investigation, that spot on the page will remain empty until the investigation is complete. The Ops SGM will be the acting CSM until the actual CSM is cleared of wrong doing and returns to his post or is found guilty and replaced. If he's found guilty of something, you all will know. Once proceedings are done the guilty party's info is put out include what they were doing guilty of and their punishment.

On your podcast? With everything going on, they should be answering questions as to whether or not a member of the leadership group was removed and is it related to the missing person's case.

If not, they shouldn't have any issues addressing it but if I'm the family, I'm screaming for any answers

I wouldn't mention that person here though

Why should they be answering questions? They are operating under the Uniform Code of Military Justice, and do not comment on ongoing investigations. Not only could it compromise their investigations, but what if he's under investigation and found to have nothing to do with it? Now he has to deal with the backlash of everyone and their brother having an opinion of nhim. Full on witch-hunt. Also consider that every CSM and above has their name on a placard outside their door or in their yard. You want to release the angry mob on a guy who may have done nothing?

Mps need to clean up their act unless they want
"Lazier than a Ft. Hood MP investigating harrassment"
to become a thing.

Lazier than Fort Hood MPs investigating anything is already a thing.

TX - TX - PFC Vanessa Guillen, 20, Fort Hood military base, items left behind, 22 Apr 2020

Murder investigation underway, Man found dead in Harker Heights | kcentv.com
Bringing this over, because it is really bothering me. This happened after Vanessa went missing. This was the first I had heard of it. His body was found May 19. (Do we need a thread for him?) I can't help but wonder did Brandon know something? Was he maybe getting ready to report what he knew? It's just too coincidental for my liking.

Completely different units on the opposite side of post. While possible they knew each other, it's not very likely. They worked and lived over 4 miles apart.

MOO it's about impossible for a ranking individual with no business, such as an inspection or a meeting to get into a male or female barracks without notice.

It's actually very easy to do. We have senior leadership in the Barracks daily. Our Battalion CSM walks the barracks every week. When I was a SGT I checked on every one of my barracks Soldiers at 0530 every morning. It's part of good order and discipline, hygiene is important. An unhealthy Soldier is an injury or accident waiting to happen.

Regimental Engineer Squadron, 3d U.S. Cavalry Regiment
This is the unit Vanessa worked at.
3rd Cav. Regimental engineer squadron. There was a change over in CSM's (Command Sergeant Major) in May 2019 in Pioneer squad. ( not sure which squad Vanessa was in) All under the Garrison command of III Corp.

Now, I have spent a lot of time looking at official Fort Hood web pages and fb pages today, and I can tell you that there hasn't been a single page that I've visited that hasn't been bombarded by 'Where's Vanessa' comments and missing posters. The Army are under siege!
I'm not sure where blogger who posted here got the 69th air artillery from as I think that's the wrong unit, Vanessa was small arms not artillery wasn't she?

I didn't see her MOS anywhere, but they have Small Arms Repairers in every unit. To your point though, she was in 3d CR, not 69th ADA. They are completely different units.

I don’t think there are any female sergeants at fort hood? Unless I’m looking at the fort hood webpage incorrectly. I only see men and we know Vanessa told her mom it was a sergeant harassing her.

There are over 30,000 Soldiers stationed at Fort Hood. SGT is the second most populated rank in the Army behind SPC, I 100% guarantee there are female SGTs stationed at Fort Hood. You're not seeing them because the site only lists command teams. The only enlisted members you'll see there are CSMs.

That was my undestanding, that she was a 91F. MOO she was the inventory clerk.
Thats why I think she may have uncovered wrong doing and was disappeared.
One missing weapon is the end of many careers.

91F is small arms repair, not necessarily the armorer. If she has a 91F she could have been the armorer for the FSC, but shouldn't have been. Conflict of interest to have your Foxes be your armorers, but not my pie...

Would the ranking person in question be an officer or a senior NCO?

My impression is that visits by officers of any rank to barracks are rare and almost always occur, as you stated, as part of formal inspections, investigations etc. Ranking NCOs, however, could be a different matter and they may have far more discretionary access to barracks.

Though I imagine that the more senior the NCO, the less un announced visits occur, the unannounced presence of a very senior NCO might not be unheard of. In addition, relatively senior NCOs might be assigned to man a barracks phone / desk as a means to keep discipline.

I wish I had first hand knowledge of military life to be able to give clearer information...

You are correct in that Officers don't just stop by the barracks. Senior NCOs usually drop by here and there but SGT/E5 are always there. Your first line leader should be at your room At Least 3 times a week. As to your other point CQ (charge of quarters) is usually a SGT and a lower enlisted runner.

There are probably a good number of them. But, the majority of the units at Fort Hood are combat units. As a result, they are probably going to have a fewer number of female soldiers, and a correspondingly fewer number of female sergeants.

All combat units has support units. Every Brigade Combat Team is made up of 4 Combat arms battalions, an engineer Battalion and a support Battalion. Of those 30 companies only 8 of them have purely male only formations. Just the infantry companies. There are female tankers and engineers now.

Edited for spelling and clarity.

Last edited:
I have asked repeatedly "When a person submits information through the family website or LULAC who has access to the information?" No response. I personally be nervous that it could be traced back to the person who submitted it.
IMO Information would eventually get leaked out to the public.

I don’t think there are any female sergeants at fort hood? Unless I’m looking at the fort hood webpage incorrectly. I only see men and we know Vanessa told her mom it was a sergeant harassing her. Missing Soldier's Mom Says She Was Sexually Harassed By A Sergeant Before Vanishing

Says “he”

“[Vanessa] said it was stalking and verbal harassment. He would look at her [in] some type of way that would make any woman feel uncomfortable,” Gloria told Crime Online in a story published Tuesday. Gloria, who speaks Spanish, relayed the information through her daughter Mayra Guillen, who translated for her.

A Sergeant is any with a rank of E-5 and above, also known as a Non-Commissioned Officer. There are a ton of female NCOs in the Army and at Fort Hood.

First off, hi all, I'm RosyOutlook's hubby. I'll try to answer and provide any insight I can. Just a reminder though, I've been doing this for over 15 years, the last 11 as an NCO, so everything I'll be saying is based on personal experience and existing TTPs (tactics, techniques, and procedures). If anyone has questions or needs clarification or elaboration, she'll be following along and let me know. Now that that is out of the way, on to the meat!

That was the way of it years ago, yes. The military as a whole, and the Army in particular has really ramped up it's sexual harassment/sexual assault training and modernized it's response. Specifically in the last 5-8 years. Unrestricted reports are taken very seriously. I have seen harassers removed from the formation to a completely different unit with a no contact order issued within 48 hours of a report being filed. I've also seen a victim be given a completely new duty assignment because she didn't feel comfortable being on the same base as her assaulter. She was cleared from post and on her way to her new station in about 2 and a half weeks. They even allowed her to give her testimony via video conference so she wouldn't have to be in the same room as him.

It's actually not uncommon for a unit armorer to drop in wearing civvies (civillian clothing) on their day off. There are usually only three people in a company that can open the unit arms room, the company XO, the armorer and the secondary armorer. They are the only three people with keys. If the primary is at school and the XO is busy, they're calling the secondary to come in and open the arms room, day off or not.

While all possible, unlikely. There is no changing schedule, everyone shows up at 0630 PT formation, then 0900 work call. Lunch from 1130-1300. Work from 1300-1700. That's our day, everyday. Now if you're talking about duty rosters CQ, Staff Duty, what have you, that is done up alphabetically on a DA 6. To get that changed the supervisor needs to talk someone higher than him to get approval, Sergeants don't have that kind of authority. As far as ordering others to change things to cover up for him, any Soldier is supposed to refuse an unlawful order. The sheer amount of people involved to make this possible makes it unlikely.

If he was removed because of an investigation, that spot on the page will remain empty until the investigation is complete. The Ops SGM will be the acting CSM until the actual CSM is cleared of wrong doing and returns to his post or is found guilty and replaced. If he's found guilty of something, you all will know. Once proceedings are done the guilty party's info is put out include what they were doing guilty of and their punishment.

Why should they be answering questions? They are operating under the Uniform Code of Military Justice, and do not comment on ongoing investigations. Not only could it compromise their investigations, but what if he's under investigation and found to have nothing to do with it? Now he has to deal with the backlash of everyone and their brother having an opinion of nhim. Full on witch-hunt. Also consider that every CSM and above has their name on a placard outside their door or in their yard. You want to release the angry mob on a guy who may have done nothing?

Completely different units on the opposite side of post. While possible they knew each other, it's not very likely. They worked and lived over 4 miles apart.

It's actually very easy to do. We have senior leadership in the Barracks daily. Our Battalion CSM walks the barracks every week. When I was a SGT I checked on every one of my barracks Soldiers at 0530 every morning. It's part of good order and discipline, hygiene is important. An unhealthy Soldier is an injury or accident waiting to happen.

I didn't see her MOS anywhere, but they have Small Arms Repairers in every unit. To your point though, she was in 3d CR, not 69th ADA. They are completely different units.

There are over 30,000 Soldiers stationed at Fort Hood. SGT is the second most populated rank in the Army behind SPC, I 100% guarantee there are female SGTs stationed at Fort Hood. You're not seeing them because the site only lists command teams. The only enlisted members you'll see there are CSMs.

91F is small arms repair, not necessarily the armorer. If she has a 91F she could have been the armorer for the FSC, but shouldn't have been. Conflict of interest to have your Foxes be your armorers, but not my pie...

You are correct in that Officers don't just stop by the barracks. Senior NCOs usually drop by here and there but SGT/E5 are always there. Your first line leader should be at your room At Least 3 times a week. As to your other point CQ (charge of quarters) is usually a SGT and a lower enlisted runner.

All combat units has support units. Every Brigade Combat Team is made up of 4 Combat arms battalions, an engineer Battalion and a support Battalion. Of those 30 companies only 8 of them have purely male only formations. Just the infantry companies. There are female tankers and engineers now.

It looked like she went for a quick jog/workout during her lunch. Can you picture a scenario for us what happens if a soldier doesn't show up after lunch.

They did an extensive search on the 25th and I know they issued a BOLO after 4 days, the CIC pressed the public for information. But I am interested in those first hours. Chain of command kicks in obviously.

Anyway thank you for your time and explanation so far...

It looked like she went for a quick jog/workout during her lunch. Can you picture a scenario for us what happens if a soldier doesn't show up after lunch.

They did an extensive search on the 25th and I know they issued a BOLO after 4 days, the CIC pressed the public for information. But I am interested in those first hours. Chain of command kicks in obviously.

Anyway thank you for your time and explanation so far...

Honestly, if she's seen in workout clothes at 1300 then she was probably off duty. In which case nothing happens because no one of any import knows that she's missing, not until she didn't show up for PT formation the next day. Now for me, if one of my Soldiers doesn't show up after lunch, I ask their first line "Hey where's so and so?" If they don't know they find out. If they can't get ahold of them, we check with the roommate, known friends, etc and if still nothing we go to the room. By then I've notified 1SG that I have a Soldier that didn't come back from lunch and give him the steps we've already performed and what we're about to do. Usually if we don't see, or have contact, with a Soldier by 1330 we are at their barracks room beating the door down. If there is no answer, we get the key from Brigade Staff duty and 1SG comes to open the room. If they're not there, after that it's usually passed higher. 1SG talked to commander and the info is passed up to higher echelons. I'm not sure how NCO's handled the situation though, this is just how I would handle it.

Edited for spelling and clarity.[/QUOTE]

Sniped by me
Thank you sir for your service. It is truly appreciated.

The information you provided was extremely helpful.

Very informative - thank you for your time here on WS.
JMO

There was a video a week before her disappearence that might be what they are referring to.
Killeen restaurant releases surveillance video of missing Fort Hood Soldier Vanessa Guillen before disappearance
There was a video a week before her disappearence that might be what they are referring to.
Killeen restaurant releases surveillance video of missing Fort Hood Soldier Vanessa Guillen before disappearance

Hummn still dont see a mention of a white van. That looks like a very nice Jeep Wrangler. Which wasnt it said she was going to get a new car. Was the Jeep hers? Was it someone she works with? Was she driving or a passenger? Maybe the mom thinks the person that owns this Jeep is involved but if she was being harrased she certainly wouldnt have been driving or in this white Jeep.

Thanks, this great.

"It's actually not uncommon for a unit armorer to drop in wearing civvies (civillian clothing) on their day off. There are usually only three people in a company that can open the unit arms room, the company XO, the armorer and the secondary armorer. They are the only three people with keys. If the primary is at school and the XO is busy, they're calling the secondary to come in and open the arms room, day off or not."

Do you think VG, a PFC wold be able to be the secondary armorer?

Last edited:
I don't know about you, but I consider the fact that her superior marked her as accounted when she wasn't there is proof that he's the one who killed her.
Well it's definitely a huge red flag. However, I'm sure people get lazy all of the time, and mark them "present" by asking if someone else saw them. Although they are guilty of making a false account of her being present, it doesn't necessarily mean she/he's guilty of taking her.

I don't know about you, but I consider the fact that her superior marked her as accounted when she wasn't there is proof that he's the one who killed her.
Remember April 22nd was mid covid19 lock down. Military life was disrupted as was civilian life, normal on post activities such as Formations, PT, ceremonies, etc would have been cancelled or done remotely during lock down. Maybe check in was by phone, email, online by SS number.
I think the regs for Fort Hood during lock down are posted on their FB page, when I get time I'll take a look. Moo.

Hey all! I've noticed a few comments and questions for my husband. We are in the middle of a move right now so things are a bit hectic for us. But, he has already said that later today he will be able to help answer anything else that comes up

Remember April 22nd was mid covid19 lock down. Military life was disrupted as was civilian life, normal on post activities such as Formations, PT, ceremonies, etc would have been cancelled or done remotely during lock down. Maybe check in was by phone, email, online by SS number.
I think the regs for Fort Hood during lock down are posted on their FB page, when I get time I'll take a look. Moo.

Here is an Air Force formation. Can't find exact army photo.

Airmen adapt to COVID-19 working conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member